European Auto Source (EAS)
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

10-05-2017, 12:32 PM   #23
sleeprequired
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2018 m3

I’m simply asking if a tamper code is registered or not with the ESS Tune Stage 1. I understand if they really look for it they will find it. I understand the technicality of the situation and also that Aussie warranty laws are a bit different to other countries I’m fine with all that side of it.

My question is does it register a tamper code during a routine service?

As to the consequences I’m aware and will definitely consider things before proceeding, or may not proceed at all.

For the record my personal view is a tune is a problem only if the changes cause the problem. If they do then I’m responsible and will cop it, if they’re not responsible I wouldn’t accept for one minute that my warranty is void altogether.

Australian consumer law pretty much agrees with that perspective. Nobody is trying to do the wrong thing, I just don’t want big brother flagging my car for no GOOD reason.

And my understanding of the ess tune stage 1 is its very conservative and leaves ALL factory warnings operating correctly and didn’t simply delete error codes like a piggyback. If they dig deep enough as well there will be evidence of a piggyback long after it’s removed as well by my understanding.

Last edited by sleeprequired; 10-05-2017 at 12:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2017, 12:44 PM   #24
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeprequired View Post
I’m simply asking if a tamper code is registered or not with the ESS Tune Stage 1. I understand if they really look for it they will find it. I understand the technicality of the situation and also that Aussie warranty laws are a bit different to other countries I’m fine with all that side of it.

My question is does it register a tamper code during a routine service?

As to the consequences I’m aware and will definitely consider things before proceeding, or may not proceed at all.

For the record my personal view is a tune is a problem only if the changes cause the problem. If they do then I’m responsible and will cop it, if they’re not responsible I wouldn’t accept for one minute that my warranty is void altogether.

Australian consumer law pretty much agrees with that perspective. Nobody is trying to do the wrong thing, I just don’t want big brother flagging my car for no GOOD reason.

And my understanding of the ess tune stage 1 is its very conservative and leaves ALL factory warnings operating correctly and didn’t simply delete error codes like a piggyback. If they dig deep enough as well there will be evidence of a piggyback long after it’s removed as well by my understanding.
Every situation is different which is why you'll never get a straight answer.

There is no tamper code present with the ESS flash. There are tons of other ESS-equipped M3/M4s on the road that go through routine service with no issues. NO flash tune can claim to be 100% invisible, but most times dealerships want to get cars in and out as quickly as possible during service, as well as not alienate a possible future buyer if a warranty is at risk.

Hope this helps in your decision.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2017, 01:23 PM   #25
sleeprequired
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
Every situation is different which is why you'll never get a straight answer.

There is no tamper code present with the ESS flash. There are tons of other ESS-equipped M3/M4s on the road that go through routine service with no issues. NO flash tune can claim to be 100% invisible, but most times dealerships want to get cars in and out as quickly as possible during service, as well as not alienate a possible future buyer if a warranty is at risk.

Hope this helps in your decision.
Great yes it does thank you. I have all the information I need to make a decision and live with the consequences accordingly. I am all about being fair and reasonable and would consider a warranty denial simply because of a tune as unfair and unreasonable UNLESS the tune caused the issue, in which case BMW would have a valid case. My view is a tamper code to head office and warranty denial out of hand across the entire vehicle would certainly be unfair and unreasonable.

I hope people understand that point of view, however they are obviously entitled to their point of view whether I agree or not.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2017, 02:30 PM   #26
kerm1t
Captain
Rep
Drives: 17 M3 ZCP Stage 2

Quote:
Great yes it does thank you. I have all the information I need to make a decision and live with the consequences accordingly. I am all about being fair and reasonable and would consider a warranty denial simply because of a tune as unfair and unreasonable UNLESS the tune caused the issue, in which case BMW would have a valid case. My view is a tamper code to head office and warranty denial out of hand across the entire vehicle would certainly be unfair and unreasonable.

I hope people understand that point of view, however they are obviously entitled to their point of view whether I agree or not.
Tom's answers were on point. You'll never get a straight shot answer.. Whether you want life to be fair, even if the tune wasn't at fault, bmw COULD blame the tune as the cause.
Appreciate 0
      10-05-2017, 05:48 PM   #27
sleeprequired
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerm1t View Post
Tom's answers were on point. You'll never get a straight shot answer.. Whether you want life to be fair, even if the tune wasn't at fault, bmw COULD blame the tune as the cause.
i'm all good, i got the confirmation i needed from ESS. Beyond that the ball is in my court.

Thanks everyone!!
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2017, 08:57 AM   #28
Jadar
Dejan
Serbia
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S3

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks Roadrunner - this is the point of contention. I have one source saying it will flag a tamper code, and another source saying it won’t. I genuinely feel both sources believe what they’re saying and I know both have good intentions but one has to be wrong.

