BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-08-2013, 11:12 PM   #1
SlowSaloonM3
Major General
 
SlowSaloonM3's Avatar
 
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: lost angeles

Posts: 7,014
iTrader: (0)

AUTOMOBILE preview of the M4

I don't know if all of this corresponds to the info that has been available through this site. But here are some pics.

Twin turbo only (not three for better throttle response) and 0-62 in 4.4 seconds for you straight line folks (compared to the power to acceleration thread on here). 420/400 at 3300 lbs equals 4.4 seconds? Other stuff included are that the mstripe on the roof is an available option, grills will be dark silver vs. black on the prototype, lighter than the 428/435, carbon fiber lip on prototype will not be in carbon fiber, diffuser is only for the prototype, and some more. There were no comments on those nice exhaust tips though!

I'm curious as to what their sources are at Automobile magazine.

Twin turbo and 4.4 second part.


3300 lbs mention.


Cheers.
__________________
the intardnet is 95% troll, 5% actual good shit. so are my posts.
my channel: pkim
SlowSaloonM3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-08-2013, 11:33 PM   #2
Ezio
Colonel
 
Ezio's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 E92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: MI

Posts: 2,580
iTrader: (0)

four turbos lol
__________________
Ezio is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-09-2013, 12:33 AM   #3
solstice
Colonel
 
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Seattle

Posts: 2,050
iTrader: (0)

While I think I'm pretty much the only one here that think that configured optimally for low weight the F80 will weigh in at 33XX lbs I'm not quick to believe these kind of articles. I think the 230 lbs lighter than an E92 DCT car is a new number and could mean something but it can just as well just be mathematics from taking an E92 number and subtract the rumour of 3300 lbs.

All this data, i.e 3300 lbs, EPS and 420/400 TT 3l I6 would still hold my interrest by I'm very skeptic to their validity. It just sounds like a set of the most common rumours and the VIN leaks.

This close to official reveal I'll not get my hopes up or down on any data that isn't released directly by BMW. Thanks for posting though, I still enjoy reading everything written about the car.

The part I like the most is the Nitschke quote with exlamation mark about this cars primary progress is the weight reduction. It should mean that it's just not hot air but something somewhat significant.
solstice is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-09-2013, 02:04 AM   #4
SlowSaloonM3
Major General
 
SlowSaloonM3's Avatar
 
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: lost angeles

Posts: 7,014
iTrader: (0)

Yeah i put this up because it deviates from what has been previously posted on these boards. Interesting.
__________________
the intardnet is 95% troll, 5% actual good shit. so are my posts.
my channel: pkim
SlowSaloonM3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-09-2013, 02:45 AM   #5
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
 
Robin_NL's Avatar
 
Drives: AW 1M , Assetto Corsa
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: The Netherlands, Europe

Posts: 4,682
iTrader: (0)

Less weight and way more torque. In real life driving, the things I need the most.

The torque/ overboost through gears I get on my car is so addictive and puts a smile on my face every time I accellerate out of a bend.

It's not important at all, torque, looking at it from a scientific point of view so they say.

Well let me be the one with the non scientific hillbilly approach:
It just works more than fine in real life

Just like Chris Harris found out comparing the F40 to the F50...

Cheers
Robin
Robin_NL is offline   Netherlands
0
Reply With Quote
      09-09-2013, 07:38 AM   #6
GOLFFRR
 
GOLFFRR's Avatar
 
Drives: Golf Cart
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Solvang, CA/Camarillo, CA

Posts: 15,640
iTrader: (4)

interesting. As we all know we will just have to wait and see. It will be also interesting to see how close all these sources were once the real specs come out.
__________________

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL US FIRST WE CAN HOOK YOU UP!
Need a quote or assistance from David? GO HERE-->http://www.bimmerdavid.com/#!blank/c1r1e
Davids current ED Special M235/228--> http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1013211
GOLFFRR is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-09-2013, 07:44 AM   #7
Chill72
Banned
 
Chill72's Avatar
 
Drives: 10 E92 M3 (RIP)
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Germany

Posts: 896
iTrader: (0)

Hmm I still think the new M3/4 will come with 450 HP, unless they start off with 420 and bump it up to 450 via Competiton Package.

I need some factual info already! FAK!
Chill72 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-09-2013, 09:02 AM   #8
Kuwen
Private First Class
 
Drives: .
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Canada

Posts: 127
iTrader: (0)

http://m.automobilemag.com/features/...mw_m4_concept/
Kuwen is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-09-2013, 09:36 AM   #9
RMB
Lieutenant
 
RMB's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 Cayenne S
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Virginia

Posts: 567
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chill72
Hmm I still think the new M3/4 will come with 450 HP, unless they start off with 420 and bump it up to 450 via Competiton Package.

