proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3/M4 versus...

Closed Thread

01-16-2017, 08:25 PM   #177
OhioRiderAaron
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkhm3 View Post
nice pics!

good luck but the fronts will be an issue.

car and driver drove the TTRS which has 59% of the weight in the front on track in Spain, and "even after only three laps, the temperature of the front tires had risen nearly 50 degrees higher than the rears."

I'm not sure what the s3 is like does it have temp gauges for the tires?
F80 has those temp gauges as well.....and...they mean absolutely nothing. They're not actual tire temperature, so why even bother? (confirmed at track event).
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2017, 08:34 PM   #178
OhioRiderAaron
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanescent03 View Post
depends on what you're looking for. going from M3 to a base 1SS (with mag ride and dual mode exhaust, crappy cloth) I missed the luxury appointments of the M3 and the comfort on a day-to-day basis in regards to space, climbing in & out, and less claustrophobic feel. i went SS to Audi S3 for more luxury and some trackability because i saw a scandanavian ex-rally cross champ who was driving an S3 at a laguna and just killing it.. figured it'd be a suitable M3 replacement for a little less coin. hated the S3 on the track. shredded a tire in one day at thunderhill (partially my fault, but still, it understeered like crazy on the stock tires and was very boring overall). i decided "okay i want something REALLY fun that way i'll keep it and my wife will not be so pissed ... I've always really wanted a Porsche, that should cure my obvious disease". test drove a new, leftover 2016 Cayman GTS (PDK), 2017 718S and 2014 C2S (PDK) back to back to back. the 718S was the most fun to me because of the torque so i got that and meant to get rid of the S3, but didn't feel like losing 2 years worth of payments on it just to get rid of it, so i decided to hold onto it. So at that point i had a Yukon Denali for trips and most trips with the kids, the S3 for short trips with the kids and some commuting for me, and the 718S as my overly expensive commuter and occasional track car. oops. after a month or two I realized my wife wasn't in love with it, and I wasn't really lusting after it as i thought i would... and as soon as i realize that, i usually cut 'er loose. lol. i went and lost my @$$ on the Porsche getting back into the 1LE but i think i have a better balanced garage now.

To recap:
M3 - should've kept it, honestly. great all-rounder but i just HAD to see what all the buzz was about with the new Camaro

1SS - awful interior, great suspension so not abusive day-to-day but not quite a relaxed drive in traffic and through a series of stop signs/stop lights.

S3 - excellent daily driver that's rather fast with a tune, nicely laid out and attractive interior, above 6/10s is where i start to lose interest

718S - great car inside and out, rough on 20" wheels and passive suspension, super low for my tall frame to climb in and out of, the kids liked playing with the convertible top and climbing in and out of the trunk AND frunk lol (kids are 2 and 4... they demonstrated the "emergency open" glow in the dark latch inside each compartment and had fun with that), no back seat for even a cramped family drive.

1LE - most aggressive car, stiff (can get a wheel up going into driveway, short/steep approach), best seats of any car I've had listed, save the headrests on the audi, horizontal adjustment is nice, exhaust/engine is a beast and nicely adjustable, best suspension of any listed especially due to wide range of adjustability, eLSD, 285/305 sticky tires stock, HUD stock, PDR (video recording with data overlay) stock, manual trans = happy wife = happy life, $45k car (plus a lot for upside 718s.. embarrassing but worth it). back seat so the kids can go along for a cramped, short-medium length drive, rare but nice in a pinch and we HAVE done it. crazy value for the performance and standard features.

probably more info than you were looking for but thought i'd throw it out there! they've all been good cars... i went through a bit of a car-swapping addiction but hopefully I've broken that habit for at least 12-18mo. the last 8 months have been a little ridiculous, but glad my wife is still with me

in the end, it all depends on what you're looking for. i was looking for cars to do things they were clearly not designed to do... i still think the M3 is the best car to suit my multiple desires, but having two cars with different personalities/abilities might be a better way to go.
Thanks for the response evanescent. Not more information than I was looking forward and I appreciate writing it, unfortunately it's about how I feel about each of those cars tho lol. 1LE and C7 GS are most likely replacement vehicles as of now. Just a great bargain, esp. given the available discounts. I might even do C7 GS + Chevy Bolt or something . Overall, it's hard to beat the package the M3 offers. We're all hard on it, but that's because it raises the bar so high (good in many aspects). When you start tracking the 1LE let us know. I'm interested to hear how it does.

