BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-22-2013, 07:21 PM   #1
JoM3z
4
Lieutenant
 
JoM3z's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 CP F10 M5 - Alpine White
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Mars

Posts: 407
iTrader: (1)

AutoExpress F80 M3 Article

This is quite interesting as far as price points. It looks to be on par with the current price point for a well optioned brand new M3. Design wise is right on target with the renders we've seen posted on here.

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/bmw/3-s...w-m3-uncovered
JoM3z is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      05-22-2013, 07:27 PM   #2
Majin Buu
3
Banned
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Canada

Posts: 324
iTrader: (0)

Already seeing a few things I like. Manual still offered. RWD. Weight reduction. Hydraulic steering. I just really really hope it doesn't pump out some stupid fake engine noise from the entertainment system's speakers.
Majin Buu is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      05-22-2013, 07:32 PM   #3
Needsdecaf
19
Everything's Bigger in Texas!
 
Drives: Porsche Tractor
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: The Woodlands, TX

Posts: 1,943
iTrader: (0)

I love how they say "exclusive images" like that's supposed to mean they're official. LOL. It just means they paid someone to make those renderings and no one else has them.

ROFLMAO.
Needsdecaf is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      05-22-2013, 07:38 PM   #4
mkoesel
137
Moderator
 
Drives: 2015 SO/CSAT F80 M3
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canton, MI

Posts: 13,781
iTrader: (1)

Thanks for posting. Always interesting to hear rumors from different corners of the automotive press.

This comment caught my eye:

"Unlike the M5s reworked version of BMWs 4.4-litre twin-turbo V8, the new engine will be used exclusively in M models, not appearing in any lesser cars."

As we bimmer-geeks already know, this is misleading. The M5's "reworked version" of the standard N63 V8 is called the S63Tu and indeed does not appear in any lesser cars either. Similarly, the M3's S55 I6 will be based on the N55 and it too will be used only in M vehicles. So the situation is essentially the same.

The claim of hydraulic steering also seems dubious at this point given all the rumors to the contrary. Possible though, I suppose.
__________________
A gen-u-ine BMW eff-eight-zero with them tandem clutches in the transmission and that dad gum sun roof on the top-a da cawr.
mkoesel is online now   United_States
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      05-22-2013, 10:13 PM   #5
OneMmmm
2
Second Lieutenant
 
OneMmmm's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Texas

Posts: 240
iTrader: (0)

I'm not as impressed with these renderings as some of the previous images we've seen. This really doesn't look significantly different from a well optioned and OEM modified F30 335i.

I'm sure the real deal will be a stunner, but this can't be it.
OneMmmm is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      05-22-2013, 10:32 PM   #6
solstice
25
Colonel
 
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Seattle

Posts: 2,475
iTrader: (0)

Hydraulic steering just makes so much sense in the M cars at this point in time. They are very low volume in the overall production so a small mpg hit should not make much of a dent in BMWs average. I guess HPS is now a strong sales advantage for a car in this segment and the M3 pretty much have to be the pinnacle of the ultimate driving machine. I really hope this rumour is true. I'd order the car untested with confidence if it has HPS, I might do that anyway but I will be worried if it has EPS. Not to say that EPS has to be bad but the likelihood of it being on par with HPS today is slim.
solstice is online now  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      05-22-2013, 11:10 PM   #7
fuddman
6
Captain
 
Drives: 528-maybe
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: California

Posts: 696
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoM3z View Post
It looks to be on par with the current price point for a well optioned brand new M3.
May not be on a par with current price point.

Well optioned E92 = $75,575
Estimated 2014 M3 UK cost=55,000 British Pounds = $83,307
fuddman is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      05-23-2013, 06:33 AM   #8
RMB
5
Lieutenant
 
RMB's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 Cayenne S
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Virginia

Posts: 571
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
If the M3 will be in the 80K's, where will that leave the M4. I thought everyone speculated that the M4 would be more expensive just like the M6 to M5 comparison. But how much more expensive is the question.
RMB is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      05-23-2013, 07:06 AM   #9
turbolag
11
is nonexistent with N/A
 
turbolag's Avatar
 
Drives: .
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: .

Posts: 1,124
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuddman View Post
May not be on a par with current price point.

Well optioned E92 = $75,575
Estimated 2014 M3 UK cost=55,000 British Pounds = $83,307
Cars are also generally more expensive in Europe...
turbolag is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      05-23-2013, 07:20 AM   #10
mkoesel
137
Moderator
 
Drives: 2015 SO/CSAT F80 M3
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canton, MI

Posts: 13,781
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMB View Post
If the M3 will be in the 80K's, where will that leave the M4. I thought everyone speculated that the M4 would be more expensive just like the M6 to M5 comparison. But how much more expensive is the question.
There was speculation that the new 4 Series would markedly widen the gap in pricing that existed between the previous generation 3 Series coupe and sedan. It only made sense given the new branding strategy.

However, current rumors are that this won't necessarily be the case. See this thread:

http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=778461

If things play out this way, then we can be pretty well assured that the price differential between the M3 and M4 will follow a similar pattern (< 10%, let's call it).

That having been said, I would expect the new M3 to increase the price vs. the outgoing M3 significantly, just as has been the case for past generations. I am expecting the base US price for the M3 to be very close to, but still less than, $70k USD. The M4 price, then, would be somewhere in the mid to high $70k range.
__________________
A gen-u-ine BMW eff-eight-zero with them tandem clutches in the transmission and that dad gum sun roof on the top-a da cawr.
mkoesel is online now   United_States
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      05-23-2013, 08:56 AM   #11
RMB
5
Lieutenant
 
RMB's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 Cayenne S
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Virginia

Posts: 571
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Thank you for the link and the information. Much appreciated.
RMB is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      05-23-2013, 06:21 PM   #12
Jblack4083
7
Captain
 
Drives: E46 ///M3 JB/CB
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Queens, NYC

Posts: 795
iTrader: (0)

I still have a feeling they will use EPS and not hydraulic steering. BMW has a trend of declaring that they have perfected a technology that we would have otherwise thought would take away from the dynamics of the vehicle. I forsee a sport tuned and updated EPS system. Porsche is doing it too. BMW will be like "why not" !
Jblack4083 is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      05-23-2013, 10:43 PM   #13
Rambler
2
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 DCT ZCP
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Eastern Connecticut

Posts: 260
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMmmm View Post
I'm not as impressed with these renderings as some of the previous images we've seen. This really doesn't look significantly different from a well optioned and OEM modified F30 335i.

I'm sure the real deal will be a stunner, but this can't be it.
+1, not impressed at all with those renderings as they exhibit nothing special about the car.
Rambler is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      05-26-2013, 09:28 PM   #14
Hujan
18
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: 2013 E92 M3; 2010 Z4 35i
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: San Diego, CA

Posts: 1,853
iTrader: (4)

Not feeling those renders.
Hujan is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      05-28-2013, 10:22 PM   #15
gblansten
22
Beandoc
 
gblansten's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 BMW M5 SG/SS
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Thick ascending limb

Posts: 2,207
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jblack4083 View Post
I still have a feeling they will use EPS and not hydraulic steering. BMW has a trend of declaring that they have perfected a technology that we would have otherwise thought would take away from the dynamics of the vehicle. I forsee a sport tuned and updated EPS system. Porsche is doing it too. BMW will be like "why not" !
I agree. I will be shocked if they stay with hydraulic steering for the M3/4.
gblansten is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      06-12-2013, 08:02 AM   #16
Hoosiers
0
Private
 
Drives: 2008 M3 Coupe White
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NC

Posts: 97
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
Hydraulic steering just makes so much sense in the M cars at this point in time. They are very low volume in the overall production so a small mpg hit should not make much of a dent in BMWs average. I guess HPS is now a strong sales advantage for a car in this segment and the M3 pretty much have to be the pinnacle of the ultimate driving machine. I really hope this rumour is true. I'd order the car untested with confidence if it has HPS, I might do that anyway but I will be worried if it has EPS. Not to say that EPS has to be bad but the likelihood of it being on par with HPS today is slim.
Agree 100%. If confirmed, the hydraulic steering ALONE would justify my order payment not just because it will provide better steering feel, but because it would symbolize correcting the "M" and even "BMW" mindset that the company has lost with recent models (see M5/M6, F30)

But I'm not keeping my fingers crossed. Let's see how many times the "M"arketing department can mention "efficient".
Hoosiers is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      06-12-2013, 08:51 AM   #17
Levi
36
Brigadier General
 
Levi's Avatar
 
Drives: Alfa Romeo
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Prague

Posts: 3,386
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoosiers View Post
Agree 100%. If confirmed, the hydraulic steering ALONE would justify my order payment not just because it will provide better steering feel, but because it would symbolize correcting the "M" and even "BMW" mindset that the company has lost with recent models (see M5/M6, F30)

