R44 Performance
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3 / M4 Photos and Videos

06-25-2014, 08:42 PM   #89
rubber_ducky
Colonel
Rep
Drives: roach coach

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinim3 View Post
Yeah they are 19s but the take rate on the 19s is extremely small as most get the 20s (they come with the titanium pckg blah blah blah).

I don't know which tires come with the 19s but I'm almost positive it's not Michelin PSSs otherwise every one of the RS5s would be getting those.

I personally hate the stock Pirellis. When I switched my S4 out from the stock Contis to PSSs my cornering speeds went from 130 to 155mph...NO JOKE it makes a HUGE difference.
Where are you cornering at 130/155mph on street tires?
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2014, 09:30 PM   #90
onatuesday
Captain
Rep
Drives: Hyundai

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_ducky View Post
Where are you cornering at 130/155mph on street tires?
It's a long sweeper so not a true corner like you're thinking of (sorry if that was misleading). I used to race formula cars for fun and used to have a scca and asa comp license so I assure you my statement is factual. It was precisely at that moment when I was going 155mph (electronic speed limited) on a long sweeper in a stock S4 (minus lightweight wheels/upgraded brakes) that I became a BIG fan of Audi and the quattro torque vectoring system. I literally remember screaming in astonishment for a good 10 mins at what a set of Michelin PSSs + Quattro could do.

That's why I always say BMWs will amaze you with their ability to slip but Audis will amaze you with their ability to grip. And it's not something you'll really notice until you've had enough time to build trust with the car. So I can understand why so many ppl on here have a hard time believing Audis are awesome because when I first had the S4 (after owning a e92 M) I sort of hated it until I realized that I could corner at speeds I never imagined were possible. I actually am still building that trust with the RS5 now but at least it sounds delicious. My M4 arrives in August. We shall see if she can tear me back to BMW
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2014, 09:44 PM   #91
dreamspeed
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT

The RCF doesn't come out till Fall
      06-25-2014, 10:01 PM   #92
paddy335
Major
Rep
Drives: M140i;X5 40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinim3 View Post
I literally remember screaming in astonishment for a good 10 mins at what a set of Michelin PSSs + Quattro could do.
How was your larynx after that?
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2014, 10:20 PM   #93
soooma
///MD
United_States
Rep
Drives: M5 F90

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN_3 View Post
Auto Express puts the M4 on its test track versus the Audi RS5...and even compares the lap time to the Cayman S.

Nice to watch
Another win fkr BMW regardless M4 or M5/6 -
Since I have an M5 not M4 but been considering the M4 but it seems too much of a track car for my humble driving skills -
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2014, 10:30 PM   #94
DieGrüneHölle
Colonel
Rep
Drives: M

RC-F is going to be a big fatty pig.

est weight 3,968 lbs.
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2014, 11:06 PM   #95
Holset
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Comp LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddy335 View Post
Was just complimenting the GT3, using some exaggeration. Obviously that is not all it shows.
Ok
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2014, 11:27 PM   #96
mPlasticDesign
Major General
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i Msport w/LSD
Location: Astral Projecting: ∞ 23.516 -122 02.625 0242.101 ĕv'rē-hwâr'

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSteve5036
Doesnt look like he was beating on the brakes for a while before the hot lap but I wonder how much the CCBs changed the laptime
The CC brakes were the biggest factor in the lap time difference IMO.
      06-25-2014, 11:51 PM   #97
Kadema
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: 123d

To all who say it us useless to compare the m4 to the same price, same category RS5 until the new model comes out: Would you agree it's also useless to buy the RS5 until then?
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2014, 12:01 AM   #98
onatuesday
Captain
Rep
Drives: Hyundai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kadema View Post
To all who say it us useless to compare the m4 to the same price, same category RS5 until the new model comes out: Would you agree it's also useless to buy the RS5 until then?
Well yeah it is actually. Unless you preferred the RS5's timeless looks or muscle sound or all year drivability or naturally aspirated v8 with a screaming 8500 rpm redline . Not too mention the RS5 is limited production and will hold its value MUCH better than a 1st year production M car. But the M4 is faster on the track.

To be clear if I were a new buyer in the market I'd personally go for the M4 simply because it's newer (audi wasn't even supposed to be selling the RS5 anymore). However once the updated competition comes out then consumers really have choices if they need 4 seats +luxury+performance. Right now m4 is the only one on the block

Last edited by onatuesday; 06-26-2014 at 12:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2014, 12:10 AM   #99
Killer-Bimmer
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E60 M5 & '12 128i ZSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinim3
Is there a reason why the RS5 is the favorite punching bag of all the european journalists? Auto express has been hating on the RS5 since it first came out. To them if it can't slide then it's no fun. Put the M4 up against a C63 507 or an E92 and tell us something we don't already know
Haha for the same reason us old E60 guys get beat up all the time. It's standard fare. All the GM fans "oh look we bought an M5 placed it in the corner reverse engineered changed it to the American GM buyer likes an then say look at us we beat what you already designed"

Don't get me wrong I think M has done a great job with all the things that are working against them. But this is a standard fare. Don't worry though when the new RS5 comes out the M4 will be garbage.

At the end of the day though I'll take any of them well except a GM product.....
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2014, 01:25 AM   #100
Holset
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Comp LCI

Here is my take on the M4/M3 competitors.

Some people seems to forget that M3/M4 is based on BMW AG's regular 3 and 4 series which in turn is basically the same cars underneath.