No disrespect intended to anyone at my end of course

They are saying it will not be marked as tampered, that is if you do the mapping functionality via the DME, which stage one does not do.
Tuners have figured out a workaround the tamper code and it wont go off upon a dealer visit and OBD diagnostic. And for reference this is 100% fact no matter who the flash tuner is the 1st time all F series DME will have to be removed and unlocked or bench flashed.

Factors for you to consider:
1. ECU flash > than any piggy back
2. Upon a warranty service or some type of failure it is not just the tamper code to worry about. If you need major drive train repair it can be discovered you had a flash or some mod to the ecu as it does leave traces of it being split open. Of course they have to physically inspect it very closely.
3. In all these cases to preserve warranty and mod to have your cake and eat it too a piggy back will be the safest option I hate to say it. It can be removed in minutes if you go with something conservative like JB4 stage 1.
4. I would still do a flash if It were me. I would prob say 90% of the tuned forum will tell you still get a flash.

Good luck. Let us know what you decide.
      10-07-2017, 03:09 AM   #29
sleeprequired
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

It may be that I get the AA midpipes, drive it for 2000k’s and see how I feel. Do I really need warranty issues if there’s a drive train issue....

No matter what it’s a risk...
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2017, 03:07 PM   #30
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

OP, there is always risk, however, ESS flash is probably the safest. Tuners come and go and right now other ones are the flavor of the week, however, ESS has been around BMWs for a long time putting out incredible results with like-stock reliability.

I didn't end up getting an F80 due to the lack of engine music and bought a second E9X, however, if someone were to supercharge my E9X it would only be ESS, same story if I had an F8X.

I have zero desire for 'custom' tuning, or datalogging. Any tune that tells me I have to datalog sets off every alarm in my head. I want something as reliable as stock, that continues to be reliable whether it's hot outside, whether I'm at the track, whether the fuel is lower quality that usual, etc etc etc.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2017, 09:26 AM   #31
CaryTheLabelGuy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post
OP, there is always risk, however, ESS flash is probably the safest. Tuners come and go and right now other ones are the flavor of the week, however, ESS has been around BMWs for a long time putting out incredible results with like-stock reliability.

I didn't end up getting an F80 due to the lack of engine music and bought a second E9X, however, if someone were to supercharge my E9X it would only be ESS, same story if I had an F8X.

I have zero desire for 'custom' tuning, or datalogging. Any tune that tells me I have to datalog sets off every alarm in my head. I want something as reliable as stock, that continues to be reliable whether it's hot outside, whether I'm at the track, whether the fuel is lower quality that usual, etc etc etc.
With all due respect, but you claim to care about safety and reliability, but a tuner asking you to datalog (to check for said safety and reliability) is beyond the pale and sets off alarm bells? You do realize that no two engines are the same and this becomes especially true as you start to push to higher power levels.

IG and Twitter: @CaryTheLabelGuy
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2017, 09:47 AM   #32
mtr3s
Captain
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp

You are taking out an ECU that is locked on purpose, to unlock your DME and increasing stock boost PSI (among other variable), using a 3rd party flash, that does not come with a warranty for your drive train. What dealership is cool with that? Troll post is troll.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2017, 01:21 PM   #33
VF-Engineering
Major
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaryTheLabelGuy View Post
... but a tuner asking you to datalog (to check for said safety and reliability) is beyond the pale and sets off alarm bells?

Different strokes for different folks, right?

You are correct that no two cars are the same, but there is a
significant difference between tuning for optimization versus
maximization.

Modern ECU's allow BMW to produce tens of thousands of cars
per year which all receive the same software prior to being sold
all around the world. The possibility of optimizing performance
with properly developed, tested, validated software exists with
reasonable expectations for similar reliability.

In our experience, it's only once you start pushing for maximum
gains that you end up necessitating the need for dataloging and
constant file revisions as tolerances change and the margins for
error become greater.

I think what needs to be understood on a greater level is that
the majority of BMW owners are not likely to ever modify their
vehicles, while a sub-category of enthusiasts exist (obviously)
who will be looking to optimize power with proven turn-key
products, and an even smaller sub-sub-category exists who
are looking to maximize gains with a willingness to do their
own dataloging or troubleshooting for marginal improvement.

It wouldn't set off alarm bells for those who knowingly seek
that sort of a product/process, but the idea that it's necessary
for achieving consistent and reliable gains is just not the case
as proven by our products and many others.

Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11475.50
      10-12-2017, 01:53 PM   #34
sleeprequired
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Thanks for all the contributions and opinions guys! Personally I am looking for a Stage 1 simply because I was missing that ‘giddy’ acceleration I experienced in the c63s.

I’m not sure why given technically the m3 is quicker but there you go. So the ideas behind the stage 1 was to make it that LITTLE bit quicker.

