E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > Daft question about chipping/tuning?

11-06-2008, 05:44 AM   #1
medrep
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 320D Carbon Black

Daft question about chipping/tuning?

If chipping/remaps etc are so beneficial to performance/economy, and cost relatively little, then why do car manufacturers do not do the same and offer these as options or as standard?

Surely, for example, a remapped 320d would be a far more attractive buy for a Jo Public, than an expensive 330d?

Am I talking BS here, or is there a reason why this is not done?

Not having a go at remaps, if my car wasnt a lease i'd have it done in an instant, but whats the catch...................
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2008, 05:51 AM   #2
M3-FAST
Defected to the dark side.....
England
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 LCi

Garage List
I think a map prob pushes the engine up to it's top limit with regards to relaiabilty and longevity etc.

A manufacturer wants as few failures as possible (engine warranty claims in first 3 yrs would cost em a packet!) - they want the cars to still be running well in well over 3yrs +

They also want good fuel economy coupled with strict emmissions etc..

A re-map will save you fuel when driven 'normally' but will use a lot more when driven hard! The engine can't produce more power without using more fuel!

A manufacturers map will have to balance all of these factors and prob a lot more! The engine can prob take a re-map but will it decrease the life of the turbo? I suspect it will, else like you say, the manufacturers would all release more performance mapped cars.

They also want to keep the integrity of the model range - would be no good having their cheapest and smallest engined car, almost as quick as their bigger engined (and more expensive) models. Everone would buy the smaller engined one. Porsche had this issue with the Cayman, having to de-tune the power output as it was quicker than their 911 model!
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2008, 06:06 AM   #3
medrep
Private First Class
Rep

Ah ok, that make more sense, thanks!

So, generally speaking, remaps are geared towards the more performance orientated driver?

I see I lot of people on here having it done, but not wanting to be Captain Cautios but BMW's are not cheap, most of them here are new, doesnt anyone seem bothered by losing their warranty etc?

Christ, if I personally paid the price of a new 330 for example, i'd be on pins changing the airfilter, let alone fiddling with the cars computer system

Am i being boring or is there a real risk of something going tits up after a remap?
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2008, 06:14 AM   #4
jw2000
Private
Tokelau
Rep
Drives: 330d

I have been told a mapped 335d will be faster, more economical and cheaper than a M3. Thats got to be a good thing. Is this not true?
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2008, 06:23 AM   #5
sheps
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG

Mapping also allows you to fine tune an engine that was designed for world markets. Altitudes and fuel quality (to name 2 factors) will affect how you can write a 'world map'.

Local (i.e. country specific) maps will allow a tuner to take advantage of conditions that a world map could not. In this country we have little altitude change and decent quality fuel, thus allowing a more aggressive (in terms of additional power) map before the car operates outside of its limits.

Replaced by 6.2 litres of AMG powered C class.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2008, 06:25 AM   #6
medrep
Private First Class
Rep

Ive just read a few posts on the Spiderbox offer, so ive answered some of my own questions, sorry.

I still dont think i'd take the risk though, im pretty sure BMW would be able to tell quite easily if a fault occured.

Thanks again.

Cpt. Cautios.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2008, 06:52 AM   #7
dbramley
320d M-Sport
England
Rep
Drives: BMW 320si

I always thought they done it for insurance reasons - eg; a car with lower bhp / torque will have a lower insurance group rating, thus more affordable for your average driver?
      11-07-2008, 08:19 AM   #8
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
I think its more to do with longevity more than anything else.
      11-07-2008, 08:57 AM   #9
AlanQS
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Jaguar XE P250 HSE

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d
I think its more to do with longevity more than anything else.
+1
Appreciate 0