BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-20-2017, 09:36 PM   #1
Niart906
Private
7
Rep
95
Posts

Drives: 2013 335i M-Sport 6spd
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Scranton, PA

iTrader: (0)

Looking for high mileage F80 M3 buying advice

Hey guys,

I'm going to look at an M3 near me in a few days and I'm looking for some feedback from those of you that have driven your cars beyond 50k miles. What kind of issues/maintenance items have you needed to address?

The car in question has just over 100k miles. The PO drove it 100k miles in a little over two years. It's a one owner, no accidents, 6-spd, medium optioned car. They are asking $35k.

I'd be getting rid of my current F30 335i for the M3. Just not sure what to expect in terms of mechanical failures/worn components. If I were to buy it, I'd immediately be doing all fluids, filters and spark plugs just to get a base line, and cross my fingers that Blackstone returns good results.

I'm no stranger to high mileage BMWs, I drove my old E46 M3 to well above 200k. Just not 100% confident in these new turbo cars.

Thanks Guys
__________________

2013 335i Estoril Blau II/Black
6spd | M-Sport | JB4 | BMS Intake | ER Downpipe | VRSF Chargepipe | Burger FMIC | Megan Racing Sway Bars | H&R Sport Springs
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2017, 09:39 PM   #2
pgarbul1
Lieutenant
98
Rep
453
Posts

Drives: 2018 m3
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: LI, NY

iTrader: (1)

Id avoid
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2017, 09:50 PM   #3
nars3000
Captain
nars3000's Avatar
United_States
50
Rep
636
Posts

Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: San Francisco, CA

iTrader: (14)

It sounds like the PO did all highway miles, but $35k might still be too much for that car. I'd expect to see a mild depreciation on MY15 and MY16 M3s in about 2.5 months, so you will easily lose another $4-5k value in that short period of time.

Unless the PO can provide a plethora of service records (10 oil changes minimum, spark plugs, brakes, etc) then personally, I wouldn't recommend anything more than $28k.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2017, 10:15 PM   #4
tomedkaz
Second Lieutenant
88
Rep
269
Posts

Drives: 2017 YMB M3 6MT CP EP VP
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Woodbridge, NJ

iTrader: (0)

I think $35k is a fair price.
A 2015 with 40k Miles is $50k

What can go wrong at 100k to cost you $15k?
Turbos - $4k
Everyrhing else is neglible

In Europe people drive these things for many many miles
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2017, 10:17 PM   #5
Niart906
Private
7
Rep
95
Posts

Drives: 2013 335i M-Sport 6spd
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Scranton, PA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nars3000 View Post
It sounds like the PO did all highway miles, but $35k might still be too much for that car. I'd expect to see a mild depreciation on MY15 and MY16 M3s in about 2.5 months, so you will easily lose another $4-5k value in that short period of time.

Unless the PO can provide a plethora of service records (10 oil changes minimum, spark plugs, brakes, etc) then personally, I wouldn't recommend anything more than $28k.
Agreed on the price, but I haven't seen it yet so I will have to try and talk them down once I can make it to the dealership. It was originally listed for $34k, but went up shortly after I started asking about the car. Shady much? Honestly, if they're asking $35k I don't see them getting near $28k. KBB on it is $32.5-35.5k.

The carfax shows only 6 oil changes and two spark plug changes. Plus I don't see the break in service? Luckily the dealer selling the car is also the dealer where it was bought and serviced during the PO's ownership. I'm hoping they have more service records.
__________________

2013 335i Estoril Blau II/Black
6spd | M-Sport | JB4 | BMS Intake | ER Downpipe | VRSF Chargepipe | Burger FMIC | Megan Racing Sway Bars | H&R Sport Springs
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2017, 10:23 PM   #6
Niart906
Private
7
Rep
95
Posts

Drives: 2013 335i M-Sport 6spd
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Scranton, PA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomedkaz View Post
I think $35k is a fair price.
A 2015 with 40k Miles is $50k

What can go wrong at 100k to cost you $15k?
Turbos - $4k
Everyrhing else is neglible

In Europe people drive these things for many many miles
OEM Turbos are closer to $6k for both (Pure Stage 2 is $4k), and the EDC dampers are about $3k a set. Otherwise I don't see anything else being too expensive. No DCT, so that's at least one major component I don't need to concern myself with.

My last M car was an E60 M5, and it was not easy on the wallet despite it only having about 70k miles. My E46 M3 on the other hand was awesome, even past 200k miles.
__________________

2013 335i Estoril Blau II/Black
6spd | M-Sport | JB4 | BMS Intake | ER Downpipe | VRSF Chargepipe | Burger FMIC | Megan Racing Sway Bars | H&R Sport Springs
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2017, 10:26 PM   #7
RickFLM4
Colonel
RickFLM4's Avatar
United_States
1546
Rep
2,242
Posts

Drives: M4
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: PB County, FL

iTrader: (0)

Aside from big ticket items, higher mileage cars can get expensive with the smaller gremlins and long-term maintenance items popping up every few months. $500 here, $1,000 there and so forth. If you drove your previous car past 200K miles you are well aware. Personally, I'd worry less about the mechanicals of the newer generation car than an older one in most cases.
__________________
2015 Sakhir Orange M4 Coupe, DCT, CCB, Adaptive Suspension, 19" black wheels, Exec/DA+/LED Lighting pkg, SO / Black full leather, CF trim, CF roof, HK Sound, SunTek PPF, Spectra Photsync 35%
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2017, 10:27 PM   #8
nars3000
Captain
nars3000's Avatar
United_States
50
Rep
636
Posts

Drives: 2017 M3 ZCP
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: San Francisco, CA

iTrader: (14)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niart906 View Post
Agreed on the price, but I haven't seen it yet so I will have to try and talk them down once I can make it to the dealership. It was originally listed for $34k, but went up shortly after I started asking about the car. Shady much? Honestly, if they're asking $35k I don't see them getting near $28k. KBB on it is $32.5-35.5k.

The carfax shows only 6 oil changes and two spark plug changes. Plus I don't see the break in service? Luckily the dealer selling the car is also the dealer where it was bought and serviced during the PO's ownership. I'm hoping they have more service records.
Yikes. If RIS was never recorded, or if there's no proof of it ever being done, then I wouldn't bother with this car. Although, my biggest concern would be the clutch at this point. The factory F80 brakes should last between 60-90k miles if driven moderately on the highway.

I would definitely have a BMW specialist shop do a proper PPI before even thinking about making an offer. If the dealer isn't willing to let you do this, then move on.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2017, 10:36 PM   #9
Niart906
Private
7
Rep
95
Posts

Drives: 2013 335i M-Sport 6spd
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Scranton, PA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nars3000 View Post
Yikes. If RIS was never recorded, or if there's no proof of it ever being done, then I wouldn't bother with this car. Although, my biggest concern would be the clutch at this point. The factory F80 brakes should last between 60-90k miles if driven moderately on the highway.

I would definitely have a BMW specialist shop do a proper PPI before even thinking about making an offer. If the dealer isn't willing to let you do this, then move on.
I'm planning on asking them to put it on a lift for me. That way I can go through the suspension piece by piece. If the brakes are close to warn out, it's just some more ammo I can use to talk them down. No real way to gauge the clutch without disassembly. With any luck, the PO knew how to drive and the clutch will be fine. Figure it should be mostly highway miles. FWIW my 200k mile M3 was on it's original clutch.
__________________

2013 335i Estoril Blau II/Black
6spd | M-Sport | JB4 | BMS Intake | ER Downpipe | VRSF Chargepipe | Burger FMIC | Megan Racing Sway Bars | H&R Sport Springs
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2017, 06:59 PM   #10
silvergray545
Skittles, OT OG
silvergray545's Avatar
Lebanon
2342
Rep
611
Posts

Drives: Lots of M cars
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Cleveland, OH

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2016 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
2000 BMW M Roadster  [0.00]
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
2014 VW GLI  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomedkaz View Post
I think $35k is a fair price.
A 2015 with 40k Miles is $50k

What can go wrong at 100k to cost you $15k?
Turbos - $4k
Everyrhing else is neglible

In Europe people drive these things for many many miles
How is everything else negligible? 100k typically means cooling system refresh and suspension refresh. Both, the alternator and starter are nearing the end of their life. It might be needing a clutch, depending on how it was driven. Brakes, also depending on how it was driven.

If you can't DIY these maintenance/repairs, it will be costly to have a shop do it.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2017, 07:49 PM   #11
tomedkaz
Second Lieutenant
88
Rep
269
Posts

Drives: 2017 YMB M3 6MT CP EP VP
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Woodbridge, NJ

iTrader: (0)

100k is just a mental barrier

Id take a 100k highway car over a 50k City car

Bushings, dings, maintenance items etc.
Appreciate 1
      11-21-2017, 08:04 PM   #12
IDBGOD
Private First Class
47
Rep
162
Posts

Drives: BMW
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Sarasota

iTrader: (0)

I typically stay away from high mileage cars, especially an //M car but to each their own.

As previously stated, Extensive service records would need to be provided, the vehicle would need to clear an independent mechanic inspection, etc.

It all comes down to how the car was maintained. If there are no records to indicate how it was maintained it would be a red flag for me. One owner helps, as does the clean carfax but again...just depends. 6 service records seems a little light on the car. At minimum you should be changing oil every 10k miles (I actually did every 5k on mine after the initial break in and 10k service). 100k mileage car would be 10 service oil changes minimum. Check with your dealer as they would have more accurate service records than carfax if it was indeed serviced there.

Recent reliability has certainly improved on newer BMW's and the S55 has been a pretty solid platform on the F8x. I wouldn't worry too much about anything major other than replacing basic routine maintenance items if everything checks out but again a high mileage car will always be more prone to the risk of expensive repairs. It's a machine and things can happen.

Nothing is cheap really on an //M.

You also might want to consider waiting just a little longer. M3/4's are only going to keep depreciating and we are nearing the end of the current cycle. You may be able to pick up one with lower miles at a better price in the near future.

Last edited by IDBGOD; 11-21-2017 at 08:11 PM.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2017, 08:29 PM   #13
Caliboy951
Private
Caliboy951's Avatar
United_States
30
Rep
99
Posts

Drives: 2016 M4 w/comp package
Join Date: Feb 2017
Location: Temecula

iTrader: (0)

My advice (last car was also E60 M5) is to get an extended warranty. If you have USAA they have the best! I maxed it out on the M5 (go figure) and I never had an issue with filing a claim.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2017, 08:36 PM   #14
gatorfast
Brigadier General
gatorfast's Avatar
United_States
592
Rep
3,849
Posts

Drives: F80 M3
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: SoFla

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomedkaz View Post
100k is just a mental barrier

Id take a 100k highway car over a 50k City car

Bushings, dings, maintenance items etc.
This. People make it seem as if the typical car falls apart at 100k.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2017, 08:50 PM   #15
RickFLM4
Colonel
RickFLM4's Avatar
United_States
1546
Rep
2,242
Posts

Drives: M4
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: PB County, FL

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caliboy951 View Post
My advice (last car was also E60 M5) is to get an extended warranty. If you have USAA they have the best! I maxed it out on the M5 (go figure) and I never had an issue with filing a claim.
Probably very difficult to find an extended warranty for a car with 100K miles, particularly at anything close to a reasonable price.
__________________
2015 Sakhir Orange M4 Coupe, DCT, CCB, Adaptive Suspension, 19" black wheels, Exec/DA+/LED Lighting pkg, SO / Black full leather, CF trim, CF roof, HK Sound, SunTek PPF, Spectra Photsync 35%
Appreciate 1
      11-21-2017, 09:18 PM   #16
knepsterd
Lieutenant
85
Rep
546
Posts

Drives: 6 mo.trial m235 waiting for M2
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: East Coast

iTrader: (0)

good peeps at Freehold BMW, but over 100K miles for $35K....better off finding a car at $45K with half those miles and half the headaches imho...you'll pay $10K over the lifetime of that 100K mile car more quickly than a 45-50K mile car. Be prepared. It sounds like you want to get into a M3, but can't finance $45K-$50K used. Just be prepared to shell out $$$ if the 100K mile one becomes a burden especially a high tuned german car with that mileage...you will pay either way. And to dump it you will take a hit as well and will be hard to find a buyer.
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2017, 09:22 PM   #17
JSTDR1V
Saving Lives Since 2000
JSTDR1V's Avatar
No_Country
210
Rep
2,915
Posts

Drives: 2017 M3 & 2016 X5 35i
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Northeast

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
2016 BMW X5 35i  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Niart906 View Post
Hey guys,

I'm going to look at an M3 near me in a few days and I'm looking for some feedback from those of you that have driven your cars beyond 50k miles. What kind of issues/maintenance items have you needed to address?

The car in question has just over 100k miles. The PO drove it 100k miles in a little over two years. It's a one owner, no accidents, 6-spd, medium optioned car. They are asking $35k.

I'd be getting rid of my current F30 335i for the M3. Just not sure what to expect in terms of mechanical failures/worn components. If I were to buy it, I'd immediately be doing all fluids, filters and spark plugs just to get a base line, and cross my fingers that Blackstone returns good results.

I'm no stranger to high mileage BMWs, I drove my old E46 M3 to well above 200k. Just not 100% confident in these new turbo cars.

