Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

02-04-2018, 10:47 AM   #67
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pheerlx View Post
Awesome. But I assume you don't dump the clutch on downshifts like I did?
I can't believe how many comments this thread has gotten...first off, you did nothing to your drivetrain. Yea, you gave it a bit of a shock, but trust me tis no big thing. If just doing that caused an issue on any manual trans car, think of the issues everyone would have. (and I don't disagree it scares the chit out of you). But seriously, no big thing...

Cause until recently, cars didn't even rev match! And, yes, BMW put their rev match in to help prolong the life of the manual trans and clutch. Porsche put theirs in to make the car faster on the track (BMW did the opposite, to be clear - as Porsche's is on for track mode, off for street, BMW's is the opposite )

Now take FatRear08 - no rev match, drives his DD perfectly every day, has probably done what you have done at least once - and the car is fine. He just drives it - clutch in, shift gears, little bit of gas (hint, Rev MATCH is different than getting the revs close), clutch out. All good - granted, it is a Honda, but still

So seriously, unless you do what you are doing and over rev the engine, you are not going to cause any harm - just don't do it on a daily basis.
Appreciate 1
Aaaaaaaaa7559.00
      02-04-2018, 10:51 AM   #68
Aaaaaaaaa
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: The other M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_999 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by pheerlx View Post
Awesome. But I assume you don't dump the clutch on downshifts like I did?
I can't believe how many comments this thread has gotten...first off, you did nothing to your drivetrain. Yea, you gave it a bit of a shock, but trust me tis no big thing. If just doing that caused an issue on any manual trans car, think of the issues everyone would have. (and I don't disagree it scares the chit out of you). But seriously, no big thing...

Cause until recently, cars didn't even rev match! And, yes, BMW put their rev match in to help prolong the life of the manual trans and clutch. Porsche put theirs in to make the car faster on the track (BMW did the opposite, to be clear - as Porsche's is on for track mode, off for street, BMW's is the opposite )

Now take FatRear08 - no rev match, drives his DD perfectly every day, has probably done what you have done at least once - and the car is fine. He just drives it - clutch in, shift gears, little bit of gas (hint, Rev MATCH is different than getting the revs close), clutch out. All good - granted, it is a Honda, but still

So seriously, unless you do what you are doing and over rev the engine, you are not going to cause any harm - just don't do it on a daily basis.
Thanks for all he input. Yea like I said it was on accident because I forgot I changed my M2 button to Sport+ instead of Sport because race car driver obviously.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2018, 11:22 AM   #69
captainaudio
World's Foremost Authority
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Cab - Cayenne GTS - Jag XK
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton FL - Lime Rock CT

I drove MT cars for many years before I learned to heel and toe rev match down shifts when I got involved with the Skip Barber Racing School. I never damaged a car or wore out the clutch prematurely. I even survived one or two unintentional shifts from 4th to 1st while aiming for 3rd. I suspect that most, or at least a large percentage, of MT drivers do not rev match and seem to be doing fine.

That being said IMO rev matching, whether done by the driver or by the car, is a good practice and it can easily become second nature so I see no reason not to do it.

I remember the first time I drove an MT car. I had only been driving for about a year at the time and all of my experience was with the family's Chevrolet with a (Powerglide) MT. I was on the market for a car of my own and test drove a car (I think it may have been a Dodge) with a "Three on the tree" MT. I could not get the car moving without it bucking. At the time it seemed that driving an MT was something I would never learn how to do. A bit later I had a job where I had to drive a delivery van with an MT. After about an hour of practice in the parking lot I figured out how to make a smooth start and shortly after that I bought my first MT car in a long string of MT cars that continues to this day.

My point is that these things (Smooth starts, rev matching, etc.) become second nature once you learn them and muscle memory is in place. We don't have to think about which way to turn the wheel to go right or left, which pedal makes the car accelerate and which one slows it down we just do it. The same holds true for rev matching once you have given it a bit of practice. It is a good practice and it is not difficult to learn how to do.

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center - Society of Automotive Historians - Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (0nly a VP) - BMWCCA - Porsche Club of America - M Gruppe - Polish Race Drivers of America (PDRA) - Glen Club (Watkins Glen International) - Jaguar Club of Southern New England

Last edited by captainaudio; 02-04-2018 at 03:59 PM..
Appreciate 0