R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

10-15-2017, 03:53 PM   #1
ismont
Private
Puerto Rico
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 F80 Black Sapphire

Turbolag after changing Intakes?

I dont know... maybe its just me.
I have a M3 '16, no cpk, with some mods.
-Jb4
-Maximum PSI Intakes
-VRSF downpipe

soon also getting new charge pipes.

Thats all the mods...

I think that my car has some turbo lag after changing the stock intakes to the MaxPSI. but still we got on the dyno some good numbers, even dough it was missfired because we didnt have the best mix of fuel and the spark plugs where not change. we made 560hp to the wheel with 93 and e85

but i think the spool is slower with the new intakes... Does any one here has had these? do the stock intakes are better with just the dropping papers change? I'm thinking maybe I need better exhaust flow, to compensate... for the increase intake flow? maybe?

any help will be great...
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2017, 03:56 PM   #2
aBMWfan
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' M3/'15 M4/ '06 M3/ '09 M3/

Quote:
Originally Posted by ismont View Post
I dont know... maybe its just me.
I have a M3 '16, no cpk, with some mods.
-Jb4
-Maximum PSI Intakes
-VRSF downpipe

soon also getting new charge pipes.

Thats all the mods...

I think that my car has some turbo lag after changing the stock intakes to the MaxPSI. but still we got on the dyno some good numbers, even dough it was missfired because we didnt have the best mix of fuel and the spark plugs where not change. we made 560hp to the wheel with 93 and e85

but i think the spool is slower with the new intakes... Does any one here has had these? do the stock intakes are better with just the dropping papers change? I'm thinking maybe I need better exhaust flow, to compensate... for the increase intake flow? maybe?

any help will be great...
You probably need to switch to flash tune. Piggybacks are a generic tune and don't necessarily get the most of out your car.

Did you buy the JB4 used?
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2017, 04:00 PM   #3
JDE92M3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 YMB M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenM4Dominate View Post
You probably need to switch to flash tune. Piggybacks are a generic tune and don't necessarily get the most of out your car.

I truly disagree. Have you tried the Active Autowerke Tune? Maybe less HP/TQ then JB4/flash. But drivability/reliability is amazing, car has had zero issues tracked and for daily use.

JD
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2017, 05:18 PM   #4
aBMWfan
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDE92M3 View Post
I truly disagree. Have you tried the Active Autowerke Tune? Maybe less HP/TQ then JB4/flash. But drivability/reliability is amazing, car has had zero issues tracked and for daily use.

JD
Depends how your car acts with a piggyback, the mods you use with the piggyback, and whether you bought the piggyback new or used.

If you disagree, what do you think is contributing to the turbo lag?
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2017, 06:00 PM   #5
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

The JB4 is bar none the best piggyback available for the S55 platform. I'd suggest using one of its unique features, data logging, to evaluate spool speed with the stock intake and with your new intake to compare. A good test is 5th gear starting at 1500rpm, floor it 100%
until say 4000rpm, then compare between the two intakes to see which gets you spooled up fastest.

BMS said during their initial intake development the longer runs to the front of the car resulted in more intake restriction with no benefit in intake air temp or performance, maybe they were on to
something?

Mike
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2017, 06:29 PM   #6
ismont
Private
Puerto Rico
Rep

Quote:

i did get it used... but we tune the car with the jb4 on map5
i was thinking of going flash tune with HEX, but need more info...
why will a use jb4 give problem? sorry for asking but dont get why...
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2017, 06:30 PM   #7
ismont
Private
Puerto Rico
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@N54Tuning.com View Post
The JB4 is bar none the best piggyback available for the S55 platform. I'd suggest using one of its unique features, data logging, to evaluate spool speed with the stock intake and with your new intake to compare. A good test is 5th gear starting at 1500rpm, floor it 100%
until say 4000rpm, then compare between the two intakes to see which gets you spooled up fastest.

BMS said during their initial intake development the longer runs to the front of the car resulted in more intake restriction with no benefit in intake air temp or performance, maybe they were on to
something?

Mike
Maybe BMS did had something!!!
will try that...

