View Single Post
      10-24-2013, 12:09 PM   #30
solstice
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahlzeit View Post
Yep - it has the latch system. As does the new 2.

This came up recently w/ a few friends with whom I was debating 911 vs BMW sport-oriented cars' practicality.

It is worth noting that the 991 is the first 911 to have the latch system in place. With young kids and being concerned with safety via a solidly mounted seat - that BMW wins hands down, all the way up until the 991 - which steps into an entirely different price range.

Also to consider when thinking BMW vs 911, for kids: rear side airbags. I'm very pleased to know my 1-series has rear side airbags. I don't think any 911 has rear side airbags. One friend has a 964 - pretty and super fun, but nowhere near safe enough, even for the driver compared to modern cars. Another friend has 996TT,.... better driver safety, but rear seat safety for kids? Not sure the 996 has rear airbags. Wonder if the 991 has em....
Yes, unfortunately I had to drop the 991 idea. It does have latch but it does not have rear head rests ( not an option ) and the rear back rest is not very high which would be a problem as my nearly 9 year old is very tall and would be without neck support. This is sad for me who would love a 991 as my DD since once my oldest can sit up front at the age of 13 my youngest will now be 8 and she is also very tall. No 991 for me, I put my hopes in the upcoming smaller Porsche sedan to slot in underneath the Panny in size. I never understood how anyone can buy a car in the 991 price range and magnificent DD abilities to let it sit in the garage most of the week for the occassional wekend drive. That would kill me, so that's not an option.
Appreciate 0