Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls

01-14-2017, 06:23 PM   #1
katit
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80

1200 service - any way to check

I know, I may be paranoid Background: I always did/do my own maintenance but this one was at a dealer because it's free and it's a new car.

Here is the thing. I did 1200 service at a dealer, I was there waiting while they complete it. They did diff oil change and engine oil change.

SA came out couple times keeping me updated on a progress like "tech just finished changing diff oil, now they do engine oil.."

Couple of weeks ago I had my car on a lift (in garage) to put winter tires on. So I did inspect underneath of the car.

1. There was oil staining around oil drain plug, pretty normal after "shop oil change". I can see tool marks on bolt, most likely they just wiped around with shop towel or something (when I do oil change I usually clean with brake cleaner so it's all dry and doesn't attract dust). Any way, I have no doubt they changed oil. Or at least put tool marks on bolt and put oil around it

2. But there was NOTHING on differential. There is drain bolt and fill bolt. OK. Maybe they sucked oil out from a top? OK, but this bolt on top looks brand new. No hex socket marks, no oil around. Nothing. Looks like brand new aluminum part.

So, I'm concerned if diff oil change was done in fact. Any way to check? I'm seriously thinking about changing it myself at 5k (together with gearbox and engine oil) just for piece of mind..
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2017, 03:32 PM   #2
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

Both bolts on the diff should look new as they have to be replaced if removed.

Tech is probably used to not cleaning the oil area but cleaned the diff properly.
Or they had a proper tech do the diff while a low down one did the oil and didnt clean the area properly
      01-25-2017, 11:39 AM   #3
Cajun1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4!

I experienced a somewhat similar situation after my 1,200 visit in that the differential fluid or parts service was not called out on the paperwork. The SA promised me it was done and claimed they had used bulk lubricants and don't itemize those. I crawled under the car and found very minute traces of fluid around both the oil plug and diff plug but I still might do a precautionary change.
Appreciate 0