proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics

11-01-2016, 04:13 PM   #1
kyleb350
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 X3MC

iDrive 5.0 Like and Dislikes

Having driven my car a couple months now (previously owned a 335i), I'd definitely say I love the new iDrive. This isn't intended to be a full blown review, just a discussion on what's good and what issues/annoyances exist.

It doesn't take long to get used to the new layout. There seem to be a number of new options to customize the media and navigation layouts to your preference. The ConnectedDrive apps respond a lot faster than the previous gen (due to the faster connection I assume). What I like the most is that the voice recognition is good now, and by that, I mean smartphone good! I can say "Navigate to 123 4th St" or even find a particular restaurant right off the bat. While on the highway, after reading a text, I can say "Text Mom 'I'll be there in 1 hour'". No need to pull out the phone at all.

Dislikes:
I am having one small issue with my iPod (via USB) shuffle setting resetting back to off occasionally having to reselect that option each time I turn the car on.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2016, 12:06 AM   #2
MPakE90
Private
Rep
Drives: '20 M2C

I thought I was pretty savvy when it came to navigating around the previous versions of iDrive but I must admit I'm a bit more lost this time around...

Especially with Apple CarPlay, still trying to figure out what's going on. When my Spotify app is playing a track, I can see the fuzzy album art in the background but all I see is a back, pause, and forward button laid out without knowing how to display just the track art.

Then again in all fairness I just picked my car up today and haven't had a lot of time to fiddle around with the new iDrive so we'll see how that goes! Nice to know that the voice recognition is decent in this car, going to have to test that out tomorrow
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2016, 11:58 AM   #3
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyleb350 View Post
Having driven my car a couple months now (previously owned a 335i), I'd definitely say I love the new iDrive. This isn't intended to be a full blown review, just a discussion on what's good and what issues/annoyances exist.

It doesn't take long to get used to the new layout. There seem to be a number of new options to customize the media and navigation layouts to your preference. The ConnectedDrive apps respond a lot faster than the previous gen (due to the faster connection I assume). What I like the most is that the voice recognition is good now, and by that, I mean smartphone good! I can say "Navigate to 123 4th St" or even find a particular restaurant right off the bat. While on the highway, after reading a text, I can say "Text Mom 'I'll be there in 1 hour'". No need to pull out the phone at all.

Dislikes:
I am having one small issue with my iPod (via USB) shuffle setting resetting back to off occasionally having to reselect that option each time I turn the car on.
I do agree that the voice command software is great. No silly mistakes like in ID4.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2016, 12:58 PM   #4
katit
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80

Funny you mention that.. In all previous card voice recognition was like blah. I speak with accent and no cars would understand me.

When I just got my M3 - I wasn't even trying, but my buddy said just tell the car what you need. I did it just for fun - and it got full address from first try! I though it was just a luck, but it did it second and third time.

I'm really impressed... It seems that it actually works.

What I don't like is how media setup. I'm used to seeing all albums from all singers in one list and just pick what I want. And I'm used to having 2 buttons to switch between tracks.

Now it's royal PITA to search by singer, select album, etc.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2016, 01:49 PM   #5
M Pulse
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '17 F82

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPakE90 View Post
I thought I was pretty savvy when it came to navigating around the previous versions of iDrive but I must admit I'm a bit more lost this time around...

Especially with Apple CarPlay, still trying to figure out what's going on. When my Spotify app is playing a track, I can see the fuzzy album art in the background but all I see is a back, pause, and forward button laid out without knowing how to display just the track art.

Then again in all fairness I just picked my car up today and haven't had a lot of time to fiddle around with the new iDrive so we'll see how that goes! Nice to know that the voice recognition is decent in this car, going to have to test that out tomorrow
Why don't you enable split screen and have media info appear on the right side. This way you'll get song title and album art.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2016, 11:59 AM   #6
Apollo_1092
SITH
Rep
Drives: M4

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
I just drove my moms new X3 with 5.0 and loved it. Only had a lot of exposure to the Nav side of it, but it seemed to be much more smooth and intuitive. Plus I like the look of 5.0 better. Still love my M3, but I'm still hoping they update the older version a bit more.
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2016, 03:06 PM   #7
Zeroblade
Explodes on impact
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Mazda3

Anyone know if this is running off a HDD and if so, on traditional mechanical HDD or SDD? The compute nerd in me would want to get the most out of these systems

*work in progress*
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2016, 05:36 PM   #8
Super Spartan
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2023 Nissan Z

Guys, when I am playing a track from my MP3 USB Stick, I have Shuffle Mode on, but if I use the controller knob on the steering wheel, it just shows the next track in order, so what I am having to do is to press the next button on the right of the center console to switch to the next shuffled track. Is there a way to do this from the steering wheel controls?
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2016, 07:02 AM   #9
Txipi84
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Is it possible to update the idrive to new version 5.0? I have a M3 F80 Jun'15
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2016, 06:17 PM   #10
bringbacklsb
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 LSB M3 (F80)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txipi84 View Post
Is it possible to update the idrive to new version 5.0? I have a M3 F80 Jun'15
No, since it is not just a software update but also new hardware.
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2016, 08:17 AM   #11
SeattleBmw55
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw 335i

will bmw release an update for the hardware?
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2016, 09:54 AM   #12
Don Molina
not that guy
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 + S2000

It has released new hardware, it's the new part numbers for the iDrive components.
      01-05-2017, 06:56 PM   #13
Biorin
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: to get cheeseburgers

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyleb350 View Post

Dislikes:
May I ask what iPod you're using? I have the last generation Classic, and iDrive 5.0 "works" with it until it glitches out/restarts. Would love to find what's compatible.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2017, 05:05 PM   #14
beyondtheabyss
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Sakhir Orange M4

In my opinion it looks great and fancy and is a little bit more quicker than ID4 but although they're small, the annoyances I had with it (the loaner I got had the new iDrive 5.0) were teeth grinding.

Brain fart. I can only think of two right now :

1. Screen brightness. Although I can see the stuff on the screen, it would be nice to have it brighter. Yes, I did have it to its maximum brightness and to me, it appeared very dim still as opposed to the old system which worked well.

2. Switching between Bluetooth and USB. I hate this. In ID4 you were able to play music through Bluetooth and easily connect your phone via USB and it would automatically switch over and vice-versa. With ID5, it just doesn't do that. It wants you to go into settings, turn this off, turn that on, etc etc.

Maybe I'm just a spoiled brat but this is just my two cents.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2017, 02:43 PM   #15
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyondtheabyss View Post
In my opinion it looks great and fancy and is a little bit more quicker than ID4 but although they're small, the annoyances I had with it (the loaner I got had the new iDrive 5.0) were teeth grinding.

Brain fart. I can only think of two right now :

1. Screen brightness. Although I can see the stuff on the screen, it would be nice to have it brighter. Yes, I did have it to its maximum brightness and to me, it appeared very dim still as opposed to the old system which worked well.

2. Switching between Bluetooth and USB. I hate this. In ID4 you were able to play music through Bluetooth and easily connect your phone via USB and it would automatically switch over and vice-versa. With ID5, it just doesn't do that. It wants you to go into settings, turn this off, turn that on, etc etc.

Maybe I'm just a spoiled brat but this is just my two cents.
I did notice the brightness thing, but it seems to self-adjust. Sometimes it's bright enough and other times it seems a bit dim despite being on max brightness.
Appreciate 2
      01-10-2017, 09:17 AM   #16
jpics80
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M3 - Alpine White

I hate that ID5 breaks the IFTT integration
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2017, 06:29 AM   #17
AhsanU
i can haz horsepowr ??
Rep
Drives: inconspicuous white van

Anyone notice how there aren't any arrows to go either forward or back of a music track in the HUD or middle part of the instrument panel? Apart from that, I'm enjoying the updated iDrive.

Edit: spelling

Last edited by AhsanU; 01-11-2017 at 04:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2017, 06:20 PM   #18
Warranty P
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F83

I think BMW took a few steps backwards with newest idrive. It just isn't as seamless as it should be. The screen is too dim and shiny too.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2017, 03:42 PM   #19
RobC2
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: different makes and models.

I really like the voice recognition, it is one of my favorite things in the car. Not a fan of the dim display. Driving around today it seemed to constantly get brighter and dimmer depending on the amount of sun. It seems you can only adjust max brightness at night, which is annoying.
Appreciate 1
MFNATIK3498.00
      01-24-2017, 06:54 PM   #20
MFNATIK
Blocked from G80/G82 for having an opinion
United_States
Rep
Drives: Trek Domane

overall I like the new ID5 vs. ID4. Having used almost every iteration of ID, this is by far their best effort. It actually aligns and is comparable with current phone tech. Its not perfect, but its a lot better than before. I think the voice recognition may be driven off the 4G connection thru the car. It really does understand natural speaking much better. It seemed like the older systems looked for key words but this one understands phrases.

The only niggle is the daytime screen brightness not being adjustable. Do not see why they would remove that option to adjust.

The new pop ups in the nav mode that preview the upcoming turns/exits/prompts is much nicer and makes navigating much easier. I also love how it zooms in and out at the appropriate times/speeds.
Appreciate 1
Sedan_Clan25059.50
      01-25-2017, 09:55 AM   #21
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFNATIK View Post
overall I like the new ID5 vs. ID4. Having used almost every iteration of ID, this is by far their best effort. It actually aligns and is comparable with current phone tech. Its not perfect, but its a lot better than before. I think the voice recognition may be driven off the 4G connection thru the car. It really does understand natural speaking much better. It seemed like the older systems looked for key words but this one understands phrases.

The only niggle is the daytime screen brightness not being adjustable. Do not see why they would remove that option to adjust.

The new pop ups in the nav mode that preview the upcoming turns/exits/prompts is much nicer and makes navigating much easier. I also love how it zooms in and out at the appropriate times/speeds.
Agreed on all points. Anybody saying this is a step backwards from what we had before isn't paying attention.
Appreciate 2
      01-25-2017, 11:04 AM   #22
NorCal f80
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snappy Phoenix View Post
Guys, when I am playing a track from my MP3 USB Stick, I have Shuffle Mode on, but if I use the controller knob on the steering wheel, it just shows the next track in order, so what I am having to do is to press the next button on the right of the center console to switch to the next shuffled track. Is there a way to do this from the steering wheel controls?
nope annoying . I think its for all media sources too
Appreciate 0