Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

View Poll Results: What transmission will-you-get or do-you-have in your M3/M4?
6MT 1,320 53.57%
DCT 1,144 46.43%
Voters: 2464. You may not vote on this poll

04-01-2018, 06:03 PM   #3103
Circuit Hunter
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Now put him in DCT and I bet he beats all his best MT times.

And that's the point: there's the fastest you can drive, and that's always faster than the fastest you can drive in an MT.

And for me, winning is just more fun but that doesn't mean I don't love MTs, I do, I just like winning more than mastering anachronistic technologies ... although I like that too. Few things are more fun that sailing, which I don't do for speed, but for relaxing. That's also when I drive an MT.
That's not why this particular person chose the manual M2 over a DCT. Everyone knows that the DCT is the faster transmission apples for apples.

And that wasn't your point. In your first post that I responded to you stated that manuals are "sooo slow" on a road course. That's simply not true and misleading. Maybe for you they are. I'm marginally faster with a DCT. That's my point.

Lastly, how can you claim that you are faster than me on a road course? I don't know you and you don't know me...you may very well be faster than me but if so it wouldn't necessarily be because of the tranny. It would be because you are simply a better driver.
      04-01-2018, 11:49 PM   #3104
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Circuit Hunter View Post

Lastly, how can you claim that you are faster than me on a road course? I don't know you and you don't know me...you may very well be faster than me but if so it wouldn't necessarily be because of the tranny. It would be because you are simply a better driver.

Because years ago we all agreed this is a ridiculous thread, the only purpose of which is to ??
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2018, 06:28 AM   #3105
captainaudio
World's Foremost Authority
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 Cab - Cayenne GTS - Jag XK
Location: Upper East Side Manhattan - Boca Raton FL - Lime Rock CT

Nobody goes home without a trophy!

Quote:
Now put him in DCT and I bet he beats all his best MT times.

And that's the point: there's the fastest you can drive, and that's always faster than the fastest you can drive in an MT.

And for me, winning is just more fun but that doesn't mean I don't love MTs, I do, I just like winning more than mastering anachronistic technologies ... although I like that too. Few things are more fun that sailing, which I don't do for speed, but for relaxing. That's also when I drive an MT.

To accommodate the slower MT drivers the SCCA and other sanctioning bodies need to add some new categories for trophies. Sort of like "Miss Congeniality" in a beauty pageant.

Because I have a DCT I was able to create these two Photoshopped trophies while I was driving. Could not have done that in an MT car.
Attached Images

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center - Society of Automotive Historians - Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (0nly a VP) - BMWCCA - Porsche Club of America - M Gruppe - Polish Race Drivers of America (PDRA) - Glen Club (Watkins Glen International) - Jaguar Club of Southern New England

Last edited by captainaudio; 04-05-2018 at 02:35 PM..
Appreciate 3
GrussGott18152.00
Foxyy266.50
      04-02-2018, 10:12 PM   #3106
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by captainaudio View Post
To accommodate the slower MT drivers the SCCA and other sanctioning bodies need to add some new categories for trophies. Sort of like "Miss Congeniality" in a beauty pageant.

Because I have a DCT I was able to create those two Photoshopped trophies while I was driving. Could not have done that in an MT car.
Appreciate 1
georgere585.50
      04-07-2018, 12:22 PM   #3107
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
What you fail to understand is that a good driver is a good driver regardless of the transmission.
And that same good driver is hobbled by his vehicle's input controls via an inferior transmission like an MT. It's a not a debate, it's just a fact. MT is a slow archaic transmission - that doesn't mean it isn't fun or involving, they are! That doesn't mean you can't race them, you can!

It just means a good driver will always be faster in a DCT - if they're not, then they're not a good driver.

I bet captainaudio has vinyl albums. They're fun! It's a physical disk you have to extract from its case that has cool cover art, evokes nostalgia, and makes just playing the opening note of a single track a whole experience; clicking a button isn't close to that experience and doesn't come near setting the mood for the music, which after all is an emotional experience.

All of that said, no physical analog media (vinyl, tapes) can reproduce the physical sound better than good digital.

