BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Wheels | Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack

03-23-2018, 11:55 PM   #1
1M4
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 16 M4 Alp/Sakhir CF Roof 19"

Vibration in tires between 60-80 and dealer says that’s fine ?

When I’m going up a ramp fairly fast I notice a front wheel vibration at 60 or 65 and it gets smoothed out around 75 or 80 .That has always been a balance issue to me but dealer says it’s nothing.Any suggestions?2 tires are new ,one front and one rear.Is that the cause,different amounts of tread?I was going to replace all 4 at the same time but all the tires still had plenty of tread and dealer said it wasn’t necessary .The 2 that I replaced had nails in spots that could not be patched.All are the same Michelin Pilot super sport.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2018, 04:59 AM   #2
SMV_M4
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F82 M4 AW/SO

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1M4 View Post
When IÂ’m going up a ramp fairly fast I notice a front wheel vibration at 60 or 65 and it gets smoothed out around 75 or 80 .That has always been a balance issue to me but dealer says itÂ’s nothing.Any suggestions?2 tires are new ,one front and one rear.Is that the cause,different amounts of tread?I was going to replace all 4 at the same time but all the tires still had plenty of tread and dealer said it wasnÂ’t necessary .The 2 that I replaced had nails in spots that could not be patched.All are the same Michelin Pilot super sport.
If the wobble starts at a given speed but goes away rather than progressively worsen as you accelerate, it's most likely the balance issue created between asymmetrical tire wear and thus dimension and weight. I'd recommend replacing the 2 you didn't previously asap or you may be able to find a solution by playing with tire pressures or wheel weighting for balance. It is strange that it only occurs once a given speed is reached but goes away. It could have something to do with resonance at that speed as resonance can magnify vibration if the frequencies are the same. Same principle as breaking a glass by singing a loud note of the same frequency as the glass' harmonic note. The resonance intensifies the pressure wave of the sound and the glass can't handle the stress. Sorry for the tangent, just trying to offer some potential causes. The only times I've had wheel wobble were from improper balance, minute alignment issues, and wheels that has been bent by a 6" deep pothole. In all cases, the wobble becomes progressively worse with increasing speed and does not improve at any speed above.
2008 335xi Coupe / JB/CR - Sold
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2018, 09:55 PM   #3
Racing Instructor
Private
Rep
Drives: M4 Tuned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1M4 View Post
When I’m going up a ramp fairly fast I notice a front wheel vibration at 60 or 65 and it gets smoothed out around 75 or 80 .That has always been a balance issue to me but dealer says it’s nothing.Any suggestions?2 tires are new ,one front and one rear.Is that the cause,different amounts of tread?I was going to replace all 4 at the same time but all the tires still had plenty of tread and dealer said it wasn’t necessary .The 2 that I replaced had nails in spots that could not be patched.All are the same Michelin Pilot super sport.
I had that same issue with my F82. Turns out the dealer didn't match the high spot of the tire with the low spot of the rim and didn't road force balance the wheels. So they did it again and this time I asked for the road balance report and that took care of it.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2018, 12:13 PM   #4
High Octane
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '24 BMW M4

Was always told that you should replace both fronts or both rears together, unless they are really close in tread life. I'm almost positive that is your problem.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2018, 12:20 AM   #5
1M4
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 16 M4 Alp/Sakhir CF Roof 19"

That’s been my understanding but serv adv said it wasn’t necessary

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Octane View Post
Was always told that you should replace both fronts or both rears together, unless they are really close in tread life. I'm almost positive that is your problem.
I will try the road force balance and if that doesn’t work I will replace the ones that don’t balance. Sometimes you just need to ignore the service dept and go with what you know. Especially when they indicate that there is no vibration,that should have indicated to me that they were clueless.Do I really need to drive them in the car to show them what a front end vibration is?My old service advisor moved on to another brand and left me with a bunch of newbies.
Appreciate 0