Quote:
Depends how your car acts with a piggyback, the mods you use with the piggyback, and whether you bought the piggyback new or used.

If you disagree, what do you think is contributing to the turbo lag?
dont know what is contributing...
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2017, 06:32 PM   #8
aBMWfan
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
i did get it used... but we tune the car with the jb4 on map5
i was thinking of going flash tune with HEX, but need more info...
why will a use jb4 give problem? sorry for asking but dont get why...
Because the JB4 was used on a previous car that had different calibrations and/ or mods, the JB4 still needs to adjust to your car.

Possibly check the MAF sensors on the intakes as well to make sure everything is installed properly.

The car may also be running lean from the intakes.

Tons of possibilities. Have an experienced tuner take a look at it.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2017, 06:40 PM   #9
ismont
Private
Puerto Rico
Rep

Quote:
Because the JB4 was used on a previous car that had different calibrations and/ or mods, the JB4 still needs to adjust to your car.

Possibly check the MAF sensors on the intakes as well to make sure everything is installed properly.

The car may also be running lean from the intakes.

Tons of possibilities. Have an experienced tuner take a look at it.
thanks will do! ASAP!!!
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2017, 06:56 PM   #10
ismont
Private
Puerto Rico
Rep

HEX tune, good? it will void my warranty right?
the JB4 i take it out for warranty...

Last edited by ismont; 10-15-2017 at 07:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2017, 07:02 PM   #11
aBMWfan
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
HEX tune, good?
I drove my friend's car with HEX tune, OEM DP's and AA mid.

Zero lag, so responsive! @G1n Mast3r
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2017, 08:45 PM   #12
LOW4LYF
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 & F85 X5M

Quote:
HEX tune, good? it will void my warranty right?
the JB4 i take it out for warranty...
JB4 already did 😉
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2017, 08:49 PM   #13
aBMWfan
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Figurka View Post
JB4 already did 😉
+1 JB4's are still detectable even if you remove it.

Where I disagree tho is they won't detect the JB4 unless you need warranty work on the engine, and BMW N/A sends a rep to open up your DME. This is assuming you already remove it before service

Flash tunes are detectable without removing the DME, BMW can remotely notice flash tune installed. And the DME could show signs of tampering

Last edited by aBMWfan; 10-15-2017 at 08:55 PM.. Reason: More info
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2017, 06:32 AM   #14
ismont
Private
Puerto Rico
Rep

Quote:

Where I disagree tho is they won't detect the JB4 unless you need warranty work on the engine, and BMW N/A sends a rep to open up your DME. This is assuming you already remove it before service

Flash tunes are detectable without removing the DME, BMW can remotely notice flash tune installed. And the DME could show signs of tampering
thanks didnt know that! LOL
the warranty for which i take my car is only for the changes and the recall... but for everything else, just take it to my tuner.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2017, 07:32 AM   #15
CaryTheLabelGuy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 ZCP

Quote:

BMWNA can find traces of a piggyback remotely, as this data is stored in FASTA data and can easily be seen if BMW was looking.

Just because the JB4 reports stock boost back to the DME doesn't mean there aren't other big clues to raised boost that will fall outside of what BMW would consider normal operation at stock boost, if they were looking.

IG and Twitter: @CaryTheLabelGuy
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2017, 07:34 AM   #16
CaryTheLabelGuy
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike@N54Tuning.com View Post

something?

Mike
I agree. I'm not a HUGE fan of the long-run intakes. I think they sound good and maybe kinda look cool and that's about it. They really offer no big decrease in IAT's or increase in power.

