EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

05-24-2018, 11:48 AM   #133
f80er
Banned
Rep
Drives: An M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jninja View Post
I got more for my Accord there ($16k), than my own dealer offered me $14.5k... and no one in person paid up. So i went Carmax, no regrets.
I sold 3 cars to carmax.

2011 A4 Avant, dealer offered $23K carmax gave me $28K.
2014 Audi S4, carmax gave me $41K low but I was over it.
2013 Ford Raptor carmax gave me $45K, dealer offered me $35K hoping I didn't know what it was worth.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2018, 03:54 PM   #134
dongerkim
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f80

Quote:
Originally Posted by f80er View Post
I sold 3 cars to carmax.

2013 Ford Raptor carmax gave me $45K, dealer offered me $35K hoping I didn't know what it was worth.
Now i feel like an idiot for not even considering carmax. I just sold my f80 to the dealership one day as i was waiting for my car in service. I was 14 months into my lease and had 20k miles and came to an agreement of they would buy the car outright and i could walk away. But i needed the car for another 2 weeks and told them i would sell it to them then, and they said the offer may be off the table. Walked in 2 weeks later and took a cab home lol.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2018, 04:44 PM   #135
frankiebones
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Fire Orange G80 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by maniz View Post
Exactly. As stated, I misjudged my speed. And didn't look at the speedo, and was low on caffeine early in the morning.
Top speed in 2nd gear is 71 (from what i have both read and experienced). I once shifted almost fully into 2nd at 69 when i meant to go into 4th (one of 2 mis shifts out of tens of thousands in my life).

The other was a similar situation where I went into 2nd after shifting at the redline in 3rd. i was going around a corner and let the clutch out MAYBE 10% when I immediately felt the car pitch and yaw in a weird way. close....but still here.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2018, 08:33 AM   #136
bimmerfrk
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Ferrari Red F83

none of you know how to drive a manual. Hang it up and get yourselves DCTs, they are faster anyway.....
Inf4life217.00
      05-25-2018, 08:53 AM   #137
Aaaaaaaaa
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: The other M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmerfrk View Post
none of you know how to drive a manual. Hang it up and get yourselves DCTs, they are faster anyway.....
Y'all should get a N55 M2 while you're at it
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2018, 09:36 AM   #138
avantix
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 M4CS Lime Rock Grey

Quote:

A quick shot of cheap Tequila isn't nearly as satisfying as a glass of premium scotch
      05-25-2018, 02:54 PM   #139
gunsmoker
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:
Loved the reply. Maybe we like the torture of it.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2018, 02:58 PM   #140
qba335i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jninja View Post
I got more for my Accord there ($16k), than my own dealer offered me $14.5k... and no one in person paid up. So i went Carmax, no regrets.
I sold 3 cars to carmax.

I never sold directly to carmax, but used their cash offer to negotiate. Dealers eventually match the price and I get the tax benefit.
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2018, 11:48 AM   #141
FlyS4
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M4 CP

OP, was this DME flashed or removed and drilled to unlock?
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2018, 09:30 PM   #142
moonshine89
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dongerkim View Post
Quote:
I sold 3 cars to carmax.

Now i feel like an idiot for not even considering carmax. I just sold my f80 to the dealership one day as i was waiting for my car in service. I was 14 months into my lease and had 20k miles and came to an agreement of they would buy the car outright and i could walk away. But i needed the car for another 2 weeks and told them i would sell it to them then, and they said the offer may be off the table. Walked in 2 weeks later and took a cab home lol.
Uh...how did a dealership buy a car you were leasing? More importantly, how would you have sold a car to CarMax if you were leasing it? Am I missing something?
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2018, 09:40 PM   #143
1M4
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 16 M4 Alp/Sakhir CF Roof 19"

At 14 months into the lease you had negative equity,how much was it?

Quote:
I never had a bmw lease where I wasn’t negative if I tried to sell it, even at car max .All of my lease returns were under 20k miles at the end of 36 month leases and the condition was excellent garage kept .
Appreciate 0
      06-14-2018, 10:45 PM   #144
gmorton995
Veteran Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 Porsche GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1M4 View Post
I never had a bmw lease where I wasn’t negative if I tried to sell it, even at car max .All of my lease returns were under 20k miles at the end of 36 month leases and the condition was excellent garage kept .
Same. Would love to know the dealer. I am looking for someone to take my lease over on my ‘18 M4 ZCP. Listed on Swapalease.

Stuck on a Porsche GT4 at the moment
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2018, 03:38 AM   #145
instarand
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonshine89 View Post
Quote:
Quote:
I sold 3 cars to carmax.

Uh...how did a dealership buy a car you were leasing? More importantly, how would you have sold a car to CarMax if you were leasing it? Am I missing something?
A lease is no different than a loan. You owe the bank money, or the car. You can sell privately, or trade, or pay the bank at any time.

The issue is that usually the balance remaining (residual + remaining payments) is a higher amount than the car is worth. Which often makes you upside down on the loan. But it's not uncommon to have equity when your lease is up if you drive low miles or the market for that car is high.

Most people don't understand this about a lease. And most dealers don't tell you about it. People assume you owe the car to the dealer. The dealer is an irrelevant third party relative to your lease. It's between you and the bank.

Note about selling privately. While this may be the best way to get out of a lease since you can get retail dollars vs wholesale, most private buyers want title in hand. In order for the sale to work, you'd have to either pay off the car in full and get the title and then sell the car, or find a buyer that's willing to send a whole lot of cash to your bank and then hope it all goes smooth and then completes the sale once the title arrives. If the buyer is a Family member or close friend or somebody you know, option 2 is more realistic.
Appreciate 1
boss2k1085.50
      06-15-2018, 01:33 PM   #146
FlyS4
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M4 CP

My question still stands was this a Drilled DME like they used to do it or was it just flashed?
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2018, 08:21 AM   #147
elias
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4

Before I turned in my M4 lease I went to Carmax to see if they would beat my
residual value to make a few bucks. Not a chance they offered my $44k my residual was $45k so I said no thanks.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2018, 03:52 PM   #148
moonshine89
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 18 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by instarand View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I sold 3 cars to carmax.

A lease is no different than a loan. You owe the bank money, or the car. You can sell privately, or trade, or pay the bank at any time.

The issue is that usually the balance remaining (residual + remaining payments) is a higher amount than the car is worth. Which often makes you upside down on the loan. But it's not uncommon to have equity when your lease is up if you drive low miles or the market for that car is high.

Most people don't understand this about a lease. And most dealers don't tell you about it. People assume you owe the car to the dealer. The dealer is an irrelevant third party relative to your lease. It's between you and the bank.

Note about selling privately. While this may be the best way to get out of a lease since you can get retail dollars vs wholesale, most private buyers want title in hand. In order for the sale to work, you'd have to either pay off the car in full and get the title and then sell the car, or find a buyer that's willing to send a whole lot of cash to your bank and then hope it all goes smooth and then completes the sale once the title arrives. If the buyer is a Family member or close friend or somebody you know, option 2 is more realistic.
Wow! You're right! I didn't know that at all. Thanks for the info!
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2018, 05:42 PM   #149
dongerkim
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Wow! You're right! I didn't know that at all. Thanks for the info!
I cant seem to figure out how to quote a quote. The question seems answered but there is one little caveat I have ran into in the past when selling a lease. So basically if I lease a car and someone wants to buy it from me, the way that it works with some manufacturers is I have to buy the car from the bank THEN resell the car to the new owner. This is not necessarily the best route because now I am on the hook for the sales tax of the residual. I ran into this problem in the past with Honda financial.

BUT a dealer can help with the sale/paperwork. Now what happens here is, you sell the car to the dealership, the dealership sells the car to the arranged buyer. The dealership makes some paper work fee I believe (In the realm of $500). Not all dealerships will do this, and for the most part, this is even a BIGGER pain in the ass then trying to sell a car without a title like the previous user mentioned.

Hope this helps
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2018, 12:55 PM   #150
jwzimm
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M3

Quote:
I cant seem to figure out how to quote a quote. The question seems answered but there is one little caveat I have ran into in the past when selling a lease. So basically if I lease a car and someone wants to buy it from me, the way that it works with some manufacturers is I have to buy the car from the bank THEN resell the car to the new owner. This is not necessarily the best route because now I am on the hook for the sales tax of the residual. I ran into this problem in the past with Honda financial.

BUT a dealer can help with the sale/paperwork. Now what happens here is, you sell the car to the dealership, the dealership sells the car to the arranged buyer. The dealership makes some paper work fee I believe (In the realm of $500). Not all dealerships will do this, and for the most part, this is even a BIGGER pain in the ass then trying to sell a car without a title like the previous user mentioned.

Hope this helps
Not to de-rail this thread further, but I will. If the car is sold to a licensed dealer (i.e. traded in) then the sales tax is not charged. This is because the car is not being re-registered in a private parties name and will be sold again very soon at which point sales tax will be collected. I am not certain if CarMax qualifies but I would expect they do.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2018, 12:58 PM   #151
maniz
Assistant TO the Regional Manager
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Coupe

Op, what's the latest update? Are you getting the engine rebuilt or replaced?

Der stärkste buchstabe der welt
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2018, 04:16 PM   #152
dongerkim
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwzimm View Post
Not to de-rail this thread further, but I will. If the car is sold to a licensed dealer (i.e. traded in) then the sales tax is not charged. This is because the car is not being re-registered in a private parties name and will be sold again very soon at which point sales tax will be collected. I am not certain if CarMax qualifies but I would expect they do.
yes this is correct. What I meant was my options of selling to a dealer/carmax (business) or private party. There may be some annoying sales tax that needs to be dealt with when paying for the buyout even though you want to sell it. State + manufactures may differ.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2018, 12:34 AM   #153
AlpineWhiteF30
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW ///M4 Mosselman

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaSmurff82 View Post
I was driving my f82 and as I was about to shift from redline in 3rd to 4th i accidentally shifted into second. After I did that the car drove fine then I got a drive-train malfunction code. After this I drove about 20 miles to the dealership while the malfunction was still there. Do you think I'll be fine or should i be concerned? If it was serious I don't see how I would have been able to drive it all the way to the dealership without it breaking down completely.

Don't sound like its too bad. You'll be alright.. Dudes money shift everyday B..
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2018, 11:39 AM   #154
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpineWhiteF30 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaSmurff82 View Post
I was driving my f82 and as I was about to shift from redline in 3rd to 4th i accidentally shifted into second. After I did that the car drove fine then I got a drive-train malfunction code. After this I drove about 20 miles to the dealership while the malfunction was still there. Do you think I'll be fine or should i be concerned? If it was serious I don't see how I would have been able to drive it all the way to the dealership without it breaking down completely.

Don't sound like its too bad. You'll be alright.. Dudes money shift everyday B..
Oh it was bad.
Appreciate 0