Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning

01-02-2017, 09:36 AM   #45
proTUNING Freaks
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: powered by bootmod3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW M4 PWR View Post
2017 New Years resolution "should be's" ...that a vendor or someone out there designs and successfully tunes a single turbo setup for the S55 F8X's!

PTF. Can your BM3 be used to overcome the inherent tuning challenges going to a single turbo setup bring? Any insight on your software and more importantly, tuning experience on this, would be highly appreciated.. thanks.
We've been contacted by some vendors about working with them on this exactly. We've done it before with a Cobb AP on the N54 where we were limited in only the tables provided by a third party. With bootmod3 we're in full control which makes things easier to do when we need to dig up or create anything we might need to go forward.

In a nutshell, don't see this being a huge deal to do. On the hardware side the S55's single turbo exhaust manifold would be very similar to how the N54 single turbo manifolds are done with O2s placed pre-turbo for fuel control. You'd run the external wastegate with an external boost controller. On the software side we'd need to turn off a couple of codes and go from there.

Let's make 2017 the year of the S55 single turbos out there
Appreciate 6
      01-03-2017, 02:30 PM   #46
BMW M4 PWR
Major
Rep
Drives: Austin Yellow 6-spd manual M4

THAT's what I'm talking about!! Thanks for your input PTF, very much appreciated and what I myself suspected all along.

The tuning should be very straightforward for this and the hardware itself has essentially already been made with the N54's motive900 package. These S55's would be absolute monsters on the highway with this** Hope someone offers this soon!
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2017, 08:34 PM   #47
proTUNING Freaks
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: powered by bootmod3

Quote:
THAT's what I'm talking about!! Thanks for your input PTF, very much appreciated and what I myself suspected all along.

The tuning should be very straightforward for this and the hardware itself has essentially already been made with the N54's motive900 package. These S55's would be absolute monsters on the highway with this** Hope someone offers this soon!
Well...it won't really be a walk in the park as there are unknowns as with anything being done for the first time, but, not rocket science or brain surgery either

Appreciate 0
      01-03-2017, 09:08 PM   #48
BMW M4 PWR
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by proTUNING Freaks View Post
Well...it won't really be a walk in the park as there are unknowns as with anything being done for the first time, but, not rocket science or brain surgery either

"It's not exactly rocket science is it..." And definitely not "brain surgery!" Lmaooo !
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2017, 07:05 AM   #49
CaryTheLabelGuy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 ZCP

Quote:

Exactly the point I've been trying to make in this thread.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2017, 03:33 PM   #50
TPG Tuning
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 / F82 M4

Quote:
We've been contacted by some vendors about working with them on this exactly. We've done it before with a Cobb AP on the N54 where we were limited in only the tables provided by a third party. With bootmod3 we're in full control which makes things easier to do when we need to dig up or create anything we might need to go forward.

In a nutshell, don't see this being a huge deal to do. On the hardware side the S55's single turbo exhaust manifold would be very similar to how the N54 single turbo manifolds are done with O2s placed pre-turbo for fuel control. You'd run the external wastegate with an external boost controller. On the software side we'd need to turn off a couple of codes and go from there.

Let's make 2017 the year of the S55 single turbos out there
If you want to do the software side testing I already have a complete single turbo kit ready to go.

My fear is that not being able to flash the transmission will hinder from properly using the capability of the single turbo setup. Also it will kill the performance of the car from a stand still , as there is not way to get the rpms high enough to launch it in the powerband.
Appreciate 3
      01-04-2017, 10:08 PM   #51
BMW M4 PWR
Major
Rep

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPG Tuning View Post
If you want to do the software side testing I already have a complete single turbo kit ready to go.

My fear is that not being able to flash the transmission will hinder from properly using the capability of the single turbo setup. Also it will kill the performance of the car from a stand still , as there is not way to get the rpms high enough to launch it in the powerband.
Dont you guys have a 6-spd MT car as well where none of this would be an issue on?

ps: I love the fact you guys already had single turbo hardware lurking up your sleeves!!
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2017, 12:04 PM   #52
TPG Tuning
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Dont you guys have a 6-spd MT car as well where none of this would be an issue on?

ps: I love the fact you guys already had single turbo hardware lurking up your sleeves!!

We sold the manual trans car a few months back, we still have the DCT car however.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2017, 04:03 PM   #53
BMW M4 PWR
Major
Rep

Awe man.. gotcha* Lookin forward to YOU guys maybe being the first in the WORLD to run a single turbo setup on an S55 powered M4
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2017, 07:34 AM   #54
MNick
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 335is

Quote:
Originally Posted by A418t81 View Post
First you said they are totally different engines.
Finally, I'm intimately familiar with the JB4. I've been playing with turbo 6 cylinder BMWs since my first 335 (I've had 3) in 07. I was the first person with a juicebox other than Terry himself back in the day and helped a lot with it's development. Technically, the JB4 is not doing any kind of boost control at all on the S55 unless the EWG plugs are installed. It's simply biasing the MAP sensor data and relying on the ECU to do all of the work. This is in contrast with the the N54 JB4 in ISO mode for instance, which directly drives the WG solenoids itself, while routing the ECU signal voltages into resistors on the board to keep it happy while being completely out of the loop on actual boost control.
Very interesting, sounds like a better design for the S55 JB4 than N54... Does this obviates the possible incompatibility issues with the piggyback not communicating with the TCU?

