European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

10-14-2017, 03:18 PM   #23
two+2
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: F80 ZCP Grey Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBACE View Post

Enjoy what it’s like OP!!
Yes, exactly this.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2017, 08:17 PM   #24
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by LTM_BMW View Post
I'm 27 at the moment; electrical engineer stuck in dead end job building and installing bioreactors. So prospect of owning one of these ///M cars is unfortunately not in the near future
Spend the money on getting out of your dead-end job.
Appreciate 2
      10-15-2017, 04:35 PM   #25
DS_BMW
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M4 comp, 22 M240

Just lease one. If you can get a decent deal and go low on the options. It will allow you to get out if needed. Heck I sold my one F80 to carmax and made 2k. You would never be able to do that with a non M BMW.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2017, 10:35 PM   #26
Roadkiller
Philosophiae Doctor
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 BSM

What's it like? That first kid. Man, you're nervous but wait with anticipation. The day arrives and you are ecstatic that you have such a thing in your life. You realize that it's not perfect but it's yours so you'll love it with everything you got. You protect it and hope no one will do attempt to harm it. It will piss you off from time to time but its yours. You always smile at even the little things you learn about it. When it's time to let it go, you'll miss the hell out of it.

Yep, my first M was an E92 and I miss her.
Appreciate 1
      10-15-2017, 11:36 PM   #27
georgere
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 BSM

I love it and feels like you get what you paid for; however, it is not a bargain.
My previous car was 325i with manual gearbox. That car was a bargain.
      10-16-2017, 11:18 AM   #28
IDBGOD
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

M3 has been my dream car too. Thing is once you finally get it you are already on to the next "better" thing. It's just human nature and we always want more.

I really do like the car. It's an amazing vehicle that puts a grin on my face and I look back parking it every time.

Not quite so sure I really "love" it though. Could also be the color. Alpine White with the black highlights and CF roof looks great but it's just a little too mainstream.

Should have went with Yas or Sakhir lol...Individual has some really nice options too.

I'd have to see what all they do with the next gen M3/4....so far the F80 has been pretty awesome.

I actually prefer the M3 over the M4 also. Much more aggressive stance from the rear.

335/440i would be a nice upgrade from your 320d. Or just Yolo it and go strait for the //M. It's your life do whatever you feel you need to do. Make the decision and don't look back.

Last edited by IDBGOD; 10-16-2017 at 11:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2017, 05:33 PM   #29
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

F80 is great and super fun. But no offense, a lot of cars are super fun compared to a diesel sedan

Get an e36 or e46 m3 or e85/6 z4m and get after it.

You could even get the king of cheap fun... a modded Miata and it would be more fun than a stock 320d...
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2017, 10:28 PM   #30
///M-er-gized
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 540i

In my case, having an M3 was really awesome until I finally realized how bad of a decision it was to not get full leather. Now, every time I get in my car, I just want to kick myself in the ass when I see that cheap plastic dash.

Don't get me wrong...it's an absolutely fantastic car, and that's why it's so frustrating, because the full leather makes it feel a 1000x more luxurious and exclusive.
      10-16-2017, 11:09 PM   #31
Memphis17CPM4
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 CP M4

Garage List
2017 BMW M4  [10.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by dch37 View Post
back on topic... it is Awesome!! Yes, you may need a track to really stretch it's legs, but even on a daily commute you have tons of fun.. every single day I drive this thing to work and back.. and this includes driving the kids around... and I have a grin on my face... every day... best money spent to date.... excluding the wedding ring I gave my wife
Sadly the only thing that gives me this feeling apart from my 320D is my Macbook. I guess I still have a long way to go
My laptop gives me that feeling too. But I think it has more to do with the content I am watching and the warmth the laptop provides...
Appreciate 1
      10-17-2017, 03:16 AM   #32
jmg
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: G82 M4C X-Drive

Garage List
2022 G82 M4C X-Drive  [9.85]
2018 F80 M3 CS  [9.87]
2019 i3 BEV  [0.00]
Quote:

I'm 27 at the moment; electrical engineer stuck in dead end job building and installing bioreactors. So prospect of owning one of these ///M cars is unfortunately not in the near future
Money doesn't matter as much as fulfillment. If you really love your job, that's more than a lot of people can say, and you can FIND a way to move up. Start your own business?

However, it sounds like you hate it. Personally, I would get out of that situation. Luckily you are only 27 so get moving before you weigh yourself down with a mortgage, kids, or an M3 payment. Take that lower paying job that has a future while you can afford to.

2022 G82///M4 Competition X-Drive - KW-HAS, EBC Bluestuff, Millway Race Camber Plates, Cup2 Connect*, PSI High Flow Midpipe, Lightweight Front Lip, M Perf Flow Through Wing
Previous • 2018 F80 ///M3 CS • 2016 F80 ///M3
IG: Raging_G82
Appreciate 3
      10-17-2017, 08:17 AM   #33
LTM_BMW
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 320D 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M-er-gized View Post
In my case, having an M3 was really awesome until I finally realized how bad of a decision it was to not get full leather. Now, every time I get in my car, I just want to kick myself in the ass when I see that cheap plastic dash.

Don't get me wrong...it's an absolutely fantastic car, and that's why it's so frustrating, because the full leather makes it feel a 1000x more luxurious and exclusive.
I think I would be fine without the leather I think the instrument cluster is the only thing that seems a little dated to me. The full LCD cluster looks nice
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2017, 08:52 AM   #34
Spritztour
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

BMW Switzerland configuration of my M3 2018 : $125,000.

