proTUNING Freaks
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > BMW M3 (F80) and BMW M4 (F82) General Forum

08-07-2014, 09:01 AM   #199
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by bing240sx View Post
i'm very upset that i cannot watch this video... not willing to pay $4 a month for DRIVE when they didnt put new content up every day anyhow.

only really interested in the CH reviews as well. everything else was meh.
Sign up, watch it, cancel the subscription before the end of the free period. It's worth the 5 minute effort to sign up and cancel
2015 M4 | Austin Yellow | DCT
2012 MB C63AMG | 2011 E92 M3 | 2010 E92 M3
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 09:07 AM   #200
gthal
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
How different was that to the Steve Sutcliffe review?

I absolutely loved the shot of all the generations lined up. What a great family history.

And guys, he LOVES this car.

And before the engine noise mob pop in: "Not as good as the V8, but it's a good noise" --> what so many of us has been saying all along.
Most people put more credibility on Chris' reviews than pretty much anyone. He is one of the most accepted and respected reviewers in the car world. I'm not suggesting what he says is gospel or others won't have varying reviews but if it is comparing a Sutcliffe review or a Harris review, there is FAR more credibility with Chris.

I believe he is less impacted by bias and more open to all cars than many reviewers. He has loved cars from most manufacturers and this was one of his more positive reviews... on a similar level to review of the 991 GT3 Don't get me wrong, I'm not comparing the M3/4 to a GT3 but his review of each was similarly glowing. One thing Chris does well is review a car for what it is... that is, he doesn't let his experience in a Porsche 918 or GT3 a week earlier taint his perception of the next car he drives. He holds that car to a standard appropriate for the car.

Guys like Stutcliffe have a bias and aren't even shy to say it (which is a good thing) . Clarkson is as much about theatrics as he is the actual car review. Harris is the real deal blending a fun style, non-bias and supremely knowledgeable perspective. If he had disliked the M3/4, I would have been wondering if I had missed something in my own view of the car and probably started questioning myself (well, not really but it might have impacted a buy decision had I not already bought the car)
2015 M4 | Austin Yellow | DCT
2012 MB C63AMG | 2011 E92 M3 | 2010 E92 M3
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 09:16 AM   #201
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by gthal View Post
Most people put more credibility on Chris' reviews than pretty much anyone. He is one of the most accepted and respected reviewers in the car world. I'm not suggesting what he says is gospel or others won't have varying reviews but if it is comparing a Sutcliffe review or a Harris review, there is FAR more credibility with Chris.

I believe he is less impacted by bias and more open to all cars than many reviewers. He has loved cars from most manufacturers and this was one of his more positive reviews... on a similar level to review of the 991 GT3 Don't get me wrong, I'm not comparing the M3/4 to a GT3 but his review of each was similarly glowing. One thing Chris does well is review a car for what it is... that is, he doesn't let his experience in a Porsche 918 or GT3 a week earlier taint his perception of the next car he drives. He holds that car to a standard appropriate for the car.

Guys like Stutcliffe have a bias and aren't even shy to say it (which is a good thing) . Clarkson is as much about theatrics as he is the actual car review. Harris is the real deal blending a fun style, non-bias and supremely knowledgeable perspective. If he had disliked the M3/4, I would have been wondering if I had missed something in my own view of the car and probably started questioning myself (well, not really but it might have impacted a buy decision had I not already bought the car)
Completely agree with you. He's one of those guys where I wouldn't mind chatting with at a bar because you could tell he's down to Earth and not a snob (unlike let's say Matt Farrah).

And as you said, he'll review a 918, then jump into an MK7 GTI and still have great things to say about it. Likewise, he's not afraid to put a car down either (remember the M135i vs RS3 comparison?). And who can forget when he called BS on Ferrari's way of handling press cars (and subsequently got banned from driving them until he really started becoming popular).

I think what makes it even more relevant is that he has an E30 M3 Evo now, AND he used to own an E92. It doesn't get much more relevant than that IMO.

It's a shame that it took so long for them to release this video (and I expected it to be longer than 30 mins), but that sure made my morning.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 09:18 AM   #202
Brosef
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

just watched it. without question the best review yet of the M3. glad he drove the M3 sedan (and preferred it for himself). you can just see by his shameless, giddy excitement that he loves the car.

while I can't say I'm happy about them charging money for these videos, you really have to hand it to them with their cinematography. this video had some really awesome long sweeping turns on the 'circuit' that were filmed beautifully.

I'll probably stick it out for a month or two past the free trial since Harris is simply the best, but I have a feeling that fat doofus Matt Farah is going to bother me enough that I'll ultimately cancel.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 09:39 AM   #203
F82_SID
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6mt HK Silver

Wow! Great review and cant believe it was sooo positive. The only slightly bad comment was about the sound and then he goes on to say that after some time with it, he actually really like the sound.
      08-07-2014, 09:39 AM   #204
Damasconian
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4

Why is everyone hating on Farah? He loves cars and produces goo reviews.

Just because his daddy is head of Ralph Lauren doesn't make him a dick.

The real d-bag of online auto vids is that bald clown Roy....forget his last name. Looks as if Drive has forgotten about him too.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 10:12 AM   #205
somer
Major
Rep
Drives: F10 M5 CP

Here's a link to one somebody put up on dailymotion guys:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x22...s-on-cars_auto
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 10:22 AM   #206
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

I think he is spot on. His comparisons with the E9x M fit exactly with my impressions.

