BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications

10-08-2016, 03:18 PM   #23
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep
Drives: '24 GT4RS, '24 Macan GTS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by omasou
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcades View Post
Huper doesn't mess with anything.

Ceramic tints doesn't mess with anything. That has been said WAYY enough times by now that repeating it seems a bit stupid. It doesn't mess with HUD because HUD is reflecting off of the glass to you, it doesn't mess with your reception because it is Ceramic. It doesn't mess with anything. CA has nothing to do with Tints so I have no clue where you are even getting that idea from.

Please to other people asking, READ. Ceramic, doesn't mess with ANYTHING.

Thank you.

I think I should ask a mod to like plaster this on the front page so people would stop asking if Ceramic tint effects HUD or CA.
and which HO Ceramic do you have on which of your CA BMW cars?
I don't want to sound mean but do you know about tints?

HO is only my 3 series, Crystalline is on my M4 and I'm about to take it off for Crystalline because I prefer Crystalline over Huper.

How many times will it be said in this thread Tints has NOTHING to do with CA and HUD for people to understand? I'm honestly curious about where you are even getting this idea from that they would interfere.

Like Rich said, where would Tints interfere with opening your door? This isn't the 90s when tints are made with different material here. Stop trolling if you are.

edit: I'll explain slowly. While yes, Comfort Access does use certain ways to detect your key, these are located in the car itself (most likely on the door handle) not on the window. They will not be of an issue even if your tint interferes with radio signals which tints these days do not do. Ceramic or no, CA has nothing to do with your tint on windows. The HUD is a reflection off of your front windshield, the worse thing you do is tinting your front windshield dark and the HUD will just be darker because you tinted your front to look dark. That is it.

It. Doesn't. Interfere. If you did some research online, which isn't hard to do, this would be said many times across different forums.

Last edited by Arcades; 10-08-2016 at 03:40 PM..
Appreciate 1
Richy Rich3169.00
      10-08-2016, 04:56 PM   #24
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:

where would Tints interfere with opening your door?
No, you WANT the tint to interfere, you're not getting it

Appreciate 1
      10-08-2016, 06:16 PM   #25
omasou
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richy Rich View Post
Holy fuck just give up on tinting your car.

For your remedial clarification I have HO on my M4, fucking mo mo.

Should probably learn what comfort access is if you think window film interferes with opening your doors or starting your car. If you aren't trolling, lord help you.
Quote:
I don't want to sound mean but do you know about tints?

HO is only my 3 series, Crystalline is on my M4 and I'm about to take it off for Crystalline because I prefer Crystalline over Huper.

How many times will it be said in this thread Tints has NOTHING to do with CA and HUD for people to understand? I'm honestly curious about where you are even getting this idea from that they would interfere.

Like Rich said, where would Tints interfere with opening your door? This isn't the 90s when tints are made with different material here. Stop trolling if you are.

edit: I'll explain slowly. While yes, Comfort Access does use certain ways to detect your key, these are located in the car itself (most likely on the door handle) not on the window. They will not be of an issue even if your tint interferes with radio signals which tints these days do not do. Ceramic or no, CA has nothing to do with your tint on windows. The HUD is a reflection off of your front windshield, the worse thing you do is tinting your front windshield dark and the HUD will just be darker because you tinted your front to look dark. That is it.

It. Doesn't. Interfere. If you did some research online, which isn't hard to do, this would be said many times across different forums.
You two Richy Rich Arcades need to chill! and like other that I have found that say they have HO you did not say if you installed HO Xtreme (a dyed film), HO Ceramic (what I want) or HO Select (a metal film). Arcades I agree, the sensors are in the door handles and under the bumpers not sure how they could be impacted, which confuses me more. Beginning to think these older posts are not tint related but does not explain the HO techs response?

Take your own advice and try this in Google, huper optik bmw comfort access and you will find like I did that there were ~2 people that installed HO Ceramic that had issues with their CA. Problem is these are all older <= 2012 BMWs. Also if you like sports and listen to AM you may want to think twice about ceramic, find those posts yourself.

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...9#post17691159 <- Arcades post #169 saying he has not experienced issues but was starting hear of complaints w/HO

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=603763 <- video showing CA issue

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=652417

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=755722

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105769

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=214169

http://www.tintdude.com/forum/index....omfort-access/ <- this the last reply say some ceramic are still metallic

This fellow like you two got so pissed about the people complaining; but instead of belittling people he took the extra step and made 2 YouTube videos to specifically show that he did not have any HO related issues but he did not say if he has HO Xtreme (a dyed film) or HO Ceramic.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkQ...4MVJKaZGdNwNDA

This fellow had major problems with his CA (tint brand not specified) that after removing tint and having the dealer switch out sensors, etc. found out after way too much work (kudos to his dealer for not giving up) that the problem was with his CA control unit.

