Autotalent
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls

11-25-2016, 10:24 AM   #23
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 981 Cayman GTS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by lukej View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by cntzl View Post
If it wasn't on the list, how did you have them replace it?
It started making a noise when it was cold I took it to them ,,they had a BMW performance guy come and listen to it and they said it was the rear diff so they replaced ,, they also said when they drain the oil there was metal in it..
Was the noise similar to this?

Appreciate 0
      11-25-2016, 03:22 PM   #24
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

Quote:
Was your car included in the recall? Also, what was your car's production date? Mine is April 28th but still not included in the recall.
Yes my car was on the recall list but was delivered and flagged at my 1200 mile service. My car was week 23 production.

At first they were not doing the diff and subframe bolts and then BMW put out a newer notice to do the bolts too. I wonder how many people had it fixed before the second notice.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2016, 06:38 PM   #25
RossL
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

New guy question. How do I check to see if my car is on the list for the bolts and diff?
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2016, 06:50 PM   #26
Acree
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Waiting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by YasM3 View Post
Replacing the rear differential will not cause a vibration in the steering wheel. If you have a steering wheel vibration, something up front is going on.

Wheels/tires out of balance

Bent front wheels

Wheel spacers not seated correctly(if you have them)

Tire issue

possibly a few other scenarios. But most likely, not due to the rear differential.
This is a smart response.

Listen to this man.

Past
03 MB E55 AMG, 16 Grigio Medio F80 M3, 11 E92 M3, 13 BRZ, 06 Evo IX, 05 350Z
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2016, 08:11 PM   #27
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acree View Post
This is a smart response.

Listen to this man.
Except I had vibration with my old one and dont now. They didnt change anything else on the car.

He also contradicts himself.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2016, 10:34 PM   #28
M-Pilot
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 981 Cayman GTS

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
If it wasn't on the list, how did you have them replace it?
It started making a noise when it was cold I took it to them ,,they had a BMW performance guy come and listen to it and they said it was the rear diff so they replaced ,, they also said when they drain the oil there was metal in it..

Can someone who had his diff replaced please confirm if this was the noise you used to hear?

On M2 forum, final consensus is this is not the diff noise . Instead, it's related to the rocks stuck between the heat shields and disks. However, I keep hearing this exact noise despite flexing the heat shield by hand to get rid of any possible rocks. I would really appreciate if someone can elaborate on this.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2016, 12:37 AM   #29
lukej
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 Comp,

Quote:
Can someone who had his diff replaced please confirm if this was the noise you used to hear?

On M2 forum, final consensus is this is not the diff noise . Instead, it's related to the rocks stuck between the heat shields and disks. However, I keep hearing this exact noise despite flexing the heat shield by hand to get rid of any possible rocks. I would really appreciate if someone can elaborate on this.
I can't hear the audio ,,

2. I’m not an (EXPERT) I’m just here with an opinion. So
don’t hate me. (lukej)
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2016, 12:39 AM   #30
lukej
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 Comp,

Quote:
Replacing the rear differential will not cause a vibration in the steering wheel. If you have a steering wheel vibration, something up front is going on.

Bent front wheels

Tire issue

possibly a few other scenarios. But most likely, not due to the rear differential.
Yes I agree but the big question is that was the only thing they worked on but I'm going to have a check out on Monday thanks for all the input ...

2. I’m not an (EXPERT) I’m just here with an opinion. So
don’t hate me. (lukej)
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2016, 07:52 AM   #31
Soundstream
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X7 40i

Quote:

Bent front wheels

Tire issue

About a year ago I had my vehicle in the shop for about 7 weeks (on and off) for a vibration issue. It was right at about 60 - 65 mph (about 95 - 110 km/h). It felt exactly like the OP mentioned - felt like the lane departure warning system was activated.

I went through the traditional list of items listed above and it was NONE of those (even though they are the most likely culprits). The dealership replaced everything, and I mean everything. They went through 8 new rims, 12 new tires, replacement of front brake rotors, replacement of steering rack, replacement of steering wheel (twice), replacement of front suspension, replacement of two carbon fibre driveshafts. The list went on and on.

[SIDE NOTE: I got extremely lucky in being able to replace all those parts in a relatively short amount of time as there were several dozen M3/M4 cars shipped to Canada that had to be crushed due to extreme snow exposure. I just happened to have my vehicle serviced at the same dealership that was holding those to-be-crushed vehicles, and they could use these cars for donor parts.]

They ended up have a BMW tech come from Germany to take a look at the vehicle as they had exhausted all their options. They placed vibration sensors all over various parts of the car to try and determine the source of the vibration. They opened up a PUMA case for this issue. They told me that they had only come across one such other case, but the investigation didn't go too far as the client ended up selling the car.

One thing that did make it "better" (but not perfect) was adjusting the "settings" on the driveshaft. I don't know what that means, but the tech explained that there is a mechanical setting that can be adjusted on the driveshaft to try and cancel out any vibration. For me, we tried it on all three settings using two different driveshafts. Adjusting it would improve things, but not fully eliminate the vibration.

The eventual cause of issue turned to be (I believe) a piece that connected the driveshaft to the differential. Or at least that was what was explained to me. After they replaced that part, the car drove perfect.

The shop foreman said that this was the most difficult vibration case he had ever had to deal with. But he was absolutely fantastic in working with me and listening to my input/feedback as they tried all the various adjustments.

Anyways, my point is, that if you have exhausted all of the traditional methods of vibration (wheels, tires, etc.) it is possible that it could be related to the driveshaft/differential.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2016, 08:53 AM   #32
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep

Quote:
How do I contradict myself?

If you have a vibration that is making the Steering wheel vibrate. The issue is up front with most likely one of the causes I already mentioned up front. The differential is not causing it.

Yes, the differential will cause a vibration. Of course replacing the differential may have fixed others vibrations including yours. I am not saying the differential will not fix a vibration. I am talking about solely a vibration in the steering wheel like the OP mentioned. Not felt in the seat, not felt in the floor but the actual steering wheel shaking on its own while driving is not caused by the differential.
I had vibration in my steering wheel as well.
Appreciate 1
RossL2.00
      11-26-2016, 09:54 AM   #33
docmfg
Private
Rep
Drives: E46 M3/2016 M4

Garage List
2009 MB C63  [0.00]
2012 BMW 535  [0.00]
2016 BMW M4  [0.00]
2003 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:

That noise is from rocks in the heat shields.
Appreciate 1
M-Pilot4859.00
      11-28-2016, 10:02 AM   #34
Acree
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Waiting...

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
Except I had vibration with my old one and dont now. They didnt change anything else on the car.

He also contradicts himself.
The diff alone was causing vibrations up front?

Past
03 MB E55 AMG, 16 Grigio Medio F80 M3, 11 E92 M3, 13 BRZ, 06 Evo IX, 05 350Z
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2016, 02:44 PM   #35
09carreras
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:
Well had the new rear diff put in today at BMW and no more left the lot and on the highway between 60 and 70 miles an hour I get a constant vibration in the steering wheel, can you can feel it in your butt ,,, its about half as much vibration as you get when the Lane keeping assist vibrates ... by the way turned off Lane keeping assist and it's not that doing it ..... going to have to take it back next week anybody's thoughts on this or had that happen to them?
I have the same problem at the same speed as well as a higher speed. The car was perfect before they changed the diff. Now it vibrates and the regional rep said there is nothing wrong with my car.

Last edited by 09carreras; 11-29-2016 at 08:13 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2016, 02:51 PM   #36
09carreras
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3

Quote:
How do I contradict myself?

If you have a vibration that is making the Steering wheel vibrate. The issue is up front with most likely one of the causes I already mentioned up front. The differential is not causing it.

Yes, the differential will cause a vibration. Of course replacing the differential may have fixed others vibrations including yours. I am not saying the differential will not fix a vibration. I am talking about solely a vibration in the steering wheel like the OP mentioned. Not felt in the seat, not felt in the floor but the actual steering wheel shaking on its own while driving is not caused by the differential.
No this is not true. I have the same issue where at ~37 MPH you can begin to feel it in the stickshift and back seat. It then gets excited again at ~67 MPH where the stick, seat and steering begin to shake. The car has been checked for any issues in the front. You are feeling it in the steering due to the car having a rigid subframe and the vibration is being transmitted back through the chassis and in to the steering. It gets worse at 90 MPH. I have tried two sets of wheels and they all have the same issue. The 2nd dealer recognized that the driveshaft is misaligned and is currently addressing the issue. I have been chasing this problem since I got my car in August after re-delivery from Germany.

Last edited by 09carreras; 11-29-2016 at 08:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2016, 08:19 AM   #37
frankiebones
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Fire Orange G80 6MT

Question

Quote:

I am on the recall list and I do get that tin-can scraping sound (but only once in a blue moon). as i understand it, there is no driveability issues, so i am hesitant to bring my car in for the new rear diff after hearing all these horror stories (not just here but from 2 people i know personally).

also, i am not sure given the upcoming winter weather that now is the best time to break in a new diff. i did a damn good job in june of beating the car up the first 1,200 miles and subjecting it to various twists and turns at varying speeds. not sure i could do the same now.

any comments or advice would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2016, 08:52 AM   #38
JoeFromPA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 AW M3 6MT Stripper

A few things to add here:

You can feel a vibration in your steering wheel AND THE REST OF THE CAR and it come from the rear axle, or driveshaft, etc.

But if your vibration is PREDOMINANTLY in the steering wheel and much less noticeable in other parts (i.e. gear shift), then it is a front axle problem.

A diff replacement is "simple" in the sense that it's not a complex job. However, it is not difficult to mess up the delicate balance of 3 rotating assemblies going out from the diff - the driveshaft side or the 2 axles. So while perhaps the new diff is causing the vibration issue, it could also simply be an installation issue causing a balancing problem at 60-70mph resulting in notable vibration emerging at those speeds.

It is very unusual to have a diff-related internal issue that only emerges within a narrow band of speed. That's a balancing issue and unless the diff itself is faulty, the more likely culprits to emerge in a balancing issue are on the driveshaft side.

Small anecdote: I had a 2007 vw touareg v10 twin turbo diesel. Under an extended warranty, but at ~120k miles, one turbo failed which required the entire engine be dropped out of the bottom of the car in order to replace. These are not common VW vehicles, so expertise is limited. The dealership I took it too fucked up the perfect driveshaft during the R&R and said it was faulty when I COULDNT leave the parking lot because it was knocking against the chassis so hard by 5mph. They tried to deliver it back to me that way.

I then located a 2nd (again, rare) driveshaft, drove 250 miles to get it, brought it back, and had them re-install it. A BRAND NEW driveshaft from VW.

Immediately after leaving the dealership, when under heavy throttle, the driveshaft would knock into the center tunnel of the car.

My point behind all this is even with brand new parts, installation is crucial and it is very easy to screw up a mounting bushing or U-joint and not even realize it, resulting in various issues.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2016, 09:02 AM   #39
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acree View Post
The diff alone was causing vibrations up front?
Frankly my whole car felt like it was going to fall apart above 6k RPM with the original diff. I complained about this to CaryTheLabelGuy a few times asking if it was my motor having issues. Once the diff was fixed (the only thing they touched) it was all remedied and the car is now smooth as butter to redline.
Appreciate 1
Acree377.50
      11-30-2016, 02:22 PM   #40
bmrwrld
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Glad now I had mine built back in 2014 with all the issues there having lately. Most bugs are in the 1st production line. looks like its happening later in this model.
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2016, 02:25 PM   #41
JoeFromPA
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '15 AW M3 6MT Stripper

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmrwrld View Post
Glad now I had mine built back in 2014 with all the issues there having lately. Most bugs are in the 1st production line. looks like its happening later in this model.
Pleasantly surprised too - and we have the magnesium oil pans, which everyone knows makes us faster.
      11-30-2016, 08:46 PM   #42
CaryTheLabelGuy
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M4 ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
Frankly my whole car felt like it was going to fall apart above 6k RPM with the original diff. I complained about this to CaryTheLabelGuy a few times asking if it was my motor having issues. Once the diff was fixed (the only thing they touched) it was all remedied and the car is now smooth as butter to redline.
What's funny? I'm starting to experience the differential vibration on hard acceleration on my ZCP. My VIN doesn't fall inline for the diff recall, but I'm having the symptoms now at 4300 miles.

She's going into the dealership next Tuesday, so we'll see what the diff fluid looks like and go from there.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2016, 07:45 AM   #43
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Ohh now your story has changed...

Like I said, if you have a Steering wheel vibration/shaking it is not differential related.

Just as JoefromPA stated, if you have a vibration in your seat, floor, throughout the car etc, like you now state that "your whole car felt like it was going to fall apart" Then absolutely it can be the differential. And you say I contradicted myself.....
Uhm actually I didnt. Show me where I said I had vibration only in my steering wheel.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2016, 10:35 AM   #44
Sedan_Clan
Law Enforcer
Brazil
Rep
Drives: '22 Chalk Gray Porsche C2S

Quote:
That's not only though; he was saying "in addition to".

Last edited by Sedan_Clan; 12-02-2016 at 11:03 AM..
Appreciate 1
dmk087315.00