BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

Closed Thread

08-06-2014, 11:09 AM   #265
M5 BAT
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M5

I wonder if his negative comments were created on purpose, to make his review 'stand out'. Too much complaining about color and design and not enough commentary on the true driving experience...
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2014, 11:52 AM   #266
Fifth Echelon
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTS View Post
Hello there, very pleased to meet you here; I have no interest in sound quality, loudness or anything else in that area, as long as there is something (not liking e-cars without any sound). I am more interested in the sound of the tires, transmission, chassis and surroundings.
Indeed. Now, I do enjoy a good sounding engine, but I have this almost instant aversion to sounds created by modified exhausts and the like. Drivability (chassis, balance, response, etc) is significantly more important to me than sound will ever be. And I know I'm not the only one with those preferences.

By the way, for those folks attempting to parse Clarkson's individual words and sentences from this review... have you EVER watched Top Gear?!
Past: 2005 Mercedes SLK350 6MT | Silver/Blue
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2014, 12:04 PM   #267
modkrazy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcconn535 View Post
???????
My bad, I meant inline. Was doing too much trolling on Subaru forums.

BMW gave up on racing 6-cylinders back in 1999 when they shoved a V8 into an E46 to spank Porsche in ALMS.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2014, 12:22 PM   #268
SakhirM4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 SO M4/'20 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW Z4 M40i  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [8.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by modkrazy View Post
My bad, I meant inline. Was doing too much trolling on Subaru forums.

BMW gave up on racing 6-cylinders back in 1999 when they shoved a V8 into an E46 to spank Porsche in ALMS.
Yep, spanked em so bad that Porsche got BMW thrown out because the V8 was not available as a street car.
Tejas Chapter, BMW CCA, mem #23915, President 27 years, www.tejaschapter.org
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2014, 12:39 PM   #269
modkrazy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmcconn535 View Post
Yep, spanked em so bad that Porsche got BMW thrown out because the V8 was not available as a street car.
Porsche didn't have them thrown out. BMW met the bare minimum regulations to the letter, and then Porsche lobbied the regulations to be changed, and rather than scramble to sell 1000 cars or race with inferior engines, BMW took their ball and went home. Same thing happened with F1 when BMW was set to sweep the series, regulations changed, recession hit, BMW took their ball and went home to focus on efficient dynamics.
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2014, 01:17 PM   #270
SakhirM4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 SO M4/'20 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW Z4 M40i  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [8.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by modkrazy View Post
Porsche didn't have them thrown out. BMW met the bare minimum regulations to the letter, and then Porsche lobbied the regulations to be changed, and rather than scramble to sell 1000 cars or race with inferior engines, BMW took their ball and went home. Same thing happened with F1 when BMW was set to sweep the series, regulations changed, recession hit, BMW took their ball and went home to focus on efficient dynamics.
Porsche lobbying to change the regs and "having them thrown out" is the same thing to me - same result. BMW had to leave because of Porsche.
Tejas Chapter, BMW CCA, mem #23915, President 27 years, www.tejaschapter.org
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 03:29 PM   #271
Kayani_1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E92/E60

Well I would not say no emotion. Even the stock 335i does not sound bad. Its jut not as glorious as the S85, or S65 sound.

Most folks will not go exhaust route on 335i if power is your only goal. As there is not much power to gain you get louder car and more power from a downpipe itself.

I am of belief that its not always about power. A proper exhaust will take off about 45-55 lbs of a cars mass, add some extra power and let the engine be heard. The draw back mothers, wives and girlfriends or boss in your car will not be happy. Also, in 335i the crappy plastic lid in between the rear seat might resonate all on its own. That is why they did not even put that in E92 M3 cause it would vibrate like a violin thanks to the V8 at full song.

I am pretty sure the M3/M4 sounds good but in comparison to S85 or S65 the S55 leaves a bit on the table.

Either way I am not against turbo cars I love the BMW N54 twin turbo in my car but I am not going to say it sounds better than S85 or S65 nor pretend it revs as freely or fast. You can easily get well over 400 hp and 400 lb-ft torque from it though with limits near 600hp plus.

I have tasted BMW flavor of turbo and it is quiet nice I am ready to keep it as my daily and move to the glorious sound of a pure blooded naturally aspirated V8 in stingray.

cheers to all who buy M3 and M4 enjoy it in great health

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3guy3 View Post
just for the record he had a tune. The car had no emotion to it at all.
nickname"BAD 3",MHD E85 tune,RennArt catback non-resonated exhaust,VRSF Downpipes, VRSF 7"FMIC,VRSF stock side inlets,SSQV BOV,ECS CP,M-performance alcantara steering,retrofit M3 paddle shifters,Alpina B3 tranny flash,AFE power seal CAI,LED angels,ST Coilovers,M3 upper/lower control arms,E93 M3 Front Swaybar ,235/35/19x9 ,275/30/19x9.5. M sport bumpers, CF diffuser. When in doubt..flat out.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 06:55 PM   #272
M3guy3
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayani_1 View Post
Well I would not say no emotion. Even the stock 335i does not sound bad. Its jut not as glorious as the S85, or S65 sound.

Most folks will not go exhaust route on 335i if power is your only goal. As there is not much power to gain you get louder car and more power from a downpipe itself.

I am of belief that its not always about power. A proper exhaust will take off about 45-55 lbs of a cars mass, add some extra power and let the engine be heard. The draw back mothers, wives and girlfriends or boss in your car will not be happy. Also, in 335i the crappy plastic lid in between the rear seat might resonate all on its own. That is why they did not even put that in E92 M3 cause it would vibrate like a violin thanks to the V8 at full song.

I am pretty sure the M3/M4 sounds good but in comparison to S85 or S65 the S55 leaves a bit on the table.

Either way I am not against turbo cars I love the BMW N54 twin turbo in my car but I am not going to say it sounds better than S85 or S65 nor pretend it revs as freely or fast. You can easily get well over 400 hp and 400 lb-ft torque from it though with limits near 600hp plus.

I have tasted BMW flavor of turbo and it is quiet nice I am ready to keep it as my daily and move to the glorious sound of a pure blooded naturally aspirated V8 in stingray.

cheers to all who buy M3 and M4 enjoy it in great health
the stingray does look like one of the most logical cars to buy these days. great to look at, power and great sounding N/A V8. more appealing to me over a M3. the E92 M3 was more appealing to me over a C6 vette. now its the other way around.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread