02-16-2014, 11:48 AM   #30
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by catpat8000 View Post
I have no doubt the new M3 will be better than the M5 in terms of lag but I can guarantee those of you saying the M5 has no detectable lag are wrong. It does have lag and if you can't feel it, either you haven't really driven this car or you don't know what lag feels like.

But I also know who I am replying to and I know you've never ever made a mistake in your whole life, so I don't expect you to acknowledge that now.
I think you must mistake me for someone else
I have made many mistakes. and also here on the forums I have been wrong

As elitex says below, I also know what turbo lag feels like. I own a 1988 Ford Sierra Cosworth which has a 2l, 8:1CR, 1bar boost engine at 270-300hp. That engine HAS lag and it's wait for it, wait for it, THERE it comes all at once! Good fun to drive, but hopeless on a twisty track as it's hard work to keep the engine on boost

As I said above, a turbo engine will NOT be like a good high performance NA engine. There is bound to be a delay, but there is a difference between a 1-2sec delay and a 0,2-0,5s delay. It's not as if boost builds slowly in Sports mode in the M5 and takes a few seconds to go from 0 boost to max boost. Yes, there is a delay (as there will be in any turbo engine) but when it takes less than 0,5s to build full boost then that isn't all that bad IMHO

So, I'm not sure where you and I differ. We both agree that a turbo engine is bound to have a minimum of lag. And everyone I know of (including people like Chris Harris) also agrees that the M5 is in a elite group of very few turbo cars when it comes to throttle response. I even made a point of saying that a turbo engine won't be as responsive as a NA engine, just to avoid being accused of saying that the M5 is as responsive as such an engine... But apparently I wasn't clear enough

I have driven the F10 M5 on the autobahn (and on normal street roads) to over 250km/h if that counts, with multiple accelerations and passes

Quote:
Originally Posted by elitex View Post
I know what turbo lag feels like. I owned an Audi A4 and that thing was horrible. I also know how to differentiate lazy throttle and turbo lag.

M5 turbo lag is very minimal. If you're expecting it to be like an M3 then I understand the feeling.
Agree 100%

The M5 is also two different beasts in this regard when it's in normal mode and in Sports mode. And in Normal mode, even my NA N53B30 feels like it has lag. It's not lag obviously, just a "lazy" throttle setting in the fly by wire throttle. The throttle isn't connected via mechanical linkage anymore, so in Normal mode there seems to be a delay between accelerator pedal input and actual throttle valve movement. That disappears in Sport mode and the engine feels much more responsive, in fact it doesn't just feel more responsive. It is more responsive since the throttle valve responds quicker to gas pedal input

Lag and lazy throttle can often be confused.

Last edited by Boss330; 02-16-2014 at 11:57 AM..
Appreciate 0