Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications

01-27-2017, 05:41 AM   #1
e92_mmm3
Rep
Drives: m6

Want to change car color

hi

i want change my car color to black im looking for wrap what are is the best 3m or Avery and from where i can buy it and how much will be

or should i go with paint
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2017, 05:58 AM   #2
dom_cmh
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3

Please please please don't paint it. It will never be as good as factory.

I guess wrap it. I'm not a fan at all of wraps. It's probably because I'm from the midwest and not SoCal. Just seems cheesy. But if you don't mind it then go for it!

Summer Fun - 2016 F80 M3 | Tanzanite | Black FULL Leather | 6MT | Executive | Lighting | Driver Assist | Adaptive Suspension | 19" Black Wheels | Black Grills & Sides | Roof
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2017, 08:13 AM   #3
NewM3driver
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP

Sell it and get a new one that is the color you want.
Appreciate 2
BoxKing293.00
mstevens119.00
      01-27-2017, 08:15 AM   #4
Sassicaia
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: SMB F80 6MT

What colour do you have?
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2017, 09:23 AM   #5
TurboM
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F82 M4 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewM3driver View Post
Sell it and get a new one that is the color you want.
Appreciate 0
      01-27-2017, 11:23 AM   #6
e92_mmm3
Rep
Drives: m6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dom_cmh View Post

I guess wrap it. I'm not a fan at all of wraps. It's probably because I'm from the midwest and not SoCal. Just seems cheesy. But if you don't mind it then go for it!

thanks bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassicaia View Post
What colour do you have?

i have white and im looking for black
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2017, 02:23 PM   #7
eRiggs5
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 18 M3 CS

DO NOT REPAINT YOUR CAR! That will absolutely kill the value of your car! I would wrap it. I have seen wraps from both Avery and 3M and they are both good vinyl. Depending on the type of vinyl will depend on cost. Your standard vinyls are cheaper as your 3m self healing wraps are more expensive.

2020 Grand Cherokee Summit: Wife's
2016 BMW M3: Gone
2008 Lexus IS: Gone
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2017, 05:50 PM   #8
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep
Drives: ▋ ▉▉

Quote:

Not true at all. A good paint job will absolutely look better than factory. Although that's not saying much. BMW's factory paint is completely orange peel'd and so thin. I would level and polish it if the clear coat wasn't so thin. It's pretty much accepted that BMW's recent paint quality is not as good as it used to be.

Look at what IND did with their car. Quality is much better than OEM.

Since you brought up SoCal... one of the many great things about SoCal (other than wraps ) is that we have some of the best automotive painters in the world. It is the birthplace of lowriders. We vatos in SoCal know how to paint.

That being said, if I was the OP, I'd get the car wrapped instead of repainting.

It is true what eRiggs5 said. A repaint could kill the perceived value of your car; that's something a lot of M3/M4 owners tend to care about.

Last edited by x.shell; 02-08-2017 at 05:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2017, 10:21 AM   #9
BMWFanatic2008
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 6MT

If you are going to wrap it, might as well chose some unique color (eg matte black).
      02-09-2017, 10:57 AM   #10
BigDog
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: YMB F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWFanatic2008 View Post
If you are going to wrap it, might as well chose some unique color (eg matte black).
does anyone else see the irony here?
      02-10-2017, 07:29 AM   #11
dom_cmh
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by exo-shell View Post
Not true at all. A good paint job will absolutely look better than factory. Although that's not saying much. BMW's factory paint is completely orange peel'd and so thin. I would level and polish it if the clear coat wasn't so thin. It's pretty much accepted that BMW's recent paint quality is not as good as it used to be.

Look at what IND did with their car. Quality is much better than OEM.

Since you brought up SoCal... one of the many great things about SoCal (other than wraps ) is that we have some of the best automotive painters in the world. It is the birthplace of lowriders. We vatos in SoCal know how to paint.

That being said, if I was the OP, I'd get the car wrapped instead of repainting.

It is true what eRiggs5 said. A repaint could kill the perceived value of your car; that's something a lot of M3/M4 owners tend to care about.
Understood. You are in a unique market for sure. While I totally agree that the BMW paint isn't as good as could be, for most people it simply doesn't make sense to do a full repaint on a new car unless you have cash to burn or get into an accident and don't want a blend job on a difficult color to match. Again, your market is very unique and people are doing crazy and cool things all the time that break the "norms" for us folks in the flyover states!