Thanks Guys

I wouldn't "upgrade" a 335 to an extended use M3.
Appreciate 1
      11-21-2017, 10:22 PM   #18
RobbyMack
Lieutenant
RobbyMack's Avatar
355
Rep
581
Posts

Drives: '16 F80 Sakhir
Join Date: May 2014
Location: The Left Coast

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomedkaz View Post
100k is just a mental barrier

Id take a 100k highway car over a 50k City car

Bushings, dings, maintenance items etc.
This. People make it seem as if the typical car falls apart at 100k.
Agreed. Certainly that's fairly common among BMW owners but I'd say the majority lease so they have never even scratched 100k. The funny thing is that due to modern manufacturing most modern cars if they fail will fail epically within the first few miles. Once you've hit 100 miles the chances of a catastrophic failure go WAY down (why do you think they push extended warrantees so much?). Now some folks may not be willing to stomach say a $2000 repair but if that $2000 gets you another 50k in life out of the car then That's money well spent vs the cost of buying another. Everyone obviously does their own cost/benefit here but I've always been more than willing to take the "risk" of higher mileage. Hell in my old career where I'd log some serious miles I used to regularly buy 100k+ mileage vehicles drive them into the ground and pick up another after flipping a now 200k vehicle for not much less than I paid for it. Granted I stuck to Lexus primarily for comfort and never ventured to a BMW.
Appreciate 1
      11-21-2017, 10:41 PM   #19
Niart906
Private
7
Rep
95
Posts

Drives: 2013 335i M-Sport 6spd
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Scranton, PA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvergray545 View Post
How is everything else negligible? 100k typically means cooling system refresh and suspension refresh. Both, the alternator and starter are nearing the end of their life. It might be needing a clutch, depending on how it was driven. Brakes, also depending on how it was driven.

If you can't DIY these maintenance/repairs, it will be costly to have a shop do it.
I DIY everything. The work does not scare me, the downtime and parts cost is really the only concern.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDBGOD View Post
Nothing is cheap really on an //M.

You also might want to consider waiting just a little longer. M3/4's are only going to keep depreciating and we are nearing the end of the current cycle. You may be able to pick up one with lower miles at a better price in the near future.
Had a buddy of mine pull the service records, only oddity I can see is the break in service was done at 2k miles. I've owned a few M cars before, I'm aware the parts and labor come at a premium. If this dealer won't budge on price, and the car is a dud, I'll just wait another year for them to depreciate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knepsterd View Post
good peeps at Freehold BMW, but over 100K miles for $35K....better off finding a car at $45K with half those miles and half the headaches imho...you'll pay $10K over the lifetime of that 100K mile car more quickly than a 45-50K mile car. Be prepared. It sounds like you want to get into a M3, but can't finance $45K-$50K used. Just be prepared to shell out $$$ if the 100K mile one becomes a burden especially a high tuned german car with that mileage...you will pay either way. And to dump it you will take a hit as well and will be hard to find a buyer.
I'd rather not finance that much, we are looking to purchase another house soon. So I need cash on hand for that. Besides, in another year I'd bet there will be plenty of F80's in the low $40's high $30's range.
__________________

2013 335i Estoril Blau II/Black
6spd | M-Sport | JB4 | BMS Intake | ER Downpipe | VRSF Chargepipe | Burger FMIC | Megan Racing Sway Bars | H&R Sport Springs
Appreciate 1
      11-21-2017, 10:58 PM   #20
silvergray545
Skittles, OT OG
silvergray545's Avatar
Lebanon
2342
Rep
611
Posts

Drives: Lots of M cars
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Cleveland, OH

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2016 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
2000 BMW M Roadster  [0.00]
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
2014 VW GLI  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomedkaz View Post
100k is just a mental barrier

Id take a 100k highway car over a 50k City car

Bushings, dings, maintenance items etc.
This. People make it seem as if the typical car falls apart at 100k.
A car falling apart and a poorly maintained car are two different things. Dampers at 100k are tired and worn. Ever since the E36, the rule of thumb was 80-100k for a cooling system refresh. Bushings don't last forever.

Saying a 100k mile car is fine is foolish. It may or may not be. Maintenance needs to be planned for.

Two of my three M cars are over 100k so I'm no stranger to the "100k mile mental barrier"
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2017, 12:56 AM   #21
Fast4d
Lieutenant
90
Rep
512
Posts

Drives: 325
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: So cal

iTrader: (0)

if it was a V8 I would say no..

if I don't drive alot of mile I might consider it. 6 speed is much less likely to give you problems.

if turbos seal or bearings go I would use for cores and upgrade.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2017, 05:33 PM   #22
TurnerMotorsport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
2
Rep
93
Posts


Drives: BMW F82 M4
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: TMS Headquarters

iTrader: (0)

The idea doesn't terrify me, but I'm not all giggly excited over the deal as well. I'd just be prepared for turbos, suspension refresh, cooling over haul etc if I talked myself into the deal.
__________________

Turner Motorsport
/ // Parts and Performance for BMWs
800-280-6966
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:35 PM.




f80post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST