Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

12-05-2016, 12:05 PM   #67
dzu
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 F82 Austin Gelb DCT

If you push the button with DCT in N, you have to press twice, one to stop the engine, one to put DCT in Park. With DCT in R or D, you push only once, tha car will shut off and turn Park.
Appreciate 1
      12-05-2016, 02:22 PM   #68
brianeck
Part Time Firetruck Crash Barrier
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340ix Mineral Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzu View Post
If you push the button with DCT in N, you have to press twice, one to stop the engine, one to put DCT in Park. With DCT in R or D, you push only once, tha car will shut off and turn Park.
I coded my car to have the 1 button push turn off (6mt). It's greatly preferable.

If, for some reason, I want my radio/electronics to stay on (every once in a while if I leave someone in the car so they can keep the music going etc) if I open my door before I turn off the car, all the electronics stay on.

Best of all worlds. Plus my mirrors fold, my blinker for a lane change stays on for 4 blinks instead of three, I have euro MDM and headlights, no stupid warning notifications in the GPS when I get in and out of the car, and no stupid "do not reverse with your finger in your butt" warnings either.

Code your car if its a big friggin deal, its really a great thing to have these options.

m340ix Mineral Grey/Tacora Red
Appreciate 2
Naz241627.50
CanAutM321115.00
      12-05-2016, 02:27 PM   #69
Naz24
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: W205 AMG C63 / E70 X5M

Yeah i had mine coded.

Press off button once, and as soon as i open the door, everythign shuts down.

2017 C63
2012 X5M
SOLD: 2015 M3; 2007 X3 M Sport; 2014 X3 M Sport 35i; 2004 X5 4.4i; 1994 325i
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2018, 03:46 PM   #70
NPuter
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzu View Post
Bumping this thread as a new owner who had to search about this. (Coming from Audi where one push and then opening the door turns everything off).

I knew about this before having the car delivered to me. However, the transport driver who delivered the car to me (purchased car from a different state) did not. He thought neutral was park and didn't know you had to push twice to turn the ignition off. He told me he thought it was strange how the headlights would stay on when the car was off. I'm like that's because you're leaving the ignition on! Even worse, he wasn't pulling the ebrake.

Got in the car to leave after he unloaded it, and there it was sitting in N with the ignition on and the ebrake down. Almost passed out.

Have no idea how it got to me safely. Still freaking me out a bit
      03-19-2018, 04:06 PM   #71
AlterZgo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 23 X3 M40i, 21 911S, 24 Taycan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NPuter View Post
Got in the car to leave after he unloaded it, and there it was sitting in N with the ignition on and the ebrake down. Almost passed out.

Have no idea how it got to me safely. Still freaking me out a bit
Wow. What a dumbass! What kind of person whose job involves operating cars would ever NOT pull the parking brake. I would set it every single time regardless of what transmission the car had.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2018, 04:12 PM   #72
NPuter
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlterZgo View Post
Wow. What a dumbass! What kind of person whose job involves operating cars would ever NOT pull the parking brake. I would set it every single time regardless of what transmission the car had.
No kidding! And it's not like this car has some weird/hidden electronic parking brake switch. If I didn't know the car and had any question about the car being in park, I'd pull that thing. Maybe he was pulling the ebrake when it was on the trailer and just forgot when he gave it to me.

I guess it would've been pretty obvious to him when getting out of the car if it was going to roll unsecured. Still, I'm left feeling pretty lucky nothing happened. And it's less than ideal that this is my first impression of the car...

Last edited by NPuter; 03-19-2018 at 04:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2018, 05:03 PM   #73
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NPuter View Post
No kidding! And it's not like this car has some weird/hidden electronic parking brake switch. If I didn't know the car and had any question about the car being in park, I'd pull that thing. Maybe he was pulling the ebrake when it was on the trailer and just forgot when he gave it to me.
The car also providers you with a blaring warning and chimes on the dash to tell you the car is in neutral ... kinda hard to miss ...
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2018, 05:17 PM   #74
HoldenMI
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 6MT

Damn, the DCT sounds complicated. Glad I got the manual.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2018, 05:46 PM   #75
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

i have no problem being ridiculed for this, but this thing is what frustrates me the most about these cars!

(of course it also says something about how great the cars are in the first place)
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2018, 05:47 PM   #76
backagain
just a fool
China
Rep
Drives: 2016 SO coded M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoldenMI View Post
Damn, the DCT sounds complicated. Glad I got the manual.
A manual car can fend off fools from leaving it in neutral?
Appreciate 2
RickFLM410968.00
SD ///M42992.00
      03-19-2018, 06:37 PM   #77
HoldenMI
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by backagain View Post
This fool always leaves it in first.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2018, 06:54 PM   #78
backagain
just a fool
China
Rep
Drives: 2016 SO coded M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoldenMI View Post
This fool always leaves it in first.

DCT's parking gear can be automatically engaged with a single push of the power button, after the car is coded.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2018, 08:13 PM   #79
NPuter
Private First Class
Rep

I mean we owners obviously know how the car works, but it almost seems to me that this is designed to lead the uninformed to letting the car roll down a hill...

Quote:
At least with manual, someone who is able to drive manual will know to leave it in gear or pull the ebrake. It's with this semi-auto that doesn't have a typical park mode where people can get confused. Seems with auto, people completely forget an ebrake exists...

Quote:

DCT's parking gear can be automatically engaged with a single push of the power button, after the car is coded.
Will definitely be doing that

With all this said, LOVE the car. Hopefully I can get past the thought that I seemingly narrowly escaped potential disaster soon :P
      03-20-2018, 10:30 AM   #80
valeram
Major
Rep
Drives: 992 TTS, 991.2 GT3 T, F80 M3 C

As what others were saying, it is what it is. We can code it to work like an Audi if you prefer. I do have an Audi and sometimes I like the radio to remain on after I opened the door when I am waiting. But most of the time, I like the the electronics off. On the side note, I always put my car in gear (MT) or in Park (DCT/PDK) and handbrake on every time I park it. Just a habit through the years.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2018, 10:36 AM   #81
tropicalypso
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Occasionally

I was told by several BMW Genius' to never park with the handbrake (and to only rely on the DCT to park. The only exception was on hills.

Any truth to this?
      03-20-2018, 10:44 AM   #82
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalypso View Post
I was told by several BMW Genius' to never park with the handbrake (and to only rely on the DCT to park. The only exception was on hills.

Any truth to this?
Did they give you a reason why? Or maybe they were saying to put it in gear so it goes into park and not to leave it in neutral and just rely on handbrake?
      03-20-2018, 12:35 PM   #83
Darth One
drunk poster
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS | E46 M3

so last night i tried reversing into the garage, and turning off the car while the car was still in reverse gear. IT DROVE ME NUTS!!

it turned off the car with one button push, but seeing that DCT lever in the reverse position bothered me immensely. it's a far worse solution than pushing the button twice.

these are serious issues, BMW. are you prepared to address the mental health issues you are creating in your drivers??
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2018, 12:36 PM   #84
NPuter
Private First Class
Rep

Still trying to get over the thought of the transporter possibly wrecking my brand new car for such a stupid reason before I was even able to see it - haven't really been able to enjoy it yet.
Guess I just need to forget about it since nothing happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by valeram View Post
As what others were saying, it is what it is. We can code it to work like an Audi if you prefer. I do have an Audi and sometimes I like the radio to remain on after I opened the door when I am waiting. But most of the time, I like the the electronics off. On the side note, I always put my car in gear (MT) or in Park (DCT/PDK) and handbrake on every time I park it. Just a habit through the years.
Doesn't make a huge difference to me, but I'll probably end up coding it since the Audi way is what I prefer.

Quote:

Any truth to this?
I can't see a reason besides reducing wear. I usually always set the parking brake regardless of if I'm driving auto or manual (Audi is 6MT) unless I'm on a completely flat surface.
      03-20-2018, 05:03 PM   #85
drgmt
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: M4

Not this again lol
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2018, 05:59 PM   #86
SD ///M4
///Multiple
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Coupe | M3 | Z4M Roadster

Garage List
Quote:
Not a very smart "Genius" if they gave you this advice. Parking brakes should ALWAYS be used when parking a car. The only exception to this if you are tracking or autocrossing some cars you shouldn't put the parking brake on after a track session because the brake pads could stick to the disc and leave a deposit.

Appreciate 1
BMWM5NYC496.00
      03-20-2018, 06:13 PM   #87
BMWM5NYC
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 F10 Monte Carlo Blue M5

I have said it before and I will say it again. If you treat the DCT like a MANUAL with an Auto Mode. Instead of an Automatic with a Manual mode you have no issues. With a manual you don't have a "park" position. So you shut the car off in gear (1st or Reverse) and engage the parking brake and you are done. If you leave the DCT in Gear, just like a Manual, and shut it off , it goes into "Park". Engage the parking brake and you are Done. Easy/Peasy. It really isn't Rocket Science. Your DCT should be treated as a MANUAL with an Auto Mode. Not and Auto with a Manual mode
SD ///M42992.00
      03-20-2018, 07:23 PM   #88
NPuter
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWM5NYC View Post
I have said it before and I will say it again. If you treat the DCT like a MANUAL with an Auto Mode. Instead of an Automatic with a Manual mode you have no issues. With a manual you don't have a "park" position. So you shut the car off in gear (1st or Reverse) and engage the parking brake and you are done. If you leave the DCT in Gear, just like a Manual, and shut it off , it goes into "Park". Engage the parking brake and you are Done. Easy/Peasy. It really isn't Rocket Science. Your DCT should be treated as a MANUAL with an Auto Mode. Not and Auto with a Manual mode
Pretty sure everybody here knows that.
What I'm saying is I'd worry about people jumping into the car who don't know/aren't told that and see what looks like an auto. I.e. the transport guy who said to me "it was confusing until I realized neutral is park" and left my car unsecured on the side of the road ready to roll into traffic.

I can imagine this happens with valets as well, although I never valet my cars.