GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

02-23-2016, 08:24 AM   #1
whoisjulian
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: MY17 M4 F83

Garage List
2014 BMW i3  [0.00]
2016 BMW M4 F83  [0.00]
2016 BMW X4 M40i  [0.00]
Arrow Competition Package Reviews

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
Just found first reviews of the competition package:

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/bmw/4-s...ck-2016-review

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-rev...e-2016-review/

http://www.whatcar.com/car-news/bmw/...review/1367345

http://www.topgear.com/car-reviews/m3/first-drive
Appreciate 8
      02-23-2016, 08:59 AM   #2
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoisjulian View Post
Just found a first review of the competition package:

Lots of promising things said there in regards to the car feeling more alive since that's my no 1 complaint.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2016, 09:30 AM   #3
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: SMB M3 CP with lots of carbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoisjulian
Just found a first review of the competition package:

Are you still able to see this? Can't get access in UK??
San Marino Blue M3 Competition Package with Carbon tat, ACS RS suspension, uprated brakes, 'modded' exhaust and a weeny bit more power courtesy of JF Automotive; M235i Convertible with ACS Sports Suspension; Disco 5 HSE Lux
Appreciate 1
      02-23-2016, 09:35 AM   #4
Vocans
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Red tricycle

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/...on-pack-review

Seems to be great news overall, especially considering its autocar, whose initial reviews of the F80 weren't glowing.

Its addition doesn’t perhaps elevate the F80 to classic status, but the M3 feels like a far more complete and likeable solution than it did previously - and while we wait for Audi and Jaguar to see to the new A4 and XE, the M3 Competition Package is the compact sports saloon to beat.
      02-23-2016, 10:16 AM   #5
cipri
Q3D
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Garage List
2015 F80 M3  [0.00]
2009 E92 M3 6MT  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtsussex View Post
Are you still able to see this? Can't get access in UK??
they removed the page?
can you copy and paste for us the article? thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2016, 10:19 AM   #6
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vocans View Post
http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/...on-pack-review

Seems to be great news overall, especially considering its autocar, whose initial reviews of the F80 weren't glowing.

Its addition doesn’t perhaps elevate the F80 to classic status, but the M3 feels like a far more complete and likeable solution than it did previously - and while we wait for Audi and Jaguar to see to the new A4 and XE, the M3 Competition Package is the compact sports saloon to beat.
Damn it, now the link doesn't work. I would really like to read that.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2016, 10:23 AM   #7
Vocans
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Hah, maybe Autoexpress released their review early which caused Autocar to put theirs up thinking they could be released.
      02-23-2016, 10:26 AM   #8
Vocans
Second Lieutenant
Rep

http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...&ct=clnk&gl=us

Here's a cached version of the autoexpress review, hopefully this works.
      02-23-2016, 10:30 AM   #9
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:

Perfect - thank you! Yes Autocar have pulled theirs down as well!
San Marino Blue M3 Competition Package with Carbon tat, ACS RS suspension, uprated brakes, 'modded' exhaust and a weeny bit more power courtesy of JF Automotive; M235i Convertible with ACS Sports Suspension; Disco 5 HSE Lux
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2016, 10:32 AM   #10
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:

There won't be too many people who drive a BMW M4 and think, no, not fast enough, not stiff enough, not thrilling enough to drive generally. But for those who want a little more madness from their M4 (or M3) then this new Competition Pack model could be just the touch.

And the best news of all is that it costs a mere £3,000 more than the standard M4 at £59,595. That's competitive enough, reckons BMW GB, to entice around 70 per cent of M4/M3 drivers to opt for the Competition Pack from now on.

Power rises by a small and not hugely significant 19bhp thanks to a minor redesign of the cylinder head, hiking the output from the 3.0-litre twin turbo straight six to 444bhp. Torque however remains the same at 550nm, as does the car's 1,422kg kerb weight.

This is sufficient to shave 0.1sec from the 0-62mph time (it drops to a faintly ridiculous 4.0sec with the optional DCT gearbox fitted, as in the test car) while economy remains unchanged at 34mpg on the combined cycle. Top speed stays limited to 155mph.

Outright performance is not chiefly what the Competition Pack version is all about however. Handling on the other hand is, hence the reason why the springs and dampers are stiffer all round, the tyres slightly wider, the electronic drive program recalibrated to deliver more thrusting responses whatever it is set to.

Similarly, the optional Adaptive Suspension becomes standard while the electronic differential has also been retuned, supposedly to deliver yet more traction in all of its settings. On a track this is exactly what it delivers. For a car that weighs less than 1,500kg, has this much torque and which is rear wheel drive, the M4 Competition does indeed generate monster grip on its new 20in wheels and tyres - so long as said track is dry and smooth of surface.

On the road, however, the car's extra suspension stiffness and minor increase in energy, mated to its more aggressive diff, means it can feel pretty lively at the rear end, even in the dry. And in the wet the traction control light flashes pretty much all the time in anything below fifth gear, with anything approaching a decent amount of throttle applied.

But then that's what the Competition Pack version of a car that was already, shall we say, entertaining at the rear end is inevitably destined to drive like. From the moment it starts to move the Competition M4 feels notably more energised, more alive beneath your backside, and for most of the time that's exactly how you'd want it to feel.

You don't really notice the extra performance, the engine maybe feels a touch more crazed over the final 1,000rpm as it homes in on the red line. But what you do notice immediately is the extra fizz from the suspension, a slightly sharper response from the steering (due to the suspension changes rather than any alteration of the steering system itself) and an increase in road noise, especially on coarse surfaces.Overall it's a step forwards dynamically, mainly because the Competition Pack mods make it feel more alive - more like a true blue M car if you will - compared with the regular version. But be under no illusion, there is a clear compromise in ride and noise refinement here. If you find the standard M4 close to the knuckle, the Competition Pack will be a step too far.

Elsewhere there are various styling tweaks to distinguish the Competition Pack, both inside and out. The major pointers are the new 20in quasi M4 GTS wheels, plus redesigned door mirrors and standard fit 'high gloss' interior trim.

To drive, the Competition Pack definitely feels superior in most ways compared with the regular version, and that's backed up by the way it looks, even the way it sounds, thanks to its standard fit sports exhaust. Together, such upgrades make the Competition seem like a bargain, even if they do place the M4 right on the cusp of what's acceptable when it comes to ride and noise refinement on the average UK road.

Verdict:
Early speculation suggested that the M4 Competition Pack might cost between five and six grand more than standard so a rise of just £3,000 makes it seem like a lot of car for the money. In most respects it delivers on its promise and then some, but as an everyday proposition the standard M4 might be a better bet if refined performance is what you seek. For the average M4 driver, though, the good bits must surely outweigh the less good. Which makes the Competition Pack the bargain of the range, so long as you can put up with the ride.

Last edited by W///; 02-23-2016 at 02:44 PM..
Appreciate 3
Seniorleb524.50
      02-23-2016, 10:38 AM   #11
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep

Autocar:

What is it?:

While the introduction of a Competition Package has become a traditional part of the M3 (and now M4) lifecycle, you could be forgiven for having forgotten. That’s because the earliest E46 edition was badged CS in the UK (a clever wheeze intended to highlight the model’s similarities with the low weight, very low volume and therefore highly sought after CSL), and the follow-up E90/E92 version - limited to shorter springs and a set of forged wheels - lacked the kind of consequential alterations that might have made it more memorable.

With the current F80/F82, M division has endeavored not to repeat the mistake. Notably, it has opted to increase output from the turbocharged 3.0-litre straight-six. That the gain is modest - just 19bhp - is less important than the fact of its inclusion: more is better in this class, and just as it helps distinguish the Competition Pack from the standard car, so the uprated 444bhp helps reduce the model’s headline deficiency versus the latest fire-breathing C63 AMG.

Elsewhere, new springs are again on the menu, but are accompanied this time by updated dampers and anti-roll bars - as well as a reconfiguring of the drive modes and stability control. The M sports exhaust is standard, as are the inevitably gargantuan, machine-polished 20in alloy wheels clad in Michelin Pilot Sport 3 tyres.

Special lightweight sports seats are also part of the deal, but a significant overall reduction in mass is not: confirmation that the Competition Package is assuredly more about gilding the lily than stripping it back to its elements.

What's it like?:

The standard car is a brusquely fast and fidgety thing; hugely talented, certainly - but all too often over-stimulated and short on polish.

The Competition Package, in the quest for greater dynamism (or, more plausibly, brisker lap times), irons out many of the kinks. Initially the suspension seems so stiff you find yourself tensing up just before the car comes into contact with cats eyes and speed humps - but the predicted jarring impact never comes. The tautness, it turns out, is not of the unyielding sort; in fact, it flexes as required.

By retaining this splendidly thin and tactile layer of compliance, the Competition Pack’s tacked-down firmness enhances the M3’s poise and composure. Nowhere is this more telling than in the realisation that its Sport Plus mode, previously an unrelenting suspension setting best reserved for the track, is not only selectable on British roads - but actively desirable.

Follow suit with the engine, gearbox and steering, and the saloon now hardens delectably - yet never becomes threatening; eschewing the standard M3's nervousness for a grippier, sharper, even more direct sense of control.

The greater straight-line speed implied by the Competition Pack (and quantified by a 0.1sec drop in 0-62mph time) is, of course, undetectable. But the car’s better management of the rear axle is not. Refinement of diff and ESP response compliment the beefier feel of the chassis; the warning light flutters less and the tail wags far more infrequently.

Impressively, the outcome doesn’t feel overly strangled - even if BMW has clearly opted to reduce the entertaining waywardness that can be coaxed from the standard car in its M Dynamic Mode.

Should I buy one?:

Throw in the swagger of bigger, shinier wheels, black gloss exterior trim and the slightly deeper melody of the sports exhaust, and the Competition Pack’s £3k premium easily qualifies as a no-brainer. Which is handy, because BMW expect as many as 80% of UK buyers to take up the option. We certainly would.

Last edited by W///; 02-23-2016 at 02:34 PM..
Appreciate 6
      02-23-2016, 10:47 AM   #12
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep

So two conflicting reports. One says the diff is more aggressive and the other says the diff is way better. The first report is by Sutcliffe whose daft comparison video of an M3 to the Alpina D3 (juste before he landed a D3 long termer from Alpina) made me lose faith in much of what he's done since. The fact that he doesn't know adaptive is standard fare on UK cars having tested them here is shameful and sloppy.
Appreciate 1
      02-23-2016, 01:25 PM   #13
kconner5
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 Manual (ZCP)

So glad I pulled the trigger on this package... My F80 went into production yesterday!
Appreciate 1
      02-23-2016, 01:37 PM   #14
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

This will be the biggest decision on my new car or not. I don't really think its worth it but the re-sale of ZCP cars seems to hold better. Now I just gotta go try the seats as a huge guy.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2016, 01:42 PM   #15
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep

I know there's a good chance that all the changes BMW did help make the car better, but I just wish I knew how much of it is from the wider tires and say the sway bars.

If a majority of it it is from that, then it would be quite easy to retrofit.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2016, 01:45 PM   #16
CanAutM3
General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 911 turbo

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
I know there's a good chance that all the changes BMW did help make the car better, but I just wish I knew how much of it is from the wider tires and say the sway bars.

If a majority of it it is from that, then it would be quite easy to retrofit.
I think it is the package as a whole that makes it better. All components working in unison .

Previous cars: M4cs 2019 F82 Limerock Grey / M4 2015 F82 Silverstone / M3 2008 E92 Silverstone / M3 2002 E46 Carbon Black
Appreciate 2
      02-23-2016, 01:58 PM   #17
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
This will be the biggest decision on my new car or not. I don't really think its worth it but the re-sale of ZCP cars seems to hold better. Now I just gotta go try the seats as a huge guy.
The ZCP's go for more money, but the strippers like you mentioned also hold their own.

You should see what slicktop, 6MT and cloth seats E46 M3's go for these days.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2016, 01:59 PM   #18
TN_3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 CS

Garage List
The mention of a ride not suited to anything less than perfect roads makes me think I made the right decision in not delaying my build to get the ZCP...this will be my DD, and AutoExpress made a point to mention several times the harshness of the ride.

But it seems to be an improvement from a sheer performance standpoint, and looks like a more efficient use of the car's power potential. Can't wait for the revised head to heads with the C63s, ATS-V, etc

2020 X5 M50i G05 l MW l BLACK l PREM l DHP l 22” l PARK l EXT S-LINE l LASER l TH l AG
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2016, 02:30 PM   #19
gtsussex
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
I think it is the package as a whole that makes it better. All components working in unison .
Completely with you which is why I am encouraged by the Autocar review as I really like what Nic Cackett writes generally on other reviews and he talks a lot of sense. Will be interested to see further reviews that come out as soon as embargo is lifted.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2016, 02:58 PM   #20
The D.A.
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Tundra, 2015 335i, 2015 R

Quote:
Originally Posted by kconner5
So glad I pulled the trigger on this package... My F80 went into production yesterday!
When did you place your order?
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2016, 03:14 PM   #21
kconner5
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F80 Manual (ZCP)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The D.A.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kconner5
When did you place your order?
About 3 weeks ago

Kyle
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2016, 03:17 PM   #22
Who's on first
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A-10C

Redesigned door mirrors???
Appreciate 0