It’s nice to know I’m still waaaay off the max power of this car. My understanding is we are already reaching the traction limits of the car at a stock let alone a Stage 1 tune.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2017, 02:16 PM   #35
CaryTheLabelGuy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by VF-Engineering View Post

Different strokes for different folks, right?

You are correct that no two cars are the same, but there is a
significant difference between tuning for optimization versus
maximization.
Modern ECU's allow BMW to produce tens of thousands of cars
per year which all receive the same software prior to being sold
all around the world.
Let me just stop you right there - this isn't true at all.

There are many different firmware ROM versions for the S55 and they all react differently to tuning beyond factory values. This is why VF requires the user to update to the newest version before their DME can be unlocked.

IG and Twitter: @CaryTheLabelGuy
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2017, 03:01 PM   #36
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaryTheLabelGuy View Post
With all due respect, but you claim to care about safety and reliability, but a tuner asking you to datalog (to check for said safety and reliability) is beyond the pale and sets off alarm bells? You do realize that no two engines are the same and this becomes especially true as you start to push to higher power levels.
Cary

You know a lot more about tuning than I do so I appreciate your input.
I think what I said earlier stands: "I want something as reliable as stock, that continues to be reliable whether it's hot outside, whether I'm at the track, whether the fuel is lower quality that usual, etc etc etc."

The stock ECU map for M engine safely tries to achieve that power, needed zero datalogging or additional tunes.
What I'd expect out of a flash tune like the ESS one is a level of aggressiveness that works exactly like stock, but with more power. I would not have to alter this tune at all, it would 'just work'.

I understand that if I were to go for a more aggressive tune, then datalogging is important. I'd gain more hp at the expense of having issues when I leave the parameters the datalogging was under. If someone wants max hp this is a good option, but if you want min hassle the other option seems better.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2017, 02:00 AM   #37
ruley74
Lost Motorcyclist
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3M F97

Hi there,

I'm interested in what tunes are available with the ESS tune. On the Web site it goes from stage 1 tune to stage 2 kit essentially.

Is the stage 1 tune encompassing the recommended tune for cars with DP's etc. Is there a modified stage 1 tune for those applications? If there is how does one update to the suitable tune and what is the cost of doing so if coming from a stock stage one tune?

Another one.... I have the ESS e-tronic fitted now, what will I notice the most moving to the tune?

Cheers,
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2017, 02:23 AM   #38
sleeprequired
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Stage 1 doesn’t need and hardware, stage 2 does I believe. Have a look on the ess website re the packages.

No idea on the other stuff.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2017, 02:33 AM   #39
ruley74
Lost Motorcyclist
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2021 X3M F97

Quote:
Stage 1 doesn’t need and hardware, stage 2 does I believe. Have a look on the ess website re the packages.

Yeah that's what I'm going off, hence tune vs kit.

In the stage 1 page it does say "calibrations" for dp's etc. Curious if I get a tune without dp's fitted and fit them later what's the flow on regards tune to match.

Weighing up options as I'll be in Vic in November. Hex, ESS, PP Performance all available down there, BM3 dealer here in Brisbane but not sure about the shop.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2017, 03:04 PM   #40
Rgs M4
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 Pure stage 2, Bm3

Quote:

I had the Ess tune in my car for over a year also went with Catless dp the car ran great and I never had a problem when I put it on the dyno I hit 465 whp I was happy. But I just wanted more so when bm3 came out I decided to make the change and also added pure turbos at the same time. I'm now at 570 whp on 93 Gas and the car runs great the biggest difference between the tunes is customer service. The guys at bm3 are great any questions that come up they have always gotten right back to me, I can't say the same about Ess. As far as warranty I'm in satellite Beach so if you're in Melbourne we probably got our cars at the same place. I've told them about the mods and the have been great no issues with them at all. Hope this helps
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2017, 07:35 AM   #41
sleeprequired
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rgs M4 View Post
I had the Ess tune in my car for over a year also went with Catless dp the car ran great and I never had a problem when I put it on the dyno I hit 465 whp I was happy. But I just wanted more so when bm3 came out I decided to make the change and also added pure turbos at the same time. I'm now at 570 whp on 93 Gas and the car runs great the biggest difference between the tunes is customer service. The guys at bm3 are great any questions that come up they have always gotten right back to me, I can't say the same about Ess. As far as warranty I'm in satellite Beach so if you're in Melbourne we probably got our cars at the same place. I've told them about the mods and the have been great no issues with them at all. Hope this helps
Nice work but that’s way more than I’ll ever do.

Famous last words...
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2017, 02:08 AM   #42
sleeprequired
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

So what about now with flash tuning no ecu removal? Some pretty knowledgeable people were discussion this before but the landscape had changed now right?
Appreciate 0