BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs)

03-28-2018, 02:41 PM   #1
Gtalancon
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 Azurite M4 ZCP

Xpel or Suntek on dark paint?

Hi all,

Picked up my Azurite Black Metallic M4 last week! Will make a post on it soon. I'm getting a FULL ppf wrap and was wondering if anyone had any experience on xpel vs suntek on dark colored cars?

I've read a lot on it and it seems that people think suntek is glossier but xpel offers more protection?

I plan on coating with Ceramic Pro on top of the ppf so will that help add more gloss if I went xpel? Does anyone with suntek have any experience with the film being "weaker" when it comes to rock chips?

I also would prefer cquartz finest but there's only one shop that does that up here in the bay area and they're booked for the next month and a half.

Age old question I know, but figured I'd be the first to ask in spring of 2018. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2018, 04:16 PM   #2
Aaaaaaaaa
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: The other M3

Suntek has better clarity (less orange peel) than Xpel supposedly. Probably a better choice for darker colors. On silver and white I'd reckon it's pretty hard to tell the difference. I'm a bit dubious if any coating lasts on top of PPF but I did it anyway. Probably not that important which brand of coating you get on top of PPF.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2018, 04:48 PM   #3
smithf80
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 6MT

Garage List
2022 G20 330i  [9.00]
2018 F80 M3  [9.75]
Suntek is just better overall, regardless of color.
      03-28-2018, 05:32 PM   #4
Clark_Kent
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Retired

I have Azurite Black and went with SunTek Ultra. I had XPel on my Alpine White and was pleased with it. Does SunTek have a higher gloss than XPel? Yes. Is it a night and day difference? In my opinion, No. There are many topics that are sensationalized on this forum and I believe this is one of them. I recommend checking out both films in person, not online via pictures and make a call. Both are good films. Often times you’re guided by what your detailer carries if you plan on getting a ceramic coating installed. Not that it can’t be done but I wouldn’t be interested in having film applied once place and coating installed elsewhere.
Appreciate 1
      03-28-2018, 06:32 PM   #5
Drew@Sonic MS
Captain
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Give Stek a shot, we've used all 3 brands and Stek is by far the finish. 10 year warranty as well and it's true hydrophobic.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2018, 10:59 PM   #6
Gtalancon
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Thanks for the input guys. I’m leaning more towards Suntek. Also I got the whole “lifetime protection” sell from a ceramic coating shop today. I’m glad I read these forums and know it’s all BS. See you tomorrow Drew! Maybe you can show me some film in person and help me out.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2018, 10:42 PM   #7
Eric S
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: in pre-order stages

Don't do it! There is no such thing as a lifetime protection option. Look at the fine print. You are buying into marketing! Coatings degrade over time, there is ZERO way you can put a lifetime warranty on it. Even the more legit ceramic pro installers don't tell you it will last a lifetime!

google a guy who's car was done 4 times with CP and he wasn't happy and CP told him to kick rocks as there was nothing left for them to do because the product didn't stack up...no refund given either!

Expected durability is what you are after as there are to may variables to offer a warranty with coatings....frequency of washes, how its washed, what soaps are used, how its dried, how its cared for, etc. A warranty with a coating is a sales pitch and that's it...plain and simple.

Here is the warranty exclusions from CP...everything they market as they will protect against...excluded in the fine print. swirls, light scratches, etchings, etc.

The lighter banging on the paint trick...you can do that on an uncoated car. The lighting the car on fire...you can do that on an uncoated car. The LIFESTYLE marketing...maybe for the owners, lol.

There are differences in the coating options. Modesta, Gtechnique, gyeon, cquartz etc...some will last longer than others, some will look better, some will protect better. Its best to ask your installer the best bet for your situation.
Attached Images

Last edited by Eric S; 03-30-2018 at 08:19 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2018, 10:45 PM   #8
Eric S
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtalancon View Post
Thanks for the input guys. I’m leaning more towards Suntek. Also I got the whole “lifetime protection” sell from a ceramic coating shop today. I’m glad I read these forums and know it’s all BS. See you tomorrow Drew! Maybe you can show me some film in person and help me out.
suntek ultra with a coating on top will be better than Stek without a coating.
comes at a cost though, you are usually paying for the coating on the whole car vs the couple hundred only on the PPF.

Our personal preference is Suntek ultra PPF, then Stek, then 3m with the added warranty ($3500 towards paint damage), then lastly would be Xpel as it has a very bad orange peel effect to it. They really need to figure it out as their last three films have not gotten rid of the orange peel/grainy effect. Side by side, you will notice a HUGE difference in Xpel vs Suntek

Last edited by Eric S; 03-30-2018 at 08:17 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2018, 10:56 PM   #9
Gtalancon
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric S View Post
suntek ultra with a coating on top will be better than Stek without a coating.
comes at a cost though, you are usually paying for the coating on the whole car vs the couple hundred only on the PPF.

Our personal preference is Suntek ultra PPF, then Stek, then 3m with the added warranty ($3500 towards paint damage), then lastlyu would be Xpel as it has a very bad orange peel effect to it. They really need to figure it out as their last three films have not gotten rid of the orange peel/grainy effect. Side by side, you will notice a HUGE difference in Xpel vs Suntek

I’m definitely going Suntek over XPEL. I would prefer cquartz finest reserve but the only installer in my area won’t install over someoene else’s film job. Annoying but they’re the only available installer so they make the rules. Do you have any experience with Ceramic Pro? Worth it? I’m going with the “5 year protection” which is the 9h and the light. I know warranty is bs but I didn’t just want the Light so I chose based on the amount of coats not warranty.
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2018, 11:49 PM   #10
Eric S
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtalancon View Post
I’m definitely going Suntek over XPEL. I would prefer cquartz finest reserve but the only installer in my area won’t install over someoene else’s film job. Annoying but they’re the only available installer so they make the rules. Do you have any experience with Ceramic Pro? Worth it? I’m going with the “5 year protection” which is the 9h and the light. I know warranty is bs but I didn’t just want the Light so I chose based on the amount of coats not warranty.
When CP came to the socal area, I was one of the first to be introduced to the product. I tested it on my own car, showed it to 20 clients before I decided not to carry it... it muted the finish compared to the other coating I had on my hood as a test. (looked more dull) scratched less easily, but the look was lacking...that was on a metallic paint job as well.

CQF is ok, haven't used CQFR
Gtechnique is good, variable levels of protection
Modesta BC04 - nothing else compares. its the best coating we have ever used and applied. 75% of our jobs include BC04, and 90% of our work includes coatings...

if you are anywhere close to the fresno area, contact elite auto spa. Andre will take care of you with PPF and modesta

That's very strange that someone will not apply their coating over a PPF job done by someone else within a week. I would venture a guess he is trying to get both the ppf and CQFR knowing he is the only installer of CQFR in the area...sounds fishy

Last edited by Eric S; 03-29-2018 at 11:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2018, 02:16 PM   #11
Robby29
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: AP M4 / Z3 2.8

Sorry to jack thread but I just picked up a 2015 m4.. can i still apply PPF?
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2018, 11:54 PM   #12
Dirty Harry
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 zcp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robby29 View Post
Sorry to jack thread but I just picked up a 2015 m4.. can i still apply PPF?
I don't see why not. It'll prevent new rocks chips and scratches. Also depends on the condition of the car. May not be worth it if it already has quite a bit of chips/scratches throughout the vehicle. Though you can invest in a full wrap to cover it up if you're willing to pay for that.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2018, 11:32 AM   #13
Eric S
Lieutenant
Rep

depending on how chipped up it is, it might be best to repaint the bumper and then PPF it.

We have wrapped 2014 cars that had very little rock chips and also 2018 with tons of rock chips. the paint on the cars today is seemingly getting easier and easier to chip up
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2018, 07:46 PM   #14
Poiseuille
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 DCT Tanzanite/Amaro

Garage List
  [0.00]
  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithf80 View Post
Suntek is just better overall, regardless of color.
This is not the first thread where Suntek appears to be the winner, but I'm in central New Jersey and there are no installers anywhere near me, are there?
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2018, 07:55 PM   #15
smithf80
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 6MT

Garage List
2022 G20 330i  [9.00]
2018 F80 M3  [9.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poiseuille View Post
This is not the first thread where Suntek appears to be the winner, but I'm in central New Jersey and there are no installers anywhere near me, are there?
Honestly, if you're really anal, drive out to Farmingdale, LI and drop your car at Executive Paint Protection. The owner, Carl, has been doing clear bra for a very long time and does amazing work. Give them a call, ask for Carl or Devin and say that Scott sent you and they absolutely will take care of you. Wouldn't trust anyone else with my car.
      04-09-2018, 03:23 PM   #16
Eric S
Lieutenant
Rep

contact phil at detailers domain, tell him you want suntek. maybe they can order up a roll for you
Appreciate 1
Poiseuille5378.00
      04-19-2018, 04:31 PM   #17
DDR MFS
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 MW/CSC/6MT/18s

Weigh in here for what it is worth. Had Xpel on last car. Protected great, self-healing, and it wasn't bad on light colors (Carrara White on my Cayman). Just got the new car in MW and did the nose and bonnet (up to power bump) with XPEL, and did the CF roof, mirrors, rear bumper deck, and door edges in STek. Fenders were done with XPEL. Also did the door handle recesses in STek too to prevent fingernails and rings from dinging up the paint.

Perfectly happy with the way all the material looks on all the surfaces. Yeh you can see a line if you really dig for it, but on the MW it tones out nicely given the metallic finish. Totally happy with it.

Point is, you can also combine what materials you use across the car. Where I am located, there is a general aversion to 3M. Heard some nightmare stories about applying it and what it did to paint and clear coats. It might all be voodoo, but it was enough to make me stay away from it.

Hope this helps, but it probably does not.

Last edited by DDR MFS; 04-19-2018 at 04:45 PM..
Appreciate 0