ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Navigation, Audio, Bluetooth, Stereo, Electronics Talk
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

08-26-2008, 06:33 PM   #1
Graham M
I love my Z. Pure sex on wheels.
Canada
Rep
Drives: Is sold, goodbye everyone!

Question Light (burnt out) indicator turns on despite bulbs still working fine

Hey guys, regarding the left signals for my car ('04 3.0I SMG) the bulb indicator dummy light comes on sporatically (sometimes its good for a month or two, other times it does this for a few weeks on end, or every here and there).
Basically the signals flash much more quickly on the left side, then they would on the right. I got out while leaving my car running (while the bulb indicator light was on), and checked the lights, and they are all fine, the side markers, both front and back... and yes they are in perfect order.

I do have the Leatherz clear side and rear lights. I figure there is a faulty sensor that comes on at times, telling the car there is a bulb burnt out, when it isn't. Would that be the case?
This is really annoying at times.. since it happens so sporatically, I can't book it into a dealership since I dont know if the problem will continue to persist at that set appointment.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2008, 12:27 AM   #2
BimmerZealot
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X3 xDrive30i

Hm, that is very odd. Sounds like a sensor issue if all the bulbs are in perfect working order when the light is ON. I had a similar on/off problem, my sales adviser set up a time for me to come in and take a drive with the shop master tech so I could hopefully replicate the problem. Of course the problem didn't come out; but, they were able to pull a code and find the problem. I'd say if you're still under warranty it wouldn't hurt to bring it in anyways.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2008, 04:06 AM   #3
epbrown
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M Coupe, Porsche Boxster S

Probably a bulb loose in its socket - at least, that's what I think mine is. I've gotten a false bulb out indicator twice since I bought the car 8 months ago, but it's never been more than a couple of seconds. Once the error light stays on, I'll take it in.
Appreciate 0