Mo Reviews
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > UK

01-07-2017, 02:27 PM   #1
rhm_SIIM4
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: MY19 M4 CP (SMB)

ASD disabled - thoughts

Hi All,

Just got round to getting all the e-sys software working so I can try out the M4 with no ASD. I've also tried to set the ASD unit to "competition pack mode" although I couldn't detect any difference between that and stock even though some on 'tinterweb are claiming it makes a difference.

So anyway I've settled with it off now after having a quick drive in each mode today. As it turns out I don't hate the ASD sound - maybe it has improved over the years with all the updates - mine is a 2017 Model Year built in August 2016. But having tried both modes extensively I am just happier with the more natural and more exhaust-biased sound.

My experience is that the ASD is almost exclusively trying to put back the raspy NA sound of the E46 M3 - I guess they were properly paranoid with producing a turbo engine for this iconic car. I had the old (Z3)M Coupe which had the same engine as the E46 M3 and I actually wasn't a massive fan of the metallic sound so if you love that maybe ASD is a better fit. Without ASD the sound is more exhaust biased and quieter at lower revs. However I find that at higher revs, it isn't that much quieter and the sound is more pleasant - a more rounded scream rather than a metallic rasp.

To disable the ASD it is as simple as setting the model range to F020/F021 in the ASD ECU - for whatever reason this upsets the unit and it doesn't do anything. Slightly easier that pulling the car to bits to unplug the unit ... I didn't fancy trying that at all!

Oh and one last thing - the HK sound is noticably better without mixing in the engine induction sound - not unimportant to me given the extra I paid for it!!

Any questions on ASD vs no-ASD - just shout.

Rich.
Appreciate 3
M5essex641.50
gatsojon498.00
dopper993528.00
      01-10-2017, 06:17 AM   #2
M5essex
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: RR sport SVR, Vent S, 650s spi

good info Rich, thank you
Gone - 2016 F80 CP, 2015 991 Turbo S, 2016 LCI M135i. 2015 F10 CP M5. 2015 X5, 2012 E92 CP M3. 2009 E92 335i
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2017, 09:15 AM   #3
rhm_SIIM4
Private First Class
Rep

Before I tinkered I would have been prepared to believe that there was no ASD on mine or perhaps that it had been turned down in the 17 model year but now I've turned it off it is pretty obvious! So maybe in the many revisions they are getting closer to something that works.

Aside from the psychology of fake sound which I'll admit affects me, the only actual irritation was an overly hissy/whiney sound on very light throttle - like it was just enough to turn ASD on and it came it too abrumptly. The sound at low/mid revs nicely merges with the exhaust sound ... but I'm still happier with it off!
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2017, 05:00 PM   #4
scottc
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Mercedes E350 Cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhm_SIIM4 View Post
Before I tinkered I would have been prepared to believe that there was no ASD on mine or perhaps that it had been turned down in the 17 model year but now I've turned it off it is pretty obvious! So maybe in the many revisions they are getting closer to something that works.

Aside from the psychology of fake sound which I'll admit affects me, the only actual irritation was an overly hissy/whiney sound on very light throttle - like it was just enough to turn ASD on and it came it too abrumptly. The sound at low/mid revs nicely merges with the exhaust sound ... but I'm still happier with it off!
I switched mine off as well, got a odbd wireless connecter for£15 and the bimmerlink app for the phone.

Way better with it switched off
      01-14-2017, 03:38 AM   #5
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Golf R Mk8

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottc View Post
I switched mine off as well, got a odbd wireless connecter for£15 and the bimmerlink app for the phone.

Hmm, thats interesting Scott, I like the idea of that rather than faffing around coding with a laptop.
Have you got a link for the odbd wireless connector that you are using?

Can you turn the exhaust flaps permanently off? ie like in Sport mode, will they stay off out of interest? I dont tend to use Sport mode much with the missus in the car as its too noisey for her, would be good to turn it off at times.

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2017, 07:09 AM   #6
scottc
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dopper99 View Post
Quote:

Hmm, thats interesting Scott, I like the idea of that rather than faffing around coding with a laptop.
Have you got a link for the odbd wireless connector that you are using?

Can you turn the exhaust flaps permanently off? ie like in Sport mode, will they stay off out of interest? I dont tend to use Sport mode much with the missus in the car as its too noisey for her, would be good to turn it off at times.
Yes it's great, with asd you just pop in the obdb dongle connect with phone and just select asd. So simple and for £30 cheap as chips.

It lets you control the exhaust, I have not seen whether it's persistent or you have to set every time. With asd it stays off..

Vgate iCar 2 WiFi OBD2 Scanner Scan Tools Interface Adapter Check Engine Car Diagnostics Tool for iOS iPhone iPad, Android Auto Sleep (Black) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01CG0XW..._dlIEybN5KRZ9J

It's now £20, You then just need the bimmerlink app, which I think is £10..
      01-14-2017, 06:15 PM   #7
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Yes it's great, with asd you just pop in the obdb dongle connect with phone and just select asd. So simple and for £30 cheap as chips.

It lets you control the exhaust, I have not seen whether it's persistent or you have to set every time. With asd it stays off..

Vgate iCar 2 WiFi OBD2 Scanner Scan Tools Interface Adapter Check Engine Car Diagnostics Tool for iOS iPhone iPad, Android Auto Sleep (Black) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01CG0XW..._dlIEybN5KRZ9J

It's now £20, You then just need the bimmerlink app, which I think is £10..
Ordered.
Thanks Scott.

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2017, 02:37 AM   #8
rhm_SIIM4
Private First Class
Rep

Yeah that looks easier than poking around with e-sys for sure. Slightly OT but re the flaps - mine seem to hardwired to engine mode - i.e. Efficient has them closed and sport or sport+ has them open - all the time. Is that what everyone has? Hence not really getting the point of having settings or mods to keep them open ...
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2017, 03:43 AM   #9
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Yeah that looks easier than poking around with e-sys for sure. Slightly OT but re the flaps - mine seem to hardwired to engine mode - i.e. Efficient has them closed and sport or sport+ has them open - all the time. Is that what everyone has? Hence not really getting the point of having settings or mods to keep them open ...
Yes indeed, that how it's designed to work. In addition we have the noisey cold start which you don't get a choice about either!

This app may not control the flaps at all, I'll see when I get the obdc box......

I assume there is no option using e-sys to control the flaps?

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2017, 04:47 AM   #10
scottc
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Yes indeed, that how it's designed to work. In addition we have the noisey cold start which you don't get a choice about either!

This app may not control the flaps at all, I'll see when I get the obdc box......

I assume there is no option using e-sys to control the flaps?
The app does control the flaps, you can have it on auto, open or closed.

This is all of the controls in the app
Attached Images

01-15-2017, 11:12 AM   #11
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep

Big thread on the bimmerlink app here

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...php?p=19866269

just a bit confused if it remembers the settings every time you get into the car? Some says it seems to but you need the odb adaptor plugged in all the time and the phone connects via wi-fi and downloads your settings?
Also, there is talk about it draining your car battery?

Last edited by dopper99; 01-15-2017 at 11:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2017, 12:13 PM   #12
scottc
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Big thread on the bimmerlink app here

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...php?p=19866269

just a bit confused if it remembers the settings every time you get into the car? Some says it seems to but you need the odb adaptor plugged in all the time and the phone connects via wi-fi and downloads your settings?
Also, there is talk about it draining your car battery?
It remembers ASD setting as I switched mine off and it stays off with out the dongle in.
      01-15-2017, 01:49 PM   #13
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
It remembers ASD setting as I switched mine off and it stays off with out the dongle in.
Thanks Scott.

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2017, 03:53 AM   #14
rhm_SIIM4
Private First Class
Rep

Suspect ASD setting just codes it like with e-sys which is permanent - not seen coding options for flaps ... I didn't come across it whilst poking around but then there is massive amounts of incomprehensible settings in there so someone maybe have found something.

The only useful thing I can see with the flaps is to manually close them so you can have more than 300ps without all the noise (in town etc). In all engine modes except efficient they are open the whole time for me anyway ... plus the trick to open them before a cold start to wake the street is pretty easy ... or am I missing something??
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2017, 04:56 AM   #15
gatsojon
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 CP SSII/SS

Garage List
2017 BMW M4 CP  [10.00]
Quote:

... so you can have more than 300ps without all the noise (in town etc). ?
So with closed flaps (as in efficient mode) is the engine power suppressed? I hadn't appreciated that at all.
      01-16-2017, 12:38 PM   #16
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep

Well the odb dongle arrived today so tried it on the way home with the bimmerlink app that Scott recommended. After trying to connect to it a couple of times, all seems to work well.

Just tried turning off ASD then turn the flaps off, just to see what it's like.

Strangely quiet!! In fact, you can hear all the unwanted rattles a bit more.

It did dawn on me whether closing the flaps permanently has an effect on performance. I couldn't really tell, just driving it 3 miles home, need to give it a good test.

But first impressions, seems to work well.

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2017, 01:25 PM   #17
scottc
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Well the odb dongle arrived today so tried it on the way home with the bimmerlink app that Scott recommended. After trying to connect to it a couple of times, all seems to work well.

Just tried turning off ASD then turn the flaps off, just to see what it's like.

Strangely quiet!! In fact, you can hear all the unwanted rattles a bit more.

It did dawn on me whether closing the flaps permanently has an effect on performance. I couldn't really tell, just driving it 3 miles home, need to give it a good test.

But first impressions, seems to work well.
Maybe that is why I noticed so many more rattles

Mine are all fixed now so it is nice and quiet, I much prefer ASD Off.
      01-18-2017, 01:52 AM   #18
rhm_SIIM4
Private First Class
Rep

Luckily I am rattle free and I still find the car sufficiently loud with ASD off - especially at mid to high revs and loving the more natural tone. Re power and flaps - AFAIK efficient mode limits torque to allow about 300ps (my dials don't exceed that number using sports display) - the flaps are I suspect mainly irrelevant to this - it is an ECU thing to avoid you chewing petrol. Maybe there is a small drop in power if you close the flaps manually in sport/s+ mode but surely it will be very very slight.
Appreciate 1
gatsojon498.00
      01-18-2017, 04:36 AM   #19
gatsojon
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M4 CP SSII/SS

Garage List
2017 BMW M4 CP  [10.00]
Quote:
Luckily I am rattle free and I still find the car sufficiently loud with ASD off - especially at mid to high revs and loving the more natural tone. Re power and flaps - AFAIK efficient mode limits torque to allow about 300ps (my dials don't exceed that number using sports display) - the flaps are I suspect mainly irrelevant to this - it is an ECU thing to avoid you chewing petrol. Maybe there is a small drop in power if you close the flaps manually in sport/s+ mode but surely it will be very very slight.
That ECU suggestion sounds a much more likely explanation for the power drop (if there is one) than the physical exhaust change.
      01-18-2017, 06:57 AM   #20
dopper99
Lieutenant General
Rep

I could swear blind that setting the flaps to Off seems to make the car less sprightly in Sport and Sport+. Doesn't seem a lot of difference between each mode with the flaps shut.

So probably best to leave the flap setting alone.

Could be my imagination, I need to do some more testing.

Current:
Golf R Mk8
Previous:
Golf R Mk7.5
Mercedes AMG C63 S Coupe
F80 M3 Competition Pack
Appreciate 0