Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

08-26-2015, 02:42 AM   #353
peter_s
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep
Drives: M2, Datsun 280Z, MGB GTS V8

My tin can noise went away after I did the exhaust valve mod.

Before I heard it when letting off the gas or braking, sometimes accelerating. I haven't heard it since I installed the valve flap module.
7:51,4 BTG BMW M4, 8:35 BTG Mini Clubman S, 8:56,6 BTG Swift Stage 2
208 laps on the Nordschleife
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2015, 07:12 AM   #354
Bluex
Useful Idiot
United_States
Rep
Drives: My wife and kids insane.

Garage List
2015 BMW F80 M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter_s View Post
My tin can noise went away after I did the exhaust valve mod.

Before I heard it when letting off the gas or braking, sometimes accelerating. I haven't heard it since I installed the valve flap module.
This is something else entirely. You're talking about the exhaust rattle sound on cold start when the flaps are closed. You are right, the valve mod does fix that

However, this thread is about brake shields that do not have enough clearance to the rotor and thus pebbles getting caught between the two. When this happens you usually hear a LOUD "screetching" sound followed by the sound of debris in a "tin can" while driving. A quick and dirty fix is to simply push the shields back from the rotor a bit allowing the debris to find it's way out.

If you haven't experienced this yet, count yourself lucky....makes you feel like you're driving a hoopty at times. And trust me, you'd know it!

However, BMW has released new rear brake shields that supposedly correct the issue.

My European Delivery Thread
Appreciate 1
      08-26-2015, 07:54 AM   #355
peter_s
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep
Drives: M2, Datsun 280Z, MGB GTS V8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluex View Post
This is something else entirely. You're talking about the exhaust rattle sound on cold start when the flaps are closed. You are right, the valve mod does fix that

However, this thread is about brake shields that do not have enough clearance to the rotor and thus pebbles getting caught between the two. When this happens you usually hear a LOUD "screetching" sound followed by the sound of debris in a "tin can" while driving. A quick and dirty fix is to simply push the shields back from the rotor a bit allowing the debris to find it's way out.

If you haven't experienced this yet, count yourself lucky....makes you feel like you're driving a hoopty at times. And trust me, you'd know it!

However, BMW has released new rear brake shields that supposedly correct the issue.
I had problems for a long time locating my problem, so I thought it was the brake shield you fellas described here. Then it went away after my mod. I'll wait for the screetch then with pleasure
7:51,4 BTG BMW M4, 8:35 BTG Mini Clubman S, 8:56,6 BTG Swift Stage 2
208 laps on the Nordschleife
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2015, 01:40 PM   #356
Stryatch
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '15 F80 MW/SO

Quote:
Originally Posted by darge82 View Post
The wheel bearings will get replaced as well. The SIB references the repair instructions. When you look up the repair instructions the wheel hub must be removed. When the hub is removed it destroys the bearing because it takes the inner race with it when you pull it out of the bearing. There is no way around it. All cars getting shields will also be getting wheel bearings.
Darge82,
this is from my tech:

I have looked over the information you have sent and no, the bearings do not need to be replaced. I have looked over the repair instructions and the tech has followed them correctly. If either the bearing or flange needed to be replaced, then yes, the bearing would be damaged due to the race separating from the bearing. In this repair, the axle was taken out of the flange and the bearing/flange assembly was left together. I have attached a picture showing the complete unit. The four bolts that hold the bearing to the knuckle were replaced according to repair instructions as well as the axle nuts.

I don't want my wheels falling off, lol ...are we all good?

thanks,
stryatch
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2015, 02:15 PM   #357
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stryatch View Post
Darge82,
this is from my tech:

I have looked over the information you have sent and no, the bearings do not need to be replaced. I have looked over the repair instructions and the tech has followed them correctly. If either the bearing or flange needed to be replaced, then yes, the bearing would be damaged due to the race separating from the bearing. In this repair, the axle was taken out of the flange and the bearing/flange assembly was left together. I have attached a picture showing the complete unit. The four bolts that hold the bearing to the knuckle were replaced according to repair instructions as well as the axle nuts.

I don't want my wheels falling off, lol ...are we all good?

thanks,
stryatch
Pic?