I still can't for the life of me understand wraps unless it's a 15k car. I'm nearing 40 though so I guess the kid in me is finally starting to grow up!

Summer Fun - 2016 F80 M3 | Tanzanite | Black FULL Leather | 6MT | Executive | Lighting | Driver Assist | Adaptive Suspension | 19" Black Wheels | Black Grills & Sides | Roof
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2017, 11:40 AM   #12
afadeev
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by eRiggs5 View Post
DO NOT REPAINT YOUR CAR! That will absolutely kill the value of your car! I would wrap it.

Quote:
Not true at all. A good paint job will absolutely look better than factory.

Quote:
While I totally agree that the BMW paint isn't as good as could be, for most people it simply doesn't make sense to do a full repaint on a new car unless you have cash to burn or get into an accident and don't want a blend job on a difficult color to match.
A few years ago I did a NJ VPC tour, and BMW's chief paint guy was explaining the in's and out's of paint repairs and paint matching complexities.
He also showed his personal car - an E36 M3 that he had just finished repainting to matte silver.
Just for fun. Because he could.

Bottom line - it would have cost $10-15K to have had this work done at a competent independent shop (VPC doesn't do any customer work, other than shipping damage repair for BMW). The higher end estimate included pulling the engine and carpeting to properly respray engine bay, trunk, and other visible interior parts, without masking tape and over-spray.

The used-car market value of that investment is either $0.00, or negative.

In contrast, the $1.5-$5K individual paint cost is an absolute bargain.

a
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2017, 11:53 AM   #13
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by afadeev View Post
A few years ago I did a NJ VPC tour, and BMW's chief paint guy was explaining the in's and out's of paint repairs and paint matching complexities.
He also showed his personal car - an E36 M3 that he had just finished repainting to matte silver.
Just for fun. Because he could.

Bottom line - it would have cost $10-15K to have had this work done at a competent independent shop (VPC doesn't do any customer work, other than shipping damage repair for BMW). The higher end estimate included pulling the engine and carpeting to properly respray engine bay, trunk, and other visible interior parts, without masking tape and over-spray.

The used-car market value of that investment is either $0.00, or negative.

In contrast, the $1.5-$5K individual paint cost is an absolute bargain.

a
Paint matching is a completely different story than a complete respray.

I agree with your "bottom line" that pulling an engine and respraying every nook and cranny can come out to $10-$15k. But who in their right mind would pull apart the whole car for a respray (other than Yost Racing. Love you guys)? It's good enough to take off the easy bits and keep the engine in tact. Simply mask off the engine, and you'll be able to spray almost every nook in the engine bay. Which is way more than what BMW does from the factory. They don't even clear coat anything that's not on the exterior of the car. Just pop your hood and trunk and take a look. In fact, look behind the door hinge after you open it; it's just white primer. BMW doesn't even bother to spray color in there.

The real bottom line is that for $10k you could have one of the best damn paint jobs on the planet; with so much clear coat on it, it'll look like you're staring into an aquarium. For an entire respray of the car that is better than BMW's factory paint work.... well, that's much much much much much cheaper.

For reference, I used to run a body shop that would respray tuner cars and lowriders. I've personally prepped and repainted my own cars many times. It's not a subjective thing... BMW's current paint work bar is really low.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2017, 01:22 PM   #14
afadeev
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
But who in their right mind would pull apart the whole car for a respray (other than Yost Racing. Love you guys)?
I wouldn't, but I'm sure there are people out there that do, and do get a very unique car.
I know a guy at work who did it to his 'vette to get a "candy apple red" exterior. It looked great, but is was a very laborous, and a very expensive mod.

Quote:
It's good enough to take off the easy bits and keep the engine in tact. Simply mask off the engine, and you'll be able to spray almost every nook in the engine bay. Which is way more than what BMW does from the factory. They don't even clear coat anything that's not on the exterior of the car.
It's true that BMW doesn't clear coat the engine bay or the inside of the hood, but they do paint it. In two stages: primer and base coat. It's just the 3rd stage - clear coat, that is forgone.

There are at least three (3) primer colors depending on the exterior color: white, black, and beige(?) (not sure about the 3rd).

