Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

06-19-2018, 07:10 PM   #1
Automotive Goals
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2000 M5, 2018 M550i, 2022 M4

Remus Axle Back with AA Midpipe. Installation help

I am searching around for an exhaust set up now and so far it looks like the best set up I see is a Remus axle back with a AA Midpipe. From the videos and reviews I have read, it looks like it gets rid of the rasp (which is a plus for me) and make the exhaust deeper (which is exactly what I am looking for). The question I have is, what is needed to install this set up? I tried to search some DIY on this set up and even though it looks like a lot of people run this set up, no one really has a DIY. Is any cutting necessary and if so, what needs to be done? Or does the Remus Axle Back and AA midpipe just attach together, without any cutting necessary? I would prefer to install the exhaust myself, instead of giving it to the shop, but would like to see what is necessary for that to happen. Obviously if welding is needed, I might just give the full exhaust to a shop and then take the entire exhaust and put it on myself.

Appreciate any information someone can provide.
      06-19-2018, 11:49 PM   #2
Justin.AutoTalent
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecoce1 View Post
I am searching around for an exhaust set up now and so far it looks like the best set up I see is a Remus axle back with a AA Midpipe. From the videos and reviews I have read, it looks like it gets rid of the rasp (which is a plus for me) and make the exhaust deeper (which is exactly what I am looking for). The question I have is, what is needed to install this set up? I tried to search some DIY on this set up and even though it looks like a lot of people run this set up, no one really has a DIY. Is any cutting necessary and if so, what needs to be done? Or does the Remus Axle Back and AA midpipe just attach together, without any cutting necessary? I would prefer to install the exhaust myself, instead of giving it to the shop, but would like to see what is necessary for that to happen. Obviously if welding is needed, I might just give the full exhaust to a shop and then take the entire exhaust and put it on myself.

This exhaust is pretty easy to install, I did my active mid pipe installation on my own car and paired it to MPE.

The Remus axle back bolts on directly to the Active Mid Pipe using the reducers that are included with the Remus system

Here's a pic of the Remus & AA combo installed:

Appreciate 2
TurboAL471030.00
E92M3GT101.00
      06-20-2018, 08:47 AM   #3
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 FO M3, M3 & MY Tezzy's

Bonus
Hit up @rr006rbc
http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1348709

He’ll install his system and swap out for your stock paperweight
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2018, 09:01 AM   #4
ReddsektoR
Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 DCT AY

Quote:

OP, just fyi, I had the remus + AA mid combo originally. It definitely gets rid of the rasp. And it makes it super bassy (the full Remus catback itself is already very deep). But I will point out that with the AA mid, the overall volume and high pitch frequency of the Remus exhaust (at wot) gets toned down. The AA mid is a bit of a large resonator. I didn't like that as much in the end, so I switched to the remus midpipe (so full Remus catback basically), and it definitely has some rasp, but its very deep in the low end and screams at the signature remus high end pitch, which I like.

But if it meets your needs, go for it.

Last edited by ReddsektoR; 06-20-2018 at 09:17 AM..
Appreciate 2
TurboAL471030.00
E92M3GT101.00
      06-20-2018, 10:13 AM   #5
TurboAL47
Colonel
Philippines
Rep
Drives: M4 / X5

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin.AutoTalent View Post
This exhaust is pretty easy to install, I did my active mid pipe installation on my own car and paired it to MPE.

The Remus axle back bolts on directly to the Active Mid Pipe using the reducers that are included with the Remus system

same remus/AA combo here. bolts right up as Justin said. sounds nice and bassy to me. only had dps and AA mids at one point but the remus exhaust cleaned up the sound a lot. sourced the axleback from Justin.AutoTalent as well!

'22 G82 M4 - Individual Marina Bay Blue 6MT | MBB G82 Ongoing Build Thread
'21 AW G05 X5 xDrive40i MSport

'15 SS/SO F82 - M4 - SOLD| Industry City Shoot
'08 AW E92 - 335xi - SOLD[/b] | Mods and Photoshoot
Appreciate 1
      06-20-2018, 11:17 AM   #6
Automotive Goals
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BzsBimmer View Post
Bonus
Hit up @rr006rbc
http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1348709

He’ll install his system and swap out for your stock paperweight
Yea, I actually reached out to him, yesterday. We are in the middle of trying to work something out. Even though I am in New York and he is in California. I am doing a road trip next week on the M4 to California, so might be able to make something happen.
      06-20-2018, 11:26 AM   #7
Automotive Goals
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReddsektoR View Post
OP, just fyi, I had the remus + AA mid combo originally. It definitely gets rid of the rasp. And it makes it super bassy (the full Remus catback itself is already very deep). But I will point out that with the AA mid, the overall volume and high pitch frequency of the Remus exhaust (at wot) gets toned down. The AA mid is a bit of a large resonator. I didn't like that as much in the end, so I switched to the remus midpipe (so full Remus catback basically), and it definitely has some rasp, but its very deep in the low end and screams at the signature remus high end pitch, which I like.

But if it meets your needs, go for it.
Did you have ZCP before switching to Remus? Is there a big difference. Some people say that ZCP already sounds good and that I will not get a much better sound by switching the exhausts. Do not want to waste a bunch of money, if the sound is not going to improve by much.

I appreciate all the input. I am still searching around and trying to find the perfect exhaust. Going from a Shelby GT350, its really hard to make the 6 cylinder sound anywhere close to the V8, but I am sure I can find something that will make it sound better.

I was also considering the Akrapovic full exhaust. After watching some videos and reading reviews I started to think that the Remus actually will deliver the sound I am looking for, better then the Akra. I initially was thinking of doing the full Remus Catback exaust, but noticed people saying that with AA midpipe it gets rid of the Rasp a lot. Still open to either the full Remus or one with AA midpipe. Appreciate your input on this, helps me make up my mind.
      06-20-2018, 11:38 AM   #8
BzsBimmer
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 FO M3, M3 & MY Tezzy's

YouTube clips will be very subjective since they probably don’t capture the true sound well.

Best choice would be to hit up the regional section of the forum and see if anyone close by has exhausts you can hear in person. Also any Cars and Coffee or Euro meets in your area.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2018, 11:46 AM   #9
Moota
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 18 Ferrari Red M4- 12 M3(Sold)

I came from an E92 M3 with basically straight pipes on it and I was chasing that sound (although I knew I wouldnt ever get close to it). I did the AA Midpipe first and it definitely sounds better than stock, reduces rasp, increases volume and burbles but it just wasnt enough for me. I saw the videos Justin posted on Youtube and fell in love with the Remus/AA Combo and I'm super happy with it
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2018, 12:13 PM   #10
818M3
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Geo Metro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin.AutoTalent View Post

So what's the diameter differences when the AA mid pipe is paired with the Remus axle back?
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2018, 12:44 PM   #11
ReddsektoR
Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 DCT AY

Quote:
Did you have ZCP before switching to Remus? Is there a big difference. Some people say that ZCP already sounds good and that I will not get a much better sound by switching the exhausts. Do not want to waste a bunch of money, if the sound is not going to improve by much.

I appreciate all the input. I am still searching around and trying to find the perfect exhaust. Going from a Shelby GT350, its really hard to make the 6 cylinder sound anywhere close to the V8, but I am sure I can find something that will make it sound better.

I was also considering the Akrapovic full exhaust. After watching some videos and reading reviews I started to think that the Remus actually will deliver the sound I am looking for, better then the Akra. I initially was thinking of doing the full Remus Catback exaust, but noticed people saying that with AA midpipe it gets rid of the Rasp a lot. Still open to either the full Remus or one with AA midpipe. Appreciate your input on this, helps me make up my mind.

Mine is a base non-zcp stock exhaust. The good thing is if you don't like the AA mid, you can always sell it very easily for a great price since they're always in demand. But the Remus/AA mid combo will definitely be a dramatic difference compared to the stock zcp exhaust, just not as screaming wot loud on the higher pitch end compared to the full Remus catback. Now if you get a downpipe, then that's where the AA mid really shines, and you'll have the best sounding full exhaust out there.

The awesome thing with the Remus/AA mid is the extreme deepness, and bass. When starting the car on a cold start (I leave my valves always open), it sounded like a big V8 muscle or nascar rumbling.

Almost everyone here will tell you Akra is the best sounding exhaust for this car, but at a very hefty price tag. Remus is better bang for the buck.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2018, 12:53 PM   #12
Justin.AutoTalent
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboAL47 View Post
same remus/AA combo here. bolts right up as Justin said. sounds nice and bassy to me. only had dps and AA mids at one point but the remus exhaust cleaned up the sound a lot. sourced the axleback from Justin.AutoTalent as well!
Thanks brotha, glad you are enjoying the exhaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by 818M3 View Post
So what's the diameter differences when the AA mid pipe is paired with the Remus axle back?
The adapter is a 75mm - 70mm (OD), ID is 74mm/69mm respectively.

M3-M4 Cat MidPipe Hardware by Justin Shih, on Flickr
Appreciate 2
TurboAL471030.00
E92M3GT101.00
      06-20-2018, 01:12 PM   #13
818M3
Captain
United_States
Rep

So essentially it's the same diameter from the mid pipe all the way back. Is this correct?
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2018, 01:25 PM   #14
Justin.AutoTalent
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 818M3 View Post
So essentially it's the same diameter from the mid pipe all the way back. Is this correct?
No, not exactly. The Remus System is 2.75" piping, while the AA connecting pipes are the same diameter as stock (2.5).

Active goes from 3.5" single pipe up taper to 2.5"
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2018, 03:16 PM   #15
818M3
Captain
United_States
Rep

Oh ok. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2018, 06:33 PM   #16
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

AA mids + REMUS axle back is my favorite setup on this car, its going on the shop's M4 soon

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0