proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

06-26-2017, 07:31 PM   #45
shyu0622
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M3

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
Wow, it's good to see that I've sparked quite the conversation here!

Driving impressions: The 997.1S was undoubtedly fast, and it sounded nice too. I kind of wish the exhaust were a little louder, but never got around to pulling the trigger on an aftermarket. I didn't want to drop 2gs, start that whole modifying game with a nice classic just for some sound. Also, I read (on the interwebs) that there's really not much you could do in the way of gains short of going FI. Handling was really nice, but with the engine way out the ass end, it was a bit different than what I was used to; certainly not something I could've gotten familiarized with, though. The pedals were ok, and the clutch was just firm enough. The floor hinged throttle made heel-toe a little more of a challenge than my S2k from way back. All in all, it was a great vehicle and about as pure as you could ask for. The only thing that ultimately made me make the jump was just that I couldn't daily drive it. I didn't want to put a ton of miles on it because I thought it would eventually do the same thing the 993s have. Also, I didn't want to be labeled the "expendable" employee when times got tough and projects slowed to a trickle because "hell, he drives a 911, he'll be fine." In hindsight, in '08 when I picked up my 335i lease, that may have been a contributing factor. No proof of that whatsoever, and I know correlation does not indicate causation.

Now, The M3... It's been about a week and change now. This thing is ridiculously fast, and that fact that I'm losing traction changing gears is something I'm definitely not used to! The "exhaust" note, that we all know is "augmented", is almost a little comical. It doesn't sound great, but it lets you know that you're going pretty fast, and you're about to get a ticket soon if you don't lift off that pedal. The shifts are fast, but not quite PDK-fast. The incognito factor is nice - it's just a 3-series, right?? Also, coming from the 997.1 where the PCM was antiquated, and even though it did have Nav, the off the shelf TomTom looks nicer than the Porsche's. The person who ordered my M3 checked every single box, besides the Competition Package (d'oh!), so I have cameras on just about all corners, lane departure warning, distance sensing, and blind spot indicators to go with every other M3 goody. This thing has just about every creature comfort, with the exception of cupholders in the rear passenger seats (whaat??!).

I'm still at the stage where I'm enjoying the new car, but it's just a matter of time before I know I'll miss the 997 for its sheer rawness, and it's quirkiness. I haven't popped the hood of the M3 looking to drop a bag of groceries in the frunk.. and who knows, maybe one day, I'll be doing that again in a 991.1.. or a Model S.

Drive safe, and watch for idiot drivers out there!

Oh, btw.. looking for a good place to get ClearBra and windows tinted (guys, what % is ideal?) in the 562/714 area! Send me your recommendations!
Appreciate 0