Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs)

View Poll Results: Would you spend money to clear bra and tint on a lease car?
Keep it looking good! Clear bra and tint! 28 30.43%
Spend that cash on something else! 64 69.57%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

12-14-2017, 07:37 AM   #67
espressoo
Major
Rep
Drives: '18 M3 Comp|'23 X5 45e|'24 X7

I can understand expecting a premium job done for an $8K price tag. Maybe not 100% OCD perfect but pretty darn close. It's also unacceptable to hear that the interior was damaged on a brand new car by the shop. Whomever is working on my car (especially a detailer) should treat it with more care and respect. A complete PPF wrap involves a lot of miscellaneous trim parts being removed from your car. They basically strip the car of all the removable trims to tuck in the film where possible. So it's a labor of love do it right. Hopefully the shop will stand behind their work and make the situation right for the customer.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2017, 01:23 PM   #68
GotM?
Banned
Rep
Drives: Bmw m3

Last edited by GotM?; 01-22-2018 at 05:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2017, 02:24 PM   #69
Clark_Kent
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Retired

Sorry to hear you're going through this. I hope it all works out for you. I would be upset if this happened to my brand new car. Keep us posted.
Appreciate 1
GotM?59.00
      12-15-2017, 11:38 AM   #70
espressoo
Major
Rep
Drives: '18 M3 Comp|'23 X5 45e|'24 X7

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotM? View Post
* 12/12/17 I actually recommend you do only the front end. Pre-cut will be the best way, like that you don't have to worry about the installer scratching or cutting your paint.
Quote:
If you're looking for the right spot, just stop by and see their work before you spend your hard earned money. Make sure the job is being worked on by him and only him. Good luck bud.
So not only was your interior scuffed up, the exterior was scratched up as well? Did they let a newbie try to install your custom wrap? That's messed up.

What color is your car? And will you decide to post up pics of the problem areas?
Appreciate 1
GotM?59.00
      12-15-2017, 09:04 PM   #71
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep
Drives: '24 GT4RS, '24 Macan GTS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by espressoo View Post
Quote:
* 12/12/17 I actually recommend you do only the front end. Pre-cut will be the best way, like that you don't have to worry about the installer scratching or cutting your paint.
Quote:
If you're looking for the right spot, just stop by and see their work before you spend your hard earned money. Make sure the job is being worked on by him and only him. Good luck bud.
So not only was your interior scuffed up, the exterior was scratched up as well? Did they let a newbie try to install your custom wrap? That's messed up.

What color is your car? And will you decide to post up pics of the problem areas?
The leather I saw. It was a small area (give or take) no larger than your palm on the front dash driver side. I couldn't really tell where the damage came from because Detailers don't use anything that would damage it like that. It was just weird.

The other one was extra coating that dried on the rear seat. That's easily removable.

The problem with pre cut PPF is you get very clear lines you can see all over your car. If you are very picky, that is far worse. Just trust me on that.

P.S. There where a few more areas on the door trim area too that was scuffed. Sadly because it's leather, once it's scratched or damaged it is more or less the way it is.

That would be my end of opinion on this whole thing. I am not going to lose friends over this mess.
GotM?59.00
      12-15-2017, 10:32 PM   #72
GotM?
Banned
Rep
Drives: Bmw m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by espressoo View Post

Last edited by GotM?; 01-22-2018 at 05:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2017, 06:47 PM   #73
adonisdetail
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

In our industry, like many service based industries quality can range from shop to shop. Overall the industry standard for paint protection film has increased exponentially over the years. The important part to always remember is that paint protection film is just that, PROTECTION. It will never be "perfection" in a way that minor imperfections can be visible due to the nature of film installations. This does not mean that the film will be an eye sore or visually unattractive. A competent installer armed with the right skillset and the right ideals will leave you with a better value than when you dropped your vehicle off.

Unfortunately, sometimes cars slip through the cracks, we are all human. But there is value in choosing the RIGHT installer to work on your car, and this oftentimes means doing research that is counter intuitive. Just because a shop has stellar reviews, does NOT mean that you will ultimately be happy with the quality of the work. The right shop will take the time to educate you and answer all questions you may have, if someone is telling you things will be "perfect" or things sound too good to be true, this is oftentimes a red flag.

It is always my recommendations to invest in the person behind the blade, rather than a specific brand or product. Understand that no two installations will be identical and that its important to look at the whole process from a higher level. No shop should ever try to hide damage for a vehicle, or run away from customer concerns. Things do happen, but it is always up to that business to make it right. That, in my eyes is the mark of a true leader.

To the debate whether PPF is worth it or not on a leased vehicle. Its completely up to you and your personality. If you don't care about rock chips, nor worry or cringe when driving behind vehicles on the freeway, then it is not for you. But there is a very significant portion of the market that will definitely see value in protecting their care for the sake of peace of mind, even if it does not have a direct monetary value.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2017, 06:51 PM   #74
Aaaaaaaaa
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: The other M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAD View Post
In our industry, like many service based industries quality can range from shop to shop. Overall the industry standard for paint protection film has increased exponentially over the years. The important part to always remember is that paint protection film is just that, PROTECTION. It will never be "perfection" in a way that minor imperfections can be visible due to the nature of film installations. This does not mean that the film will be an eye sore or visually unattractive. A competent installer armed with the right skillset and the right ideals will leave you with a better value than when you dropped your vehicle off.

Unfortunately, sometimes cars slip through the cracks, we are all human. But there is value in choosing the RIGHT installer to work on your car, and this oftentimes means doing research that is counter intuitive. Just because a shop has stellar reviews, does NOT mean that you will ultimately be happy with the quality of the work. The right shop will take the time to educate you and answer all questions you may have, if someone is telling you things will be "perfect" or things sound too good to be true, this is oftentimes a red flag.

It is always my recommendations to invest in the person behind the blade, rather than a specific brand or product. Understand that no two installations will be identical and that its important to look at the whole process from a higher level. No shop should ever try to hide damage for a vehicle, or run away from customer concerns. Things do happen, but it is always up to that business to make it right. That, in my eyes is the mark of a true leader.

To the debate whether PPF is worth it or not on a leased vehicle. Its completely up to you and your personality. If you don't care about rock chips, nor worry or cringe when driving behind vehicles on the freeway, then it is not for you. But there is a very significant portion of the market that will definitely see value in protecting their care for the sake of peace of mind, even if it does not have a direct monetary value.
One very happy customer here
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2017, 09:22 PM   #75
adonisdetail
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by pheerlx View Post
One very happy customer here
Thanks! Was a pleasure working on your F80!
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2017, 10:49 AM   #76
ddas
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 Daytona Violet M3

It's easy to jump to one's side when you've only heard one side of a story. I am not laying blame nor am I excusing accountability but we all know the saying "there's 3 sides to every story".
      12-22-2017, 11:25 PM   #77
titan7
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X3 M40

If you are asking this question you need it. I did it on my 911 and it’s a lease but I can’t stand chips. Lease, finance, cash, I have done all three and do not keep performance German cars longer than the factory warranty, but I do care about how they look while under my care. Some folks don’t care about paint chips, decide which camp you are in and act accordingly.