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2015, 04:02 PM   #358
Stryatch
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '15 F80 MW/SO

Thanks for the post darge82!
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2015, 10:26 PM   #359
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
SIB 34 06 15 completed

Got mine done today (in addition to replacing my squealing Dinan exhaust). Bearings replaced. Both jobs completed in one day.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Service Invoice 2015-08-27.pdf (1.80 MB, 903 views)

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 3
      09-14-2015, 03:38 PM   #360
WVUDrJay
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Anyone going to get their heat shields replaced, make sure they order the two bolts or bearings or whatever they are that are not reusable once the shields are replaced. They did not do this and it cost me an extra day without my car.
      09-14-2015, 03:56 PM   #361
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep
Drives: '24 GT4RS, '24 Macan GTS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUDrJay
Anyone going to get their heat shields replaced, make sure they order the two bolts or bearings or whatever they are that are not reusable once the shields are replaced. They did not do this and it cost me an extra day without my car.
This is true. I was without my gal for 3-4 days because they didn't have all of the parts but I had my loaner with me so it was fine.

I'm only hyper picky if they did a poor job which didn't seem so. Did have to break in heat shield again, like after you washed your car.
      09-14-2015, 06:17 PM   #362
WVUDrJay
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcades
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUDrJay
This is true. I was without my gal for 3-4 days because they didn't have all of the parts but I had my loaner with me so it was fine.

I'm only hyper picky if they did a poor job which didn't seem so. Did have to break in heat shield again, like after you washed your car.
Hopefully picking up tomorrow. It's been almost a week. I'm gonna break them in alright!!!!

By driving it like I stole it
      09-17-2015, 02:40 AM   #363
BuLoOoSki
Colonel
Kuwait
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3

darge82 I recently had the dealership change out my rear backing plates according to SI B34 06 15. The work order sheet does not mention anything about bearings being changed, it just mentions that backing plates were replaced according to the SIB. So should I assume that it also involved changing the bearings as part of the process or could they have not done that?

P.S. My car did stay at the dealership for two days because they didn't have the new backing plate in stock, not sure if anything else was ordered as well though.
2015 BMW F80 M3: Tractive EDC Suspension / Dinan Anti-Roll Bars / GC Camber Plates / KMP Dual Diff Mount / Girodisc Rotors / GT4 Brake Cooling Kit / PTF Flash Tune / Eisenmann Downpipes / CSF Heat Exchanger / BMS Charge Pipes
2007 BMW E92 335i (SOLD): BMS JB4 / Quaife LSD / Riss Racing DPs / Helix Intercooler / BMS Intake / STETT Charge Pipe / Forge DVs

Last edited by BuLoOoSki; 09-17-2015 at 10:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2015, 04:31 AM   #364
specracer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 CS HS 6MT M8 Comp

+1 mine rears were done last week. Waited 3-4 weeks for the parts to arrive, but was completed in a few hours the same day.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2015, 02:45 PM   #365
curehead
Second Lieutenant
Luxembourg
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Both my rear shields were replaced over one month ago but the scraping noise re-appeared and I didn't manage to get rid of it by pushing the shields back by hand so i had to continue drive the car until the stone finally came out or was worn down... Anyway, just to say the new shields are no guarantee that it does not re-appear
      09-18-2015, 10:13 AM   #366
BuLoOoSki
Colonel
Kuwait
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3

Quote:
Does your work order show the parts that were used? PM me the last 7 digits of your VIN I can check.
On the work order it's just showing part number: 34-21-2-284-745

Sent you a PM with my VIN, thanks for taking the time to check.
2015 BMW F80 M3: Tractive EDC Suspension / Dinan Anti-Roll Bars / GC Camber Plates / KMP Dual Diff Mount / Girodisc Rotors / GT4 Brake Cooling Kit / PTF Flash Tune / Eisenmann Downpipes / CSF Heat Exchanger / BMS Charge Pipes
2007 BMW E92 335i (SOLD): BMS JB4 / Quaife LSD / Riss Racing DPs / Helix Intercooler / BMS Intake / STETT Charge Pipe / Forge DVs
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2015, 03:48 AM   #367
DocWeatherington
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 CP

Garage List
23 Bmw M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by curehead View Post
Both my rear shields were replaced over one month ago but the scraping noise re-appeared and I didn't manage to get rid of it by pushing the shields back by hand so i had to continue drive the car until the stone finally came out or was worn down... Anyway, just to say the new shields are no guarantee that it does not re-appear
Plus 1... The new shields aren't a guarantee. I got this "fixed" last Thursday..

However I have noticed it's not as loud and will self correct.

I have now taken it as being a personality of the car. Dan.. your not driving with enough aggression...
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2015, 11:21 AM   #368
F82speed
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M4 6MT

I got the mother screech of all screeches Friday night, holy crap sounds like brakes/bearings but I know it's a rock in the shield. Bent the shields, pulled the wheel and bent the shields some more, reassembled and hauled ass in reverse then sprayed with high pressure water and did some more hauling ass backwards, all to no avail. All of that did nothing but slightly change the tone of the sound at times.

Good to see there's a service bulletin so I'll take it in tomorrow morn. Thanks for the info, guess I should consider myself lucky since this is the first it's happened other than a few times for only 5-10 seconds in 7k miles.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2015, 09:17 AM   #369
Bluex
Useful Idiot
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW F80 M3  [10.00]
My service for this replacement is being completed right now, and I specifically asked about whether or not the bearings need to be replaced. My SA spoke with the tech doing the work and his response was:

"Replacement of the bearings is only when you have press in bearings,yours are bolted on and therefore this repair is not needed."

Will post the full service invoice when I pick it up later today.

Appreciate 0
      10-13-2015, 06:50 AM   #370
Bluex
Useful Idiot
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW F80 M3  [10.00]
New brake shields installed. Attached is the service invoice with part number.

Btw, agreed, it will still occur....and probably need breaking in.

With my old "custom bent" shields, I hadn't heard the shrieking in 2 months, but with these new "improved" shields, I heard the sound while driving the car home from the dealer. Mind you, it wasn't a long a pronounced sound, just a little "yelp". I'll keep an eye (or an ear) on it.....

Appreciate 0
      10-13-2015, 02:13 PM   #371
sos
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 CP

Couldn't get a stone out of mine.....took it in to the dealer yesterday, new shields and hubs being fitted. Also a full KDS alignment being done to check geometry.

Lots of work for a tiny little stone!!
      10-16-2015, 11:59 AM   #372
F82speed
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M4 6MT

Quote:
Does your work order show the parts that were used? PM me the last 7 digits of your VIN I can check.
I called to schedule on Monday morning and asked the SA to verify that they had all required parts per the TSB, including the bearings and one time use bolts. They did not, but had them delivered the next day (Tues.) and scheduled me for Wed. morning. That rock actually came out Tuesday night coincidentally, but figured I'd take it in anyway since they had the parts and had me scheduled. So I dropped off first thing Wed. morn and of course they then called Wed. afternoon to say they needed to keep it overnight, but NOT because of parts, they supposedly had them all, but because it was taking much longer than they had originally anticipated, without being able to tell me why except that the tech was "struggling with the one side." It wasn't until 1pm yesterday afternoon that the SA called to say it was done, at which point upon my questioning, he said they didn't replace the bearings because they didn't pull the hub, but instead the foreman had "figured out a way" to replace the plates without pulling the hub thereby necessitating the bearing replacement. I said I assume then that he pulled the axle to which he replied "no, I know he didn't drop the axle." I said well there's no other way you'd be able to remove and replace the plates and which point he got wishy washy and tacitly agreed. He committed to getting me more detail on the job and I'm waiting on his call now, but here's the invoice referencing the same repair instruction that calls out the hub removal. Parts listed are the Plates and bolts and nuts, but no bearings. I assume they must have pulled the axle... thoughts?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-16-2015, 01:59 PM   #373
secretariat
Major
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5M

I got the bulletin done on my car also. From what I understand there are two ways to get this done, 1-to replace the bearings when they remove the plate the other way 2- is the long way around where it's more work for the mechanic but the bearings do not have to be replaced. Now with this in mind I would certainly question them because they seem to be hazy with the answers they are giving you. Also keep in mind that the pebbles still get stuck in there, but for a shorter period of time. All the pebbles that have been stuck in there since I got the service done have come out immediately after making a little noise. I do not have to put my car in reverse any more and floor it to remove pebbles.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2015, 10:44 AM   #374
zillymc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3 | Tanzanite

My SA told them that on the 2016s they've changed the brake shielding so there's more room for things to fall through/not get stuck. Not sure if there's any validity to this but at my 1200 mile service I explained I had a clicking noise on wheel rotation and that a twig/rock might be stuck in brake shielding, that's when he told me about the 2016s that BMW changed them to have a bit more space.

That being said, they did find the source of the clicking, they found a rock (about size of a dime), embedded into my tire! It was shaved down almost flat on one half so that's what it was.