BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-15-2014, 02:00 AM   #1
BMW M3 CRT
Second Lieutenant
BMW M3 CRT's Avatar
17
Rep
266
Posts

 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Germany

iTrader: (0)

AMS claims M3/M4 Nurburgring Lap Time of ~7.50min !

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
In the today print issue of AMS (Auto Motor Sport) is an track driving review of the MotoGP M4 on Losail Circuit in Qatar. They also claimed the S55 as not so sharply throttle responsive as the old S65, but because of the overall performance this doesn´t matter much, there is enough power out of the engine and with the Akrapovic Performance Exhaust it sounds like an/the V8.

Included is an small article about an comparison between M3 vs. M4 ... in this article they quoted for M3 and M4 identical performance and identical (reached) Nurburgring times of round 7.50 min !!!

Greetings BMW M3 CRT
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2014, 05:33 AM   #2
mdss6
Private First Class
mdss6's Avatar
Belgium
5
Rep
122
Posts

 
Drives: 1990 928GT
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Soignies, BE

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Hi. Is NOS the Nürburgring Nordschleife? (I'm assuming not New Old Stock or National Oceanic Service) And is this an estimated time from a virtual comparison, or did they actually drive real examples for this test?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2014, 05:44 AM   #3
BMW M3 CRT
Second Lieutenant
BMW M3 CRT's Avatar
17
Rep
266
Posts

 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Germany

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdss6 View Post
Hi. Is NOS the Nürburgring Nordschleife? (I'm assuming not New Old Stock or National Oceanic Service)
YES ... you are right

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdss6 View Post
And is this an estimated time from a virtual comparison, or did they actually drive real examples for this test?

Thanks!
I don´t know were this time come from ... but AMS is the (normal street car) sister magazine of SPORTAUTO - the reference magazine for NOS times.
And the drivers and authors of this AMS article (Jens Dralle->MotoGP-M4/Christian Gebhardt->M3) are also main testers of SPORTAUTO together with the wellknown Supertest driver and author HvS.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2014, 07:14 AM   #4
CanAutM3
Brigadier General
CanAutM3's Avatar
Canada
69
Rep
4,349
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 M4 DCT
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Montreal

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [4.75]
2006 Audi S4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW M3 CRT View Post
YES ... you are right


I don´t know were this time come from ... but AMS is the (normal street car) sister magazine of SPORTAUTO - the reference magazine for NOS times.
And the drivers and authors of this AMS article (Jens Dralle->MotoGP-M4/Christian Gebhardt->M3) are also main testers of SPORTAUTO together with the wellknown Supertest driver and author HvS.
Maybe it comes from BMW during the press drives. IIRC, BMW said that the F8X was 15sec quicker that the E9X around the 'ring. AMS probably simply deduced 15sec from their 8:05 time with the E9X.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2014, 08:46 AM   #5
m3ct
First Lieutenant
11
Rep
340
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 Audi S4, 2015 M3 MW
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Stamford, CT

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
Maybe it comes from BMW during the press drives. IIRC, BMW said that the F8X was 15sec quicker that the E9X around the 'ring. AMS probably simply deduced 15sec from their 8:05 time with the E9X.
I thought BMW said "more than 10 seconds faster," not 15?
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2014, 09:30 AM   #6
CanAutM3
Brigadier General
CanAutM3's Avatar
Canada
69
Rep
4,349
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 M4 DCT
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Montreal

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [4.75]
2006 Audi S4  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3ct View Post
I thought BMW said "more than 10 seconds faster," not 15?
They said "more than 10 seconds" at the original launch. I read in several articles that BMW was more specific at the press drive event in Portugal citing 15 seconds.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2014, 11:22 AM   #7
Boss330
Brigadier General
Boss330's Avatar
Norway
80
Rep
3,703
Posts

 
Drives: F10 5xxi N53B30 - AC Schnitzer
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Norway, Scandinavia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW M3 CRT View Post
YES ... you are right


I don´t know were this time come from ... but AMS is the (normal street car) sister magazine of SPORTAUTO - the reference magazine for NOS times.
And the drivers and authors of this AMS article (Jens Dralle->MotoGP-M4/Christian Gebhardt->M3) are also main testers of SPORTAUTO together with the wellknown Supertest driver and author HvS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by m3ct View Post
I thought BMW said "more than 10 seconds faster," not 15?
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
They said "more than 10 seconds" at the original launch. I read in several articles that BMW was more specific at the press drive event in Portugal citing 15 seconds.
Yes, at the Portugal event they said 15s quicker on the Nürburgring. This has also been mentioned in several other posts after that event.

