GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

06-06-2016, 07:41 PM   #1
racsos
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw m3

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
So I have had the AP BBK on for a weekend at the track and 2 weeks of street driving. Here is my review:

I went to the track with rs29's and stock brakes and felt Like I did pretty well with this set up. Unfortunately I ate up the entire front pads in one weekend. My Rotors looked like they were toast and my calipers were now army green. I decided to get a BBK. Since I would be doing about 6 track
days a year, I decided to get a street and track set up.

I went with the AP 370mm. The guys over at Zima advised that the 370mm would be enough and that it would help with rotational mass. I was a bit skeptical at first.

Once the brake kit was installed I felt a slight difference in the steering wheel. Its hard to explain, but it was easier to change directions with it and i could feel more of the road. I do not want to say that this is all because of the brakes, but a combination of the IND monoball and the JRZ suspension. However, once the brakes were installed there was a noticeable difference to me. Unfortunately We did not weigh the components as we did the install late on a friday night before the bmw CCA Track weekend. I really wish we had more time to have weighed them, but I definitely think they are lighter.

The Brake Kit came with a set of street pads and I ordered a set of race pads for the track. It came with all the hardware to mount including stainless steel lines. On the street the car has more bite than stock and does not make any noise at all. Quiet as a mouse. I was really surprised how little dust the street pads produce.

On track I used them for an entire weekend and they performed extremely well. I never felt any fade at all. I felt like I needed to have more confidence with braking later than I usually did. I was braking a cone and a half later then I normally would, but at the end of the braking zone I could tell the brakes had more in them. The Pads that we ordered for the event were the ds3000. Unfortunately I went thru the entire front pads at the track. The first day I did about 6 x 20-25 minute sessions and the last day I did about 7 x 20-25 minute sessions. The brakes never faded, but I did feel the tires start getting greasy toward the 15-25 minute marks. I was on bridgestone re71r's and think its time I move to R comps to take better advantage of the improved braking.

The only downside to the brakes were that I went thru the front pads in a weekend again. I was using Euro Mdm and not sure if this adds to eating away of the front pads. I am starting to think that this might be an issue of the weight of the car and the speed that the car generates. I was definitely pushing the car hard through the entire event. I do have brake cooling ducts, but since the car is so low they were ripped off prior to the event. The rear pads looked fine. Next track event I am going to make sure to add the ducts, get an endurance pad, and turn off Euro MDM. I will report back after my next event.

Overall I think the AP brakes are a pretty good upgrade to the stock system. You can get away with the stock system for awhile, but if you track enough you will need to upgrade. It was awesome to put the street pads on the car and not worry about cleaning the rotors or having any brake judder. It also made me appreciate the car so much more. I am still amazed that this platform performs so well on the track, and then I can drive it home without skipping a beat!

Here are some pics. If you have any questions do not hesitate to ask!
Attached Images

Last edited by racsos; 06-06-2016 at 08:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2016, 09:13 AM   #2
stranger
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

great review

Im also on the lookout for a bbk now

these look great

interested to hear your views on the brake cooling ducts when you get them re installed with your new bbk, did you run them on your stock brakes?
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2016, 10:14 AM   #3
racsos
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: bmw m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by stranger View Post
great review

Im also on the lookout for a bbk now

these look great

interested to hear your views on the brake cooling ducts when you get them re installed with your new bbk, did you run them on your stock brakes?
I did not I am going to the track again June 25 and 26th. I will report back after that.
Appreciate 0