The BMW M then make some modifications to the standard chassis and develops some new parts and tune them for the cars to make them more sporty ect ,the same is done at for example Audi RS and Mercedes AMG.

This ensures if not to heavily modified that the standard versatility is still intact and i guess this is why so many people like these type of cars.

So i think the competitors for the M3/M4 is Audi RS5/RS4, Mercedes C63 AMG sedan/coupe, Lexus RCF/IS F, Cadillac ATS-V and maybe some future Jaguar based on the coming XE model.

I dont think the for example Porsche 911 or Corvette C7 is M3/M4 competitors those cars are dedicated bespoke sportcars built from the ground up to be sportcars.
Look for example at the Corvette C7 bespoke aluminium chassis thats a long way from regular 3/4 series chassis.
When building a dedicated sportcar mostly it results in a faster car than one based on a regular family car.
But of course there are drawbacks when you built a dedicated sportcar you lose some of that versatility and comfort,interior space,luggage space, number of seats, to low ground clearance ect often a standard based car can bring all days all year round.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2014, 05:10 AM   #101
neverbeentoofast
Private
Germany
Rep
Drives: 35i e93

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlobalScientist View Post
Okay. This video plus the thread on that BMW that crashed got me thinking. That driver in the video was drifting and if it was an average driver, he/she could have ended up hitting a tree or getting into an accident. I think for the daily driving, you're not going to drift on the local roads. I own a Audi S5, so I take for granted the traction on the turns. I'm an above averaging commuting driver, but it looks like it'll be a good idea for me to sign up for performance driving school when I get the M4 in. Goood reality check for me! I don't intend to go tracking that often, but I think in cases when I might "accidentally" drift, at least I'll know what to do.

Not drifting on local roads as a commuter?

Oh - yes - you are

At least the author of these lines

No one needs 4wheeldrive as a DD if you are not living in anchorage
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2014, 05:20 AM   #102
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSteve5036 View Post
Doesnt look like he was beating on the brakes for a while before the hot lap but I wonder how much the CCBs changed the laptime
Over a single lap, the CCB probably don't make any difference.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2014, 05:23 AM   #103
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by milhouse View Post
The rs5 is also a good car. Nothing wrong with it, just not great. Why do Audi I the dtm race cars with rwd, not Quattro...
Because of regulation...
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2014, 05:25 AM   #104
SOM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: SO F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
Over a single lap, the CCB probably don't make any difference.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2014, 05:32 AM   #105
GlobalScientist
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M4 Vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by neverbeentoofast View Post
Not drifting on local roads as a commuter?

Oh - yes - you are

At least the author of these lines

No one needs 4wheeldrive as a DD if you are not living in anchorage
In winter weather on snow or ice with the high torque might be fun with the m4, but any audi would prevail...
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2014, 05:43 AM   #106
dhoggm3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 850i C, Gated R8 5.2, E63

Audi still offers the RS5 new. Not so the E92. Let's face it, BMW has just re-set the performance bar. Just as it did with the E36 M3. It's good to be back.

Would have been fun if this were an M3 not an M4 - the family sedan takes on the killer coupe, and wins.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2014, 06:48 AM   #107
Ducfan
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

The performance capabilities of ALL cars is compressing and plateauing. There simply is not a real difference among all top tier performance cars any more. Those of us that track our cars, at least stock cars, only leave the track with a smile....no prize money. The driver means far more than any difference established among the top 20 stock cars. And if you are a good driver and want to absolutely smoke any showroom stock vehicle with a good driver it is relatively easy to do. And you typically don't need to or wouldn't want to start with any of these current gen vehicles (you could just that your total cost is higher).

I love amost all cars audis, mercs Porsches, - pick the one that speaks to you and go have fun.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2014, 06:54 AM   #108
yoelev
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by paddy335 View Post
As for the drifting.....all I see when I see these reviewers doing this ad nauseum is a car and tyres being tortured in order to get around a corner slower than you could without said torture. Makes no sense other than as a silly marketing show-boat.
as much as the purists hate it, it really is a skill. the greatest drivers/reviewers out there can do it. and it's realllllllly not easy. I think it shows the ability to control cars like this beyond the limit.

when you go to the performance school they take you on the irrigated circle and make you feel what it's like to lose the back end and to "CPR" (control, pause, recover). drifting is the further iteration of this technique. it makes a lot of sense in that regard
      06-26-2014, 07:28 AM   #109
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Metak2you View Post
The CC brakes were the biggest factor in the lap time difference IMO.
Not if what they did was a warm up lap and then a flying lap. The CCB will only given better results when the standard brakes begin to become heat challenged. However, after a couple of laps, the two would have identical stopping power.
2015 M4 | Austin Yellow | DCT
2012 MB C63AMG | 2011 E92 M3 | 2010 E92 M3
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2014, 07:40 AM   #110
paddy335
Major
Rep
Drives: M140i;X5 40d

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoelev View Post
as much as the purists hate it, it really is a skill. the greatest drivers/reviewers out there can do it. and it's realllllllly not easy. I think it shows the ability to control cars like this beyond the limit.

when you go to the performance school they take you on the irrigated circle and make you feel what it's like to lose the back end and to "CPR" (control, pause, recover). drifting is the further iteration of this technique. it makes a lot of sense in that regard
Oh I completely understand and appreciate the skill, I've been to drifting events. My point was what are journos trying to prove putting road cars through those kinds of displays other than our gratuitous entertainment.
Appreciate 0