Saw it first hand during Munich factory tour.

Quote:
Just pop your hood and trunk and take a look. In fact, look behind the door hinge after you open it; it's just white primer. BMW doesn't even bother to spray color in there.
BMW does spray the interior with the appropriate color, just not the clear.
It's harder and less obvious to spot on black or white cars where the base matches the color layer, but both are there.

Quote:
BMW's current paint work bar is really low.
Agreed.

BMW was never famous for paint work quality (orange peel since 80s), but it took another step down once they went environmentally friendly with water-based paints and thinner coats. Now you get both orange peel and lower durability.

Though a fairly simple deficiency, it very expensive to remedy properly.

a

Last edited by afadeev; 02-14-2017 at 02:26 PM..
Appreciate 1
x.shell6576.50
      02-14-2017, 02:17 PM   #15
x.shell
▆ ✚✚   ▆▆▆▆▆▆
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by afadeev View Post

It's harder and less obvious to spot on black or white cars where the base matches the color layer, but both are there.

BMW doesn't spray color in the hard to reach places like door jambs and trunk etc; they only primer. In the more visible areas like under the hood, it's only primer and color. Here are some pics of F8X door jams and trunk interior etc.

Tanzanite Blue Door Jamb

Tanzanite Blue Inside Trunk

Yas Marina Blue Door Jamb

This is the reason why I chose not to clear bra the car; BMW paint is just not worth it. When my paint gets damaged enough, I'm going to respray the entire car with a proper paint job. After which, I'll get it clear bra'd. Again, this route won't appeal to most M owners but it works for me because I plan on keeping my F80 for a long time.

Last edited by x.shell; 02-14-2017 at 02:23 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2017, 09:36 AM   #16
hatepotholez
Major
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
BMW doesn't spray color in the hard to reach places like door jambs and trunk etc; they only primer. In the more visible areas like under the hood, it's only primer and color. Here are some pics of F8X door jams and trunk interior etc.

Tanzanite Blue Door Jamb

Tanzanite Blue Inside Trunk

Yas Marina Blue Door Jamb

This is the reason why I chose not to clear bra the car; BMW paint is just not worth it. When my paint gets damaged enough, I'm going to respray the entire car with a proper paint job. After which, I'll get it clear bra'd. Again, this route won't appeal to most M owners but it works for me because I plan on keeping my F80 for a long time.
disgusting.

Is this common for most manufacturers?
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2017, 08:35 PM   #17
RowanBuds
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 3 pedal 718, G05, MkVII GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by afadeev
Quote:
But who in their right mind would pull apart the whole car for a respray (other than Yost Racing. Love you guys)?
I wouldn't, but I'm sure there are people out there that do, and do get a very unique car.
I know a guy at work who did it to his 'vette to get a "candy apple red" exterior. It looked great, but is was a very laborous, and a very expensive mod.

Quote:
It's good enough to take off the easy bits and keep the engine in tact. Simply mask off the engine, and you'll be able to spray almost every nook in the engine bay. Which is way more than what BMW does from the factory. They don't even clear coat anything that's not on the exterior of the car.
It's true that BMW doesn't clear coat the engine bay or the inside of the hood, but they do paint it. In two stages: primer and base coat. It's just the 3rd stage - clear coat, that is forgone.

There are at least three (3) primer colors depending on the exterior color: white, black, and beige(?) (not sure about the 3rd).

Saw it first hand during Munich factory tour.

Quote:
Just pop your hood and trunk and take a look. In fact, look behind the door hinge after you open it; it's just white primer. BMW doesn't even bother to spray color in there.

Quote:
BMW's current paint work bar is really low.
Agreed.

BMW was never famous for paint work quality (orange peel since 80s), but it took another step down once they went environmentally friendly with water-based paints and thinner coats. Now you get both orange peel and lower durability.

Though a fairly simple deficiency, it very expensive to remedy properly.

a
My LMB car is uncleared black in the whole engine bay. I feel ripped off when seeing other cars with exterior matched (and some are clearcoated) engine bays. Infuriating, honestly, as it seems the standard is there is no standard.

Le Mans Blue F80 - Munich 5-22-2015 / US 7-7-2015 / SOLD 9-17-2022
ED Recap
Arctic Grey G05 - Spartanburg 8-29-2019
X5 PCD Recap
Appreciate 0