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1183093

To date I have found no one on the forums that have said I have HO Ceramic and have 0 issues. Not HO Select. Not HO Xtreme. I did find ONE 2014 M235i that has 35% HO Select Drei who said he has no problems. That film is the best that HO makes but it does have metal in it.

http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1010891

Instead I have people posting how I have this tint or that tint and have no problems. Well that's because the tint they are posting about is NOT ceramic. 3M Crystalline is NOT ceramic. LLumnar CTX is NOT ceramic. I have not dug deep enough so I'm not sure but I do not see where FormulaOne Pinnacle is ceramic or not. What I do know about FormulaOne Pinnacle is the spec sheet does NOT list IR rejection values. This paragraph is based on MY research. If these film are ceramic, please educate me.

There are IR rejection films out there that are not ceramic like Autobahn Performa, LLumnar CTX, FormulaOne Pinnacle (have not confirmed what it is), Wincos IR, etc that do a good job at rejecting IR but are only ~1/2 as effective as HO Ceramic and no where near as good as 3M Crystalline. I am not going with 3M Crystalline (again if you had read any of my posts) b/c one I cannot find an installer that I am confident in and b/c the color "can" scratch off.

For those that want to know. Most tint blocks UV but for the poor soles in TX, AZ and FL they also need to reject the IR which helps cool the car even more than normal UV rejection tint. Basically, good to better, Dyed tint -> IR Tint -> Ceramic Tint.

So before you accuse me of being a troll or not doing my home work maybe you should look at my posts and take the time to read.

If you have nothing to add and it looks as if you don't then skip the thread move on.

PS. If anyone reads this far and still doesn't understand how tint impact electronics or other technology is b/c the tint, dyed, metallic, ceramic, etc. reject various frequency of visible and non-visible light, e.g. UV, IR, etc. which sometime overlaps or somehow conflicts with other non-light frequencies, e.g. radio. Maybe we have a physicist that can help explain this better than me

UPDATE: HO Ceramic has a VERY WIDE IR rejection (don't have the specifics) and this is why it impacts radio wave which are right next to IR in the spectrum...

Last edited by omasou; 10-22-2016 at 07:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2016, 06:33 PM   #26
Richy Rich
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 | MKIV Supra | Aventador S

The fact that you actually expect anyone to read that, omasou, is the highlight of the thread.

I'll buy you a new drool bib to go with your new tint.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2016, 06:47 PM   #27
omasou
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Quote:
The fact that you actually expect anyone to read that, omasou, is the highlight of the thread.

I'll buy you a new drool bib to go with your new tint.
Well maybe if people took the time to read and post a well thought out response, I wouldn't need to work so hard to find what should be a simple answer.

Thanks for playing.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2016, 07:28 PM   #28
omasou
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
From one of our poster's favorite tint manufacture's web site...

http://www.premiermobilegroup.com/sp...stallers.shtml

*Following tint not carried by Premier*

CERAMIC FILMS / TINT
One of the more recent technological advancements came in the past 10 years. It was the creation of a product that properly solved the issues of metallic tints. Ceramic tint is capable of rejecting anywhere from 70%-80% (depending on the manufacturer of the product) of infrared rays (IR), this type of technology was important to the continual growth of the entire industry. Over the years of ceramic tints’ growth, it was later realized that some manufacturers’ ceramic products also had some metallic structure, which affected wireless signals (albeit, to a lesser degree compared to metallic tint). The relative higher reflectivity of some ceramic tints is also subjectively negative for vehicle owners.

and why is that important...

METALLIZED OR SPUTTERED FILMS /TINT
Metallic or sputtered tint was designed specifically to tackle the low heat rejection capabilities of dyed tint. With a metallic structure, its heat rejection is far superior to non-metallic tint. However, this comes with a sacrifice of it reducing and affecting wireless transmission signals such as AM / FM, radar, cellular, gps, keless entry, etc. This is important as auto manufacturers are using increasing wireless technology equipments in cars of today.

Maybe this is more digestible for you. Enjoy!