But I'm not keeping my fingers crossed. Let's see how many times the "M"arketing department can mention "efficient".
That is not the info I have. I'm told EPS.
Levi is offline   Czech_Republic
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      06-12-2013, 09:19 AM   #18
Hoosiers
0
Private
 
Drives: 2008 M3 Coupe White
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NC

Posts: 97
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
That is not the info I have. I'm told EPS.
Information you're told by an anonymous BMW insider vs a reputable auto magazine. Maybe you're right, but "I have information the M3 has been developed with the U.S. Air Force and it's radar signature is smaller than a hummingbird to avoid costly speeding tickets."
Hoosiers is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      06-16-2013, 11:26 PM   #19
sunsweet
13
Captain
 
sunsweet's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 ZCP ED+PCD Only Owner
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NC

Posts: 872
iTrader: (0)

If it cannot beat the GT-R then it will be just another car who is not worth owning. The E92 has the benefit of NA engines. But a TC M3 that cannot beat the GT-R also TC what's the point ? Yes it will be cheaper than a GT-R but still premium money to get beaten by a Nissan. I am almost sure the M4 will feature a launch like on the GT-R. But I can already see the magazines showing Godzilla destroying the M3 (again!).
sunsweet is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      06-17-2013, 05:12 AM   #20
LarThaL
26
Colonel
 
LarThaL's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 M3
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: West Springfield, MA

Posts: 2,612
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsweet View Post
If it cannot beat the GT-R then it will be just another car who is not worth owning. The E92 has the benefit of NA engines. But a TC M3 that cannot beat the GT-R also TC what's the point ? Yes it will be cheaper than a GT-R but still premium money to get beaten by a Nissan. I am almost sure the M4 will feature a launch like on the GT-R. But I can already see the magazines showing Godzilla destroying the M3 (again!).
If you want a car that will beat the GTR off the line, it is going to have to be AWD. The M3/M4 is not just about straight line performance. Never has been. FWIW, from a roll, an M6 will pull on a GTR.
__________________
Precision tool: 2011 BMW ///M3
Sledgehammer: 2014 Audi S6

LarThaL is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      06-17-2013, 06:47 AM   #21
mkoesel
137
Moderator
 
Drives: 2015 SO/CSAT F80 M3
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canton, MI

Posts: 13,781
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsweet View Post
But a TC M3 that cannot beat the GT-R also TC what's the point ?
There are lots of turbocharged AMGs that can't touch a GTR (and you can soon add W205 AMG C Class to that list). In fact, there are really only a handful of cars in existence that can.
__________________
A gen-u-ine BMW eff-eight-zero with them tandem clutches in the transmission and that dad gum sun roof on the top-a da cawr.
mkoesel is online now   United_States
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      06-17-2013, 10:49 AM   #22
solstice
25
Colonel
 
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Seattle

Posts: 2,475
iTrader: (0)

Power figures and drag strip numbers is of very limited interest to me when you go FI. Heck BMW pulled 1300 hp out of a 1.5l TC 4 banger already in the 1980s. We all know that a TC M car will be very powerful stock and a total beast with a tune. Focus changes to how the power is delivered with FI, I.e how lag free and responsive it is and how well it holds power towards an elevated redline. That is IMO what will determine how great of an FI M engine it is, not if it can hang with a GTR on the strip.
solstice is online now  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
2014 bmw m3, 2014 m3, 2014 m3 forum, 2015 bmw m3, 2015 bmw m4, 2015 m3, 2015 m4, bmw f80, bmw f80 forum, bmw f80 forums, bmw f80 m3, bmw f80 m3 sedan, bmw f82, bmw f82 forum, bmw f82 forums, bmw f82 m3, bmw f82 m3 coupe, bmw f82 m3 forum, bmw f82 m4, bmw f82 m4 coupe, bmw f83, bmw f83 m3, bmw f83 m4, bmw m forum, bmw m forums, bmw m4, bmw m4 coupe, bmw m4 coupe forum, bmw m4 forum, bmw m4 forums, f80, f80 forum, f80 forums, f80 m3, f80 m3 forum, f80 m3 forums, f80 m3 sedan, f82, f82 coupe, f82 forum, f82 forums, f82 m3, f82 m3 coupe, f82 m3 forum, f82 m4, f82 m4 coupe, f82 m4 forum, f82 m4 forums, f83 m3, f83 m4, m forum, m forums, m3 f80, m3 f80 forum, m3 f80 forums, m4 forum, m4 forums

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:09 AM.




f80post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST