European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Professional Motorsport Racing Discussion (IMSA, DTM, Formula 1, Grand-AM, Le Mans, IRL, WRC, etc..)

05-23-2014, 10:45 AM   #1
tmpendergrass
Rep
Drives: BMW 323i

When are we going to we the M4 GTE raecar

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
I have been waiting to see the new BMW race cars and BMW returning to Le Mans. I never understood what the point of the Z4 race car was since it's not even an M car and the Z4 has an engine that has never been in a road going Z4.

It will be interesting to see if they can use the i6 turbo or if like the e46 they chose to homologate an "M4 GTR". My understanding is that when the S54 got hit with BoP restriction, it wasn't competitive so they decided to build a V8 race engine that ended up being the precursor to the S65.

Part of me wishes they would make the M2 the base for their GT cars but either way I just want to see BMW back in WEC and Le Mans with real M cars.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2014, 10:10 PM   #2
DieGrüneHölle
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M

I don't see them running a turbo-6 against the other big V8's in the class. I don't think they would be competitive, unless they got some major help from imsa. With the S65 now out of production. They won't be able to use that block to base an engine off.

In my opinion if BMW believes in turbos so much, that every car in the showroom is now turbo. They should go racing with FI. But they won't, they will leave the series once the Z4 GTE has run its course and continue in DTM.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2014, 07:39 PM   #3
Silver E90
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i

Nissan_Global GtR LMP 1 14th Oct debut. Ford &Bmw next 2 OEMs to join the LMP1 Club radiolemans.com exclusive launch content later
12:52pm - 23 May 14

That's a tweet that was sent out from Radio Le Mans' Hindy yesterday. I'd love to see it.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2014, 03:33 PM   #4
tmpendergrass
Rep
Drives: BMW 323i

I'd LOVE to see BMW in LMP1! BMW has always built great engines and LMP1 is really all about drivetrain technology. I find DTM and F1 really boring. DTM is basically Nascar-bonfiber.

I love lmp1 but I really hope BMW doesn't abandon GT racing.
Appreciate 0