EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

10-16-2017, 08:53 AM   #23
F80Paul
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaryTheLabelGuy View Post
I have measured the stock intakes vs the BMS intakes (which I personally own) and I've seen zero difference in IATs between the two. I wouldn't run the BMS intakes if my testing had gone differently.
Fair enough, I haven't tested the BMS. My original point was about the discussion in this thread about the front mount intakes causing issues vs. stock when in fact stock is also a front mount so the difference in length should not be an issue.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2017, 09:06 AM   #24
F80Paul
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenM4Dominate View Post
Looks like there is at least a few inches added before both MAF sensors on RK Tunes etc. so I'm 100% sure there is added length over stock.

I don't think you've tried high Flow filters on stock intakes. I have and it's a waste, even the BMC ones

Some engine bay variants, Eventuri's, are really smooth and add lots of sound, no issues with heatsoak due to uniqie filter design. These are same length as stock intakes!
If anything, RK Tunes reduces overall length by a few inches compared to stock because of the more direct routing to the front since it doesn't have to go through the filter box.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-16-2017, 09:52 AM   #25
aBMWfan
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08' M3/'15 M4/ '06 M3/ '09 M3/

Quote:
Originally Posted by F80Paul View Post
If anything, RK Tunes reduces overall length by a few inches compared to stock because of the more direct routing to the front since it doesn't have to go through the filter box.
I don't count that extension as part of the intake because it's before the air filter.

Notice the increased length of the RK tunes (air filter to MAF sensor)
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2017, 10:16 AM   #26
Mike@N54Tuning.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i, 2015 M3

Quote:
+1 JB4's are still detectable even if you remove it.

Where I disagree tho is they won't detect the JB4 unless you need warranty work on the engine, and BMW N/A sends a rep to open up your DME. This is assuming you already remove it before service

Flash tunes are detectable without removing the DME, BMW can remotely notice flash tune installed. And the DME could show signs of tampering
Pay for any damage you cause to your car while tuning, but the JB4 itself is not detectable once removed, which has been well proven over the years. The most people can come up with is maybe if a BMW engineer looked at freeze frame engine data he could infer the car was tuned. But I've never heard of any of my customers ever having such an issue. Flashing on the other hand, we know where that stands, as you are writing to the DME directly.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2017, 10:26 AM   #27
F80Paul
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I don't count that extension as part of the intake because it's before the air filter.

Notice the increased length of the RK tunes (air filter to MAF sensor)
You have to count the length of ALL the piping when you are calculating the losses from the piping. The losses from the filter types as well as turbulence and friction losses from bends and the filter box are a separate issue as well.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2017, 10:39 AM   #28
aBMWfan
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You have to count the length of ALL the piping when you are calculating the losses from the piping. The losses from the filter types as well as turbulence and friction losses from bends and the filter box are a separate issue as well.
So you're saying RK Tunes and BMS intakes have same length (since BMS retains the stock extension)?
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2017, 12:05 PM   #29
F80Paul
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
So you're saying RK Tunes and BMS intakes have same length (since BMS retains the stock extension)?
No, the BMS intake doesn't seal to the stock extension tube so it's not restricted by it. As far as airflow goes I'd consider the BMS the least restrictive option, and Cary says the IAT's are unaffected so that's a bonus.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2017, 12:11 PM   #30
aBMWfan
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
No, the BMS intake doesn't seal to the stock extension tube so it's not restricted by it. As far as airflow goes I'd consider the BMS the least restrictive option, and Cary says the IAT's are unaffected so that's a bonus.
Hmmm I see. Well I learned something new today!
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2017, 12:30 PM   #31
CaryTheLabelGuy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 ZCP

Quote:
Yeah, like Paul is saying, the BMS intakes keep the bottom half of the intake box and inlet from behind the kidney grills, but this isn't sealed. The BMS intakes just sit in the top-half of the stock intake boxes. Air from the front of the car is still routed up and directly into the BMS intakes, however, they just aren't sealed and therefore not a part of the intake tract directly.

IG and Twitter: @CaryTheLabelGuy
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2017, 10:40 PM   #32
Mjaspreet
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4

Are there any dynos to compare front mount intakes to a intake like bms
Appreciate 0