So MT vs DCT really isn't a debate, it's a choice of values:

* I prioritize the experience of creating speed - get the MT

* I prioritize the experience of ultimate speed - get the DCT
Appreciate 2
      04-07-2018, 03:12 PM   #3108
captainaudio
United_States
Rep

Quote:
And that same good driver is hobbled by his vehicle's input controls via an inferior transmission like an MT. It's a not a debate, it's just a fact. MT is a slow archaic transmission - that doesn't mean it isn't fun or involving, they are! That doesn't mean you can't race them, you can!

It just means a good driver will always be faster in a DCT - if they're not, then they're not a good driver.

I bet captainaudio has vinyl albums. They're fun! It's a physical disk you have to extract from its case that has cool cover art, evokes nostalgia, and makes just playing the opening note of a single track a whole experience; clicking a button isn't close to that experience and doesn't come near setting the mood for the music, which after all is an emotional experience.

All of that said, no physical analog media (vinyl, tapes) can reproduce the physical sound better than good digital.

I got rid of my vinyl albums a number of years ago and no longer own a turntable. I recently transferred my entire CD collection to a Brennan B2 using FLAC lossless compression.

http://www.thebrennan.com

Drivers Club at Lime Rock - International Motorsports Research Center - Society of Automotive Historians - Madison Avenue Sports Car Driving and Chowder Society (0nly a VP) - BMWCCA - Porsche Club of America - M Gruppe - Polish Race Drivers of America (PDRA) - Glen Club (Watkins Glen International) - Jaguar Club of Southern New England

Last edited by captainaudio; 04-07-2018 at 04:26 PM..
Appreciate 1
GrussGott18152.00
      04-08-2018, 09:01 AM   #3109
Circuit Hunter
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

I don't think anyone is arguing with that. The DCT plain and simple is the faster transmission. I've owned two cars with them although my 2014 GTR tranny is much slower than the BMW DCT. And before I put a trans cooler in the GTR every manual car would pass me once the car went into limp mode on a hot track day.

My argument is you believe you are faster than manual drivers on a track because you have DCT. That's a bold statement, but if it makes you feel better that's cool.
      04-08-2018, 10:26 AM   #3110
captainaudio
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I don't think anyone is arguing with that. The DCT plain and simple is the faster transmission. I've owned two cars with them although my 2014 GTR tranny is much slower than the BMW DCT. And before I put a trans cooler in the GTR every manual car would pass me once the car went into limp mode on a hot track day.

My argument is you believe you are faster than manual drivers on a track because you have DCT. That's a bold statement, but if it makes you feel better that's cool.
I think the point is that given two cars that are identical except that one has an MT and the other has a DCT a skilled driver will be faster around the track in the DCT. That does not imply that having a DCT will make you faster around the track than a driver in an MT. I regularly see expert drivers in Spec Miatas with MTs turning faster lap times than some drivers in M3/4s regardless of which transmission the M has.

Appreciate 1
CanAutM321115.00
      04-08-2018, 07:30 PM   #3111
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
IMy argument is you believe you are faster than manual drivers on a track because you have DCT. That's a bold statement, but if it makes you feel better that's cool
Quote:
I think the point is that given two cars that are identical except that one has an MT and the other has a DCT a skilled driver will be faster around the track in the DCT. That does not imply that having a DCT will make you faster around the track than a driver in an MT.
yup, cap'n has it right.

and beyond that, and beyond the track, there are real roads mille miglia style and in mountains with vertical hairpins, chicains, and switch backs it becomes humanly impossible to keep up to a good DCT paddle shifter ... although of course that depends on the course and the car and its powerband.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2018, 09:06 AM   #3112
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
I think the point is that given two cars that are identical except that one has an MT and the other has a DCT a skilled driver will be faster around the track in the DCT. That does not imply that having a DCT will make you faster around the track than a driver in an MT. I regularly see expert drivers in Spec Miatas with MTs turning faster lap times than some drivers in M3/4s regardless of which transmission the M has.
^ This

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2018, 10:37 AM   #3113
03evoIII
Scot - 2015 M3 SO
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Sakhir Orange BMW M3

I’ve driven m/t in my all but one (it was a piece purpose built drag car though) of my sports cars and I have to say that I love the DCT in my M3. This is my first M car and first BMW and I was on the fence initially about getting the DCT but so glad I did. This is especially true if you want to daily it and deal with traffic in your commute. That’s my .02 cents. 🙂
Scot
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2018, 11:03 AM   #3114
M3GymNut
Major
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3Comp

Quote:
That's not why this particular person chose the manual M2 over a DCT. Everyone knows that the DCT is the faster transmission apples for apples.

And that wasn't your point. In your first post that I responded to you stated that manuals are "sooo slow" on a road course. That's simply not true and misleading. Maybe for you they are. I'm marginally faster with a DCT. That's my point.

Don't feed the troll man.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2018, 08:56 PM   #3115
CarbonFiberCo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Love the quickness and feel of DCT. More responsive and also much better for daily driving. Just my 2 cents
Appreciate 2
      04-29-2018, 03:52 AM   #3116
kdu3
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 M4 ZCP

I just swapped my 17 ZCP DCT for a 18 ZCP Manual. The DCT got boring after a while. It’s definitely faster and has shorter gear ratios. Overall it’s a fantastic transmission, but not as smooth as the PDK for example. I don’t think BMW struck the balance between harsh and fast. I’ll report back on the manual experience after the break in, but hopefully it’s more rewarding to drive overall.
Appreciate 2
      04-29-2018, 09:53 AM   #3117
KakashiSenpai
Troll
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 Comp

My E92 M3 was my first "automatic." Goodness what a great transmission it was!! Because the aggressive downshifts & amazing exhaust note, I couldn't find any reasons to not drive in M mode.

Once the M4 came out there was no question on what transmission I would pick - DCT! Owning the M4 for almost 3 years, with continuous daily driving & countless track days, I still have the same feeling as I did with my E92.

HOWEVER.. the "boredom" of the DCT did get a hold of me.. Solution? I decided to go back a few a generations & purchased an 06 E46 M3 for the days I get "bored" w/ DCT
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-29-2018, 03:25 PM   #3118
Howard_R
Private
Rep
Drives: 2017 Sakhir Orange M4

Fixed it for you

Quote:

* I prioritize the experience of not boring - get the MT

* I prioritize the experience of boring - get the DCT
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2018, 03:35 PM   #3119
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard_R View Post
Fixed it for you

Quote:

* I prioritize the experience of not boring - get the MT

* I prioritize the experience of boring - get the DCT
For daily use, that's true.

For sport drivers, I'll admit, all the winning can get boring
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2018, 05:23 AM   #3120
jdarwin
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Convertible BSM DCT

I recently purchased a 2018 M3 w/6mt. I sold my 2017 M2 w/DCT. The DCT is a fantastic option. I thought I would miss it. I haven't.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2018, 03:06 PM   #3121
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdarwin View Post
I recently purchased a 2018 M3 w/6mt. I sold my 2017 M2 w/DCT. The DCT is a fantastic option. I thought I would miss it. I haven't.
you know what's interesting - my 2015 DCT was a fucking mule kick to the back of the head ... I drove an MT for a week and by about day 3 I was REALLY missing the DCT. These 2018 CPs though ... I"m not sure I could say the same. They're not as batshit.

I'd always take the DCT for performance reasons, but it also used to be for experience reasons. Now I'm not so sure. I think the MT control would be more fun in daily driving situations.

Daily driving: 2015 no contest, DCT. 2018, MT.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2018, 09:48 PM   #3122
Manbearpigbear
Banned
Rep
Drives: F80

Can someone please explain to me exactly how driving a manual is 10x more engaging than using paddles on the DCT? Instead of pressing a paddle, you move your foot little and push a lever, woopdidoo, does your pant bulge grow bigger now?
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2018, 10:42 PM   #3123
Circuit Hunter
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manbearpigbear View Post
Can someone please explain to me exactly how driving a manual is 10x more engaging than using paddles on the DCT? Instead of pressing a paddle, you move your foot little and push a lever, woopdidoo, does your pant bulge grow bigger now?
Can't be explained, has to be experienced. With that being said the DCT is a tremendous transmission.
jninja514.50
      05-01-2018, 10:55 PM   #3124
Nikolas
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 996 TT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manbearpigbear View Post
For me, it has to do with using all 4 limbs in a more deliberate way of finessing power delivery of the whole package. Paddles are more of an on / off switch closely tied to the steering action, since your hands don't leave the wheel. There's no question DCT is faster. MT is just more engaging in the drive. That to me, makes it more fun.
Appreciate 3
SakhirM410784.50
boss2k1078.00
HSF87ZED228.00