Aaron
Appreciate 1
      01-17-2017, 10:37 PM   #179
georgere
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 BSM

I understand where OP is coming from. I started feeling this wasn't the car after a month or so.
It took me a while to realize what I hated was DCT (I love manuals but went for DCT in my M3), and turbo engine (the thing is fast but there is so much torque down the RPM that you rarely get to use the range in day to day).
So I tried to analyze my options and came up with an idea that being the turbo car it is meant to be driven in a different way (vs NA engines cars). I eventually found my piece with the car and generally happy. The power, handling, the looks, the breaks all are great in this car. If you learn how to use this 'tool' you will like it.
Despite all above though I do feel that F8x is missing the boat. E46 and E90 generation M3s were better Ms. my expectations was that f80 would be continuation of e90 but it isn't. My plan was to drive m3 for a few years and then go to standard BMW/Audi/MB cars. But now that M3 is kind of not meting my expectation of a low level super car, I will probably look into Porsche down the road, or next gen M3 if there something to see....
      01-18-2017, 02:37 AM   #180
evanescent03
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: '24 M3 CS; '22 GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRiderAaron View Post
1LE and C7 GS are most likely replacement vehicles as of now. Just a great bargain, esp. given the available discounts. I might even do C7 GS + Chevy Bolt or something . Overall, it's hard to beat the package the M3 offers. We're all hard on it, but that's because it raises the bar so high (good in many aspects). When you start tracking the 1LE let us know. I'm interested to hear how it does.

Aaron
the GS looks so menacing in person (and photos). and wow, talk about hanging with some super fast cars on the street. just don't red-light race the 991.2 guys hehe. the 1LE is great and I appreciate the utility it offers over the GS otherwise I may have tried to convince the wife of that one (probably wouldn't have worked this time..)

enjoy the car and i'll definitely post some videos of my next track day... about to get buried in my residency program though so it'll probably be a good 6-8 months haha!

Appreciate 0
      01-21-2017, 02:59 PM   #181
Warranty P
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F83

Quote:
Originally Posted by 996ttelise View Post
Pretty much regretted buying this 17 M3 since day one which was only December 23. I had hoped it would somehow grow on me and actually tried to trade it yesterday for a 911.

Lol, BMW dealer in NC where 911 is I want offered me $62,000 for my 17 competition package, executive, full leather, LED, driver assist and etc. with 421 miles on it.

I am pretty much keeping the RPMs below 5k to 55k very occasionally. Do these things loosen up and get more exciting in the higher revs even though so torquey down low?

I was willing to give up some styling for a bigger back seat, but the performance is not even blowing me away. Am I missing something? Do these things getting better with age?
M3 isn't for everyone, it looks like it's too much Power for you. You should look at new Miata or BRZ to get that excitement you're looking for.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2017, 04:49 PM   #182
996ttelise
Captain
Rep
Drives: 458, GTS, Performante

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warranty P View Post
M3 isn't for everyone, it looks like it's too much Power for you. You should look at new Miata or BRZ to get that excitement you're looking for.
Picked it up today from break in service and it seems down on power. Although the gadgetry is perhaps bunk, I flipped over to the hp display thingy and it is peaking at 420 hp line at red line. I was hitting well above that line before the break in service at lower rpms.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2017, 05:10 PM   #183
AW BMW
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 15 SS2 F80/18 AVUS BLUE F80

Quote:
Picked it up today from break in service and it seems down on power. Although the gadgetry is perhaps bunk, I flipped over to the hp display thingy and it is peaking at 420 hp line at red line. I was hitting well above that line before the break in service at lower rpms.
That is strange, I remember way back then when I had my 1200 mile service performed. Leaving the dealership and once the car was up to temp, I decided to ring it out some and the car felt healthy and strong with that rush of power. So this comment by you seems not to equal my experience when I had that break in service, I wonder if they performed a software update?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2017, 05:22 PM   #184
996ttelise
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AW BMW View Post
That is strange, I remember way back then when I had my 1200 mile service performed. Leaving the dealership and once the car was up to temp, I decided to ring it out some and the car felt healthy and strong with that rush of power. So this comment by you seems not to equal my experience when I had that break in service, I wonder if they performed a software update?
Were they supposed to?
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2017, 11:06 PM   #185
AW BMW
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 15 SS2 F80/18 AVUS BLUE F80

Quote:
Were they supposed to?
I don't think so, but just wondering if they did.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2017, 12:49 AM   #186
996ttelise
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I don't think so, but just wondering if they did.
Took it out on some back roads this evening and it was running like a bat out of hell. That stupid little gauge thingy was hitting 460ish hp. What is that connected to? ROMs where power should be? Interesting that is was registering 30 or so lower today when car felt somewhat anemic.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2017, 09:53 PM   #187
HDDMark
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 SS F80

Quote:
Took it out on some back roads this evening and it was running like a bat out of hell. That stupid little gauge thingy was hitting 460ish hp. What is that connected to? ROMs where power should be? Interesting that is was registering 30 or so lower today when car felt somewhat anemic.
Wondering if it could have been a throttle adaptation issue after an update?
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2017, 11:12 PM   #188
996ttelise
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDDMark View Post
Wondering if it could have been a throttle adaptation issue after an update?
??? It is pulling nice now. Got chased down by an off duty cop today who promptly told me to take my car back because I was going to kill myself . . . drama queen.

How does this hp thingy work? Does it pull of boost, because it definitely is not pulling of rpms? Hitting about 460 or so level and car feels much stronger than early yesterday when it would only peg 420.

Had the dreaded rock in break guard, but finally got it out . . .
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2017, 11:57 PM   #189
AiredaleTraveler
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M3

M3 v. 911

Get rid of the M3 and get the 911 that you seem to be craving. Cards on the table - I'm a guy who ordered/bought a 2007 M Roadster and sold it after 9 months to get the car that I really wanted - a 911. I currently own a 2015 911 GTS (Cabriolet/Manual). That's my ideal car - in every way. I just bought a 2017 M3 (Competition Package; Performance Package; Manual) as a fun, daily commuter. I am bored with 5-series sedans and E/S Class Mercedes sedans. This M3 will add some excitement to my daily drive to work (I live in the SoCal desert - so, driving to work is a joy - no traffic). When my 911 is in sport + mode, I feel in complete control of the car - even on hairpin mountain curves. There is no M3 mode combination that makes me feel as connected/safe. I could go on and on - but you already received a ton of solid advice from other guys on this site. My advice - never settle; life is too short to drive something that you don't love; order the 911 that you want and sell/trade the M3. The M3 is a solid choice - but there is nothing like the 911.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2017, 01:59 AM   #190
996ttelise
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AiredaleTraveler View Post
Get rid of the M3 and get the 911 that you seem to be craving. Cards on the table - I'm a guy who ordered/bought a 2007 M Roadster and sold it after 9 months to get the car that I really wanted - a 911. I currently own a 2015 911 GTS (Cabriolet/Manual). That's my ideal car - in every way. I just bought a 2017 M3 (Competition Package; Performance Package; Manual) as a fun, daily commuter. I am bored with 5-series sedans and E/S Class Mercedes sedans. This M3 will add some excitement to my daily drive to work (I live in the SoCal desert - so, driving to work is a joy - no traffic). When my 911 is in sport + mode, I feel in complete control of the car - even on hairpin mountain curves. There is no M3 mode combination that makes me feel as connected/safe. I could go on and on - but you already received a ton of solid advice from other guys on this site. My advice - never settle; life is too short to drive something that you don't love; order the 911 that you want and sell/trade the M3. The M3 is a solid choice - but there is nothing like the 911.
Heck yeah man. Wifey let me keep the M3 and pick up a 2012 C4S cab . . . All is well and the M3 has really grown on me.
Appreciate 0
      01-25-2017, 11:24 AM   #191
Carl L
Major
Rep
Drives: '15 M3

Quote:
Heck yeah man. Wifey let me keep the M3 and pick up a 2012 C4S cab . . . All is well and the M3 has really grown on me.
Good on her. That's a great pairing.

As a former GT3 owner I'm in agreement that the analogue feel of a 911 is hard to beat for deriving joy...but as sedans go I really think the M3 is (still) in a league of it's own. Glad it's won you over.
Appreciate 1
      02-15-2017, 11:02 PM   #192
maxdobe
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
Oh crap, what is "break in service"? My dealer advised of no such thing on my new 2017 now with 2,700 miles on it.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2017, 11:09 PM   #193
SakhirM4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 SO M4/'20 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW Z4 M40i  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [8.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxdobe View Post
Oh crap, what is "break in service"? My dealer advised of no such thing on my new 2017 now with 2,700 miles on it.
1200 mile service required!!
Tejas Chapter, BMW CCA, mem #23915, President 27 years, www.tejaschapter.org
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2017, 12:11 AM   #194
brianeck
Part Time Firetruck Crash Barrier
Rep
Drives: 2022 M340ix Mineral Grey

Wanting to get rid of a car before you've even gone WOT or revved it out. . . Jeez.

m340ix Mineral Grey/Tacora Red
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2017, 08:59 AM   #195
996ttelise
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by brianeck View Post
Wanting to get rid of a car before you've even gone WOT or revved it out. . . Jeez.
WOT had zero to do with it. I have 3 two sweaters in the garage and a cup car in storage if I really want to go fast. The M3 is the slowest car I own and was purchased for a back seat, not WOT. That said, I really, really like having a four door option and the back seat is roomier than wife's Macan S. The car has grown on me.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2017, 01:47 AM   #196
maxd23
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mk 7.5 GTI Audi R8

Quote:
Originally Posted by kepler View Post
Says the person who chose a 2017 F80 M3 over a 911. Okey dokey. Anyway, as I have owned numerous 911s, I can assure you they have gone downhill since the 997 generation, which ended in 2012. The 991.1 had a PDK-rigged seven-speed manual transmission, which was horrible compared to the Getrag 6MT in the M3 and is still the one fitted to the car today. And now the 991.2 has a small turbocharged engine. Not to mention the fact that they have gotten huge. Sadly, today's 911 is nothing like the 911s that made the car iconic. With all of this said, I certainly agree with you that OP should have test driven the car first!
Ok, I'm not a Porsche expert, but to the best of my knowledge the 997 generation ended in 2008 and the 991.1 started in 2009.
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2017, 05:14 AM   #197
996ttelise
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxd23 View Post
Ok, I'm not a Porsche expert, but to the best of my knowledge the 997 generation ended in 2008 and the 991.1 started in 2009.
997.2 started in 09 and end mid way through 2012.
Appreciate 1
      02-20-2017, 02:12 PM   #198
maxd23
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mk 7.5 GTI Audi R8

Quote:
997.2 started in 09 and end mid way through 2012.
I stand corrected. Thanks. Glad I prefaced my post!
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread