GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3 / M4 Photos and Videos

02-08-2014, 09:27 PM   #45
Brosef
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by damnitBobby View Post
I agree that it may give it a rather subdued look..

but to some people having an M car for the sake of telling other people it's an M car isn't a priority
I agree. I'm picking black for this M3 for a few reasons in order of importance.

1. Lack of better colors. I'd instantly pick a darker blue like Interlagos or a lighter gray like Space Gray, but the other colors just don't work for me. I like them more for other people's cars than my own (except for YMB - I can't help but feel that anyone ordering that color is making a mistake). I might even consider going individual to get San Marino. Only other color I'd consider is white, but I don't like white on the sedan - makes it look too much like a toy. I think it suits the coupe better.
2. I like the understated nature of black. I don't want to yell to people that I have an expensive car. I prefer something more subdued that only true enthusiasts recognize. I will also probably debadge for this reason.
3. I think the front bumper can look a bit busy, and the black will help mute some of that.
4. Nothing looks as stunning when it's clean as black.

having said that, I do have some misgivings about black
1. maintenance is a pain in the ass.
2. I wish they offered jet black or at least an M-exclusive black (Jerez, Carbon, Tanzanite, etc.)
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2014, 09:32 PM   #46
Brosef
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealStig View Post
This is not nit picking. There is a good portion of the interior that does not have leather which used to be all leather in the previous car. Yes, now the area around the LCD is fully leather vs it wasn't before, but that's besides the point. You don't take away something like this, I hope it's just a mistake.

Also, there is a lot of black standard leather all around the car, doors, dash, etc. When you picked full/extended before (and even now in M5 and M6), all those would be in the same color, not black. Yes there is contrast, but to be honest with you, I don't want contrast. If I pick silverstone full leather, I want the whole dash and doors to be silverstone leather, not half and half.

EDIT : Have a look at this thread to see what full leather should look like. Conceptually, this is also how the outgoing M3 is. http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=706792
I have to disagree. I think the leather stitched dash and leather upper doors on the new cars are a huge upgrade. only thing the outgoing model had over this is the leather on the center console sides. are you seriously telling me you'd pick the leather on that console over the dash and upper doors if given a choice?

also, I disagree with others in this thread who think the new CF trim looks cheap. that was an expensive option on the outgoing model, and only available as M performance parts. conversely, that carbon leather seemed so gimmicky to me. I had it on my car and hated it. looked so dull and didn't offer any contrasting gloss from the rest of the interior.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2014, 10:01 PM   #47
michaelw9
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82 Yas Marina Blue M4

Quote:
This is not nit picking. There is a good portion of the interior that does not have leather which used to be all leather in the previous car. Yes, now the area around the LCD is fully leather vs it wasn't before, but that's besides the point. You don't take away something like this, I hope it's just a mistake.

Also, there is a lot of black standard leather all around the car, doors, dash, etc. When you picked full/extended before (and even now in M5 and M6), all those would be in the same color, not black. Yes there is contrast, but to be honest with you, I don't want contrast. If I pick silverstone full leather, I want the whole dash and doors to be silverstone leather, not half and half.

EDIT : Have a look at this thread to see what full leather should look like. Conceptually, this is also how the outgoing M3 is. http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=706792
I agree with you here. There still is a little bit of black leather on the door panel with extended in my E92 with Bamboo beige, but most of the rest of the door is not.
It would not bother me if the side of the console were black, as I like a bit of the contrast, but the plastic just sucks. The additional leather on the dash and the rest of the door is awesome, but it's an insult to call this "Full" when you are still paying a premium for this option. Hopefully as Sauve stated, this will be different in the production cars, but I won't hold my hopes up for that.

We will just have to see who wants to go for a group-in and buy some BMW leather hides and have them covered ourselves
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2014, 10:09 PM   #48
Race_Doc11
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 G82 M4

Garage List
2023 BMW G82 M4  [0.00]
2018 F80 M3  [10.00]
2013 Audi RS5 (Sold)  [10.00]
2008 E93 M3 (Sold)  [10.00]
Went today and I'm still not sold on the car. I liked the M4 more but I couldn't get over the busy bumper and the hood lines. I'm not sure really if I want to get one On another note the car needs a drop.
here are few pictures.

Last edited by Race_Doc11; 02-08-2014 at 10:15 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2014, 10:16 PM   #49
DrtyJrze
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3

I was at the PAS as well today. For those considering ordering black just a warning you won't see much body detail. Also, the car had tons of swirls/scratches in the paint already. It was a color I thought about, but chances are slim to none after seeing it in person.

I liked the look of the interior a lot. The leather dashboard was nice and the seats looked really comfortable (it was locked when I was there). For those with kids, good luck with the silver interior. I can't see that color staying clean for long.

The Austin Yellow on the M4 was nice, but too loud for my taste. The M4 also looked better to me in person. If you wanted the coupe but were feeling anxious don't, IMO.