Appreciate 0
      10-16-2017, 07:37 AM   #17
aBMWfan
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaryTheLabelGuy View Post
I agree. I'm not a HUGE fan of the long-run intakes. I think they sound good and maybe kinda look cool and that's about it. They really offer no big decrease in IAT's or increase in power.
Plus the filters are more exposed sitting behind the kidney grilles!
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2017, 07:54 AM   #18
F80Paul
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 ZCP

Keep in mind the Maximum PSI or RK tunes (which I have) intakes don't add any length over stock, as the stock intakes pull air from the same location just the filters are under the hood. I'd personally take these or stock (with k&n) over intakes that pull air from the engine compartment. I don't think the 1ft shorter run will compensate for the air temp difference. I also don't think any quantifiable flow restriction will show up between any of these intake options with stock turbos. The biggest flow restrictions are the inlet tubes and stock comp/turbine wheel sizes.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2017, 08:06 AM   #19
aBMWfan
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F80Paul View Post
Keep in mind the Maximum PSI or RK tunes (which I have) intakes don't add any length over stock, as the stock intakes pull air from the same location just the filters are under the hood. I'd personally take these or stock (with k&n) over intakes that pull air from the engine compartment. I don't think the 1ft shorter run will compensate for the air temp difference. I also don't think any quantifiable flow restriction will show up between any of these intake options with stock turbos. The biggest flow restrictions are the inlet tubes and stock comp/turbine wheel sizes.
Looks like there is at least a few inches added before both MAF sensors on RK Tunes etc. so I'm 100% sure there is added length over stock.

I don't think you've tried high Flow filters on stock intakes. I have and it's a waste, even the BMC ones

Some engine bay variants, Eventuri's, are really smooth and add lots of sound, no issues with heatsoak due to uniqie filter design. These are same length as stock intakes!
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2017, 08:21 AM   #20
CaryTheLabelGuy
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I understand your line of thinking, but honestly, I've seen TONS of datalogs from lots of different cars and those front-mount intakes don't seem to really help IAT(as measured on the S55) at all really. From my experience, "cold air intakes" don't really do very much in turbocharged applications.

By the time the intake air is compressed by the compressor and enters the charge pipes, the air is heated up considerably and by the time the air reaches the air-to-water intercooler, there is little-to-no difference in charge air temps, between the two types of intakes, as the charge air exits the air-to-water intercooler (which is VERY efficient, BTW).

Another factor that needs to be considered is how much these front-mount intakes restrict airflow to the front heat-exchanger and radiator. Trust me, they are creating some sort of restriction. Now, if it matters or not really, I don't know.

You're 100% correct that the biggest restrictions on the intake system is the inlet tubes and obviously the compressor itself. On the exhaust side, the turbine housing/wheel is a big source of back-pressure, even with these aftermarket turbos - the design only allows for so much improvement over stock.

Appreciate 0
      10-16-2017, 08:33 AM   #21
F80Paul
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaryTheLabelGuy View Post
I understand your line of thinking, but honestly, I've seen TONS of datalogs from lots of different cars and those front-mount intakes don't seem to really help IAT(as measured on the S55) at all really. From my experience, "cold air intakes" don't really do very much in turbocharged applications.

By the time the intake air is compressed by the compressor and enters the charge pipes, the air is heated up considerably and by the time the air reaches the air-to-water intercooler, there is little-to-no difference in charge air temps, between the two types of intakes, as the charge air exits the air-to-water intercooler (which is VERY efficient, BTW).

Another factor that needs to be considered is how much these front-mount intakes restrict airflow to the front heat-exchanger and radiator. Trust me, they are creating some sort of restriction. Now, if it matters or not really, I don't know.

You're 100% correct that the biggest restrictions on the intake system is the inlet tubes and obviously the compressor itself. On the exhaust side, the turbine housing/wheel is a big source of back-pressure, even with these aftermarket turbos - the design only allows for so much improvement over stock.
Do you mean they don't help vs stock? Because I agree with that, they pull air from the same place as stock. Stock is a front mount intake. It's the intakes such as BMS that pull air from the engine compartment that I'd be concerned about IAT's in around town driving situations.
Attached Images

Last edited by F80Paul; 10-16-2017 at 08:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2017, 08:45 AM   #22
CaryTheLabelGuy
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Do you mean they don't help vs stock? Because I agree with that, they pull air from the same place as stock. It's the intakes such as BMS that pull air from the engine compartment that I'd be concerned about IAT's in around town driving situations.
I have measured the stock intakes vs the BMS intakes (which I personally own) and I've seen zero difference in IATs between the two. I wouldn't run the BMS intakes if my testing had gone differently.

Appreciate 0