Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications

View Poll Results: Did you or will you tint your M3/M4?
Yes, I tinted my windows/Not yet, but I will soon. 601 77.25%
No, I will not tint my windows. 177 22.75%
Voters: 778. You may not vote on this poll

07-19-2020, 01:06 PM   #265
Carnut12
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Heritage Edition LSB

Quote:
Originally Posted by quikM2 View Post
50% is our legal limit on the driver and passenger front windows. It's so annoying as you can do 35% on the rear driver / passenger but then it doesn't' look even and 50% really isn't dark enough. i haven't seen one picture or someone reference 50% in the entire thread. everyone seems to get 35% or lower.

I also didn't see much reference to Xpel tints - anyone have them and are they worth the premium? I have one shop quoting me $320 for Llumar CTX or another shop quoting $485 for Xpel XR and I think $550 for the XR Plus. The Xpel shop uses a plotter and the CTX shop hand cuts and uses the window as the template.
What state are you in? My guy is putting on 50%, that equals 35% in the end due to the factory tint. That is the state of MA law. So if you’re getting 50% it will actually be 35%. I had that on my last car and I much preferred it over the really dark.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2020, 01:24 PM   #266
quikM2
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 Jahre M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnut12 View Post
What state are you in? My guy is putting on 50%, that equals 35% in the end due to the factory tint. That is the state of MA law. So if you’re getting 50% it will actually be 35%. I had that on my last car and I much preferred it over the really dark.
I'm in Canada. I don't think I have any factory tint. The windows are completely clear. I will end up having to put 50% on as I think any reputable shop won't put on something against the law. You have to go to see someone's "guy" if you want lower
Appreciate 1
Carnut12137.00
      07-19-2020, 02:55 PM   #267
espressoo
Major
Rep
Drives: '18 M3 Comp|'23 X5 45e|'24 X7

^^ After 2+ years of ownership I finally got tint. Madico Black Pearl 35% sides and rear windshield. It was the only tint brand this shop offered but there was also a number of exotics sitting out front with the same film used so I was good with the choice since the installer was recommended by a friend and had very good reviews. In person the tint is charcoal in color which I prefer. No green or blue or shiny metallic shades. It looks darker in some lighting depending on the weather.

In VA without a medical waiver legal limit on front driver/passenger windows is 50% and 35% the rest. Mixing tint shades front and black doesn’t flow well in my opinion. My first car I got 50% all around and immediately regretted it as it didn’t even look tinted. 2nd car I did 20% all around on a black coupe. It looked mean as hell and great but nighttime driving needed some extra attention. In my opinion 35% all around is the minimum if you decide to tint. If your local law is 50% fronts and strictly enforced I wouldn’t even bother with tint. Around here I see vehicles of all makes and model with 20% tint which isn’t legal even with a medical waiver so I decided to take the risk and get something that looks good.

Appreciate 0
      07-21-2020, 07:10 PM   #268
YKIGI
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Quadrifoglio

I went with ceramic tints 40% all around and 70% on the windshield.

Could not be happier

E46 wagon ~ E46 330ci ZHP ~E46 M3 Sold ~ E92 335i Sold ~ E90 M3 Sold ~ F82 M4 Sold <- All Manuals
Appreciate 0