What I left thinking tonight is I REALLY dislike the available color palette. I don't want white, and I'm a little nervous SO might be too bold of a color to drive everyday. I might even consider waiting until the launch hysteria clears and see what they offer year 2 as far as colors and add ons.
      02-08-2014, 10:20 PM   #50
RealStig
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brosef View Post
I have to disagree. I think the leather stitched dash and leather upper doors on the new cars are a huge upgrade. only thing the outgoing model had over this is the leather on the center console sides. are you seriously telling me you'd pick the leather on that console over the dash and upper doors if given a choice?

also, I disagree with others in this thread who think the new CF trim looks cheap. that was an expensive option on the outgoing model, and only available as M performance parts. conversely, that carbon leather seemed so gimmicky to me. I had it on my car and hated it. looked so dull and didn't offer any contrasting gloss from the rest of the interior.
No, I want the side of the center console to be leather AND I want the doors to be full leather with the SAME color. Full leather means FULL leather, it doesn't mean half the color you choose and half black. Where do they get ideas like this? Look at the old M3, old M5, old M6, new M5, new M6, all of them have the same thing. Never before they had this two colored black based contrast leather.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2014, 10:37 PM   #51
Brosef
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
No, I want the side of the center console to be leather AND I want the doors to be full leather with the SAME color. Full leather means FULL leather, it doesn't mean half the color you choose and half black. Where do they get ideas like this? Look at the old M3, old M5, old M6, new M5, new M6, all of them have the same thing. Never before they had this two colored black based contrast leather.
I'd also like to have full leather covering everything, including the lower doors. and while we're at it, I'd like a year's worth of prepaid gas, an extra set of rear tires, and free gummy bears. but it isn't happening. this is still the 3-series. they need to leave something on the table for the 5-series (and 7-series) cars to have available that are exclusive to them.

I'm sorry, but this is one area where I think we should be more than satisfied with what they've offered relative to the last generation. it's a clear step forward I'm excited about.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2014, 10:42 PM   #52
RealStig
Banned
Rep

Quote:
I'd also like to have full leather covering everything, including the lower doors. and while we're at it, I'd like a year's worth of prepaid gas, an extra set of rear tires, and free gummy bears. but it isn't happening. this is still the 3-series. they need to leave something on the table for the 5-series (and 7-series) cars to have available that are exclusive to them.

I'm sorry, but this is one area where I think we should be more than satisfied with what they've offered relative to the last generation. it's a clear step forward I'm excited about.
I don't think we are understanding each other, so let me say it in another way

I want the same amount of leather with the same amount of color coverage my current M3 has, at a minimum, the new car should provide me that with the extra premium I pay for it, don't you think? They can put more leather in other places, i don't care if the trunk is made of leather, but I don't want to give up anything from the current model because I really like it.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2014, 10:46 PM   #53
Brosef
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I don't think we are understanding each other, so let me say it in another way

I want the same amount of leather with the same amount of color coverage my current M3 has, at a minimum, the new car should provide me that with the extra premium I pay for it, don't you think?
I think you're wrong about that. explain to me what other parts of the car in the e9X M extended leather are covered that are not in the new car? as I see it in the pictures, it seems that it's only the transmission tunnel sides, which is minor compared to the addition of the leather stitched dash and leather stitched door tops. not to mention what an upgrade the contrasting stitching is. please explain.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2014, 10:52 PM   #54
RealStig
Banned
Rep

Quote:
I think you're wrong about that. explain to me what other parts of the car in the e9X M extended leather are covered that are not in the new car? as I see it in the pictures, it seems that it's only the transmission tunnel sides, which is minor compared to the addition of the leather stitched dash and leather stitched door tops. not to mention what an upgrade the contrasting stitching is. please explain.
What about the color? You are not reading my sentences. Look at the COLOR of the leather as well as coverage. When you picked EXTENDED (now full) fox red novillo in the current M3, this was what you got : http://i27.tinypic.com/34s5s06.jpg

You see how all of the leather is one color? Did you also look at my other post where I linked the M5 which was also the same way? Do you see anywhere any black leather like in the M3? In the M3, the glove compartment is black for example, so is HALF the leather on the doors. That's not how it was before.

So we are talking about two different things :

- The missing leather in the center console which is plastic now.
- The color of the leather in dash/console/doors.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2014, 11:04 PM   #55
Brosef
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
What about the color? You are not reading my sentences. Look at the COLOR of the leather as well as coverage. When you picked EXTENDED (now full) fox red novillo in the current M3, this was what you got : http://i27.tinypic.com/34s5s06.jpg

You see how all of the leather is one color? Did you also look at my other post where I linked the M5 which was also the same way? Do you see anywhere any black leather like in the M3? In the M3, the glove compartment is black for example, so is HALF the leather on the doors. That's not how it was before.

I understand your point on the color. not arguing there. but what about on total coverage? do you at least accept that total coverage has gone up significantly (and in arguably the best places - on the door tops where you can rest your am and on the dash, where it is always in view). furthermore, do you not think that the contrast stitching is a huge improvement?

I think this new full leather option is a huge upgrade. I guess you don't because it's not offering the same level of coverage as BMW's higher end models.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2014, 11:12 PM   #56
michaelw9
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82 Yas Marina Blue M4

Quote:

There is actually a strip of black leather above the red leather on the door, and under the trim. For F8x, they just reversed these.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2014, 04:19 AM   #57
tisme
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 in Sakhir Orange

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suave View Post
Full leather M3 does not have Alcantara headliner but the Nav is absolutely a 10 inch screen
Oh, UK brochure which my dealer email quotes 8.8" screen, see page 4. Note UK has many standard items that are options in the US, but we pay more for ours.

http://www.redoak.co.uk/images/m3pricelist.pdf
      02-09-2014, 05:47 AM   #58
tisme
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 in Sakhir Orange

Garage List
Quote:
It looks extremely cheap to me, I'm sorry. Not like how it looks like in the pictures. It's basically covered in shiny plastic. It's not like leather carbon fiber in the current M3 model which is much better. You know obviously to each his own, this is one of those things that you will never have a "right" answer, but the carbon fiber trim was probably the biggest disappointment for me.
Thanks for comments, I'll stick with the standard trim then.
      02-09-2014, 05:51 AM   #59
Suave
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: GT4 and M2 in progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by tisme
Quote:
Ok so no ski pass, no armrest, and no cup holders in backseat. Full leather M3 does not have Alcantara headliner and the Nav is absolutely a 10 inch screen
Oh, UK brochure which my dealer email quotes 8.8" screen, see page 4. Note UK has many standard items that are options in the US, but we pay more for ours.

Depends what exactly is "screen" that is being talked about. What I mean is that the width of the Nav unit from end to end is 10.2. However the actual usable screen area that displays information I would agree is about 8.8. Same as any TV that is actually a little smaller. Is the Nav itself is 8.8 then screen would be even smaller. Again I am only speaking for US Model. On the attached Car Panel you will see it does say 10.2
Attached Images

02-09-2014, 06:09 AM   #60
Suave
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: GT4 and M2 in progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by tisme
Quote:
It looks extremely cheap to me, I'm sorry. Not like how it looks like in the pictures. It's basically covered in shiny plastic. It's not like leather carbon fiber in the current M3 model which is much better. You know obviously to each his own, this is one of those things that you will never have a "right" answer, but the carbon fiber trim was probably the biggest disappointment for me.
Thanks for comments, I'll stick with the standard trim then.
CF Trim is the standard and absolutely real CF. The CF leather is just that. It's leather with a CF look that does not actually have CF. Conversely the new CF trim is the real deal. The Gloss treatment may not be to your liking but to me it helps the CF pop in the interior and adds good protection but I can see your point how someone may mistake it for a plastic piece since the Gloss Is a bit thicker than it should be. The CF leather seemed to scratch and wear not as gracefully.
      02-09-2014, 07:15 AM   #61
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Keep in mind that the info-sheet you attached a picture of is known to include a number of errors:

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=940596

It may very we'll be that some arbitrary measurement of the navigation hardware equals 10.2", but when talking about the actual LCD and it's viewable area, that will be 8.8".

Incidentally, the 10.2" dimension corresponds to the size of the navigation screen in the F10 (both 5 and M5), which a number of other items on this "fact" sheet also happen to be particular to. In other words the source of the errors can be established with high probability and consistency.

Quote:
Depends what exactly is "screen" that is being talked about. What I mean is that the width of the Nav unit from end to end is 10.2. However the actual usable screen area that displays information I would agree is about 8.8. Same as any TV that is actually a little smaller. Is the Nav itself is 8.8 then screen would be even smaller. Again I am only speaking for US Model. On the attached Car Panel you will see it does say 10.2
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2014, 08:08 AM   #62
JTO24
never could compete with Lloyd Braun
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDeliverator View Post
This is the only way the guys\gals eating my dust will see and feel this.

This made me lol hard.. Great movie!
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2014, 08:09 AM   #63
JTO24
never could compete with Lloyd Braun
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3 6MT

I'm excited! I'm heading over in a little bit. If anyone there I'll be the bodybuilder in a white thermal lol
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2014, 08:19 AM   #64
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by RealStig
Quote:

Look at the new M5. There is plastic on the side panels on the center console.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2014, 08:33 AM   #65
RealStig
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
Look at the new M5. There is plastic on the side panels on the center console.
I am looking at it, where exactly is the plastic? The entire car is pretty much covered in leather.

I'm sorry, coming from a E90 M3, the new car is definitely a step up, but as much as some people here claim and definitely not "up to M5 standards", no way. All they did was to use the same leather material, but padding on the seats, the type of plastic used, dash, everything is cheaper material. There is a night and day difference between this car and M5 and there should be, I am just responding to people saying the interior of the M3 is close to M5.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2014, 08:58 AM   #66
onatuesday
Captain
Rep
Drives: Hyundai

Quote:
Originally Posted by tisme View Post

Interesting that the UK gets so many options a la carte instead of having to splurge on annoying packages with unnecessary things. I just want HUD and comfort access and a backup cam.

Also interesting that the UK gets blue trim instead of CF trim as standard. That's not even an option in the US (supposedly).

And yes I know the UK version is much more expensive
Appreciate 0