Pandora Car Alarm System
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M4 GTS Discussions

11-15-2016, 07:32 PM   #23
Osiris
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M

Garage List
2011 1M  [10.00]
2016 M4 GTS  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cntzl View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osiris View Post
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RPChan View Post
Most track weekends will require that you have high performance bake fluid in your car that has been changed in the past 6 months. I recommend that you have track pads as well. I do the work myself. Fluid costs $10. Hawk performance pads on my e36M3 run around $200 for the set. I imagine more for an M4 but probably not a lot more. They will last multiple weekends. Many drivers use their street tires for their first events. Tires have to have a reasonable amount of tread. Most operations will pair you with an instructor for your first events which is included in the price of the event. The only other expense is you have to have a current helmet. All in all you might spend up to $1000 but the majority of that investment is usable for future events.
The problem for me is that I don't have the garage space to work on my car. I mean I have a garage but I live in a apartment complex so very limited space. Even if I somehow find the space to do it, it would still be not easy for me probably since I have never done it before. Maybe I should watch some DIY videos
I have tracked my daily driver on BMW driving school events. Didn't have to work on car between evens. But warranty and service plans usually took care of brakes and fluids. So it only cost me the registration fees which was in 200$ to 300$ range. That was 135i. Was fun but not sure I can do the same with gts.
What about track insurance?
I didn't bother with 135i. Rather unwise maybe.
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2016, 11:20 PM   #24
johnr265
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I have been to track couple of times in Europe before but I have never tracked a car here in US including my M4. Since I got my M4, I have noticed that I'm much more inclined to drive it very aggressively on public roads. Almost everyone recommends that I take it to the track and it will calm me down on public roads. While it sounds pretty convincing, I still can't justify the cost of a track day. Entrance fee is about $300-$400 depending on the event, track insurance $400-500 for my ZCP etc and it already sums up to ~$800. So here is my question (not M4 GTS specific): How much does a track day cost on average? I mean, I'm mostly interested in the track prep part that is required both before and after the event as in replacing brake pads, fluid etc . I know that the total cost might depend on the car, shop etc. but I'm just trying to get an idea from experienced people
As you well point out, the car affects things and the more aggressively you drive, the faster you wear things out. I think $1000/day is a reasonable ballpark because you have to amortize other costs brakes, tires, the occasional windshield, wear and tear on the car, gas to and at the event, hotel, track fees. This doesn't include insurance costs. When you really start getting serious, you add Hoosiers, trailers, tow vehicles, and everything also wears faster because of the added stress you are putting on the car with the stickier rubber. Costs can be as high as $1500/day in these situations and in a more expensive car.

I think for most people, not adding it up makes it more fun because you can plead ignorance, both to yourself and your significant other .
Appreciate 3
M-Pilot4859.00
KKSigs1267.50
ICTZHP25.00
      11-16-2016, 04:19 AM   #25
Osiris
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 1M  [10.00]
2016 M4 GTS  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnr265 View Post
Quote:
I have been to track couple of times in Europe before but I have never tracked a car here in US including my M4. Since I got my M4, I have noticed that I'm much more inclined to drive it very aggressively on public roads. Almost everyone recommends that I take it to the track and it will calm me down on public roads. While it sounds pretty convincing, I still can't justify the cost of a track day. Entrance fee is about $300-$400 depending on the event, track insurance $400-500 for my ZCP etc and it already sums up to ~$800. So here is my question (not M4 GTS specific): How much does a track day cost on average? I mean, I'm mostly interested in the track prep part that is required both before and after the event as in replacing brake pads, fluid etc . I know that the total cost might depend on the car, shop etc. but I'm just trying to get an idea from experienced people
As you well point out, the car affects things and the more aggressively you drive, the faster you wear things out. I think $1000/day is a reasonable ballpark because you have to amortize other costs brakes, tires, the occasional windshield, wear and tear on the car, gas to and at the event, hotel, track fees. This doesn't include insurance costs. When you really start getting serious, you add Hoosiers, trailers, tow vehicles, and everything also wears faster because of the added stress you are putting on the car with the stickier rubber. Costs can be as high as $1500/day in these situations and in a more expensive car.

I think for most people, not adding it up makes it more fun because you can plead ignorance, both to yourself and your significant other .
Yes significant other is huge factor. I don't know about others but I am bending over backwards to just keep this GTS purchase active. Specially that the car is two seats only and I also have 1M. So I am keeping my track intentions and potential other costs under wraps for now.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2016, 04:33 AM   #26
KKSigs
M4 CSL FBG
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 CSL FBG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osiris View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnr265 View Post
Quote:

Yes significant other is huge factor. I don't know about others but I am bending over backwards to just keep this GTS purchase active. Specially that the car is two seats only and I also have 1M. So I am keeping my track intentions and potential other costs under wraps for now.
Yes there is a fine line for a happy wife, happy life. My wife and I really don't talk much about my car stuff or she pleads ignorance about it.
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2016, 10:46 AM   #27
PNWM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW XM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKSigs View Post
Yes there is a fine line for a happy wife, happy life. My wife and I really don't talk much about my car stuff or she pleads ignorance about it.
Here's my wife with her M6 a few years ago and then at the 2-Day M School in SC. She drove her M6 on the track a few times and she's all for the GTS. She'll probably go to most track days as well. Will save on insurance but we'll spend more on tires and everything else.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
KKSigs1267.50
      11-16-2016, 11:24 AM   #28
schnell325
Bored at work....
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 F82 M4 GTS//2022 M235iGC

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKSigs View Post
Apparently I went over that line a few years ago
Grey Matter:2008 E92 M3:608/425. SG/PS SOLD!
Dark Matter:2015 F80 M3:495/505. SOLD!
Anti Matter :2016 F82 M4 GTS
What next?!? A 2022 M235i GC- I must be getting old
Appreciate 2
M4_GTS1152.50
KKSigs1267.50
      11-16-2016, 01:21 PM   #29
VCP
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: M4GTS BSM/F90comp/BSM M2CS

And she doesn't have a GTS on the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by schnell325 View Post
Apparently I went over that line a few years ago
Appreciate 1
      11-17-2016, 12:13 AM   #30
cookiesowns
;)
Rep
Drives: X5 45e, 535i N54, X3 N55

My 2 cents..

Personally I feel track insurance is really only necessary if you feel you will drive the balls off the car at a track you're unfamiliar or don't know the event organizer that well.

If you run with well organized events, and know your limits or the car limits, it's a pretty safe experience.

Obviously $$$$ happens... just be safe, follow the rules, don't be a dick, and avoid the A$$HOLE drivers on the track ( there's always 1 at every event, trust me ) and you should be fine =)
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2016, 09:06 AM   #31
mu2002cs
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mu2002cs View Post
I just did a 3 Day HPDE at COTA. Track insurance from Locton was $870 with 15% deductible.

Two key things to consider:

1) Track insurance covers both your car and damage to the track. Guard rails, air walls, etc are expensive.

2) Make sure you cover the full value of your car. Partial value brings in a host of insurance laws that could cost you your car!

****** Update based on experience

I'm an experienced driver so I normally don't buy track insurance, but did for the 3 days at COTA. Why did I buy insurance , because I did not know the GTS capabilities and was not familiar with the car (had it a week before tracking). Next time out, I'll skip the insurance.

Lessons learned:

1) front tires are shot after 350 track miles
2) rear tires have about 200 track miles left
3) the tolerance between the front wheel and the calipers is very tight. Check for debris after every run as the build up will scratch the inside of the wheels. You will have to remove the wheels to do this as the debris sticks to the wheels and the calipers.
4) if you have not already done so, have your splitter and air dam wrapped.
5) I had a harness installed in the car. This is one fast car and generates high G forces. It definitely needs a harness to be safe and to keep you in your seat.

So factor all of this into your costs.

Lastly - the best way to enjoy the GTS is on the track!
Appreciate 3
redrumm3417.00
CanAutM321115.00
KKSigs1267.50
      11-17-2016, 09:15 AM   #32
PNWM3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW XM

Quote:

I'm an experienced driver so I normally don't buy track insurance, but did for the 3 days at COTA. Why did I buy insurance , because I did not know the GTS capabilities and was not familiar with the car (had it a week before tracking). Next time out, I'll skip the insurance.

Lessons learned:

3) the tolerance between the front wheel and the calipers is very tight. Check for debris after every run as the build up will scratch the inside of the wheels. You will have to remove the wheels to do this as the debris sticks to the wheels and the calipers.
5) I had a harness installed in the car. This is one fast car and generates high G forces. It definitely needs a harness to be safe and to keep you in your seat.

What harness and how did you have it set up with the seats the way they are without movable headrests?

Last edited by PNWM3; 11-17-2016 at 09:22 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2016, 09:16 AM   #33
redrumm3
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS, M3 GT4, E30 M3...

Garage List
Quote:

Lessons learned:

Great insight, thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2016, 02:39 PM   #34
MarksM
Dishonorable Discharged
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M3 2012, M4 GTS Sold

Quote:

Lessons learned:

Glad you got at least 350 miles, Front tires shredded in 200 miles on mine.
Insurance is probably not for your mistakes, but for those around that want to hit you. All but one of my track "problems" came from others who were much less careful. Remember the other guy has no responsibility to fix you car on normal track days, even driving school days. Read what you sign.

BTW, New track rules out here are changing to require a Hans type device if you use a 4,5, or 6 point harness.
Appreciate 1
Mlyfe1.50
      11-17-2016, 05:53 PM   #35
VCP
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: M4GTS BSM/F90comp/BSM M2CS

100%!

Quote:

Appreciate 0
      12-30-2016, 04:29 AM   #36
GraveSmiles
Australia
Rep
Drives: M4 GTS

No insurance focused the mind

Quote:
What about track insurance?
I've never had insurance for the track. Not for a E46 M3, F13 M6 or M4 GTS. (I picked up my M4 GTS 6PM on a Friday and had it on a track at 8am Saturday with 55kms on the clock. See photo)
The "focuses the mind" title is 40% tongue in check, 60% true. I think of I had track insurance I would drive differently, more recklessly.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2
Osiris64.50
redrumm3417.00
      12-30-2016, 04:54 AM   #37
Captain Unknown GT4
Captain
Rep
Drives: GT4

Way to go! That pic do show how well the GTS fit to track inviroment. Great pic!

Just out of curiosity, what set up did you drive? Street or track from bmw manual or set it up anything at own taste other than the 2 settings bmw show?

Car looks Rather high of the ground in that pic. but great angle on that rear wing. Looks like Max aero.

Last edited by Captain Unknown GT4; 12-30-2016 at 05:01 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2016, 06:17 PM   #38
GraveSmiles
Australia
Rep

Suspension set up for Sandown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Unknown GT4 View Post
Way to go! That pic do show how well the GTS fit to track inviroment. Great pic!

Just out of curiosity, what set up did you drive? Street or track from bmw manual or set it up anything at own taste other than the 2 settings bmw show?

Car looks Rather high of the ground in that pic. but great angle on that rear wing. Looks like Max aero.
At Sandown I have been running street suspension settings, it's a very bumpy track. I do run full aero just for a bit of confidence even though there are no high speed corners. I'll be heading out to Phillip Island Grand Prix circuit at the end of January, hopefully. That's a smooth track with a number of high speed corners so I will change to the track setting for that and maybe even a little lower to get as much aero as possible.
Here is a video of Sandown chasing down a Cayman GT4 after being overtaken by a friend in his 991 GT3RS.
Appreciate 2
M4_GTS1152.50
      01-01-2017, 07:42 AM   #39
Captain Unknown GT4
Captain
Rep
Drives: GT4

Great video, Thanks For upload!

That track car will drive much better if low down track setting, also tire will last and performance better in that setting vs high street setting.

Please I would Love the hear you feedback on how the car drive if and when you get the chance to low down track setting. Personal I did think that drop did a big big improvement and car is a blast then to drive these kind of tracks.
Appreciate 1
      01-01-2017, 09:56 PM   #40
Warranty P
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F83

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPChan View Post
Most track weekends will require that you have high performance bake fluid in your car that has been changed in the past 6 months. I recommend that you have track pads as well. I do the work myself. Fluid costs $10. Hawk performance pads on my e36M3 run around $200 for the set. I imagine more for an M4 but probably not a lot more. They will last multiple weekends. Many drivers use their street tires for their first events. Tires have to have a reasonable amount of tread. Most operations will pair you with an instructor for your first events which is included in the price of the event. The only other expense is you have to have a current helmet. All in all you might spend up to $1000 but the majority of that investment is usable for future events.
This is just silly, track days in Germany cost you anywhere from 15-30 Euro per 25 min. On the track. I never get track insurance and I certainly would never go to the track if it cost me $1000 to do it.
Appreciate 1
M4_GTS1152.50
      01-01-2017, 10:51 PM   #41
M4_GTS
Lieutenant Colonel
Hong Kong
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warranty P View Post
This is just silly, track days in Germany cost you anywhere from 15-30 Euro per 25 min. On the track. I never get track insurance and I certainly would never go to the track if it cost me $1000 to do it.
I went to the ring last year and it only cost me in total 200usd for a night at the Lindner Hotel, dinner at the Pistenklause and 3 laps around the ring. Not to mention the insurance provided by BMW AG from Allianz covers tourist days at the ring.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2017, 07:48 AM   #42
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M4_GTS View Post
I went to the ring last year and it only cost me in total 200usd for a night at the Lindner Hotel, dinner at the Pistenklause and 3 laps around the ring. Not to mention the insurance provided by BMW AG from Allianz covers tourist days at the ring.
'Ring "turistenfahrts" are not track days; the ring simply becomes a public toll road without speed limit (on most sections) and anyone is allowed access with any vehicle. There are actual proper track days/HPDE-type events organized at the 'ring and registration is quite expensive (500EUR~1000EUR+).

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black

Last edited by CanAutM3; 01-02-2017 at 09:58 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2017, 07:54 AM   #43
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warranty P View Post
I think RPChan also includes consumables and amneties in his total track day cost. When you start adding up registration, fuel, tires, brakes, lodging, it quickly goes in the $500~$1000 per day range. But I think it is less depressing not trying to add it up

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1317805

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2017, 09:15 AM   #44
Warranty P
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: F83

Quote:
Originally Posted by M4_GTS View Post
Right, that sounds a lot more reasonable than dumping $1K per track event. Although I must say that I was always a little apprehensive at Nurburgring. I always preferred shorter closed loop tracks.
Appreciate 0