ARMA SPEED
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

11-01-2014, 04:09 PM   #1
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

M3 Gets Panned in Evo Car of the Year test (ECOTY)

Granted, it faced some stiff competition (458 Speciale, 650S, Cayman GTS), but out of 10 cars, it ended up finishing 9th, besting only the Audi S1. It got creamed by the Golf R for chrissakes.

They really got on it's ride and handling as being unsorted. I've heard similar criticisms from Brit mags before. No time to upload the full article, I've snipped the excerpts from the test, and the final verdict and standings.

I have to say, while I'm not surprised at a bottom 5 finish against such focused and pedigreed competition, I am a little shocked at how low it finished. And why. The last thing I would have thought was that it was unsettled, unpredictable, or ragged. Yet that's what it was called. I've got a lot of respect for this group of journos, too. They usually call it pretty straight.

Appreciate 0
      11-01-2014, 04:22 PM   #2
Mandi90TT
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 6MT M4 F82

That's a tough group of cars, but the thing the knocked the M on (suspension) goes against what almost every other journalist is saying. Ah well.
      11-01-2014, 04:28 PM   #3
shortseller
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 ABM F80ZCP/dct

Seems to me the adaptive suspension was not to their liking. Sport + to hard, sport to soft. Wonder how passive would have faired as it sits between the two, tuned for the chassis.

Last edited by shortseller; 11-01-2014 at 04:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2014, 04:32 PM   #4
Brosef
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

hard to take these results seriously considering the ordering overall. I love the F Type Coupe and all, but there's no way it should ever finish ahead of a McLaren 650S and Aston Vanquish. give me a break. same goes for the VW and Renaultsport
Appreciate 1
      11-01-2014, 04:48 PM   #5
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brosef
hard to take these results seriously considering the ordering overall. I love the F Type Coupe and all, but there's no way it should ever finish ahead of a McLaren 650S and Aston Vanquish. give me a break. same goes for the VW and Renaultsport
Guess you are unfamiliar with Evo and the nature of ECOTY. It's not about the fastest, flashes or biggest numbers. It's about emotion, a complete package and the sensation of being a pure driver's car, even if that means a sub 300 HP FWD hatch beats a Macca. That's why I like the test. It's not just about the numbers.

I probably should clip the whole article but no time now.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2014, 05:31 PM   #6
shortseller
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ‘18 ABM F80ZCP/dct

Saw a 458 Especiale today parked near News Cafe on Ocean Drive in South Beach FL, couldn't believe my eyes as I know they are all sold out but then again it is South Beach! Looked really awesome!
      11-01-2014, 05:46 PM   #7
SakhirM4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 SO M4/'20 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2020 BMW Z4 M40i  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [8.76]
I don't put much stock in someone that calls it a "beemer".
Tejas Chapter, BMW CCA, mem #23915, President 27 years, www.tejaschapter.org
Appreciate 1
      11-01-2014, 06:20 PM   #8
ASAP
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X3 M40i

So I only see one real competitor in there to the M3 and that is the F-Type... I'd like to know how it scored so much higher.
      11-01-2014, 06:26 PM   #9
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

I think they were a bit harsh on the 458 Speciale. Oh sorry, I thought I saw a 2 there. Puih, they got it right.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2014, 06:57 PM   #10
M3OW
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Bmw f80 m3 on radar

Wow who would ever have though an m3 would come next to last in a comparison. An m3 not precise? This would have been blasphemy years ago as the m3 was known for being a precise driving tool. So what is going on here? Has the new m3 really lost its way? My lease on my s4 is coming to an end and I have no idea what 4 door car to get next. Nothing seems very driver focused and exciting anymore. I wish I could test drive the damn thing, these SoCal dealerships are so snobby.
      11-01-2014, 08:50 PM   #11
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3OW View Post
Wow who would ever have though an m3 would come next to last in a comparison. An m3 not precise? This would have been blasphemy years ago as the m3 was known for being a precise driving tool. So what is going on here? Has the new m3 really lost its way? My lease on my s4 is coming to an end and I have no idea what 4 door car to get next. Nothing seems very driver focused and exciting anymore. I wish I could test drive the damn thing, these SoCal dealerships are so snobby.
Everyone has their own opinion, but....

Mine, is that this car has a much better suspension and body control than prior gens. I have tracked e46, e92, 1m and f8x.

My opinion is that despite the size, the f8x is the best track ready car out of the box and is much faster and fun to drive than the prior gen to me. The 1m was exciting as well, but not nearly as capable as the f8x
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2014, 08:55 PM   #12
M3OW
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyPowers View Post
Everyone has their own opinion, but....

Mine, is that this car has a much better suspension and body control than prior gens. I have tracked e46, e92, 1m and f8x.

My opinion is that despite the size, the f8x is the best track ready car out of the box and is much faster and fun to drive than the prior gen to me. The 1m was exciting as well, but not nearly as capable as the f8x
I finally had the chance to drive the new m3 after 5 months of trying to drive the car. I like the sound, I like the torque but the throttle response is pretty disappointing compared to previous m3's. It just doesn't feel like an m car.

You don't get the snap reaction instant response that plants you in your seat right when you hit the throttle. It's not razor sharp and I was pretty disappointed overall. I will say that I did not drive it long enough to make a final judgement, so I have yet decided what my next sports sedan will be. My goal will be to rent one for a couple days to really get a good feel for the car.
      11-01-2014, 09:15 PM   #13
dkhm3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GT3 2020 X3MC

Quote:
I finally had the chance to drive the new m3 after 5 months of trying to drive the car. I like the sound, I like the torque but the throttle response is pretty disappointing compared to previous m3's. It just doesn't feel like an m car.

You don't get the snap reaction instant response that plants you in your seat right when you hit the throttle. It's not razor sharp and I was pretty disappointed overall. I will say that I did not drive it long enough to make a final judgement, so I have yet decided what my next sports sedan will be. My goal will be to rent one for a couple days to really get a good feel for the car.
Sounds like you drove one of those 328i's with a M badge. I don't understand where you are coming from at all. I have driven 550 miles now on my M and I am following break in procedure. I have pushed it little by little - keeping it under 4.5k rpm and it is strong. Comparing it with my old AMG, it is strong. I can't wait for WOT.

Previously:
1999 M3 2002 M3 2005 S4 2008 C63 2015 M3 2016 X5M 2019 911S
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2014, 09:17 PM   #14
myzmak
Advocatus Douchebagus. Sex Marxist.
Canada
Rep
Drives: Lucy.

Garage List
2015 F80 M3  [10.00]
2013 MB E350 Wagon  [10.00]
Interesting read, but 12 responses is telling me the F8x nation is not exactly in an existential crisis over a British magazine doing a Brit-heavy review.
      11-01-2014, 09:27 PM   #15
V1.47fan
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: TheArtist formerly known as M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
Guess you are unfamiliar with Evo and the nature of ECOTY. It's not about the fastest, flashes or biggest numbers. It's about emotion, a complete package and the sensation of being a pure driver's car, even if that means a sub 300 HP FWD hatch beats a Macca. That's why I like the test. It's not just about the numbers.

I probably should clip the whole article but no time now.
Maybe it's a European thing but state side most drivers I know love massive low end torque in a car that's also the complete package with great mpg and great cabin sound.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2014, 09:29 PM   #16
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:

I can't say I share those impressions, nor did anyone at our track day, including my buddy with a gt3. I have zero complaints with the engine or throttle response on street or track (6mt). My only track related issues are that the car is big, and probably too heavy to be ideal for the track. But it's a 4 door do it all car, and it's the best blend ive found.

But not every car is perfect for everyone, so to each their own. I'm not going to try to convince you otherwise, it's just an opinion
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2014, 09:32 PM   #17
M3OW
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyPowers View Post
I can't say I share those impressions, nor did anyone at our track day, including my buddy with a gt3. My only track related issues are that the car is big, and probably too heavy to be ideal for the track. But it's a 4 door do it all car, and it's the best blend ive found.

But not every car is perfect for everyone, so to each their own. I'm not going to try to convince you otherwise, it's just an opinion
Yes I bet I would have a much different impression driving the car on the track or through the canyons. That's my next goal, hopefully before my lease is up.
      11-01-2014, 09:40 PM   #18
bronch
Waiting for the sun
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240ix

Quote:
...You don't get the snap reaction instant response that plants you in your seat right when you hit the throttle. It's not razor sharp and I was pretty disappointed overall...
I agree with most of what you said except this, but I've never driven an Audi or AWD. I really do like my E92 M3 and was thinking of just keeping it. I drove the F82 M4 and the increase in trq is obviously noticeable in comparison. Much faster off the line from a stop in comparing the 2 RWD cars. Although subjective, I think the interior as much better as I felt mine was dated even when I bought it. My iDrive system sucks and the NAV is laughable it's so bad. I think the new system is quicker and has a better user interface. I can't confirm, but I heard the NAV is much better as well. The sound. Well, it's silly to think an i6tt is going to sound like a NA V8. It doesn't. But, I agree, it doesn't sound bad at all, just really different. The car just didn't "speak" to me enough for now and I'm passing on it. I'll be waiting to see what they do next.

I've looked at so many different cars and I still came back to BMW because I like the styling. Love the E63 motor and the RS7 motor and AWD, but don't like the looks as much. I need a little bigger car than I have, so went with M5. Good luck in your search. Cayman is an awesome driver's car btw.
2018 M240ix- Daily driver. Still Woohoo!
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2014, 09:55 PM   #19
M3OW
Private First Class
Rep

Bronch I don't think bmw will offer anything like the e92 m3 anymore. The response and excitement just isn't what it used to be. Maybe in a few years they'll make an exciting hybrid with electric turbos but in the meantime I think we're stuck with these kind of cars. The first time I drove the e92 m3 I fell in love and bought one with no hesitation. As of right now I do not have similar feelings with the new m3. But it may be that I just need more seat time in the car.

My supercharged s4 has a much sharper throttle response. The power delivery is predictable and way more responsive than the f8x. Maybe I'll wait for the b9 s4 I hear they are retaining the supercharger in the next car.

My cayman GTS is probably going to be my last sports car and I love it and enjoy it very much. But my family is growing and priorities are slowly changing. I don't think there are any modern cars right now that are as visceral and fun to drive as the cayman IMO.
      11-01-2014, 10:06 PM   #20
bronch
Waiting for the sun
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240ix

Quote:
Bronch I don't think bmw will offer anything like the e92 m3 anymore...

My cayman GTS is probably going to be my last sports car and I love it and enjoy it very much. But my family is growing and priorities are slowly changing. I don't think there are any modern cars right now that are as visceral and fun to drive as the cayman IMO.
Agree, but holding out for a new NA V8 that meets emissions requirements... lol. Perhaps that's fools gold, but still hoping. Shoot, even posrche and probably ferrari are going to all turbos. The world is coming to an end I was so close to getting a new new GT3, but just too impractical for me right now. I make decent money, but can't afford 3 nice cars. I drove the Caymen S and the chassis on that thing was ridiculous. It may not have all the numbers people like, but in the twisties or on a track that thing is awesome.
2018 M240ix- Daily driver. Still Woohoo!
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2014, 10:16 PM   #21
M3OW
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bronch View Post
Agree, but holding out for a new NA V8 that meets emissions requirements... lol. Perhaps that's fools gold, but still hoping. Shoot, even posrche and probably ferrari are going to all turbos. The world is coming to an end I was so close to getting a new new GT3, but just too impractical for me right now. I make decent money, but can't afford 3 nice cars. I drove the Caymen S and the chassis on that thing was ridiculous. It may not have all the numbers people like, but in the twisties or on a track that thing is awesome.
I'm in the same boat. I make a good living but my priorities have changed. I am not going to have more than one car for myself going forward. I will have a few more months of fun with the cayman. I intend to track it a few times before selling it and sticking to just one car that does everything great. That is the dilemma right now as I can not find that car anymore. I would buy a pre owned e90 m3 if I wasn't so turned off by the rear aesthetics of the car. I would buy a pre owned c63 if it had a decent transmission. I'll wait a bit and see if I could find something that fits my needs and excites me all at the same time.

It's unfortunate but I think the days of NA Is indeed coming to an end. Bmw my favorite brand has decided to turbocharge every single car they manufacturer so now they have made it very hard for me to buy into the brand again. I'm still hoping the new m3 will grow on me with more seat time..... We'll see.
      11-01-2014, 10:25 PM   #22
M3OW
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkhm3 View Post
Sounds like you drove one of those 328i's with a M badge. I don't understand where you are coming from at all. I have driven 550 miles now on my M and I am following break in procedure. I have pushed it little by little - keeping it under 4.5k rpm and it is strong. Comparing it with my old AMG, it is strong. I can't wait for WOT.
I'm not discounting its performance capabilities and I know it's a strong powerful car. My post was in regards to the emotional experience. The responsiveness and the visceral connected feeling of the car has been lost from previous generations. I'm fine with the numb steering, I'm used to driving an eps equipped s4. It's more about the engine to me, But there are still aspects of the car which I really like. IMO there is no car that can match Bmw in terms of interior build quality and Idrive is more intuitive than anything else out there by far.

Last edited by M3OW; 11-01-2014 at 10:32 PM..
Appreciate 0