ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Navigation, Audio, Bluetooth, Stereo, Electronics Talk
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

07-07-2008, 09:26 PM   #1
Graham M
I love my Z. Pure sex on wheels.
Canada
Rep
Drives: Is sold, goodbye everyone!

Question hooking up aftermarket amp to factory carver/hifi stereo?

Hey guys. Like the title says, the dual 6" subs dont hit low enough. They're only 6" 's so I'm not expecting them to drop below 55hz or so (which is where they seem to drop off significantly or there abouts) but I like a lot of music with a fair bit of low end.
What I was hoping for was to have a single 10" or 8" to dish out the 60hz and below so I can still have a full audio spectrum.
My question is, what do I have to do, to tie into the system so I can have the aftermarket sub(s) work in sync with the factory ones?

Any hardware at all? I figure I should use one of those "high level ----> low level/RCA" converters and just have that feeding the amp, since there doesn't seem to be any frequencies being blocked from going to the subwoofer, basically everything (bass) oriented is fed into it.
I'm not replacing the CD deck, and I will be adding an external amp to power this given sub.

Any help would be much appreciated. This is an '04 with the Hifi/Premium package if that helps.
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2008, 05:08 PM   #2
nate96
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: TI Silver 06 Z4 Coupe

I did this. There are write ups around on how to do it. Since you can only tap in to inbetween the amp and factory subs to get your signal because before the amp is digital. The signal has already been crossovered at this point. SO when you just tap in you do not get those frequecies any ways. There is something from Rockford fosgate makes that does interpolations and puts those frequencies back. It retails for about $400 though. I was not happy with just adding a line in converter, amp and subs. Although it did give some more bass, it was not enough to me to warrant having the subs eating up so much of the trunk. So I took them out. For reference I had a 1500W amp and 2-10 inch subs that pounded in a SUV.
      07-11-2008, 06:40 PM   #3
Graham M
I love my Z. Pure sex on wheels.
Canada
Rep
Drives: Is sold, goodbye everyone!

^ THanks Nate. Your from Beyond.ca aren't you? this is Graham_A_M on there.
Please PM me with how much you want for those rims again. Thanks.

I have to run, but I'd like to run a couple of questions past you about the set-up then.
Cheers.
Appreciate 0