I need some factual info already! FAK!
+1000
RMB is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-09-2013, 10:34 AM   #10
SlowSaloonM3
Major General
 
SlowSaloonM3's Avatar
 
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: lost angeles

Posts: 7,014
iTrader: (0)

Yeah according to the hp/tq formula wouldnt 420/400 mean a lower redline. 6500? Something like that?
__________________
the intardnet is 95% troll, 5% actual good shit. so are my posts.
my channel: pkim
SlowSaloonM3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-09-2013, 06:41 PM   #11
turbolag
is nonexistent with N/A
 
turbolag's Avatar
 
Drives: .
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: .

Posts: 1,124
iTrader: (0)

8 spd DCT? The faaaaack?
turbolag is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-09-2013, 06:43 PM   #12
SlowSaloonM3
Major General
 
SlowSaloonM3's Avatar
 
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: lost angeles

Posts: 7,014
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbolag View Post
8 spd DCT? The faaaaack?
lol im in 8th going 40mph at 350rpm LOL.
__________________
the intardnet is 95% troll, 5% actual good shit. so are my posts.
my channel: pkim
SlowSaloonM3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-09-2013, 08:27 PM   #13
mkoesel
Moderator
 
Drives: 2015 Felt IA2
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canton, MI

Posts: 13,635
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbolag View Post
8 spd DCT? The faaaaack?
How about ten?

https://www.google.com/search?q=vw+10+speed+dct
__________________
-
mkoesel is online now   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-09-2013, 10:06 PM   #14
Rated R
First Lieutenant
 
Rated R's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Porsche GT3
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Sherhood, OR.

Posts: 346
iTrader: (0)

Given that the RS5 has 450 I would hope that 450 is the number to meet or exceed.
__________________
'11 Porsche GT3 (Sold)
Rated R is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-10-2013, 01:11 AM   #15
FogCityM3
Major
 
FogCityM3's Avatar
 
Drives: M3 (E90)
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: San Francisco

Posts: 1,492
iTrader: (0)

Weight to power in the 7.85 range...that number seems about right vs the M5/6.
FogCityM3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-10-2013, 11:20 AM   #16
swamp2
Lieutenant General
 
swamp2's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Diego, CA USA

Posts: 10,141
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_NL View Post
Less weight and way more torque. In real life driving, the things I need the most.

The torque/ overboost through gears I get on my car is so addictive and puts a smile on my face every time I accellerate out of a bend.

It's not important at all, torque, looking at it from a scientific point of view so they say.

Well let me be the one with the non scientific hillbilly approach:
It just works more than fine in real life
You can continue to be confused about torque vs. power. You simply can not feel engine crank torque, you must know torque AND gearing to arrive at any sort of anything you can actually feel/sense/measure. The only other acceptable torque-ish parameter that is physically meaningful is force at the rear wheels (wheel torque / wheel radius) which depends on transmission and final drive ratio.
__________________
E92 M3 | Space Gray on Fox Red | M-DCT | CF Roof | RAC RG63 Wheels | Brembo 380mm BBK |
| Vorsteiner Ti Exhaust | Matte Black Grilles/Side Gills/Rear Emblem/Mirrors |
| Alekshop Back up Camera | GP Thunders | BMW Aluminum Pedals | Elite Angels |
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |
swamp2 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-10-2013, 12:24 PM   #17
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
 
Robin_NL's Avatar
 
Drives: AW 1M , Assetto Corsa
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: The Netherlands, Europe

Posts: 4,682
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
You can continue to be confused about torque vs. power. You simply can not feel engine crank torque, you must know torque AND gearing to arrive at any sort of anything you can actually feel/sense/measure. The only other acceptable torque-ish parameter that is physically meaningful is force at the rear wheels (wheel torque / wheel radius) which depends on transmission and final drive ratio.
I'm not confused at all mate

No worries, I just know a lot of torque(at the wheels) can come in very handy and makes the experience even better than without...

Having had a E90 M3 6MT and currently my turbocharged >550Nm @ 2500rpm silly pocketrocket, I know (without scientific approaches at all) the new M3/4 with whatever twin/triturbo engine layout will be so much more powerful fun @ 'any' revs than the outgoing M3...

That's all.

I'm looking at it from a driver's point of view of a guy who isn't @ any trackday every weekend...
...well come to think of it: this weekend @ Papenburg Germany, Mercedes Benz testtrack we have a trackday again

And if you say people cannot feel 'any' torque whatsoever, I'm glad to take you for a ride in my pocketrocket, then we'll'talk again
Cheers
Robin
Robin_NL is offline   Netherlands
0
Reply With Quote
      09-10-2013, 06:40 PM   #18
Gonven
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: BMW X6
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Portugal

Posts: 308
iTrader: (0)

In BMW M facebook page with this title "No BMW M4 Coupé at the IAA fair in Frankfurt - we are working full steam..."

Gonven is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-10-2013, 07:11 PM   #19
SlowSaloonM3
Major General
 
SlowSaloonM3's Avatar
 
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: lost angeles

Posts: 7,014
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_NL
Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
You can continue to be confused about torque vs. power. You simply can not feel engine crank torque, you must know torque AND gearing to arrive at any sort of anything you can actually feel/sense/measure. The only other acceptable torque-ish parameter that is physically meaningful is force at the rear wheels (wheel torque / wheel radius) which depends on transmission and final drive ratio.
I'm not confused at all mate

No worries, I just know a lot of torque(at the wheels) can come in very handy and makes the experience even better than without...

Having had a E90 M3 6MT and currently my turbocharged >550Nm @ 2500rpm silly pocketrocket, I know (without scientific approaches at all) the new M3/4 with whatever twin/triturbo engine layout will be so much more powerful fun @ 'any' revs than the outgoing M3...

That's all.

I'm looking at it from a driver's point of view of a guy who isn't @ any trackday every weekend...
...well come to think of it: this weekend @ Papenburg Germany, Mercedes Benz testtrack we have a trackday again

And if you say people cannot feel 'any' torque whatsoever, I'm glad to take you for a ride in my pocketrocket, then we'll'talk again
Cheers
Robin
Which pocketrocket? 1m coupe? Those things are badass.

Torque down low will be great so long as that torque doesnt drop at 5000rpms. Thats the thing about the current m3. Just keeps pulling to 8400 revs is the difference. I would expect at least the same.
__________________
the intardnet is 95% troll, 5% actual good shit. so are my posts.
my channel: pkim
SlowSaloonM3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-10-2013, 09:34 PM   #20
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
 
Drives: 2015 M4 Coupe, 2012 ML350
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Lake Oswego, OR

Posts: 7,496
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
While I think I'm pretty much the only one here that think that configured optimally for low weight the F80 will weigh in at 33XX lbs I'm not quick to believe these kind of articles. I think the 230 lbs lighter than an E92 DCT car is a new number and could mean something but it can just as well just be mathematics from taking an E92 number and subtract the rumour of 3300 lbs.

All this data, i.e 3300 lbs, EPS and 420/400 TT 3l I6 would still hold my interrest by I'm very skeptic to their validity. It just sounds like a set of the most common rumours and the VIN leaks.

This close to official reveal I'll not get my hopes up or down on any data that isn't released directly by BMW. Thanks for posting though, I still enjoy reading everything written about the car.

The part I like the most is the Nitschke quote with exlamation mark about this cars primary progress is the weight reduction. It should mean that it's just not hot air but something somewhat significant.
Hear you on the weight. There are all kinds of figures used, unladen weight (my '06 Coupe was listed at 3,704 lb), dry weight, curb weight, DIN weight... -230 lb is better than I was expecting, frankly, but I don't know how that gets to 3,300. And DCT, I believe, adds close to 150 lbs (anyone have firm numbers?). All in all, sound promising; I would not be disappointed even at 420 hp.
__________________

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2015 M4 Coupe - Silverstone/Sakhir/CF
2012 ML350
GregW / Oregon is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-10-2013, 09:37 PM   #21
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
 
Drives: 2015 M4 Coupe, 2012 ML350
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Lake Oswego, OR

Posts: 7,496
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
M4 vs RS5 hp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rated R View Post
Given that the RS5 has 450 I would hope that 450 is the number to meet or exceed.
RS5 is a pig at 4,009 lb., only 317 lb. ft., and not balanced. Don't see that the horsepower needs to match to put it in the weeds.
__________________

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2015 M4 Coupe - Silverstone/Sakhir/CF
2012 ML350
GregW / Oregon is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-11-2013, 12:40 AM   #22
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
 
Robin_NL's Avatar
 
Drives: AW 1M , Assetto Corsa
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: The Netherlands, Europe

Posts: 4,682
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079 View Post
Which pocketrocket? 1m coupe? Those things are badass.

Torque down low will be great so long as that torque doesnt drop at 5000rpms. Thats the thing about the current m3. Just keeps pulling to 8400 revs is the difference. I would expect at least the same.
It 's pulling to redline(7000)

IRL the E9x M3 is faster beyond 230kmh/140mph.

Below that speeds its exactly the opposite. And sometimes by quite a margin...

Power/weight.

Cheers
Robin
Robin_NL is offline   Netherlands
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:14 AM.




f80post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST