BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   7Post - 7 Series Forum > BMW 7-Series Forums > (G11) 7-series General Discussions

11-02-2015, 08:47 AM   #1
YungDro
Major
Rep
Drives: -

Thumbs up BMW 7 Series: Smarter Than You & Luxury In Every Detail - XCAR

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
thread closed....

Last edited by YungDro; 12-10-2019 at 05:00 PM..
Appreciate 2
      11-02-2015, 08:55 AM   #2
YungDro
Major
Rep
Drives: -

thread closed....

Last edited by YungDro; 12-10-2019 at 05:00 PM..
Appreciate 2
      11-08-2015, 02:49 PM   #3
FilipMPower
Second Lieutenant
Serbia
Rep
Drives: Anything with a locking diff

I believe that this new 7 Series is better than the S class in almost every way, even if it is only slightly better overall. It is basically as comfortable and luxurious, if not more, than the S class (when the right options are ticked), but still offers the dynamic side.

However People will never agree and accept this, so they will always keep the crown to the S class. Same thing with the 3 series. I believe that the 3 series is class leader right now, but even if someone would make a better car, it wouldn't be announced better than the 3 series.
Appreciate 3
      11-08-2015, 02:56 PM   #4
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

Wunderbar.

Thanks for posting fine sir !
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2015, 03:40 PM   #5
Nomana
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW

There is a tail pipe in a tail pipe?
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2015, 03:57 PM   #6
versailles
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F32

I love it, the looks are class leading for me
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2015, 04:31 PM   #7
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
I think the review is accurate. Is the 7er better than the S-Class? That remains to be seen but this has been BMW best effort in a while making the 7er an actual competitor to the S-Class.
Appreciate 1
      11-08-2015, 04:43 PM   #8
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by YungDro View Post
Best review I have seen for the new 7 series but I think the reviewer has forgot that BMW owns Rolls Royce.. same group etc
Not sure what you mean by that.

It doesn't compete with RR because it's about 1/2 the price of a Ghost and 1/3 the price of a Phantom.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2015, 05:24 PM   #9
goj
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 EBII 340i 6-MT

Everything is on par or better than the S class in my opinion. The S class is too much of an old soul. Very nice and luxurious but not interesting to me.
BMW CCA Member #516012
2016 340i, Estoril Blue, Manual Transmission, MPE, MPBBK, HRE FF04
Instagram: @brandons340i
Appreciate 1
      11-08-2015, 06:56 PM   #10
JUSTIN335
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 535i m-sport

I sat in one at the dealer and it was very nice. Then I saw one driving on the road and I barely noticed it. It's not a head turner, but not everyone wants it to be.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2015, 09:10 PM   #11
YoungOG08
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 540XI

I like it!!! I like it!!! I fucking like it!!
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2015, 09:10 PM   #12
SpenceRx
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 330i EBII

Great video. The new 7 is quite the machine.
      11-08-2015, 09:13 PM   #13
YoungOG08
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 540XI

Bad thing is that I can't afford it!! I'm working with 5 series money!! :
Appreciate 1
      11-08-2015, 09:55 PM   #14
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

I absolutely love the car.

Black Beauty !
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2015, 08:27 AM   #15
RazBimmer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M4

Amazing car!!
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2015, 08:33 AM   #16
AHall
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 1993 Nissan 240sx

For me it is a matter of reliability. I tend to keep cars for a long time, and I simply do not trust BMW reliability.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2015, 09:58 AM   #17
JRobUSC
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mineral Gray 2019 330i xDrive

Spent some time in a new S-class the other day, and honestly it was a huge let down. The media had made it sound like the S-class was this "almost Bentley/Rolls" level car, so my expectations were high. When I got in, my first thought looking at the dash was "is this fake wood? It looks like fake wood. Stitched surface on top of the dash is fake leather. Why are all the buttons and switches flat black plastic? Everything in the 7-Series is metal. Hell, most of the buttons in the C-class are metal."

For a $119k vehicle, I was extremely disappointed. The car rode well (it is smoother than the 7-Series), but the 7-Series is not far off and drives better, and absolutely kills it inside.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2015, 11:08 AM   #18
paul223
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRobUSC
Spent some time in a new S-class the other day, and honestly it was a huge let down. The media had made it sound like the S-class was this "almost Bentley/Rolls" level car, so my expectations were high. When I got in, my first thought looking at the dash was "is this fake wood? It looks like fake wood. Stitched surface on top of the dash is fake leather. Why are all the buttons and switches flat black plastic? Everything in the 7-Series is metal. Hell, most of the buttons in the C-class are metal."

For a $119k vehicle, I was extremely disappointed. The car rode well (it is smoother than the 7-Series), but the 7-Series is not far off and drives better, and absolutely kills it inside.
I think the metal buttons might be an option, MB started those, I believe.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2015, 10:40 AM   #19
TheBry
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 G12 750i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by YungDro View Post
Great video. Favorite quotes:

"...your automotive guardian angel: there, but in the background saving your ass when you need it to."

"Every aspect about the experience you have in this car has been thought of. Every little detail -- there's been someone working on it to make sure that the driver and the passenger have the best time possible. So no matter what your choice of luxury motor, no matter how you choose to spend your money; if you look at the 7-Series and you can't appreciate the effort that's gone into making this the loveliest place on the road -- then you're making a mistake."

