GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

01-06-2015, 01:52 PM   #45
MENAC3
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

I had a little rattle on cold start & while revving the car slightly.
I installed Gintani Catless Dp's yesterday. They sound great BUT the rattle has increased drastically while revving and driving the car. I thought it was the flaps, being that I have them unplugged...Was told it was my waste gates....???
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2015, 12:00 PM   #46
brianeck
Part Time Firetruck Crash Barrier
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340ix Mineral Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wei718 View Post
Pull the exhaust flaps plug and I bet you won't get those funny looks anymore
Hmmmm so you think its the actual flaps themselves rattling? I hadn't thought of that. I thought the sound was just a function of the fact that the flaps are open and the car is temporarily revving way higher then it usually does at idle. Once the RPMs drop back to sane levels it seems to quiet down, but that said it also does seem to me that the flaps close at some point as well.

Actually to add to that its not necessarily just a rattle that bothers me, its more the unbelievable decible level for low RPMS which really just doesn't sound so great. The car sounds great loud at higher revs, but being extra loud during cold starts at 1400/1500 RPMS isn't my favorite symphony.

m340ix Mineral Grey/Tacora Red
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2015, 09:13 PM   #47
Wei718
Major
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianeck View Post
Hmmmm so you think its the actual flaps themselves rattling? I hadn't thought of that. I thought the sound was just a function of the fact that the flaps are open and the car is temporarily revving way higher then it usually does at idle. Once the RPMs drop back to sane levels it seems to quiet down, but that said it also does seem to me that the flaps close at some point as well.

Actually to add to that its not necessarily just a rattle that bothers me, its more the unbelievable decible level for low RPMS which really just doesn't sound so great. The car sounds great loud at higher revs, but being extra loud during cold starts at 1400/1500 RPMS isn't my favorite symphony.
On cold start the flaps are closed, you can surely try unplugging them to see how you might like it.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2015, 10:15 PM   #48
Jay1994
Banned
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Opening the valves fixes the rattle but creates a bit of drone
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2015, 12:42 PM   #49
JustinCredibleM
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '15 GT-R, '02 996TT

The rattle is still there it open for me.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2015, 05:07 PM   #50
MENAC3
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinCredibleM View Post
The rattle is still there it open for me.
With basically the same set up as you, I am experiencing the rattle as well. I was told you hear the wastegates a lot more with the catless Dp's and stock exhaust because it is not deep/loud enough to cover the rattling noise. I'm surprised you still hear it with the akra..
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2015, 05:12 PM   #51
JustinCredibleM
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '15 GT-R, '02 996TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by GEvangelista1 View Post
With basically the same set up as you, I am experiencing the rattle as well. I was told you hear the wastegates a lot more with the catless Dp's and stock exhaust because it is not deep/loud enough to cover the rattling noise. I'm surprised you still hear it with the akra..
I am back on the stock exhaust (with downpipes), but I heard the rattle with the Akra and more so with the stock exhaust now. But its kind of embarrassing to have while you're at a car meet and everyone stares because of the rattle lol.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2016, 08:44 PM   #52
CG Precision
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 335i

There are two possible rattles, as others have already mentioned in this thread. Most often it is the exhaust flaps. We have installed our VSC-2 valve controller on a car with a rattle and can instantly hear it stop by opening the valves. For this problem, you can also try lubricating the bushings for the valve shafts as that will allow more torque to apply pressure on the flap, due to less frictional losses. Test this with a little WD-40 and if it helps, buy something designed for high temp like this:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B000WK...wGL&ref=plSrch

The other possible rattle source is the wastegates. Our shop f30 335i had a little bit of this with a catless dp but went away when we installed our new catted dp. If this is your problem, definitely expect it to get worse if you install catless dp's. Of course, in any case you may just want to pickup a VSC-2
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2016, 07:34 AM   #53
soapman72
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 M Sport, 2016 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDragon View Post
I'm taking my car in this morning for an exhaust rattle. So annoying. Worse with cold start up. Sounds like something is loose. Metallic sounding as you all mention. I'm gonna have them look at all the fittings and see if something needs tightened. I hope it doesn't fall off on the way in. Lol. I have the MPE.
I installed my M Performance exhaust. I had a terrible rattle during cold start. I can say for sure that the clamps that hold the large diameter pipes that bypass the muffler were loose (my fault) and they were causing an aweful rattle. I torqued them ad no more rattle.

For the record, the rattle was coming from the carbon fiber tips.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2016, 07:41 AM   #54
soapman72
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 M Sport, 2016 M4

For me , it was the clamps on the large diameter pipes nect to the muffler. Because they were loose, the whole muffler and tailpipes were able to vibrate much more than normal. This caused the tips to make the noise, but they werent actually loose.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2016, 09:47 AM   #55
moonsault270
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 15 F82

Finally got around to bringing mine for service last week. Two heat shield nuts loose and they realigned and secured the clamps.

The rattle is only marginally better. I am about to call again. Such a hassle.

I have the MPE with CF tips.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2016, 08:18 AM   #56
RussianPete
Captain
Russia
Rep
Drives: AY M4

Its pretty cold here in the morning in Miami, we get down to like 55 and ive noticed the past 2 days that my car rattles on cold start, after the car warms up it goes away.
      01-13-2016, 11:22 AM   #57
shockin330i
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2016 ZCP M3

I had the same issue. Turns out my performance exhaust is cracked