09-04-2013, 11:57 PM   #186
Ezio
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 Alfa Romeo, 2023 m240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_NL View Post
Am I the only one who didn't like the crossplane crankshaft V8 sound of the E9x M3 as much as the E46 M3 i6 sound?

Sure, @ cold start it sounded like a NASCAR in my garage but so does my 1M (even better but after 30 seconds it's more silent tbh)

I prefer bigger displacement crossplane V8s like the AMG/Corvettes(because of more USEABLE torque) or just a good old (Ferrari) flatplane crankshaft V8.

I know the current 4.0 V8 is derived from the M5 V10('just' 2 cylinders cut off so to speak) but I never found it some kind of a gem in the first place.

To go really fast I should keep it above 4000rpm all the time and the icing on the cake was between 7000 and 8400rpm. Fantastic. But in real life those are revs I did'nt even come close to as a daily.

And we all might know a 1650kg M3 is not as sporty as let's say a Porker in that price/hp range.

It was a nice and special daily, but for its way too high pricetag not just like my ex E46 M3 and my current car. But that's my own mistake...

Cheers
Robin
Its a gem because the nature of the engine is not common. Its just a different more track engine, than road engine. i love it ! its not for everyone!

I love how its a tiny V8, again i like different.

they just don't make engines them anymore, everything is more daily driver focused now. good down low power, good MPG. etc.

This engine is special because its from a time when BMW put MPG aside and made a engine.

The people who like the V8 sound are the ones who have a E9x m3. the ones that love the inline engines are the ones who comment on here with 335i or any other non E60 M5/e92 m3. thats the funny part.

on a side note, i hit red line about on average 3 times a day in my m3. i may have more hair on my chest though.
Appreciate 0