R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

12-07-2016, 06:19 AM   #287
///MFlight81
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82

Ok I don't understand this valve ideas. Correct me if iam wrong but if you want your valves to open up just put in the M1 or M2 mode right? Why buy an after market valves. What's the idea behind this?
      12-07-2016, 11:55 PM   #288
climax_e92
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MFlight81 View Post
Ok I don't understand this valve ideas. Correct me if iam wrong but if you want your valves to open up just put in the M1 or M2 mode right? Why buy an after market valves. What's the idea behind this?
Oem operation causes the valves to open and close automatically depending on throttle input even when on sport mode. I like the valve controller because it actually leaves the valves fully open or fully close at all times. Even my Frequency intelligent full exhaust is quiet at times when the valves are not disconnected or without the valve controller.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2016, 11:57 PM   #289
MFNATIK
Blocked from G80/G82 for having an opinion
United_States
Rep
Drives: Trek Domane

I can tell you right now that after removing the VSC-2, my car sounds a lot less aggressive even in Sport and Sport+. Can't wait to reinstall this back on my ZCP
Appreciate 1
domino_z1239.50
      12-08-2016, 03:26 AM   #290
///MFlight81
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2015 F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by climax_e92 View Post
Quote:
Oem operation causes the valves to open and close automatically depending on throttle input even when on sport mode. I like the valve controller because it actually leaves the valves fully open or fully close at all times. Even my Frequency intelligent full exhaust is quiet at times when the valves are not disconnected or without the valve controller.
Ah ok I didn't know that the valves closed in sport or sport+ mode. Thanks for the information. So with the valve controller i can leave my valves open at all times, even when not in full throttle?
      12-08-2016, 11:28 PM   #291
idocm4
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: MG F82

Quote:
Ah ok I didn't know that the valves closed in sport or sport+ mode. Thanks for the information. So with the valve controller i can leave my valves open at all times, even when not in full throttle?
Yes. You can have the valves open at all times. My controller is set to keep the valves open until I choose to close them especially upon cold start and leaving my neighborhood in the morning.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2016, 11:32 PM   #292
domino_z
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F-Pace SVR

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFNATIK View Post
I can tell you right now that after removing the VSC-2, my car sounds a lot less aggressive even in Sport and Sport+. Can't wait to reinstall this back on my ZCP
the zcp sounds great revving up on idle but i just can't get the same sound to replicate while driving - maybe bmw will flash something on first service, but i doubt it

also the zcp seems to start with valves open - ie; the valves are physically open when the car is off

cg controller on the way, but i'm going to pull the plugs on the valves tonight and test it out
Appreciate 1
MFNATIK3498.00
      12-09-2016, 11:01 AM   #293
MFNATIK
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by domino_z View Post
the zcp sounds great revving up on idle but i just can't get the same sound to replicate while driving - maybe bmw will flash something on first service, but i doubt it

also the zcp seems to start with valves open - ie; the valves are physically open when the car is off

cg controller on the way, but i'm going to pull the plugs on the valves tonight and test it out
So maybe they programmed it to stay open on startup for the nice sounds and then default back to closing while cruising to eliminate drone? I think thats where the VSC-2 is so great. Lets you just keep it open all the time and close it if you need a little peace and quiet.
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2016, 04:52 AM   #294
domino_z
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

pulled the plugs on the valves, still doesn't have the same raspy sound on rev up while driving - all it did was make it noisier on cruise

think it's time to just bite the bullet and do the mpe
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2016, 02:23 AM   #295
MFNATIK
United_States
Rep

Quote:
pulled the plugs on the valves, still doesn't have the same raspy sound on rev up while driving - all it did was make it noisier on cruise

think it's time to just bite the bullet and do the mpe
Now that I have my ZCP and reinstalled my VSC-2, I can tell you that the ZCP starts up with the valves partially open to get the "roar" and then it closes. It sounds better than the non-ZCP exhaust but it is of course muted. Great when you don't want to disturb your neighbors or family early in the morning or late at night.

That being said, the VSC-2 default of valves open starts up MUCH louder than even the ZCP "roar". I mean it barks and rumbles when its cold. WAAAAY sportier sound than stock default settings. Same with driving around with the valves open. Much louder than my 2016 Civic M3. Definitely would not want to spend 5k on the MPE at this point, or any exhaust. This is more than plenty loud and sporty for me.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2016, 07:09 PM   #296
domino_z
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFNATIK View Post
Now that I have my ZCP and reinstalled my VSC-2, I can tell you that the ZCP starts up with the valves partially open to get the "roar" and then it closes. It sounds better than the non-ZCP exhaust but it is of course muted. Great when you don't want to disturb your neighbors or family early in the morning or late at night.

That being said, the VSC-2 default of valves open starts up MUCH louder than even the ZCP "roar". I mean it barks and rumbles when its cold. WAAAAY sportier sound than stock default settings. Same with driving around with the valves open. Much louder than my 2016 Civic M3. Definitely would not want to spend 5k on the MPE at this point, or any exhaust. This is more than plenty loud and sporty for me.

my issue isn't so much volume but the actual sound itself

stock zcp exhaust even with valves open is still the same monotone exhaust note regardless of rpm, there is absolutely zero theatre or reason to rev the engine out. i intially thought the asd was masking the real exhaust note, but after pulling the valves i realise it's a bit of both

the mpe from what ive heard online, and revving up irl, should make driving the car a lot more fun at sane speeds

people under estimate how much a good sounding exhaust elevates the driving experience at normal every day speeds - granted i am somewhat screwed now having owned my f-type v8 for 12 months and gotten used to how wild that sounds when heading out for milk and cookies
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2016, 08:09 PM   #297
MFNATIK
United_States
Rep

Quote:
my issue isn't so much volume but the actual sound itself

stock zcp exhaust even with valves open is still the same monotone exhaust note regardless of rpm, there is absolutely zero theatre or reason to rev the engine out. i intially thought the asd was masking the real exhaust note, but after pulling the valves i realise it's a bit of both

the mpe from what ive heard online, and revving up irl, should make driving the car a lot more fun at sane speeds

people under estimate how much a good sounding exhaust elevates the driving experience at normal every day speeds - granted i am somewhat screwed now having owned my f-type v8 for 12 months and gotten used to how wild that sounds when heading out for milk and cookies
I think you're looking for a more exotic sound which only a NA engine can produce. All these TT motors can't compare in that dept. But I've adjusted my expectations and freely take the extra torque and better gas mileage. I had the V10 M5 and although it sounded like an F1 car with my Corsa exhaust with secondary cat delete, the lack of low end grunt and 9mpgs got tiresome after a while. Hopefully the MPE suits your needs.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2016, 05:36 PM   #298
domino_z
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

order number #566 also going to Australia

have not received tracking number, and concerned you've over valued my item as well

edit! item arrived in post

Last edited by domino_z; 12-19-2016 at 06:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2017, 07:14 PM   #299
geneatals
Ninja
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 530e

their site says the controller is out of stock and looks like their vendor thread is closed....

anyone got any news about how to order one?
      01-15-2017, 11:03 PM   #300
Mavs1balla
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by geneatals View Post
their site says the controller is out of stock and looks like their vendor thread is closed....

anyone got any news about how to order one?
Ditto
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2017, 12:41 AM   #301
MFNATIK
United_States
Rep

There are two left on eBay. First one is $180 and the 2nd is $250. Early bird gets the deal haha
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2017, 07:32 AM   #302
f80er
Banned
Rep
Drives: An M3

Has anyone had theirs stop working? It seems like mine shit the bed a couple days after I installed an MPE.
Appreciate 0
      01-17-2017, 09:36 AM   #303
sokeen
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 2018 M4

Once installed.. never turning back
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2017, 07:05 PM   #304
FrenchBoy
Lieutenant Colonel
France
Rep
Drives: '16 F80 M3

This may have been asked before, but are they any negative of have the valves open all the time? I am assuming, the main benefit is sound.

Current: 2016 F80 M3 6-Speed | SO | AB XT1 | ZCP | M Performance Suspension | GC Camber Plates
Previous: 2009 E90 M3
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2017, 10:51 AM   #305
NorCal f80
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3

just received mine and im loving it .

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrenchBoy View Post
This may have been asked before, but are they any negative of have the valves open all the time? I am assuming, the main benefit is sound.
no I would think opposite actually . when closed the flap would always be acting as a barrier . but then again im over thinking it its fine either way .
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2017, 01:02 PM   #306
brad-cam
Private
Rep
Drives: F30 328i, E46 M3, F12 640, F80

Has anyone had one these be DOA ? I just received one from an Ebay seller (new in bag, never installed), looked perfect, installed it and it does nothing. The red lights on the remotes light up when the buttons are pushed, but the exhaust flaps don't move. In fact it also blocks the factory signals, so the flaps stay closed in sport mode too from what I can tell.

It might just be DOA, wondering if anyone else has had this happen or any tricks to the install that are not obvious before I try to return/replace/forget-it.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2017, 01:57 PM   #307
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
No real tricks, I just followed the instructions and mine has worked perfectly since installed. I programmed mine to work off one of the mirror buttons.

I also bought mine directly from CG so it carries the factory warranty if anything does go bad...
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2017, 02:24 PM   #308
MFNATIK
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad-cam View Post
Has anyone had one these be DOA ? I just received one from an Ebay seller (new in bag, never installed), looked perfect, installed it and it does nothing. The red lights on the remotes light up when the buttons are pushed, but the exhaust flaps don't move. In fact it also blocks the factory signals, so the flaps stay closed in sport mode too from what I can tell.

It might just be DOA, wondering if anyone else has had this happen or any tricks to the install that are not obvious before I try to return/replace/forget-it.
What's the default setup and what is the setup supposed to be when you activate it? These units were custom configured at time of sale so yours could have been defaulted to stock control on startup or closed. But activating it should have opened it up if that was the configuration.
Appreciate 0