BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

01-26-2014, 09:57 PM   #1
M3ryder55
Major

Drives: 15' MW/SO ETA August

Those not getting CCB's

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
For those not getting CCBs, would we be posers if we painted our calipers the same color as the CCBs..? lol.. I wish BMW kept the standard brakes unpainted or black instead of that baby blue shade..
      01-26-2014, 10:00 PM   #2
Real Deal
Second Lieutenant

Drives: E90

It's your car do as you wish.
      01-26-2014, 10:01 PM   #3
gblansten
Beandoc

Drives: 2014 BMW M5 SG/SS

What are you wanting to achieve? There will only be a small niche of people who would accurately recognize the color and falsely believe that you have ceramic brakes.
gblansten is offline   United_States
      01-26-2014, 10:05 PM   #4
Brosef
Colonel

Drives: 2011 M

Quote:
Originally Posted by gblansten View Post
What are you wanting to achieve? There will only be a small niche of people who would accurately recognize the color and falsely believe that you have ceramic brakes.
agreed. there would only be a small number of people savvy enough to recognize the gold color symbolizing CCB's but not savvy enough to recognize the smaller calipers and steel rotors.
Brosef is offline   United_States
      01-26-2014, 10:05 PM   #5
consolidated
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
Gold calipers look better than blue with almost all the colors. Is it poser-y, a little, but no than the CCBs themselves IMO. I'd love to get them, but doubt I will after having them now.
      01-26-2014, 10:10 PM   #6
M3ryder55
Major

Quote:
Originally Posted by consolidated View Post
Gold calipers look better than blue with almost all the colors. Is it poser-y, a little, but no than the CCBs themselves IMO. I'd love to get them, but doubt I will after having them now.
what do u mean after having them now? bad experience? porsche ?

I love the look of them, especially the color. I've always loved gold style calipers, starting back from when the G35's/350z's 6mt's came standard w/ gold brembos. What I'm saying is, since they calipers are coming painted, might as well change them to a different color other than black but would that be poser"ish" lol
      01-26-2014, 10:14 PM   #7
A418t81
Major

Drives: F80 M3/997TT

Garage List
Changing the caliper color to one of your liking is not "posing" at all. Anybody who knows anything about CCBs will be able to tell at a glance that you don't have them. Do what makes you happy. If you had some sticker or something that you placed inside your rim that looked like you had CCBs, then yes, you'd be a poser but the standard brakes are still a far cry from regular hardware seen on the regular 3/4 series.
      01-26-2014, 10:24 PM   #8
markeh
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2013 CB 650xi GC

Send a message via AIM to markeh
I'm changing the blue to like a speed yellow
2010 BMW X6 5.0 Sold
markeh is offline   Russian Federation
      01-26-2014, 10:28 PM   #9
Suave
Major

Drives: 2015 F80 M3

I will be painting my Calipers to match the SO interior or go with Black to match the AW with all the Carbon fiber parts I will add to outside. Will decide once I can play with options on actual car.
Coming Soon: M Perf CF Diffuser, Spoiler, Exhaust Tips, CF-Alcantara Brake Handle, CF Shifter Cover, MPE
Suave is offline   United_States
      01-26-2014, 10:33 PM   #10
Sedan_Clan
Banned

Drives: '14 335i(prev.IB,AW M3's & X5)

You could simply change the caliper from the blue to the yellow (..like I have on my 335i). The optional M-Performance brakes are the same brakes - in terms of front/rear calipers - as what the new M3 will be equipped with.

I actually plan to keep my calipers that are currently on my 335i, and sell the blue calipers that come on the M3.
Sedan_Clan is offline   Brazil
      01-26-2014, 10:34 PM   #11
consolidated
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3ryder55 View Post
what do u mean after having them now? bad experience? porsche ?

I love the look of them, especially the color. I've always loved gold style calipers, starting back from when the G35's/350z's 6mt's came standard w/ gold brembos. What I'm saying is, since they calipers are coming painted, might as well change them to a different color other than black but would that be poser"ish" lol
On a GT3RS. They look great, but too delicate and once they wear out, which is quickly on track, extremely expensive to replace.

Also far fewer pad compound options, and anytime your car is being worked on you'll be concern a tech will drop a wheel on the rotor and chip it. I'd count on getting studs if CCB to make wheel R&R more error free.

With the Porsche track crowd, you'll see lots of yellow calipers but with steel rotors. Their PCCBs are either in a box for resale, or have been sold. A near new set brings $7K.

