BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

07-21-2014, 11:26 PM   #45
jc05e46m3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 F90 M5 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levente_CSL View Post
why the hell would you buy these if the OEM ceramic brakes are already made by brembo for BMW. whats the fucking point ? lol
Attached Images

'15 /// M4 - YMB/SO - Sold
'12 E92 ///M3 ZCP - AW/FR - Sold
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 04:50 PM   #46
acey81
First Lieutenant
Sweden
Rep
Drives: F15 X5 40d M-sport; F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackkk View Post
I think that the stock steel brakes will be okay with better pads for track days. Brembo is def. better, but I think that not that much better than it was on e9xm3.
Stop tech and AP racing are cheaper and good too.
I hope that some one will release just new callipers (6/4) for the stock rotors.
They are definitely enough. I did about 45 laps in divided over 4 stints and I could feel some fade at the end of each stint. I'm quite sure that with better pads, there would be no reason to change the entire system.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2014, 02:18 AM   #47
jackkk
Lieutenant
Russian Federation
Rep
Drives: M3 F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by acey81 View Post
They are definitely enough. I did about 45 laps in divided over 4 stints and I could feel some fade at the end of each stint. I'm quite sure that with better pads, there would be no reason to change the entire system.
Good to hear.
On my 1m with ds2500 pads and rs-3 tires I could only make 1 fast lap, then I need to cool breaks down.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2014, 09:53 AM   #48
RingMeister01
Croatian
No_Country
Rep
Drives: PORSCHE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilia@IND
Agreed! I do believe that the original brakes on these cars are worlds ahead of the E9x parts, but with that said there is still quite a bit of room for improvement. The disc material, overall weight of the bell, and especially pad surface area will all be contributing factors.
Ilia, PM me the price of CCM-R and do 19's clear this setup??

-Tim
Looking for an SUV
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2014, 03:46 PM   #49
darmawaa
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Price ??
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2014, 04:12 PM   #50
FTS
Enjoying driving
United_States
Rep
Drives: 645

These look very nice as usual for Brembo. If people can pay $10K+ for wheels, these brakes should be cheap comparatively for them.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2014, 09:49 AM   #51
Maxis
Second Lieutenant
Denmark
Rep
Drives: F83

Quote:
why the hell would you buy these if the OEM ceramic brakes are already made by brembo for BMW. whats the fucking point ? lol

Could it be that some people don't like 19 inch wheels,,, especially when you track the car...

Carbon ceramic brakes do have its flaws, but those flaws only show itself during everyday driving. First flaw is cost. No need to explain any further.
The second flaw is the “squishy” or lack of feel the brakes have when they are cold. Ceramics don’t actually begin to feel “normal” until they heat up from extended track use.
Which means those brakes will never feel “normal” for the 90% of drivers who never go tracking.

The squishy feeling is actually the most common complaint and is a big deal for those who love the confidence of an early brake feel. Another flaw, which is me just nitpicking, is the squeaking noise ceramics make during low speed braking. Not as loud as truck and bus brakes sound, but just as annoying

Last edited by Maxis; 10-19-2014 at 01:51 PM..
Appreciate 1
      10-16-2014, 03:30 PM   #52
LDSM
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...

Will the CCM kit fit with 18" wheels?
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2014, 01:34 PM   #53
M3ichael
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW ///M3 DCT

Pricing information?
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2014, 02:53 PM   #54
IND-Distribution
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: G82 M4 / G87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3ichael View Post
Pricing information?
PM sent!
      02-07-2015, 04:10 AM   #55
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Sorry for reviving old thread but just come across this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSanto View Post
These will be strictly bling for sure. Especially with the CCBs from BMW only being like 1k more than a steel brembo setup.

If you plan on doing a BBK, why not do one right from the factory?
They are not the same ceramics, the factory one is not for track use. CCM-R is the newer generation that doesn't have the problem of the old PCCB. It was extensively tested in 2012 with Ferrari Challenge Cars and it is rated at 5000 TRACK Miles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tareemaa View Post
How much for the ceramic? are there performance numbers compared to the stock ccb kit?
I don't think there will be comparisons as the factory kit is not for track use. However, the comparison with the old CCM (PCCB) it is 2.5 times as strong, and 4 times its thermal capacity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reborn View Post
Any chance the CCB kit will fit on a e9X M3?
Factory - unlikely, but CCM-R is available to the E9x already. I have them on my 1M.

Quote:
The factory kit is bling. This CCM-R is not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave07997S View Post
A few of us who came out of the PCar community that had PCCBs switched them out to the iron Red brakes as the replacement rotors were outrageously priced. The OEM iron brakes in the F8X are an excellent brake and like I said earlier, with just pads and fluid change you are pretty much track ready even with R compounds..

In regards to caliper color, that can easily be changed. A hell of a lot less than a BBK on a car that doesn't need it.

Dave
The PCCB are brittle and subject to stone chips. These are made different which doesn't subject to the same problem. Of course the factory steel brakes are quite capable for the occasional track days even with no pad or fluid change .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mere View Post
Could it be that some people don't like 19 inch wheels,,, especially when you track the car...

Carbon ceramic brakes do have its flaws, but those flaws only show itself during everyday driving. First flaw is cost. No need to explain any further.
The second flaw is the “squishy” or lack of feel the brakes have when they are cold. Ceramics don’t actually begin to feel “normal” until they heat up from extended track use.
Which means those brakes will never feel “normal” for the 90% of drivers who never go tracking.