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilipMPower View Post
I believe that this new 7 Series is better than the S class in almost every way, even if it is only slightly better overall. It is basically as comfortable and luxurious, if not more, than the S class (when the right options are ticked), but still offers the dynamic side.

However People will never agree and accept this, so they will always keep the crown to the S class. Same thing with the 3 series. I believe that the 3 series is class leader right now, but even if someone would make a better car, it wouldn't be announced better than the 3 series.
I know exactly what you're imparting here, FilipMPower, and agree. People who are predisposed to think one thing will continue to think it, regardless of the information they're presented with.

Indeed, when I first saw those dark, grainy loading-dock spy photos of a fully revealed G11 7-Series this time last year, I worried that the car hadn't changed enough. I worried that they hadn't taken the luxury game to a higher level. I even posted here that I was going to give the S-Class another consideration (in both sedan and coupe form). I tested both about a month apart from one another, and although I was impressed with the fit / finish / quality and tech, the interior and exterior styling of the S-Class simply didn't speak to me (the exterior of the coupe was stunning, but only from certain angles). In hindsight, I was completely wrong to have given up so quickly on the 7 based on silly spy photos. Having been invited to the unveiling here in San Francisco way back in June, and having been able to spend a LOT of time in and around the car, I agree with the reviewer in the video, and know beyond a doubt that it'll be the replacement for my current F02 740Li (except I'll step up to the 750i w X-Drive now that the efficiency has been improved).

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBingoBalls View Post
I think the review is accurate. Is the 7er better than the S-Class? That remains to be seen but this has been BMW best effort in a while making the 7er an actual competitor to the S-Class.
People who prefer the S-Class are going to prefer it -- nothing BMW does will change that (just as Mercedes couldn't change my mind about the 7). The S-Class, although a perfectly competent car, just didn't push my "driver-focused / sport" buttons like the 7. I'm also not a fan of the "melting scoop of ice cream" styling of the sedan (droopy front and rear ends).

Quote:
Originally Posted by AHall View Post
For me it is a matter of reliability. I tend to keep cars for a long time, and I simply do not trust BMW reliability.
AHall -- out of curiosity, have you ever owned a BMW? I ask because I've owned several and currently own a 2012 740Li which I've been using as my daily driver for over four years now (took delivery in Sept 2011 in Munich) and now have over 102,500 miles on the car. I drive the hell out of this thing. I keep it maintained per the maintenance computer and he's been rock-solid. I'd be interested in hearing what reliability issues you had with a BMW you may have owned.

Past: 2008 M3 (E93) naturally aspirated V8 realness!
Past: 2012 740Li (F02) M-Sport (European Delivery)
Present: 2016 750i (G12) M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2015, 12:06 PM   #20
FilipMPower
Second Lieutenant
Serbia
Rep
Drives: Anything with a locking diff

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBry View Post

I know exactly what you're imparting here, FilipMPower, and agree. People who are predisposed to think one thing will continue to think it, regardless of the information they're presented with.

Indeed, when I first saw those dark, grainy loading-dock spy photos of a fully revealed G11 7-Series this time last year, I worried that the car hadn't changed enough. I worried that they hadn't taken the luxury game to a higher level. I even posted here that I was going to give the S-Class another consideration (in both sedan and coupe form). I tested both about a month apart from one another, and although I was impressed with the fit / finish / quality and tech, the interior and exterior styling of the S-Class simply didn't speak to me (the exterior of the coupe was stunning, but only from certain angles). In hindsight, I was completely wrong to have given up so quickly on the 7 based on silly spy photos. Having been invited to the unveiling here in San Francisco way back in June, and having been able to spend a LOT of time in and around the car, I agree with the reviewer in the video, and know beyond a doubt that it'll be the replacement for my current F02 740Li (except I'll step up to the 750i w X-Drive now that the efficiency has been improved).

Glad to hear that you made your decision for the new 7 series, an amazing car. I too am not overly fond of the s-class. My friend drives the s-class and eventhough the ride is supple, the seats are comfortable, it just feels wrong looking at the interior design with juxtaposition of the curving surfaces but hard edges, as well as the awkward circular vents. I sat more in the rear than in the front and at first I'm excited but the excitement is taken away just after a few drives in the car. I realised the flawed interior design language, always being an elephant in the room which I didn't want to point out. Same with the exterior, eventhough with AMG package and wheels it is more appealing.

I might be interested for the new 7 series as I'm going to have to say farewell to my E65. Around facelift time I might consider it, but my goal right now is a sporty, small car.
Appreciate 1
elitex1229.50
      11-10-2015, 02:47 PM   #21
JNoSol
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 750 MSPORT & E90M3

I drove the new 7, it's just awesome. BMW finally gives Merc S-Class a car it cannot beat. Exterior, interior, and technology is just top notch. It's super classy, yet sporty to drive. I had an F02 750Li, this is so much better in every way.

The only car I would swap my X5M for now is an Alpina B7.
      11-11-2015, 11:09 PM   #22
raysspl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: walking, bicycle, & bus

I love BMWs & all but is it smarter than a Tesla? NO.