I paid $76,000

I can actually afford it in the USA. 😄 Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2017, 09:01 AM   #35
IDBGOD
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:

Honestly, for a high performance sports car/sedan I don't really care for the luxury. It's an added plus, not a must. If I wanted a luxury vehicle I'd go for a loaded out S550 or look at Audi...not buy an M3/4. BMW's have never been that luxurious from an interior perspective IMHO and especially not on the 3 series/4 platform.

It's all about the drive

Last edited by IDBGOD; 10-17-2017 at 09:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2017, 11:35 AM   #36
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Find a junkyard leather dash and swap it - there are plenty of totals just on this forum
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2017, 12:22 PM   #37
backagain
just a fool
China
Rep
Drives: 2016 SO coded M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spritztour View Post
BMW Switzerland configuration of my M3 2018 : $125,000.

I paid $76,000

I can actually afford it in the USA. 😄 Thank you!
The base MSRP starts at $150k in China
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2017, 12:38 PM   #38
Zero_Cool
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 18 M3 Imola 6spd

Did you take the prom queen home? Every time I sit down and start my M4 it's that same feeling of excitement... I always look back at it as I walk away. I catch people breaking their necks when I pass by. Sure other cars may have that affect, but for me I'm a bmw guy and I'm content with my M4. Is it the fastest? No. Does is sound like a GT350? No. But for me it gets my **** hard 60% of the time, it works every time.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2017, 12:40 PM   #39
Aaaaaaaaa
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: The other M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Quote:
Find a junkyard leather dash and swap it - there are plenty of totals just on this forum
Lol
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2017, 04:10 PM   #40
///M-er-gized
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I think I would be fine without the leather I think the instrument cluster is the only thing that seems a little dated to me. The full LCD cluster looks nice
That's what I thought. Then I sat in my friends Porsche with leather literally everywhere, including the frick'n sun shades and steering column, and then I sat in an M3 with full leather. That was a mistake. Now I always ask myself, what the fuck was I thinking?

Even more frustrating is that the money is a complete non issue. I could have easily afforded it. It's not as if I had budget constraints. If I did, then I'd probably be ok with not having full leather. I just thought I didn't need it...Stupid.
      10-18-2017, 11:51 AM   #41
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
That's what I thought. Then I sat in my friends Porsche with leather literally everywhere, including the frick'n sun shades and steering column, and then I sat in an M3 with full leather. That was a mistake. Now I always ask myself, what the fuck was I thinking?

Even more frustrating is that the money is a complete non issue. I could have easily afforded it. It's not as if I had budget constraints. If I did, then I'd probably be ok with not having full leather. I just thought I didn't need it...Stupid.
It's more stupid that you are letting that mess with you. and if budget is a non issue get a lambo?

Appreciate 0
      10-18-2017, 09:58 PM   #42
///M-er-gized
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
Quote:

It's more stupid that you are letting that mess with you. and if budget is a non issue get a lambo?

Budget is a non issue only up to a point (i.e., Up to about $140k).

Plus, I'd get a Ferrari over a Lamborghini any day.

I actually might go with the new M5 next time.
      10-18-2017, 11:13 PM   #43
dreventador
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X5, Hellrot F80 M4

It's probably the only material thing I've owned that has never gotten boring. It's weird, it just never ever fails to amaze me, always puts a smile on my face.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2017, 04:56 AM   #44
stooker
F80 n00b
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 F80 / '06 S2K

OP, my path to the M3 started with first wanting a fully loaded F30, but then the M bug hit. For not all that much more I was in M territory, but I still could not justify the cost at the time. Not that I couldn't afford it, it's just a ton of money for four wheels where I come from (in the US).

So in walked the M2 and I thought that was the answer. It was getting nothing but rave reviews when it was released, it's smaller and cheaper than the F8x, and to me it looked great (although not F8x great). However, the first time seeing one in person was a little underwhelming. I realized that at some point, you can cram all the performance you want into any given platform, but in the end, it's still has the DNA of its root platform and it starts to lose appeal, and that's where I found myself with the M2. Not sure if that makes sense to you, but I see a lot of people here bashing cars like the STI, Civic Type R, etc, so it's along those lines. There's a point where it stops being just about raw performance, as there's so much more to a car. For me, the M2 falls in an odd segment where I think to myself, if you're going to spend that much money anyways, what's the point of an M2? Might as well go bigger. The previously mentioned cars (STI, etc.) actually make more sense to me because the price point is so much lower. Everyone's line in the sand is different though, and with that said, it might be the solution for you if money is the biggest factor keeping you from the M3/M4. Then you can brag to all of us that you're getting similar performance for much less cost.

So fast forward, and I just got my M3 about 3-4 weeks ago. I haven't put many miles on it yet, but I know I made the right choice. BTW, you said the M4 is your dream car and that an M3 "will do", but I can tell you that you would not be settling if you get an M3, just wanted to put that out there. I'll echo IDBGOD in that the M3 has a more aggressive stance... the M4 rear looks droopy and saggy to me.

Going back to your original question, though, what's it like? Others have said it. Puts smiles on faces... can't help but look back after parking it, etc. etc. I don't disagree with any of that, but if budget doesn't allow (factoring fuel, insurance, maintenance, etc.), look elsewhere, or as others have said, grab life by the balls and get a better paying job to achieve your goals.

2018 F80 / 2006 S2K / 2005 WRX / 1990 E30 325i
Appreciate 0