The squishy feeling is actually the most common complaint and is a big deal for those who love the confidence of an early brake feel. Another flaw, which is me just nitpicking, is the squeaking noise ceramics make during low speed braking. Not as loud as truck and bus brakes sound, but just as annoying
The above statement does not apply to the CCM-R apart from the cost.

The CCM-R friction levels is 10% better than iron when cold. On my 1M, the feel is much better than stock which I can provide much better modulation of brake pressure. I can press harder faster without locking up the brakes. With the exception of the first brake application on a very wet day right after the car just started.

There is only occasionally squeaking in the CCM-R when there are either dirt on even service probably from slow driving for long periods of time which is resolved from 1-2 two times of hard braking and it will go dead quiet.

The best thing about the brakes for daily driver - no brake dust.

How do they perform on track? I can do over 30 laps without a break on my regular track without any hint of fade. They perform much better when they are hot of course usually after a few flying laps. The key feature is how consistent the brakes feel lap after lap after lap. The other reason to get the CCM-R is the massively reduced unsprung weight - which gives better ride, better turn in, and the car is a lot less unsettled. As a comparison, my 1M actually have a better ride than my 135i when it had normal tyres on.

Cost? With the GTR callipers, I paid 25000 Euros about 2 years ago + install. So they are expensive but hopefully their price is coming down.

Honestly, unless you track your car though, just get the factory ceramic option and call it a day - looks like in the US it cost $1000 - or you can say it is the no brake dust option.
Appreciate 2
      02-03-2016, 06:54 AM   #56
LDSM
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparoz View Post

They are not the same ceramics, the factory one is not for track use. CCM-R is the newer generation that doesn't have the problem of the old PCCB. It was extensively tested in 2012 with Ferrari Challenge Cars and it is rated at 5000 TRACK Miles.
Honestly, unless you track your car though, just get the factory ceramic option and call it a day - looks like in the US it cost $1000 - or you can say it is the no brake dust option.
Great info, I wasn't aware of CCM-R advances. Sounds like they solved many of the drawbacks of the OE PCCB.
With the improved life on the track, when do you estimate needing to change the rotors and pads with a CCM-R setup?

Also, the factory ceramic option for the F8x is around $8,000, I wish it were only $1,000

Last edited by LDSM; 02-03-2016 at 07:03 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2016, 08:32 AM   #57
Brosef
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Don't have anything to contribute to this thread other than to say I am so happy I went with the Brembos over CCB's. The drawbacks of the CCB's added up to keep me away, despite the fact that I really wanted to get them.

I'm not ashamed to admit it's a bling thing for me - particularly when I see the money some around here waste on cosmetic mods that have no performance value, but are just pieces of plastic being tacked on. I'm guilty of the same crime as well, to some extent, so I'm not throwing stones. But this is a cosmetic mod for me that upgrades the performance of the most important safety feature on the car at the same time.

An added bonus is that the pedal feel is amazing.
Appreciate 2
      02-26-2016, 11:33 AM   #58
sparoz
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: VO 1///M; Macan Turbo

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDSM View Post
Great info, I wasn't aware of CCM-R advances. Sounds like they solved many of the drawbacks of the OE PCCB.
With the improved life on the track, when do you estimate needing to change the rotors and pads with a CCM-R setup?

Also, the factory ceramic option for the F8x is around $8,000, I wish it were only $1,000
5000 track KM for a rotor change - so that's essentially life time. I have a set of spare pads, but I have done 30000km and there are plenty of pads left. I had a lay off on track last year so might change as I do more track days again this year.
Appreciate 1
      06-07-2016, 04:31 AM   #59
koastal
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: F87

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparoz View Post

I don't think there will be comparisons as the factory kit is not for track use. However, the comparison with the old CCM (PCCB) it is 2.5 times as strong, and 4 times its thermal capacity.

Factory - unlikely, but CCM-R is available to the E9x already. I have them on my 1M.

The factory kit is bling. This CCM-R is not.

The PCCB are brittle and subject to stone chips. These are made different which doesn't subject to the same problem. Of course the factory steel brakes are quite capable for the occasional track days even with no pad or fluid change .

The above statement does not apply to the CCM-R apart from the cost.

The CCM-R friction levels is 10% better than iron when cold. On my 1M, the feel is much better than stock which I can provide much better modulation of brake pressure. I can press harder faster without locking up the brakes. With the exception of the first brake application on a very wet day right after the car just started.

There is only occasionally squeaking in the CCM-R when there are either dirt on even service probably from slow driving for long periods of time which is resolved from 1-2 two times of hard braking and it will go dead quiet.

The best thing about the brakes for daily driver - no brake dust.

How do they perform on track? I can do over 30 laps without a break on my regular track without any hint of fade. They perform much better when they are hot of course usually after a few flying laps. The key feature is how consistent the brakes feel lap after lap after lap. The other reason to get the CCM-R is the massively reduced unsprung weight - which gives better ride, better turn in, and the car is a lot less unsettled. As a comparison, my 1M actually have a better ride than my 135i when it had normal tyres on.

Cost? With the GTR callipers, I paid 25000 Euros about 2 years ago + install. So they are expensive but hopefully their price is coming down.

Yes but you were crazy spending that much loot on brakes.
Appreciate 0