BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons

11-02-2011, 02:28 PM   #45
Railgun
Major

Drives: FD, CBR600RR, Frmr E92 335i :(

Send a message via ICQ to Railgun Send a message via AIM to Railgun Send a message via MSN to Railgun Send a message via Yahoo to Railgun Send a message via Skype™ to Railgun
True, but I would contend that perception of that initial lag would be quite different between a diesel motor and gasoline. Where I've not driven a 335d before, I can only guess that the amount of torque a diesel makes would mask that lag a bit.
Railgun is offline   United Kingdom
      11-03-2011, 03:56 PM   #46
vase330
Colonel

Drives: E92 335i ; 14 RangeRover SSC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onehp View Post
+1

Two of these in parallel on a straight six (or V6) could do wonders. And while it seems complex, if these do away with the extra turbo, the twin scroll turbines and associated piping, three wastegates, several actuation valves in the exhaust and inlet piping and VNT manouvering (all of these potentially part of a triturbo set-up), it's actually much less complicated and robust - if they can make the clutches work against the heat!
C-E-R-A-M-C composite clutches anyone? They already make ceramic brakes that last a lifetime for cars such as Vette and some exotics. I am not sure I am the only one getting an epiphany here. They can use these materials to make the clutches. The space shuttle gets considerably hotter and uses a lot of ceramic composites, I don't see any issue other than cost.
      11-09-2011, 12:40 PM   #47
goat128

Drives: e34

patent drawings have to be of a specific format like you see there.
      11-13-2011, 12:07 PM   #48
JRV
Lieutenant

Drives: '08 C300, 2011.75 AWE90M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosskie View Post
if its very detailed someone can come in and do the same style turbo but different motor or bigger shaft and get away with it.

This way BMW can just say that was our idea u cant use it
exactly...would be foolish to make it all nice for everyone to see and copy before they even make it
JRV is offline   United_States
      12-07-2011, 02:11 AM   #49
swamp2
Lieutenant General

Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jblack4083 View Post
exactly!
A +3 (or 4 or whatever) on the cheesy drawings. Patent drawings DO NOT have to be hand drawn nor of any specific format. Certainly the comments about the less detail and the broader the scope apply, but come on hand drawn, really, by BMW...

That being said this could very well be the goodbye to turbo lag.
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |
swamp2 is offline   United_States
      02-29-2012, 09:37 PM   #50
maceBR

Drives: e92 M3

Lightbulb god idea

simple smart and useful. like all great ideas.. way to go
      05-21-2012, 08:21 PM   #51
captbilly

Drives: A6 turbo, TR-8, 740il,

This idea goes back at least several decades.

The idea of an electric turbocharger goes back at least several decades. The Russians used an electric motor/alternator coupled to a standard turbocharger on an aircraft engine (diesel) back in the 80s. I don't believe that BMW has the patent on the idea of en electric turbo, just the specific setup using the various clutches. It may even be that the only reason for the clutches was to get around the Russian invention, or to allow BMW to give the impression that they had some important IP for electric turbos.

Ultimately the idea goes all the way back to the turbo compound aircraft engines used on post WW2 piston engine airliners. In these engines the turbo is actually used to convert some of the waste energy in the exhaust power back to the engine/propellor (and of course also to power the turbosupercharger). In the turbo compound engines they used gears to feed the power back to the engine rather than the motor generator used on the Russian and BMW systems. These gears were the Achilles heal of the turbo compound engine because it was very difficult to build gearing systems that could match the very high RPM of the turbo to the very low RPM of the big radial engines of the day. A single backfire could tear up the gears, but even barring such a failure the gears were constantly getting beaten by the huge power pulses of the slow turning engine. The Russian application was the first I have seen that used a motor generator to harness some of the waste energy (energy not used by the turbo itself). I am not sure why BMW needs all the clutches and other stuff but perhaps they found that they got somewhat better efficiency under the varying loads of a car vs. the much more constant load in an airplane that the Russian system was meant for.
      05-22-2012, 07:12 AM   #52
Needsdecaf
Everything's Bigger in Texas!

Drives: Porsche Tractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by vase330 View Post
C-E-R-A-M-C composite clutches anyone? They already make ceramic brakes that last a lifetime for cars such as Vette and some exotics. I am not sure I am the only one getting an epiphany here. They can use these materials to make the clutches. The space shuttle gets considerably hotter and uses a lot of ceramic composites, I don't see any issue other than cost.
Carrera GT used a ceramic clutch. It was unbelievably tricky to engage properly, from all reports. That is the sticky wicket.

perhaps now that gearbox management is by computer and is more intelligent than any human it might work but....
      05-24-2012, 02:11 PM   #53
tuna_hp
Enlisted Member

Drives: X3

Yeah it seems to me that the clutches are key to why this is such a good electric turbo application. Btw, it's not just old airplane engines, but many auto component companies have been exploring electric turbos for a few years now. Some of them completely separate the turbine from the compressor so they are only connected by electrical wiring, some use an electric motor to help spin up a traditional turbocharger.

The specific benefits of this BMW design seem to be:

-disengaging the turbine during coasting, idling, and launch means the exhaust can spin the turbine to a higher RPM and leave more energy for possible further turbos in a sequential setup to also spin to a higher RPM because it doesn't have to waste energy spinning the compressor (which wouldn't even create boost at that low engine speed, nor would boost be desirable even if it could).

-disengaging the compressor (along with the turbine) during coast and idle means that the electric motor can pre-spool to very high RPM while using relatively little energy because it doesn't have to waste any energy spinning the turbine or compressor around.

-Compared to the purely electric turbo concepts, the BMW design only requires one motor/generator versus having a dedicated motor and a dedicated generator, and maintaining the mode where you have a direct mechanical link between the turbine and compressor should be more efficient than having to convert pneumatic energy>mechanical energy>electrical energy>mechanical energy>pneumatic energy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by captbilly View Post
The idea of an electric turbocharger goes back at least several decades. The Russians used an electric motor/alternator coupled to a standard turbocharger on an aircraft engine (diesel) back in the 80s. I don't believe that BMW has the patent on the idea of en electric turbo, just the specific setup using the various clutches. It may even be that the only reason for the clutches was to get around the Russian invention, or to allow BMW to give the impression that they had some important IP for electric turbos.

Ultimately the idea goes all the way back to the turbo compound aircraft engines used on post WW2 piston engine airliners. In these engines the turbo is actually used to convert some of the waste energy in the exhaust power back to the engine/propellor (and of course also to power the turbosupercharger). In the turbo compound engines they used gears to feed the power back to the engine rather than the motor generator used on the Russian and BMW systems. These gears were the Achilles heal of the turbo compound engine because it was very difficult to build gearing systems that could match the very high RPM of the turbo to the very low RPM of the big radial engines of the day. A single backfire could tear up the gears, but even barring such a failure the gears were constantly getting beaten by the huge power pulses of the slow turning engine. The Russian application was the first I have seen that used a motor generator to harness some of the waste energy (energy not used by the turbo itself). I am not sure why BMW needs all the clutches and other stuff but perhaps they found that they got somewhat better efficiency under the varying loads of a car vs. the much more constant load in an airplane that the Russian system was meant for.
      06-13-2012, 07:47 AM   #54
mweisdorfer
First Lieutenant

Drives: 2007 Black/black 335i e90

Garage List
2007 bmw 335i  [0.00]
2008 bmw x5  [0.00]
There is only one reason for this and it is to put it in the m3. Eventually, you will see it used across the board in all turbo charged BMW's giving better gas mileage as a result.
mweisdorfer is offline   United_States
      06-13-2012, 08:39 AM   #55
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.

Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 12 AW X5d

Quote:
Originally Posted by mweisdorfer View Post
There is only one reason for this and it is to put it in the m3. Eventually, you will see it used across the board in all turbo charged BMW's giving better gas mileage as a result.
It's already in the M550d.
Singletrack is offline   United_States
      06-14-2012, 09:32 PM   #56
ScheerSpeed
Major General

Drives: '13 F30 Estoril M-Sport 335i

Send a message via AIM to ScheerSpeed Send a message via MSN to ScheerSpeed
pretty cool!

now this will get interesting with how the aftermarket decides to "tune" an electric turbo...
ScheerSpeed is offline   United_States
      09-17-2012, 10:00 AM   #57
andrey_gta
Colonel

Drives: 130i coupé ;)

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [0.00]
I want to knwo how easy this will be to add the electric turbo to other engines, such as the n52

"The 1-series is the last car that BMW engineered before the Germans, as a car-making culture, fell out of love with driving." - R&T 2013 135is
andrey_gta is online now   Canada
      09-17-2012, 10:35 AM   #58
BMRLVR
Grease Monkey

Drives: 2011 E90 M3,1994 Euro E36 M3/4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Singletrack View Post
It's already in the M550d.
Sorry, but there is no electric turbo on the N57S, just 3 conventional turbos that are brought on-line at different points in the RPM range.
      09-23-2012, 02:37 PM   #59
nsphoto

Drives: 2002 VW Golf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_NL View Post
Tip:Just wait for the prices of second hand 458s to decrease. 9000rpm.
Brilliant hot tip, I concur.

As for the new turbo design, it seems so simple, how is it that someone hasn't applied this concept already years ago?
      09-23-2012, 03:11 PM   #60
bimmerjph
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 2002 BMW 325i

I just read some where that Audi was developing this too.
bimmerjph is offline   United_States
      07-01-2013, 12:49 PM   #61
Boss330
Colonel

Drives: F10 ACS5 3.0i

Just found this thread and it seems to confirm that something similar to what will be seen i F1 next year might be on the M3/M4:

Of particular interest is the MGU-H (Motor Generator Unit - Heat) that is attached to the turbo:

Quote:
TURBOCHARGER
A turbocharger uses an exhaust driven turbine to drive a compressor to increase the density of the intake air consumed by the engine and so make more power for a given displacement.

The residual heat energy contained in the exhaust gases after expansion in the cylinders of the engine is converted to mechanical shaft power by the exhaust turbine. The mechanical power from the turbine is used to drive the compressor, and also the MGU-H (see below).

As the turbocharger speed must vary to match the requirement of the engine, there may be a delay in torque response, often known as turbo-lag. One of the great challenges of the new Power Unit is to reduce this to near zero to match the instant torque delivery of the current V8 engines.
Quote:
MGU-H
The MGU-H is connected to the turbocharger. Acting as a generator, it absorbs power from the turbine shaft to recover heat energy from the exhaust gases. The electrical energy can be either directed to the MGU-K or to the battery for storage for later use. The MGU-H is also used to control the speed of the turbocharger to match the air requirement of the engine (eg to slow it down in place of a wastegate or to accelerate it to compensate for turbo-lag.)
This is a brilliant piece of engineering, possibly a game changer of power delivery characteristics on a turbocharged engine

Any rumours of a electric turbocharger on the next M3/M4 might be a similar device as shown here, to spool up the turbos, or slow it down instead of using a wastegate to dump excess exhaust.

Source: http://www.renaultsport.com/Nouvelle...Energy-F1.html

Here is MagnetiMarelli's version of a "electric/hybrid" turbo. TThey have chosen a slightly different solution with the generator/motor unit between the compressor and turbine units of the turbo. Seems like Mercedes is using a variant of this solution as well.

BTW, this is what next years F1 engine will sound like:

Boss330 is offline   Norway
      07-01-2013, 01:01 PM   #62
RMB
Lieutenant

Drives: '11 Cayenne S

Garage List
If BMW did something like this for the M3/M4 it would make it a really unique engine. I think this would be great and it would potentially represent the next leap forward with FI engines.
RMB is offline   United_States
      07-03-2013, 08:10 AM   #63
RingMeister01
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: Ducati 1199R

Genius