I think that swamp2 also expected a similar improvement, based on his simulations, some time ago? (sometime after the launch where they said more than 10s)
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2014, 11:28 AM   #8
solstice
Colonel
46
Rep
2,568
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Seattle

iTrader: (0)

Yes, the 15s has been mentioned by many journalists as the number given by BMW in Portugal. I would think that's conservative since it's a new car while the E9X has had a full model cycle to improve it's times and we'll see 20s before the F8X hand over to the next generation.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2014, 12:07 PM   #9
Powerslide
Captain
United_States
31
Rep
753
Posts

 
Drives: '15 AY M3 (sold 2008 E93 M3)
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Chicago Illinois USA

iTrader: (0)

M4 Nurburgring Nordschleife Lap Time 7:50 Per May 12 Autoblog Review?

Wow - so a quote toward the end of the Autoblog Review of the M4 from May 12:

"For those obsessed with numbers, BMW says this M4 coupe will lap the famed Nürburgring Nordschleife a full 15 seconds quicker than its predecessor (and five seconds quicker than the current F10 M5)."

Since the E9x was 8:05 and the F10 M5 was 7:55, a 7:50 is a pretty good time! (Although I was actually hoping for a little better). I have not, however, seen this laptime posted anywhere else, which makes me wonder if it is not truly the best time for the F8x generation, or if BMW may be trying to get yet an even better time.

Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2014, 12:40 PM   #10
Boss330
Brigadier General
Boss330's Avatar
Norway
80
Rep
3,703
Posts

 
Drives: F10 5xxi N53B30 - AC Schnitzer
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Norway, Scandinavia

iTrader: (0)



http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=985945

EDIT:

This reply was to the above post when it was posted as a new thread (just above this thread on the General M3/4 forum...)
The mods have since merged the this with the original thread on this topic

Last edited by Boss330; 05-15-2014 at 12:55 PM.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2014, 01:05 PM   #11
Suave
Major
Suave's Avatar
United_States
34
Rep
1,323
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 F80 M3
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Montgomery County, PA

iTrader: (0)

Very happy with that result. The race is on to see who can record under 7:50. Im going to let Sabine Schmitz give it a go during our ED in my M3
__________________
MY LOADED AW-FULL SO F80 IS AVAILABLE FOR SALE OR LEASE! $821+Tax OR $67500:
http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...9#post17081929
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2014, 01:12 PM   #12
RPiM5
Brigadier General
RPiM5's Avatar
90
Rep
4,843
Posts

 
Drives: Riviera Blue F10 M5(Mika)
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Washington, D.C.

iTrader: (0)

The original 2012 F10 M5 got the 7:55 lap time.

Since then, Competition Package for the F10 M5 now has a time of 7:45 around the Nordschliefe.

M6 without Comp Pack is faster than 7:45 and with Comp Pack who knows probably another 10 seconds faster.

Awesome that they reportedly got the new M4 to be 15 seconds faster. I think it's a great achievement. Would love to drive a new M4 on the Nordschliefe one day too.
__________________
Why did Santa Claus buy a BMW M5 instead of an M4? Because he needed the back seats for his Ho Ho Ho's.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2014, 01:15 PM   #13
Boss330
Brigadier General
Boss330's Avatar
Norway
80
Rep
3,703
Posts

 
Drives: F10 5xxi N53B30 - AC Schnitzer
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Norway, Scandinavia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
The original 2012 F10 M5 got the 7:55 lap time.

Since then, Competition Package for the F10 M5 now has a time of 7:45 around the Nordschliefe.

M6 without Comp Pack is faster than 7:45 and with Comp Pack who knows probably another 10 seconds faster.

Awesome that they reportedly got the new M4 to be 15 seconds faster. I think it's a great achievement. Would love to drive a new M4 on the Nordschliefe one day too.
Who did the 7:45 time?

Sure it's not a BTG time? The only really comparable times we have are the Sport Auto times as they are done with known spec and same driver.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2014, 01:20 PM   #14
RPiM5
Brigadier General
RPiM5's Avatar
90
Rep
4,843
Posts

 
Drives: Riviera Blue F10 M5(Mika)
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Washington, D.C.

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss330 View Post
Who did the 7:45 time?

Sure it's not a BTG time? The only really comparable times we have are the Sport Auto times as they are done with known spec and same driver.
It's unknown who drove the 7:45 time. BMW has only ever stated that with the Comp Pack the F10 M5 is 10 seconds faster around the Ring. That was from BMW officially.
__________________
Why did Santa Claus buy a BMW M5 instead of an M4? Because he needed the back seats for his Ho Ho Ho's.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2014, 01:25 PM   #15
turbo8765
Lieutenant
6
Rep
564
Posts

 
Drives: very fast
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: US

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
The original 2012 F10 M5 got the 7:55 lap time.

Since then, Competition Package for the F10 M5 now has a time of 7:45 around the Nordschliefe.

M6 without Comp Pack is faster than 7:45 and with Comp Pack who knows probably another 10 seconds faster.

Awesome that they reportedly got the new M4 to be 15 seconds faster. I think it's a great achievement. Would love to drive a new M4 on the Nordschliefe one day too.
Reference? AFAIK no one has officially tested the M5 Comp.

IIRC Sport Auto ran an 8:03 in the F10 non comp.

There were rumors of a 7:55 with zero supporting evidence.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2014, 01:29 PM   #16
turbo8765
Lieutenant
6
Rep
564
Posts

 
Drives: very fast
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: US

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by solstice View Post
Yes, the 15s has been mentioned by many journalists as the number given by BMW in Portugal. I would think that's conservative since it's a new car while the E9X has had a full model cycle to improve it's times and we'll see 20s before the F8X hand over to the next generation.
The 8:05 posted by Sport Auto was soon after the E92 launch.

The stock time will not change significantly over the life of the model.... only small changes due to track conditions, ambient conditions, driver, and changes in tire compound if the original compound becomes unavailable.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2014, 01:33 PM   #17
RPiM5
Brigadier General
RPiM5's Avatar
90
Rep
4,843
Posts

 
Drives: Riviera Blue F10 M5(Mika)
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Washington, D.C.

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo8765 View Post
Reference? AFAIK no one has officially tested the M5 Comp.

IIRC Sport Auto ran an 8:03 in the F10 non comp.

There were rumors of a 7:55 with zero supporting evidence.
From Bimmerpost Members back in the day.
http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=549428

Autoblog
http://www.autoblog.com/2011/06/27/u...n-time-at-the/


On Estoril, Max Ahme, responsible for the chassis development at BMW M GmbH, said: “With Competition Package, the M5 is 10 seconds faster on the Nordschleife (of the Nürburgring)” This would mean the lap time dropped from 7 minute 55 to 7: 45.
"575 HP 2014 BMW M5 On-Track Review By Dutch FIA Champion Henny Hemmes" -The Auto Channel.Com

F13 M6 no Comp Pack 7:44 - BTG.
http://fastestlaps.com/cars/bmw_m6_2012.html

There are no recorded times known for F13 M6 Comp Package around the Ring. But one can guess it would be a solid 10 seconds faster than 7:44 BTG. Putting it at, at least 7:34 BTG, which would put it at around the same Ring times as the Audi R8 GT and Konigsegg CCX. Now that's a FAST BMW!
__________________
Why did Santa Claus buy a BMW M5 instead of an M4? Because he needed the back seats for his Ho Ho Ho's.

Last edited by RPiM5; 05-15-2014 at 01:42 PM.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2014, 01:37 PM   #18
Boss330
Brigadier General
Boss330's Avatar
Norway
80
Rep
3,703
Posts

 
Drives: F10 5xxi N53B30 - AC Schnitzer
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Norway, Scandinavia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
It's unknown who drove the 7:45 time. BMW has only ever stated that with the Comp Pack the F10 M5 is 10 seconds faster around the Ring. That was from BMW officially.
Sport Auto did a 8:05 time with the M5 (non CP) here:

http://www.sportauto.de/supertest/bm...95.html?show=4

If BMW claim the CP is 10s faster that would put it at 7:55...
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2014, 01:44 PM   #19
RPiM5
Brigadier General
RPiM5's Avatar
90
Rep
4,843
Posts

 
Drives: Riviera Blue F10 M5(Mika)
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Washington, D.C.

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss330 View Post
Sport Auto did a 8:05 time with the M5 (non CP) here:

http://www.sportauto.de/supertest/bm...95.html?show=4

If BMW claim the CP is 10s faster that would put it at 7:55...
Yeah that's cool. I like go off of the fastestlaptime website.

http://fastestlaps.com/tracks/nordschleife.html
__________________
Why did Santa Claus buy a BMW M5 instead of an M4? Because he needed the back seats for his Ho Ho Ho's.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2014, 01:53 PM   #20
solstice
Colonel
46
Rep
2,568
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Seattle

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo8765 View Post
The 8:05 posted by Sport Auto was soon after the E92 launch.

The stock time will not change significantly over the life of the model.... only small changes due to track conditions, ambient conditions, driver, and changes in tire compound if the original compound becomes unavailable.
This is a good point and furthermore it could be that BMW is not saying that the F8X is 15s faster than the 8:05 time. Same with the M5/M6 times comp. pkg or not. They are relative times to an unknown reference. It could be that on the same day with the same driver the F82 was 15s faster than an unknown time set that time for the E92 M3. That time could be 8:05 but it could also be 8:10 or 8:00 or just about any number...
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2014, 01:57 PM   #21
turbo8765
Lieutenant
6
Rep
564
Posts

 
Drives: very fast
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: US

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
From Bimmerpost Members back in the day.
http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=549428

Autoblog
http://www.autoblog.com/2011/06/27/u...n-time-at-the/


On Estoril, Max Ahme, responsible for the chassis development at BMW M GmbH, said: “With Competition Package, the M5 is 10 seconds faster on the Nordschleife (of the Nürburgring)” This would mean the lap time dropped from 7 minute 55 to 7: 45.
"575 HP 2014 BMW M5 On-Track Review By Dutch FIA Champion Henny Hemmes" -The Auto Channel.Com

F13 M6 no Comp Pack 7:44 - BTG.
http://fastestlaps.com/cars/bmw_m6_2012.html

There are no recorded times known for F13 M6 Comp Package around the Ring. But one can guess it would be a solid 10 seconds faster than 7:44 BTG. Putting it at, at least 7:34 BTG.
The forum posts, autoblog, and other sites were all driven by the same rumor.

The rumor started during a press event. It was never backed up by any data. When BMW were asked to confirm the 7:55 they responded that they don't quote lap times. There's no video and no data. BMW won't publish or even verbally confirm... you decide.

The ONLY way to know what the M6 comp will do is to test. I'd bet a grand or so it's not 10 sec faster BTG than the non comp. The F10 comp was 0.1 sec faster than the non-comp at Hockenheim short.

The M6 non comp was 0.3 sec slower than the M5 non comp at Hoeckheim short. THE M6 COMP WAS 0.4 sec SLOWER THAN THE M6 NON COMP at Hockenheim short.

My point is that you can't assume, you have to test. And the results aren't always what you would've predicted, and that the only reliable full ring time for the M5/6 that I know of is the 8:0x by sport auto.
Appreciate 0
      05-15-2014, 02:00 PM   #22
turbo8765
Lieutenant
6
Rep
564
Posts

 
Drives: very fast
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: US

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
Yeah that's cool. I like go off of the fastestlaptime website.

http://fastestlaps.com/tracks/nordschleife.html
Unfortunately it looks like fastestlaptime.com bit on the same rumor. I like that site as well. If you google it, it's been written about.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:14 AM.




f80post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST