XBimmers X1

Go Back   XBimmers | BMW X1 Forum > BMW X1 Forums > X1 Photos / Videos / Media

03-21-2017, 01:54 AM   #1
MiniMike20
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 23d Xdrive

Mike's X1 23d Xdrive

Hey Guys

New to the forum, had a few cars in the past but the X1 is my first sort of grown up car.

Previous cars:
Mini 1275E
Renault Clio Sport 182
Smart Fortwo x2 (Vert & Coupe)
Fiat 500 1.2
Fiat 500 Abarth
Fiat Bravo 1.4T Jet Sport (140kw & Still Own It)

We ended up with the BMW after a frustrating few months with the Abarth, and being in SA I wanted to explore a bit more and taking the Bravo (or any of the other cars for that matter) down a dirt road was too much. Case in point, I love the scenic route:

So the car, a 2010 BMW X1 23d Xdrive Auto.

Had the wheels done in Anthracite, dipped the grills and got some black badges which look great in real life and awful in pics. I like the black look so going to get the grills, mirrors and X1 badge sprayed gloss black and maybe wrap the roof gloss black as well.

Performance wise I am sending it for mapping soon which should wake it up a bit. For now, well, I havent had it since last Wednesday as BMW has it sorting out some final warranty / plan issues before it expires.

Cant wait to get my car back, despite how "normal" it is compared to the Abarth or even Bravo, its downright excellent.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2017, 11:37 AM   #2
MiniMike20
Rep

Since I am having a fat chat with myself.

Car spent 1.5 weeks at BMW and they basically resolved nothing, yay.

New headunit on back-order (no music etc for now, I gave them a working headunit now its toast)
Aircon whining badly (they couldnt hear that despite me telling them what it is)
Grinding noise under load (they didnt hear or feel this, must have had a monkey working the car)
Fuel Consumption is still ridiculous despite adaptions being set

Now my PDC does not work at all, my auto lights stay on and wont go off.... Stealers ftw right.

I just want to go explore in my new car, it still has to go back to BMW for the front bumper to be sprayed after they cracked the paint re-aligning the front panels.

I think I am being offensive to monkeys, I apologise.

Mike
Appreciate 1
      03-28-2017, 05:49 PM   #3
GTony
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2015 X3 F25 XDrive 28i M Sport

HI Again Mike,
Did you get your car at a BMW Dealer and was there any Warranty involved.
The BMW Dealer your trying to get things done, sounds bad.
All Dealers treat you like a King when your buying but some after that if you want Tech. Info. or things done they give you the run around.
What are your other Options?
Unfortunately happened to me after putting my car in at the same Dealer I have been going to for 5 years. No long Stories just to say their Last Service was a Joke. I now have to find some where else for Yearly Services.

You were talking about painting bumpers. Probably your leaving your F and R Sections Silver, But you can go back to 30/9 My Alpine White, GTony to see what they look like black, just out of interest.
Good luck,
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2017, 03:58 PM   #4
MiniMike20
Rep

Update.

Purchased the car on 8th March 2017. Issues to date:

Headlight Alignment
Defective Head Unit
Defective Boot Shocks
Missing Headlight Cover in Arch Liner
Resprayed Rear Quarter Panel done poorly by OEM Approved Body Shop as requested by me because of an original repair that was done poorly
Front Bumper paint cracked from re-aligning (Offered to re-paint by dealer)
Damaged Driver Control Arm
Damaged Exhaust Heat Shields related to Damaged Driver Control Arm (lower)
Jerky / Hesitant Gear Changes (6 Speed Auto)
Whistling Noise on Deceleration, Grinding / Rumbling Noise on loaded acceleration and cornering
Excessive Fuel Consumption (11L/100km first tank, 9.7L/100km on best tank so far) driving sedately, 80% freeway driving
Pressure Dents on Rear Passenger Door
Overspray on Vehicle (Like Sand Paper on the windscreen)
Wheels refurbished, only the face, not the entire wheel - Vibration at Freeway Speeds
Exhaust Rattle on Startup
Air-conditioner Whine while Operating
Rear Speaker Rattles (Was a paperclip in the speaker)

I was notified today that BMW would be issuing what they call a Puma Application for a brand new gearbox - I mentioned they may as well run an app on the transfer case because its symptoms match what I have read online of a fairly common issue on these cars, my comment was met with silence followed by "there are some stones under the plastic trim maybe its that making your car shake under load".

Total Days Ownership: 23 Days
Total Days in Workshop: 11 Days
Total Mileage: About 800-900km
Warranty Expiration: 31 Days from Now

Am I being unreasonable in requesting the dealership buy this piece of sh*t back?

Mike
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2017, 08:30 AM   #5
IslandTimes
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2013 X1 sDrive28i

No, make them buy it back, your experience is far from the norm.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2017, 06:52 PM   #6
GTony
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Hi MiniMike20,
What a shame as the 23d is a great car.
Your list is way to long for everything to be Resolved by your Warranty Expiration of around 1 Month Left.
They have already said they cant hear what your hearing and talk about doing back orders.
Don't let them drag you past Your Warranty with Promises and Back Ordering things. Who Pays?
You say they have issued a Puma Application for a Brand New Gearbox. How many More Applications are they going to issue AND if Past Your Warranty Date, Will They Expect You To Pay.

Get help from your Father and a General Lawyer's Advice, more heads are better than one. Then talk to the Owner of the BMW Dealership. You will only be bounced around by everyone else there.

1) You need them to buy back the car and arrange settlement.
2) OR I hope not, The Last Resort for them to give you An Extended Warranty OR You Buy One.
This Warranty would cover everything the car has. If you have to buy, make sure it's to yours/others Satisfaction before signing and most important the 1 Year Minimum Warranty is Covered for Repairs at all BMW Dealers. Hear any Warranty is covered by all BMW Dealers.

Hopefully you can dump this car back at the Dealers and walk away.
Sorry if I have stepped over the line with some of my comments. No one likes seeing this happening when buying a BMW.
Time is running.
Mike, I wish you the best of luck.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2017, 03:12 AM   #7
MiniMike20
Rep

So.... Update.

I have my car back, after much fighting words and threats of buy-backs and quoting our Lemon Laws... List of items replaced:

Headunit
Engine / Gearbox Mounts
Aircon Compressor
Plastic Covers
Boot Shocks
Control Arms
Exhaust Heat Shields
Flushed Gearbox Oil / Replaced
Adaptions

While the car was there I had them replace the Transfer Case Oil (used Ravenol Xdrive approved Fully Synthetic), which they covered the labour for as a courtesy. All the faults are recorded on the cars history and I have copies of all the job cards and email confirmation that if the box eats itself the cost is on them.

Overall, car is much better - Still waiting for a few more parts that could not be over-nighted to arrive but so far I am enjoying the car.

Did a read on the ECU this morning (ECU must come out to write though) so should have some mapping on it within a week or so.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2017, 05:13 PM   #8
GTony
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Mike,
Thanks for update.
Warranty?
Stay on top and keep all that work progressing to your benefit.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2017, 09:44 PM   #9
Mr Reality
Mr Reality
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW x6

I like the 2014 x1

2014 x1 very comfortable and of course I upgraded the sound system
Appreciate 0