I love the way they look. But for $7500 VERY few people will notice and even fewer will be able to take full advantage of, I'd rather put the money towards an Akrapovic exhaust or non-two tone forged wheels.
      01-26-2014, 10:54 PM   #12
mkoesel

Drives: 2015 Felt IA2

Quote:
I wish BMW kept the standard brakes unpainted or black instead of that baby blue shade..
Baby blue isn't really accurate. YMB is baby blue, the standard brake calipers are a medium blue.
      01-26-2014, 10:57 PM   #13
Sedan_Clan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Baby blue isn't really accurate. YMB is baby blue, the standard brake calipers are a medium blue.
Exactly! I don't know where he got baby blue from. The blue brake calipers aren't even really that noticeable.
      01-27-2014, 12:18 AM   #14
Reid
Burninating the peasants

Drives: F82 M4, K42 HP4...

Quote:
I wish BMW kept the standard brakes unpainted or black instead of that baby blue shade..
So you wish they were unpainted or black, but you want to paint them yellow?
      01-27-2014, 12:28 AM   #15
Sedan_Clan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reid View Post
So you wish they were unpainted or black, but you want to paint them yellow?
Looks like you caught him killer. I was wondering the same thing.
      01-27-2014, 12:44 AM   #16
M3ryder55
Major

well i prefer they were unpainted/or black stock like the e9x because for me at least its one less area of the car to touch when modding it to the look you want. I'm not a fan of the blue because i feel like it will be hard to match w/.. ie.. mineral grey, SK, and blue calipers? idk this is subjective obviously. I've always liked that bronze/gold brake caliper look though and feel like the ccb's calipers and color just fit this new gen so well and can match w/ many combos more friendly. And since I got to paint them I might as well do a color I'd like. Thats what i meant.

THE ISSUE here is that the blue calipers are not going to match many of the standard colors available. BMW has done an incredible job w/ this new generation IMO in every area. But the colors are disastrous. I'm trying to convince myself to like
      01-27-2014, 12:45 AM   #17
paddy335
Major

Drives: 335i Touring; X5 40d

Quote:
For those not getting CCBs, would we be posers if we painted our calipers the same color as the CCBs..? lol.. I wish BMW kept the standard brakes unpainted or black instead of that baby blue shade..
Get them painted black. That would look much cooler and not looking like you are trying to show you have something you don't
      01-27-2014, 12:49 AM   #18
khanyam4
Lieutenant

Drives: 04 e46 m3,13 535i

You would definitely be posing in my opinion painting it the same color as the 7500 ceramics.
khanyam4 is offline   Cambodia
      01-27-2014, 12:50 AM   #19
M3ryder55
Major

yeahh.. black it is, just a thought its something I've wanted to do but yeah black
      01-27-2014, 09:44 AM   #20
mkoesel

Drives: 2015 Felt IA2

Quote:
well i prefer they were unpainted/or black stock like the e9x because for me at least its one less area of the car to touch when modding it to the look you want.
Ok, sounds reasonable. sure.

Quote:
I'm not a fan of the blue because i feel like it will be hard to match w/.. ie.. mineral grey, SK, and blue calipers?
SK? Forgive me for not understanding that shorthand.

Quote:
idk this is subjective obviously. I've always liked that bronze/gold brake caliper look though and feel like the ccb's calipers and color just fit this new gen so well and can match w/ many combos more friendly. And since I got to paint them I might as well do a color I'd like. Thats what i meant.

THE ISSUE here is that the blue calipers are not going to match many of the standard colors available. BMW has done an incredible job w/ this new generation IMO in every area. But the colors are disastrous. I'm trying to convince myself to like
I really don't understand how gold is a better match for the palette of exterior colors? Sure there is AY, but there is also YMB which looks great with the blue brakes. Those two exterior colors aside, either blue or gold brake calipers are going to offer a contrast to the sheet metal paint color which is exactly what they are intended to do by the way.

And, if I am honest, I have to say I just don't understand when or why we are now gravitating toward gold accents on cars today. Maybe I am just getting too old, but I have always done everything I can to keep golden-colored anything off of my car and that isn't likely to change. Blue? Sure, blue is great. But gold? I mean are people now painting intakes, valve covers, gold? Gold stripes down the car is next? I kid, but you know.
      01-27-2014, 10:00 AM   #21
nonagon
Lieutenant

Drives: '12 X3 35i M Sport

If you plan on getting black sapphire, mineral gray, AW, MW, because they are neutral colors, either brake colors work. With SO either brake color is complementary. With YMB the blue brakes somewhat match and the CCBs are complementary. With AY the CCBs somewhat match and the blue brakes are complementary. Everything works.
nonagon is offline   United_States
      01-27-2014, 10:25 AM   #22
dmk08
///Maniac

Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
2011 BMW M3 E92  [0.00]
I would think most are not getting the brakes. I know I am not for sure. I will likely leave them blue as I'm going Mineral Grey.