"It's so much faster and far more effective on the road it just leaves the old car dead... it moves the game on massively from the old car"

Harris' credibility and objectivity is so much better than Clarkson; Chris has clarity that leaves Jeremy looking rather silly at times. Both are fun, but if you want a review that can help your buying decision, it's no contest. And Sutcliffe? He often comes across as a bit of a compromised worm, looking for succor from whatever company he can flatter.

Looking forward to the segment that has Harris' interviews with the engineers.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 11:29 AM   #207
Andrew115
Major
Rep
Drives: Silver Bullet

anyone find the other video he referenced about talking with the engineers about the changes/updates?
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 11:31 AM   #208
RPiM5
Major General
Rep
Drives: Mexico Blue F10 M5(Mika)

After watching the video, now I want one even more, but it also makes me excited for the next generation M5, which will be so much lighter and better than the F10.

Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 11:31 AM   #209
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by stressdoc View Post
I think he is spot on. His comparisons with the E9x M fit exactly with my impressions.

"It's so much faster and far more effective on the road it just leaves the old car dead... it moves the game on massively from the old car"

Harris' credibility and objectivity is so much better than Clarkson; Chris has clarity that leaves Jeremy looking rather silly at times. Both are fun, but if you want a review that can help your buying decision, it's no contest. And Sutcliffe? He often comes across as a bit of a compromised worm, looking for succor from whatever company he can flatter.

Looking forward to the segment that has Harris' interviews with the engineers.
Not to mention he properly races too.

I think Top Gear and Drive are aimed at 2 different crowds. Top Gear is much more for entertainment, although I will say their stuff is getting rather repetitive nowadays.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 11:43 AM   #210
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by stressdoc View Post
I think he is spot on. His comparisons with the E9x M fit exactly with my impressions ... Looking forward to the segment that has Harris' interviews with the engineers.
Yeah, Chris is great although this review is so late that it didn't add much for me. I like Carlos Lago about as much and I liked his review a bit better than this one and, of course, it was more timely.

I guess CH doesn't need the money or maybe he's doing other things but it's odd that he's not adding more content like the engineers video. Seems like he could have a few hours of content on the M4 alone, it would get huge views, and be very profitable. I'm surprising how little of his stuff there is.

As for Farrah, Spinelli, Matt Farah, and Alex Roy ... I like them all and I thought they fit together with Chris pretty well. Most people don't like Roy, his segments got horrible reviews and comments AFAIK but I loved them. His Iceland trip was great.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 11:48 AM   #211
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrussGott View Post
Yeah, Chris is great although this review is so late that it didn't add much for me. I like Carlos Lago about as much and I liked his review a bit better than this one and, of course, it was more timely.

I guess CH doesn't need the money or maybe he's doing other things but it's odd that he's not adding more content like the engineers video. Seems like he could have a few hours of content on the M4 alone, it would get huge views, and be very profitable. I'm surprising how little of his stuff there is.
agree with all of this. not really an impact video for me at all. cool to see, but didn't add much

I also thought lagos review was better with more substance. the dyno etc...
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 11:48 AM   #212
GrussGott
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4 Comp Indv

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
Top Gear is much more for entertainment, although I will say their stuff is getting rather repetitive nowadays.
+1000 - I stopped watching it 5 years ago. Clarkson is ridiculous and none of their content gives me a feel for what it would be like to drive the cars.

Reviewers like Tiff, Lago and Harris are fun, but because the cars are fun and they're having fun driving them. i don't need the cheesy douch veneer over the whole thing.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 12:40 PM   #213
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

Agreed.

Quote:

As for Farrah, Spinelli, Matt Farah, and Alex Roy ... I like them all and I thought they fit together with Chris pretty well. Most people don't like Roy, his segments got horrible reviews and comments AFAIK but I loved them. His Iceland trip was great.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 12:54 PM   #214
gblansten
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 23 Tesla S Plaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPiM5 View Post
After watching the video, now I want one even more, but it also makes me excited for the next generation M5, which will be so much lighter and better than the F10.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 01:04 PM   #215
chaver
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: Audi S6 2007, Future F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbc View Post
Here's a link to one somebody put up on dailymotion guys:

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x22...s-on-cars_auto
great video , how do I download to my PC?
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 05:41 PM   #216
bqn109com
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 15' F82 M4,07' E60 M5,12' X5M

Dailymotion video link has been removed
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 06:26 PM   #217
tooch
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82

I can't watch it , its been removed. Anybody know where to go to see it?

96 E31 JB
07 E92 AW
F82 BSM
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 06:47 PM   #218
myzmak
Advocatus Douchebagus. Sex Marxist.
Canada
Rep
Drives: Lucy.

Garage List
2015 F80 M3  [10.00]
2013 MB E350 Wagon  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by gthal View Post
Sign up, watch it, cancel the subscription before the end of the free period. It's worth the 5 minute effort to sign up and cancel
Yup. Doesn't even take 5 min.

Anyway, a great video and a good review. (at last)
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 06:50 PM   #219
thebigcheese
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Soooo why is this not going up on youtube?
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2014, 07:42 PM   #220
ersin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 YMB F80 M3

Quote:
I can't understand why Alex Roy got horrible reviews. I like him. And Matt's pretty good too. Spinelli? Meh.

Cheers.