Wagner EVO II C | Akarpovic SS Evolution Exhaust | Cp-e DPs | Koni | CV5F Forgestar et 32/38 on 255/35/19 & 275/35/19 | DW400 | Swift spec R | N20 sensor | PB Valve Cover | GCL | M3 control arms | JE forged piston kit | Carillo forged rods | Ported Head | F80 DMFW
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2017, 07:27 PM   #55
BMW M4 PWR
Major
Rep

Again, why the heck don't we have a "Motiv900" based single turbo set-up on a single S55 powered car yet!?!? This is an easy and YUUGE opportunity for a vendor (or even owner) to be a "worlds first", and break all the current records on this platform...
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2017, 10:04 AM   #56
BMW M4 PWR
Major
Rep

Have you seen the Movit900 single turbo setup's on the N54 motors? Our single turbo setup would be pretty much identical to that! Even though it's tight it's greatly worth the benefit in that you can hold the torque curve to redline* And shift everything to the right on the dyno/power curve. (Making it actually MUCH better for traction) This has already been done before on essentially the same powertrain and chassis bro (dimensionally*). The only reason it's not being done yet are the inherent "first timer teething issue" costs and the fact that people who'd want an easy 800+WHP with no factory warranty aren't enough to mitigate the cost of doing it at THIS point in the platforms life cycle. They're going to wait until these cars are old pieces of sh*t (with its successor already out) when "all of a sudden" a half a dozen 1000HP options become available... (same thing happened with the S54's which had WAY more challenges to tune than these new motors do) We already have the tuning & fuel solutions for it for gods sake

Having said that^^ I'd like to see how a new "twin" setup would be easier or allow better spacing than a single for big power. Sincerely I'd like to something on this by someone*
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2017, 03:39 PM   #57
BMW M4 PWR
Major
Rep

I don't see a twin manifold/ twin turbo design (that can support over 800whp) being realistic or easier/or cheaper than a single manifold single turbo design on an *inline 6*. As has been the case with EVERY powerful inline 6 turbo motor in history! (Including the N54's and N55's which the S55 was modeled after) But sure, show me a direct fit twin turbo design that can achieve 800+whp easier & cheaper than a traditional single (a pipe dream) then I'm ALL for it brotha!
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2017, 09:58 PM   #58
BMW M4 PWR
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3pedals View Post
I respectfully disagree with you my friend.
Keep an eye out for a dyno sheet of my car within the next 2-4 weeks. Yuge things in the work, its gonna be fantastic.
Believe me, I would LOVE to! Make me a believer brotha

...ps: I highly admire your taste in your build lol
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2017, 02:58 PM   #59
soobieajax325
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3, WRX, S1000RR

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1353936

Somebody buy it and let us know how it goes. It looks reeeeeally easy to put together.... You would "only" need a few other things
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2017, 06:00 PM   #60
BMW M4 PWR
Major
Rep

Wholly moly!? What the heck!
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2017, 09:20 PM   #61
Vectors2final
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 YMB/SS ZCP

Must have been a nightmare if they're backing out like that, no?
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2017, 10:27 AM   #62
TPG Tuning
Lieutenant
Rep

Nightmare? No

Simply moving on from this platform and no longer need the kit. We had issues with prior turbo companies that led us to focus more on a single turbo market. However we were then fortunate enough to build a great relationship with Pure Turbos and have since focused on utilizing their turbos on our car for testing and data. Our lease will be up in October to which we will buy it out then offer it up for sale as we are looking to expand into a new platform.

This is a great kit with huge potential for the right person. To my knowledge there is no other single turbo kit for sale for this car. With the right person behind the keyboard this could be a fantastic addition to your M3/M4. The kit already has drawn attention world wide and surely will make any owner happy. Regretfully we will not be continuing any R&D within the S55 platform.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2017, 10:32 AM   #63
TPG Tuning
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by soobieajax325 View Post
http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1353936

Somebody buy it and let us know how it goes. It looks reeeeeally easy to put together.... You would "only" need a few other things

No one said it would be " really easy " to do. A skilled shop should be the only one handling this project. As stated you will need some minor fabrication to make or adapt your catback to this exhaust. Aside from that you will need someone capable of tuning the car. BM3 already said they would be capable , it would merely take time.

If there is any other confusion let me know.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2017, 01:14 PM   #64
soobieajax325
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3, WRX, S1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPG Tuning View Post
No one said it would be " really easy " to do. A skilled shop should be the only one handling this project. As stated you will need some minor fabrication to make or adapt your catback to this exhaust. Aside from that you will need someone capable of tuning the car. BM3 already said they would be capable , it would merely take time.

If there is any other confusion let me know.
I know somebody on here said it would be easy. Don't remember who. I was just poking fun at anyone who thinks it's so easy to build one is all.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2017, 06:55 PM   #65
BMW M4 PWR
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by soobieajax325 View Post
I know somebody on here said it would be easy. Don't remember who. I was just poking fun at anyone who thinks it's so easy to build one is all.
Piece of cake!!
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2017, 06:52 AM   #66
BMW M4 PWR
Major
Rep

Any headway on development on a kit by anybody in the last 2 months? I see 2017 as being the year we see our FIRST aftermarket Single turbo kit (or twin kit with its own custom exhaust manifolds*) I emphasize the last comment as the stock exhaust manifolds (which in turn limit the size of turbine that can be run) begin to choke the CFM's up top under high boost/high rpms when ~700+whp... this is why you see the torque fall dramatically on any high boost dyno power curve. Without addressing the manifolds they become the limiting factor asto the power ceiling these cars will ever make...
Appreciate 0