GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > USA - Southwest

06-11-2018, 01:22 AM   #1
m4space
Rep
Drives: M4

Las Vegas Resident and Buying in California

I found an M4 that I like but it's in LA, California. I live in Vegas. I'd like to trade my car in too and I'm wondering how this works. The DMV website is really vague and the info I found seems to be dated so I'm not sure if it's current. The person that I was working with at the dealer knew his stuff so I was able to get most things answered.

Things I think I know, as of JUNE 2018:
  • Los Angeles County CA Car Sales Tax: 9.5%
  • Clark County Las Vegas Nevada Car Sales Tax: 8.1%
  • California taxes you on the full price of the vehicle (60k sale, 20k trade in, 60k taxed)
  • Nevada only taxes you on the difference in value between new car and trade in. (60k - 20k trade in = 40k taxed)
  • The dealer will issue a permit for me to drive the car back to Las Vegas but I'd have to pay LA sales tax and lose out on the tax credit
  • If I choose instead to only have the car taxed in NV, then I'd have to have it shipped back to Vegas since I can't drive it in CA

Has anyone had this experience? Tips?

Questions:
1.) Is any of the information above inaccurate?
2.) Is the tax credit applicable for out of state sales with trade in?
3.) The dealer offered to help me find companies to ship the car for me but I'd like to find my own. Any tips on this?

I'm not gonna quibble over a couple hundred bucks but if I have the potential to save a thousand or two, I'd like to consider it. I'd really like to drive it back rather than having it shipped but that seems to not be so cost effective when tax credit is considered.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2018, 09:57 AM   #2
iamvietness
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4space View Post
I found an M4 that I like but it's in LA, California. I live in Vegas. I'd like to trade my car in too and I'm wondering how this works. The DMV website is really vague and the info I found seems to be dated so I'm not sure if it's current. The person that I was working with at the dealer knew his stuff so I was able to get most things answered.

• California taxes you on the full price of the vehicle (60k sale, 20k trade in, 60k taxed)
  • Nevada only taxes you on the difference in value between new car and trade in. (60k - 20k trade in = 40k taxed)
  • The dealer will issue a permit for me to drive the car back to Las Vegas but I'd have to pay LA sales tax and lose out on the tax credit
  • If I choose instead to only have the car taxed in NV, then I'd have to have it shipped back to Vegas since I can't drive it in CA

Questions:
3.) The dealer offered to help me find companies to ship the car for me but I'd like to find my own. Any tips on this?

I'm not gonna quibble over a couple hundred bucks but if I have the potential to save a thousand or two, I'd like to consider it. I'd really like to drive it back rather than having it shipped but that seems to not be so cost effective when tax credit is considered.

I would call the dealer you're looking to buy from and talk to the sales advisor. You won't be the first or the last person out of Cali to buy from them i'm sure. Someone has the answers for you.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2018, 07:50 PM   #3
paliknight
fuck this field
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 F80 CS/18 F80 ZCP/19 M2C

I've purchased multiple vehicles from california (out of state). They can give you a temporary registration that will actually say just that (itll specify that its just for driving it out of the state). I believe the fee for it is 20 dollars or so. When you trade in your vehicle itll be listed on the Bill of Sale. Take that bill of sale to register it in Las Vegas and they will only tax you on the difference. I have done this multiple times with success.
      06-23-2018, 07:53 PM   #4
paliknight
fuck this field
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 F80 CS/18 F80 ZCP/19 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by m4space View Post

Questions:

One Trip Permit(CVC §4003)
A one trip permit may be issued for a fee, in lieu of California registration, to move a vehicle required to be registered:

When unladen, for one continuous trip from a place within California to a place in or outside California or from outside California to a place in California (by the most direct route).
For participation as a vehicular float or display in a lawful parade or exhibition for one round trip from one place to another. The total round trip cannot exceed 100 miles and must be completed within 60 days.

https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/de...Wj-jNJ3rHC3Q!/