Last edited by omasou; 10-08-2016 at 07:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2016, 07:43 PM   #29
Richy Rich
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Pretty sure my favorite part of this thread is that we actually have HO on our cars, are saying it isn't an issue, and we're still being debated.
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2016, 07:45 PM   #30
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richy Rich
Pretty sure my favorite part of this thread is that we actually have HO on our cars, are saying it isn't an issue, and we're still being debated.
Hey man, conspiracy nuts are called that way for a reason.

Luckily for us only one person believes in that. Maybe.
      10-08-2016, 08:17 PM   #31
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by omasou View Post
From one of our poster's favorite tint manufacture's web site...
I think what the others might be pointing out is that:

(a) There's a heirarchy to materials and phenomena that can affect electromagnetic transmissions,

(b.) Isolating *the* cause for one person's car is pretty impossible,

(c.) Vendors and installers have motivations to magnify or minimize these points so you can find all kinds of claims and counter-claims

(d.) Urban legends are strong, and finally

(e.) they don't have the issue.

In short, if ceramic tint was super high on the list of things that can fuck up your shit, there'd be unanimous agreement to it ... Kinda like how everyone knows Lindsey Lohan is a complete whore.

But really, in this case, there's only fear, uncertainty, and doubt which you might be seen as contributing to.
Appreciate 1
Arcades8157.50
      10-08-2016, 08:26 PM   #32
omasou
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Quote:
When did you say that you have Huper Optik CERAMIC according to your build thread you have Spectra Photosync Tint (35% Including Windshield)

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1063159

but yet your installer seems to like or did like Huper?

BTW, nice car and photos.

Last edited by omasou; 10-08-2016 at 08:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2016, 08:28 PM   #33
omasou
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Quote:

When did you say you have Huper Optik CERAMIC? And I get 3M Crystalline is nice, has great IR rejection but why would you take off a perfectly good tint?
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2016, 08:32 PM   #34
Richy Rich
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
When did you say that you have Huper Optik CERAMIC according to your build thread you have Spectra Photosync Tint (35% Including Windshield)

http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1063159

but yet your installer seems to like or did like Huper?

The title of that thread says sold, short bus. I have 4 cars, 3 have spectra and one has Huper which I stated earlier in the thread.

Maybe if you liked to read as much as you like to argue, you would've already comprehended that.

I'd bold things like you do, but I don't care enough.
Appreciate 2
Arcades8157.50
GrussGott18114.50
      10-08-2016, 08:51 PM   #35
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

When did you say you have Huper Optik CERAMIC? And I get 3M Crystalline is nice, has great IR rejection but why would you take off a perfectly good tint?
Huper ghosts badly and it isn't as good when it comes to heat rejection compared to Crystalline.

All ceramic tints are the same when it comes to UV but they differ slightly when it comes to heat rejection. Spectra PhotoSync and Crystalline are the two best in the market when it comes to heat rejection.

Then it's Llumar CTX, Huper and F1. But in the end most of the heat rejection isn't too far apart they only start to show when you are dealing with upper 90 degree heat.

I go in between my 3er and M4 so I can physically feel the difference.
omasou2085.50
      10-08-2016, 09:18 PM   #36
omasou
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Quote:
Huper ghosts badly and it isn't as good when it comes to heat rejection compared to Crystalline.

All ceramic tints are the same when it comes to UV but they differ slightly when it comes to heat rejection. Spectra PhotoSync and Crystalline are the two best in the market when it comes to heat rejection.

Then it's Llumar CTX, Huper and F1. But in the end most of the heat rejection isn't too far apart they only start to show when you are dealing with upper 90 degree heat.

Exactly the information I was looking for and consistent with what I have found.

The Spectra PhotoSync specs look really good.

Thank you!!!

Last edited by omasou; 10-08-2016 at 09:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2016, 09:45 PM   #37
///M4ster Yoda
Banned
Rep
Drives: '16 F82 M4

I can't figure out why I'm reading this thread. Help!
Appreciate 1
Richy Rich3169.00
      10-08-2016, 09:48 PM   #38
Arcades
In The Rain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

Exactly the information I was looking for and consistent with what I have found.

The Spectra PhotoSync specs look really good.

Thank you!!!
No problem.

Good luck!
      10-22-2016, 12:56 PM   #39
***M4***
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 M4 CompPack- 6 MT- yas blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Yoda View Post
I can't figure out why I'm reading this thread. Help!
me 2! It gave me a headache
      10-22-2016, 12:58 PM   #40
***M4***
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 M4 CompPack- 6 MT- yas blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
No, you WANT the tint to interfere, you're not getting it

Nice video GrussGott!